• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Joined Harvard Sportsmans Club

giphy.gif

There had to be at least 20 newbies there along w/me. I will be retiring soon, 6 months to 2 yrs. so I'll have plenty of time to play.

I attended the safety brief yesterday morning and now I'm just waiting for Betsy to mail me my card.
"Now get a good Bolt rifle ,Ars suck,and come to a shoot."
Which range? That stuff's big bucks, I need a spotting scope and then need to shoot a shot group at the 100 yd range w/my AR to qualify for the 200-300 yd. range.

The 100 yard group is just to show you are capable of hitting paper at 100 yards. It won't qualify you for 200-300 just allows you to TRY OUT for those ranges with the qualifying range officer there. He will then give you a sticker for your badge that shows you can be at the 200-300 ranges if you show you can hit a target multiple times at that distance.

The 100 yard group is just to show you are capable of hitting paper at 100 yards. It won't qualify you for 200-300 just allows you to TRY OUT for those ranges with the qualifying range officer there. He will then give you a sticker for your badge that shows you can be at the 200-300 ranges if you show you can hit a target multiple times at that distance.
OK, that's in the future.

Nick and Bill(I think that's their names) were at the range when we did our walk around w/Jeff.

Hahahahahahaha

last time was at FT. Dix in 2001 w/iron sights. I'll need a good scope to even see the target at those distances never mind hit it. I own a AR that was built for HI power matches, we'll see.

I think its 8 shots in an 8" target at two hundred yds..I can do it with my M1a National Match iron sights all day.You should have no problem with a scope and an AR.

Hahahahahahaha

If you can't make your rifle group at 100, what's the purpose of shooting at 200?

That being said, demonstrating safe firearms handling is even more important than shooting a competant group.

Ed Sawyer continually underscores at every Qual that a high-power rifle round going over that berm (whether from slamfire or negligent discharge) is going into downtown Harvard.

He does come across a little harsh via email, but once you settle in to the actual qualification, he becomes your best friend.

I see him all around the club now, and he always says hello.

The initial conversations convince people not to bother with the qual, perhaps that is his intention.

I understand a 1000 yard range wanting you to quailfy on a 300-600 first..
I always firgured irons to 300 yards is like point and shoot.

But i respect the "their house their rules" motto

The initial conversations convince people not to bother with the qual, perhaps that is his intention.

Oh. You sobered up.

The process is actually pretty simple. The dates are posted, and notice is given in every Harvard newsletter. You let him know you are coming, and you show up on time. You listen to the safety brief (which admittedly can drone a bit) and then you demonstrate safe marksmanship and a fundamental competence. Fini.

You don't want to come Qual? OK. That's fine. You don't even need a reason.

ETA: Yes, there actually are people who cannot safely shoot at the 300, and those are the ones who don't pass the Qual.

Last edited:
Oh. You sobered up.

The process is actually pretty simple. The dates are posted, and notice is given in every Harvard newsletter. You let him know you are coming, and you show up on time. You listen to the safety brief (which admittedly can drone a bit) and then you demonstrate safe marksmanship and a fundamental competence. Fini.

You don't want to come Qual? OK. That's fine. You don't even need a reason.

ETA: Yes, there actually are people who cannot safely shoot at the 300, and those are the ones who don't pass the Qual.
Yup, that's what we were told at the safety brief.

He does come across a little harsh via email, but once you settle in to the actual qualification, he becomes your best friend.

I see him all around the club now, and he always says hello.
He was a total dick to me via email and I know I'm not the only one who has had similar experiences with him. For example, I was trying to schedule my afternoon around the quals and asked what time he expects the group to wrap up, to which he basically told me to figure out my own shit and not bother him - completely unreasonable, considering I was making his event a priority and was trying to move everything else on my schedule around it. Anyways...

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread but is Harvard (and its community) a good place to learn to shoot? I got my LTC a couple months ago but have been largely constrained to the Boston area since until I recently I didn't have a car. Now that I've taken care of that I'm starting to look for ranges I can grow into and Harvard seems appealing since it has plenty of space outdoors.

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread but is Harvard (and its community) a good place to learn to shoot? I got my LTC a couple months ago but have been largely constrained to the Boston area since until I recently I didn't have a car. Now that I've taken care of that I'm starting to look for ranges I can grow into and Harvard seems appealing since it has plenty of space outdoors.
Define "learn to shoot". Harvard doesn't have dedicated instructors or anything but it has lots of ranges for you to safely practice and become more familiar with your gun(s).

Define "learn to shoot". Harvard doesn't have dedicated instructors or anything but it has lots of ranges for you to safely practice and become more familiar with your gun(s).

One does need to find a sponsor who is at the monthly meeting to join though. Sometimes a bit difficult if one is new to the sport and doesn't know anyone to learn the ropes of becoming a member.

One does need to find a sponsor who is at the monthly meeting to join though. Sometimes a bit difficult if one is new to the sport and doesn't know anyone to learn the ropes of becoming a member.
I highly recommend the club for it's abundant ranges and acreage. Also they have IDPA and USPSA and Cowboy action shoots along with the previously mentioned 100/200/300yd rifle ranges. Once you pay initiation and first year dues($300) w/4hrs work it's only $75.0 a year.

Back
Top Bottom