Joined Harvard Sportsmans Club

Ok... The Army zeroed at 25m and the Marines at 36y for approximate re-zero at 300m/y. The only other zero I'm familiar with is a 50/200 yard zero. I've never seen a 100y zero but I guess if that's all you shoot then go for it...
Correct, we zeroed at the 25m range and then were expected to hit targets on a popup range from 50m to 300m.

I was also in the first group, first 8 shots with my AR were very low, off the target but on the backing. After a few adjustments got my second group on paper, high left. I borrowed a rifle rest, now I need a spotting scope. I think I was the only shooter w/a AR and iron sights.

Your initial POI was about 10" low, and was shot using 62 grain XM855.

After your first recorded shots patterned low (10" +/-), you ran out of XM855 and changed ammunition.

You switched from XM855 (which sucks, BTW) to 55 grain PMC TAC. You also dropped your front sight two clicks (which would add four inches to your original XM855 POI)--and the additional muzzle velocity of the XM193 added the rest.

If I recall correctly, after switching to the PMC TAC, you shot an initial 5-shot group of about 3 1/2 inches with iron sights at 200 yards.

That was good shooting.

Add back the two clicks elevation on the front sight, and add 2 clicks right windage and I'd guess you would've been 9- or10-ring.

See you around the range.

Doesn't mean you have to be zeroed at 100 though.

True. You get extra points if you actually know your come-ups at 200 and shoot your 100 yard target with that come-up factored in. That being said, you must be at least sighted in. We had a guy who put two shots downrange before being instructed to cease fire, because none of his shots could be acounted for.

Not only was he not on target, he wasn't on the f*cking 3-foot by 5 foot brown backing paper.

To mark his deviation we had him shoot at the steel silhouette and two spotters were dialed in to mark his splash in the sand. He was three feet left.

Clearly he was a good shooter who was having some sort of mechanical problem. He was instructed to mil the difference between his crosshairs and his impact--and he calculated a 3-mildot left hold.

He was instructed to hold a 3rd mildot correction and send it.

He was acceptably on target.

On progressive firing his POI shifted further right until it was off the paper. He was failed on the Qual.

Last edited:
As mentioned previously, I just zeroed in my sights with 55gr bullets at 25 and I was hitting steel at 100 with every shot. I'm probably going to re-zero at 50, which will make my hold-overs at 100 and 200 pretty similar (less than half an inch difference).

Your initial POI was about 10" low, and was shot using 62 grain XM855.

After your first recorded shots patterned low (10" +/-), you ran out of XM855 and changed ammunition.

You switched from XM855 (which sucks, BTW) to 55 grain PMC TAC. You also dropped your front sight two clicks (which would add four inches to your original XM855 POI)--and the additional muzzle velocity of the XM193 added the rest.

If I recall correctly, after switching to the PMC TAC, you shot an initial 5-shot group of about 3 1/2 inches with iron sights at 200 yards.

That was good shooting.

Add back the two clicks elevation on the front sight, and add 2 clicks right windage and I'd guess you would've been 9- or10-ring.

See you around the range.
Thanks for the clarification.
So you recommend the 55g PMC ammo for my AR with a 1/9 twist barrel for practice ammo?

Download a ballistics app (I'm using Shooting Solution) and play with it. It'll tell you all about POI at various distances, with your zero, and your ammo.

FYI, those apps are only as good as the data you feed them. Without knowing the actual muzzle velocity out of your gun for various temps, they will be limited in accuracy. If all you are doing is hitting steel at 100-200-300 then its fine but don't be surprised if they aren't dead on. Velocities stated on the side of a box are just a starting point.

Agreed. Like I said, they can provide a starting point. I definitely wouldn't go from 50 yards to 1000 based just on that data! However, a rough guideline of whether I'll be a few inches high or a few inches low at, say, 200 or 300, is useful as a ballpark.

Agreed. Like I said, they can provide a starting point. I definitely wouldn't go from 50 yards to 1000 based just on that data! However, a rough guideline of whether I'll be a few inches high or a few inches low at, say, 200 or 300, is useful as a ballpark.

Yea, but that's cheatin'! Where's the practice, the discipline to hit bull at 100 and go from there?

Thanks for the clarification.
So you recommend the 55g PMC ammo for my AR with a 1/9 twist barrel for practice ammo?

Seems to shoot good for you, and it's about as reasonably priced as practice ammo gets for the AR (unless/until you start reloading). Check in with the high-power competiton guys and see if there is a 55-grain load that seems to shoot more consistently, and maybe give it a try. Is your rifle chambered for .223 or 5.56--or .223 Wylde? Even if it is .223, you might want to try shooting different flavors of 5.56 spec ammo through your rifle and see if you run into any problems. The XM855 didn't give you any problems. I think I've hear guys say good things about the consistency of Lituanian ammo (GGG headstamp--5.56 Nato spec) as well as the Australian 5.56.

Next step up for your barrel twist (and better ballistic coefficient for longer range) would be a 69 grain Sierra Match King. The Australian Outback (sold by Cabelas) seeemed like a bargain at the $12/20 round price point. The Israelis make a 69 SMK that Cabelas carries, price is $17/20 rounds--but I think it is more for personal protection (crimped with a cannelure, I think, but check for yourself).

If money is tight I have a beater spotting scope I'd toss you. It's a Bushnell, glass seems decent. I found it at the dump (lol), but it will resolve .30 cal holes at 200--next trip to the range I'll see if it resolves AR holes on a black bullseye and let you know.

Last edited:
Seems to shoot good for you, and it's about as reasonably priced as practice ammo gets for the AR (unless/until you start reloading). Check in with the high-power competiton guys and see if there is a 55-grain load that seems to shoot more consistently, and maybe give it a try. Is your rifle chambered for .223 or 5.56--or .223 Wylde? Even if it is .223, you might want to try shooting different flavors of 5.56 spec ammo through your rifle and see if you run into any problems. The XM855 didn't give you any problems. I think I've hear guys say good things about the consistency of Lituanian ammo (GGG headstamp--5.56 Nato spec) as well as the Australian 5.56.

Next step up for your barrel twist (and better ballistic coefficient for longer range) would be a 69 grain Sierra Match King. The Australian Outback (sold by Cabelas) seeemed like a bargain at the $12/20 round price point. The Israelis make a 69 SMK that Cabelas carries, price is $17/20 rounds--but I think it is more for personal protection (crimped with a cannelure, I think, but check for yourself).

If money is tight I have a beater spotting scope I'd toss you. It's a Bushnell, glass seems decent. I found it at the dump (lol), but it will resolve .30 cal holes at 200--next trip to the range I'll see if it resolves AR holes on a black bullseye and let you know.
This Konus seems to be reasonably priced and according to other posters works at 200/300yds.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...V2B1MyaLCDfN_yZE-W0l4dpgzAbqLXPZaIaAufp8P8HAQ

This Konus seems to be reasonably priced and according to other posters works at 200/300yds.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...V2B1MyaLCDfN_yZE-W0l4dpgzAbqLXPZaIaAufp8P8HAQ

Yes, that scope is an excellent value. It is a very good compromise of weight, waterproofing, ruggedness, and useful features. You'll want to find a tripod of some sort, as the one that comes with is absolutely useless. Optics planet has it for $202 after 12% discount. Amazon also has competitive pricing--$197 with free Amazon Prime shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Konus-7120-2...?ie=UTF8&qid=1497987067&sr=8-5&keywords=konus

Cheapest I've seen it is $179, a price which comes and goes every six months or so depending on where the vendor is in their purchase cycle, trying to accomplish tiers of discounts.

If you have Amazon Prime it probably isn't worth waiting to save the $15.

I think Bushnell offers a spotting scope from the same factory (based on the scope body) and it costs about $30 less, but it lacks the sun shade and the mounting ring which allows you to rotate the scope/eyepiece for most comfortable viewing.

Last edited:
Yes, that scope is an excellent value. It is a very good compromise of weight, waterproofing, ruggedness, and useful features. You'll want to find a tripod of some sort, as the one that comes with is absolutely useless. Optics planet has it for $202 after 12% discount. Amazon also has competitive pricing--$197 with free Amazon Prime shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Konus-7120-2...?ie=UTF8&qid=1497987067&sr=8-5&keywords=konus

Cheapest I've seen it is $179, a price which comes and goes depending on where the vendor is in their purchase cycle, trying to accomplish tiers of discounts.

Current$197.75Jun 20, 2017
Highest *$275.50Jan 21, 2013
Lowest *$172.22Apr 29, 2015

Camel Camel Camel

You can setup price alerts as well. If you buy from Amazon it is a must have.

Thanks for the tip. I love shopping smart, but I waste a sh*tload of time trying to get best price.

ETA: Both of these spotting scopes probably came from the same design specs and/or Chinese factory as the KONUS for 25-50% less money:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0WNX5H?psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YCGS3W?psc=1

I'm curious about the removable eyepiece on the SVBONY--I wonder if the threads are compatible with higher-end eyepieces?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom