• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Joined Harvard Sportsmans Club

Thank you, Royal.

FYI, received an email response from Mr. Sawyer regarding qualification at the 200-300 yard range. Perfectly pleasant. Here is the idea (re)summarized:

1) Center fire rifle suitable for 200+ yards.

2) Shoot a group on the 100 yard range to present to the RO on qualification day showing that your rifle is well zero'd. They are not looking for 1/4 inch groups. (I noted ~1 MOA for my set-up in the email. Didn't seem to be a concern.)

3) Eight rounds at the 200 yard range on a 14 inch target. Five of the eight rounds must hit the inner 8 inch ring. (So, that's 4 MOA from the bench).

4) Email Ed or the other other committee members ~1 week ahead of time to ensure that someone will be there on the scheduled qualification date/time (you'll also get qualification instructions).

5) Try to be prompt on the day/time (respectful).

This doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Nervous?

You'll need to have an idea of the ballistics of your rounds from your rifle particularly if you've never shot beyond the 100 yard range. So, ahead of time, figure out your come-up for your rifle at 200 yards. Dial it in (hopefully in the correct direction).

If you've zero'd at 100 yards, you've calculated your adjustment ahead of time, and everything else is working; you'll likely be "on paper" for your first round. On the other-hand, if you are all over the paper on the 100 yard range, then take some time to figure out the issue. There is no point to shoot on a longer range if you or your gun is being inconsistent.

The target is 7 MOA. The objective (target bullseye) is 4 MOA. And, you are doing this from the bench. That seems to be a fairly generous to me.

If there is a "pep talk", remember your fundamentals, relax, get out of your head, and focus. If you are easily spooked then well... guns?

Last edited:
Thank you, Royal.

FYI, received an email response from Mr. Sawyer regarding qualification at the 200-300 yard range. Perfectly pleasant. Here is the idea (re)summarized:

2) Shoot a group on the 100 yard range to present to the RO on qualification day showing that your rifle is well zero'd. They are not looking for 1/4 inch groups. (I noted ~1 MOA for my set-up in the email. Didn't seem to be a concern.)

3) Eight rounds at the 200 yard range on a 14 inch target. Five of the eight rounds must hit the inner 8 inch ring. (So, that's 4 MOA from the bench).

4) Email Ed or the other other committee members ~1 week ahead of time to ensure that someone will be there on the scheduled qualification date/time (you'll also get qualification instructions).

Nervous?

You'll need to have an idea of the ballistics of your rounds from your rifle particularly if you've never shot beyond the 100 yard range. So, ahead of time, figure out your come-up for your rifle at 200 yards. Dial it in (hopefully in the correct direction).

If you've zero'd at 100 yards, you've calculated your adjustment ahead of time, and everything else is working; you'll likely be "on paper" for your first round. On the other-hand, if you are all over the paper on the 100 yard range, then take some time to figure out the issue. There is no point to shoot on a longer range if you or your gun is being inconsistent.

The target is 7 MOA. The objective (target bullseye) is 4 MOA. And, you are doing this from the bench. That seems to be a fairly generous to me.

If there is a "pep talk", remember your fundamentals, relax, get out of your head, and focus. If you are easily spooked then well... guns?
Did anyone qual yesterday?

I joined Harvard without knowing anyone. I walked up to the head honcho (ClarenceFloyd) and said I wanted to join but didn't have a sponsor, and he said hell, I'll be your sponsor. Done deal.

If you are interested in defensive pistol, I'm told the IDPA guys are real good guys, generally. Stop by their practice session and check it out. I think they practice a couple evenings a week spring and summer. Just let them know your beginner status. You'll probably find someone fairly easy to help you along. It is that kind of club. They also offer a class, Intro To IDPA. Ask around about it. That would get you going.

ETA: Getting started with IDPA:
http://www.metrowesttactical.com/resources/idpa/getting-started-idpa

Contact info:

http://www.idpa.com/clubprofile/2135

Bwahahahahaha

I joined Harvard without knowing anyone. I walked up to the head honcho (ClarenceFloyd) and said I wanted to join but didn't have a sponsor, and he said hell, I'll be your sponsor. Done deal.

This type of sponsor ship has certainly happened in the past, but it is currently being discouraged for a member to sponsor anyone that they have not personally shot with a few times and know to be safe and willing to follow the range rules. It has been discussed that if a new member winds up before the board in the first year, it could blow back on the sponsor.

Just saying that anyone that currently shows up without a sponsor is most likely going to be disappointed. Just put in a little work to locate a sponsor.

Thursday brought my "new" M4 to the 100yd range to zero. Took about 20 rds firing 3 rd groups to get it somewhat dialed in. I was shooting at a 25yd pistol target and I don't have a spotting scope. Luckily I was alone so I fire 3 rds, walk down to check hits, walk back and adjust sights, fire 3 more rds, walk down and check hits, etc. Friday brought my competition AR and first 3rds on paper, then 2 more 3rd shot groups and good to go. We'll see what happens at 200/300yds.

Thank you, Royal.

Nervous?

Do you have the email address for the person I need to contact to qual?

Good to hear. One of the crew will be with you spotting and coaching as needed. Relax have fun and enjoy it.
Excellent, I forgot to mention I don't own a spotting scope.

- - - Updated - - -

Good to hear. One of the crew will be with you spotting and coaching as needed. Relax have fun and enjoy it.
Is there a bench/rifle rest at the range?

****** Excellent, I forgot to mention I don't own a spotting scope. - - - Updated - - - ******* Is there a bench/rifle rest at the range?
They will likely have what is needed to spot and call. Yes, it is a covered firing line with benches. Don't know if they have use-able rifle rests. I'd bring a sandbag or a backpack as a rest.

Excellent, I forgot to mention I don't own a spotting scope.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a bench/rifle rest at the range?

Yes, the qual is from the bench. Rifle rests are provided if you need one. When I qual'd, there was a personal spotter for every shooter.

So anyone Qualify at Harvard this weekend ?

Yes, there were around 14 and I think just about everyone qualified (+me). Exception, there may have been one person that was having sight trouble. I don't know if they got that straightened out.

Multiple volunteers spotting. And, they were helping to resolve any problems as they arose. Thanks HSC volunteers.

Last edited:
I was there today and qualified (I was shooter 1 in the first group). Thanks to Ed and all of the other volunteers. I'm mostly an action pistol guy (IDPA & USPSA), but am now looking forward to spending time improving my rifle skills.

I was also in the first group, first 8 shots with my AR were very low, off the target but on the backing. After a few adjustments got my second group on paper, high left. I borrowed a rifle rest, now I need a spotting scope. I think I was the only shooter w/a AR and iron sights.

I was also in the first group, first 8 shots with my AR were very low, off the target but on the backing. After a few adjustments got my second group on paper, high left. I borrowed a rifle rest, now I need a spotting scope. I think I was the only shooter w/a AR and iron sights.
I just zeroed in my new iron sights on the AR and will probably try to make it to quals next month.

since I was shooting an AR I was told by my spotter about 4 inches. It's a little over 200yds.

I'm assuming 5.56, and not .223? Standard 'Federal' load, or a Hornady special?

A zeroed-to-bull 100-yard rifle : 4" drop to 250 sounds about right for a generic Federal 5.56 load, but there may be other factors I'm not thinking-of.

I'm assuming 5.56, and not .223? Standard 'Federal' load, or a Hornady special?

A zeroed-to-bull 100-yard rifle : 4" drop to 250 sounds about right for a generic Federal 5.56 load, but there may be other factors I'm not thinking-of.

Who zeroes a rifle at 100 yards?

It is standard-practice to zero rifles at 100 yards for white-tail hunting.....in Pennsylvania.

Ok... The Army zeroed at 25m and the Marines at 36y for approximate re-zero at 300m/y. The only other zero I'm familiar with is a 50/200 yard zero. I've never seen a 100y zero but I guess if that's all you shoot then go for it...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom