Joined Harvard Sportsmans Club

dumb question, What targets are used for the 200/300yd. range and do we need to provide them? Are you shooting from the bench with a rest?

You can shoot at any target you feel comfortable with, so long as your shots are on paper. An AR is going to drop a couple inches from a 100 yard zero, 30.06 and .308 about four or five.

A rest is very helpful, but you don't have to use one. If you want to borrow one, and a rear bag, just ask.

We aren't looking for bullseyes, we're looking for a group--you can always dial a correction later.

If you are impacting below your target, a spotter will suggest a hold that will allow you to print a group.

If you're all over the place for reasons OTHER than a total lack of fundamentals (and yes, we can tell the difference), the more experienced shooters will often break out torque wrenches and bits and start troubleshooting your rifle and/or optics. It's how we roll.

ETA: Some of the best-shooting cheap/bargain ammo for the AR is Outback ammo, with the 69 grain Sierra Match King. You can find it for $12 a box.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/adi-o...9-grain-bthp-sierra-match-king-ammo-aob223smk

Last edited:
You know what it takes to make a shot at that range? Everything comes into play that far. Humidity elevation, temp, winds, spin-drift. There's a 6-10 second flight time so you have to shoot it where the targets going to be. Even the coriolis effect, the spin of the earth comes into play.

e: also I qualed by shooting a m4gery with iron sights supported off a 30cal ammo can... its not rocket science you just need to demonstrate that you know how to zero a thing.

Ah, I get it now. You're special, superbly high speed, and a Qual is totally beneath you.

Are you really so retarded as to think that your level of familiarity has ANYTHING in common with, say, 75% (sorry to use magic numbers) of the shooters out there?

I watched a tard try to zero a tapco-f*cked SKS at 200 that he hadn't bothered to zero at 25 much less 50 or 100, and he was impacting rounds 100 yards downrange as his tard spotter kept saying "No idea where that one went". After hearing that three times or four I stopped loading my gear, turned to watch, and saw the impacts.

Yeah he wasn't qualified. Neither was his spotter. In fact they weren't even members at Harvard. Surprise.

As for "We at Granby....". Get over yourself. Please.

You're a real winner aren't you? I never at any point said "we at Granby". It happens to be one of the clubs I belong to and shoot at.

Being a jackass about qualifying for a 200 yard range isn't appropriate and simply confirms what I have written in just about every post here: It is not the qualification, it is the execution, tone, and approach.

You're a real winner aren't you? I never at any point said "we at Granby". It happens to be one of the clubs I belong to and shoot at.

Being a jackass about qualifying for a 200 yard range isn't appropriate and simply confirms what I have written in just about every post here: It is not the qualification, it is the execution, tone, and approach.

Right. I'll work on my personality (lol).

ETA: lol. Thanks for the negative rep, you f*cken toolbag. Thin-skinned much?

Last edited:
"ETA: Some of the best-shooting cheap/bargain ammo for the AR is Outback ammo, with the 69 grain Sierra Match King. You can find it for $12 a box.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/adi-ou...ammo-aob223smk"
Thanks, unfortunately we can't mail order ammo to Ma. Do we need to provide the targets and do we shoot using a rest?

If you're the one in charge of running quals at Harvard I'll say your reputation is well earned.

I'm not in charge of anything, actually.

This is the first I've heard that we have a "reputation", and if you notice, the people who seem to have a problem with the process also seem to have pretty high signal-to-noise personalities.

Last edited:
"ETA: Some of the best-shooting cheap/bargain ammo for the AR is Outback ammo, with the 69 grain Sierra Match King. You can find it for $12 a box.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/adi-ou...ammo-aob223smk"
Thanks, unfortunately we can't mail order ammo to Ma. Do we need to provide the targets and do we shoot using a rest?

Cabelas carries Outback.

You can shoot at any target you feel comfortable with, so long as your shots are on paper.

If you don't have a target, someone will have one you can use.

An AR is going to drop a couple inches from a 100 yard zero, 30.06 and .308 about four or five--so choose target size appropriately. An unmagnified 3 MOA red-dot optic can run into a problem shooting at a 5-inch Shoot-N-See.

A rest is very helpful, but you don't have to use one. If you want to borrow one, and a rear bag, just ask.

We aren't looking for bullseyes, we're looking for a group--you can always dial a correction later.

If you are impacting below your target, a spotter will suggest a hold that will allow you to print a group.

Of course you weren't. lol.

Come Qual at the next go and just STFU about it, OK?

I'll spot for you.
I have no idea why you're throwing a tantrum.

- - - Updated - - -

ETA: lol. Thanks for the negative rep, you f*cken toolbag. Thin-skinned much?
I'm guessing the irony is lost on you.

Anyone else reading: trust me, most HSC members are not like this guy and don't go around insulting others. Please don't let this reflect poorly on the club.

IBTL

I have no idea why you're throwing a tantrum.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm guessing the irony is lost on you.

Anyone else reading: trust me, most HSC members are not like this guy and don't go around insulting others. Please don't let this reflect poorly on the club.

IBTL

Go back and look at your first post in this thread.

ETA: Thanks for joining my negative rep fan club. lol.

Cabelas carries Outback.

You can shoot at any target you feel comfortable with, so long as your shots are on paper.

If you don't have a target, someone will have one you can use.
T
An AR is going to drop a couple inches from a 100 yard zero, 30.06 and .308 about four or five--so choose target size appropriately. An unmagnified 3 MOA red-dot optic can run into a problem shooting at a 5-inch Shoot-N-See.

Thanks for the advise, sorry for starting the pissing contest. I have an AR that I used to shoot Hi-power at Woburn Sportsman club years ago. Fluted barrel and comp trigger w/iron sights so that should work.

The initial conversations convince people not to bother with the qual, perhaps that is his intention.

If Mr. Sawyer was the 'older' gentleman we met at the 250/300 range during my safety walk, I can only describe him as an emotionally-unstable curmudgeon who likes to yell at people. I couldn't tell if he needed a hug, or a sedative....or both. Either way, I wasn't exactly enthusiastic about qualifying and using "his" range after our meeting - methinks, if the issue is THAT severe for Harvard that Mr. Sawyer needs to play-the-role of Gunnery Sgt. Hartman to every new prospect, then maybe they should shut that range down.

BTW, I have absolutely no doubt that I'd pose no risk shooting at that range.

Last edited:
If Mr. Sawyer was the 'older' gentleman we met at the 250/300 range during my safety walk, I can only describe him as an emotionally-unstable curmudgeon who likes to yell at people. I couldn't tell if he needed a hug, or a sedative....or both. Either way, I wasn't exactly enthusiastic about qualifying and using "his" range after our meeting - methinks, if the issue is THAT severe for Harvard that Mr. Sawyer needs to play-the-role of Gunnery Sgt. Hartman to every new prospect, then maybe they should shut that range down.

You'd be surprised (well, maybe you wouldn't be) how many people I've heard similar feedback from. It's an interesting contrast to the person who qualifies members to shoot full auto, whom I met recently and who was very pleasant to chat with.

As previously stated I had my safety walk/brief Sunday and both club members at the 200/300 range were fine to deal with.

If Mr. Sawyer was the 'older' gentleman we met at the 250/300 range during my safety walk, I can only describe him as an emotionally-unstable curmudgeon who likes to yell at people. I couldn't tell if he needed a hug, or a sedative....or both. Either way, I wasn't exactly enthusiastic about qualifying and using "his" range after our meeting - methinks, if the issue is THAT severe for Harvard that Mr. Sawyer needs to play-the-role of Gunnery Sgt. Hartman to every new prospect, then maybe they should shut that range down. BTW, I have absolutely no doubt that I'd pose no risk shooting at that range.
He does come across that way in the beginning. He did mellow out rather quickly and is now very friendly when I see him.

I bet if someone wanted, they could volunteer to take his role over. Not sure if it is an elected position, but I am sure there is a process via BOD or general meeting.

I have zero interest or time to do so, and am happy to shoot at his well maintained, clean range.

Josh, my filter gets overwhelmed easily; you have more tact than I.

My drop at 300 is 5.4" with maybe an inch of drift.

Listen, we completely understand that you don't want rounds ending up in sleepy hollow. However, be honest about it. When you start citing garbage like spindrift at 300 yards, people are going to call you out on it.

A chip shot like 300 at 4 MOA... fine, you have your own criteria and mine wouldn't be that easy. I was laughing because you guys make 200 & 300 yards sound like magic numbers when in reality they aren't more than a chip shot.
So Mr. Blue you think a 4 moa at 300 yds is just a chip shot . I generally think a 12 " miss is a suck shot at 300yd .To each their own expectations I guess.

As previously stated I had my safety walk/brief Sunday and both club members at the 200/300 range were fine to deal with.

Just for the record, I've never heard any complaints about Ed's demeanor (or about the Qual itself) from anybody who has actually been through it.

Basically, Kalash's butthurt stems from a single email (which apparently wounded him to his core). Seriously. That's it.

I suspect Mr. Hugs isn't actually interested in shooting at the 300 anyway.

The residual effect of Ed's theatrics--and yes, I'd say they are theatrics, and yes I mean that fondly--is to underscore the seriousness of the responsibility (responsibility not the difficulty, Mr. Big) of shooting at the 300, and ultimately serves to underscore the notion that bad things can happen accidentally, and you're responsible for every round you send downrange.

His schtick actually works pretty well. People approach the 300 with a more sober mindset--and (not to ruin your ability to savor your butthurt, Mr. Hugs) Ed never turns on the Gunnery Sargeant Hardman routine again, after you've been Qual'd--but of course you would have no way of knowing that, because you have only intereacted with him once, superficially, right?

Lastly--and I shouldn't have to point out the obvious, but I will anyway--yes, the technique Ed uses to get unknown shooters to snap-to is exactly the same social/psychological technique used on new recruits upon thier arrival at basic training. It makes pull their heads out of their asses, and it has worked like gangbusters for as long as there have been armies.

You find that unpleasant? OK. Get over it.

You are way too obsessed with me and I still don't know why. At least buy me dinner before asking for hugs.

Thank you for sharing this. To add a few points... Ed is a Marine, and I believe was a marksmanship instructor at Parris Island, before embarking upon a career in banking and finance. He can be gruff, yes, for the reasons explained so well below, but is a kind and caring man. Treat him with respect, and he'll treat you likewise. He has a great sense of humor, enjoys being ribbed as much as he enjoys dishing it out. He's had interesting life experiences, knows a lot of people. He likes to see as many club members as possible enjoying the 200 and 300 yard ranges. He reinforces good safety practices, yes, and takes his responsibility in that regard seriously. He knows shooting, and is happy to provide guidance to anyone who's receptive, or will hook you up with another knowledgeable member. He coached my then- 13-year-old son through qualifying with an AR-15. His, "Well done," meant a lot to my son. He talked me into going for it with an M1 and irons, insisted, "You can do it." He spotted for me shot-by-shot, and was tickled pink to say, "See, I told you so." Invest the effort to get to know him. He's an asset to the club, and a fine American. Edit to add: Ed is a volunteer and devotes a lot of time to the club and members. The volunteer model for staffing functions and committees is of course common to most clubs. Wherever you shoot, ask what you can do to help out.

Just for the record, I've never heard any complaints about Ed's demeanor (or about the Qual itself) from anybody who has actually been through it.

Basically, Kalash's butthurt stems from a single email (which apparently wounded him to his core). Seriously. That's it.

I suspect Mr. Hugs isn't actually interested in shooting at the 300 anyway.

The residual effect of Ed's theatrics--and yes, I'd say they are theatrics, and yes I mean that fondly--is to underscore the seriousness of the responsibility (responsibility not the difficulty, Mr. Big) of shooting at the 300, and ultimately serves to underscore the notion that bad things can happen accidentally, and you're responsible for every round you send downrange.

His schtick actually works pretty well. People approach the 300 with a more sober mindset--and (not to ruin your ability to savor your butthurt, Mr. Hugs) Ed never turns on the Gunnery Sargeant Hardman routine again, after you've been Qual'd--but of course you would have no way of knowing that, because you have only intereacted with him once, superficially, right?

Lastly--and I shouldn't have to point out the obvious, but I will anyway--yes, the technique Ed uses to get unknown shooters to snap-to is exactly the same social/psychological technique used on new recruits upon thier arrival at basic training. It makes pull their heads out of their asses, and it has worked like gangbusters for as long as there have been armies.

You find that unpleasant? OK. Get over it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom