Joined Harvard Sportsmans Club

Define "learn to shoot". Harvard doesn't have dedicated instructors or anything but it has lots of ranges for you to safely practice and become more familiar with your gun(s).

Well, I figure regardless of where I join I'm going to be spending a bunch of time practicing by myself, but I'm more interested in whether the community at Harvard is welcoming to complete beginners who don't know anyone in the sport. I understand the basics of firearm safety but I've only gone shooting about three times in my life so far.

One does need to find a sponsor who is at the monthly meeting to join though. Sometimes a bit difficult if one is new to the sport and doesn't know anyone to learn the ropes of becoming a member.

This as well. I don't really know anyone who is involved with or interested in guns, which makes things harder.

Well, I figure regardless of where I join I'm going to be spending a bunch of time practicing by myself, but I'm more interested in whether the community at Harvard is welcoming to complete beginners who don't know anyone in the sport. I understand the basics of firearm safety but I've only gone shooting about three times in my life so far.

This as well. I don't really know anyone who is involved with or interested in guns, which makes things harder.
If you're interested PM me or any other member on the forum. I still don't have my card yet and still can't access the grounds but we could meet up for a tour some time after I receive my access card.
http://www.harvardsportsmensclub.com/index.html

Welcoming to a safe shooter I would say yes. Keep safety and the basic rules in mind at all times and you will be fine. There are plenty of reasonable and friendly people at the club. It isn't the only one in the area but certainly the largest in terms of size & facilities.

It's definitely welcoming. A few things to keep in mind:

-Safety is paramount, of course. Follow the rules for a cold range and don't muzzle sweep anyone.
-The rules for each individual range are posted so make sure to follow them.
-If someone talks to you about rules or safety, don't take it personally - we're all responsible for looking out for each other and making sure everyone around us is being safe.

The initial conversations convince people not to bother with the qual, perhaps that is his intention.
He was a total dick to me via email and I know I'm not the only one who has had similar experiences with him. For example, I was trying to schedule my afternoon around the quals and asked what time he expects the group to wrap up, to which he basically told me to figure out my own shit and not bother him - completely unreasonable, considering I was making his event a priority and was trying to move everything else on my schedule around it. Anyways...

I'm not excusing his "tone" via email. That is on him.

I was pissed off at my initial response when notifying him of my intention to qualify. However, I wasn't going to let it stop me from attending and being allowed to use the range I pay for.

As I said, once he did his speil and saw everyone was safe, he lightened up and was very nice.

I joined Harvard without knowing anyone. I walked up to the head honcho (ClarenceFloyd) and said I wanted to join but didn't have a sponsor, and he said hell, I'll be your sponsor. Done deal.

If you are interested in defensive pistol, I'm told the IDPA guys are real good guys, generally. Stop by their practice session and check it out. I think they practice a couple evenings a week spring and summer. Just let them know your beginner status. You'll probably find someone fairly easy to help you along. It is that kind of club. They also offer a class, Intro To IDPA. Ask around about it. That would get you going.

ETA: Getting started with IDPA:
http://www.metrowesttactical.com/resources/idpa/getting-started-idpa

Contact info:

http://www.idpa.com/clubprofile/2135

Last edited:
Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread but is Harvard (and its community) a good place to learn to shoot? I got my LTC a couple months ago but have been largely constrained to the Boston area since until I recently I didn't have a car. Now that I've taken care of that I'm starting to look for ranges I can grow into and Harvard seems appealing since it has plenty of space outdoors.
If you want to learn rifle marksmanship from qualified instructors, I suggest attending an Appleseed event. Harvard is one place that hosts them. Search this forum or google Appleseed project .org

I joined Harvard without knowing anyone. I walked up tothe head honcho and said I wanted to join bu didn't have a sponsor, and he said hell, I'll be your sponsor. Done deal.

If you are interested in defensive pistol, I'm told the IDPA guys are real good guys, generally. Stop by their practice session and check it out. I think they practice a couple evenings a week spring and summer. Just let them know your beginner status. You'll probably find someone fairly easy to help you along. It is that kind of club. They also offer a class, Intro To IDPA. Ask around about it. That would get you going.
Pretty much all of the IPDA guys are great - I don't know about that kalash fella though... [rofl] Anyhow, the intro class happened last month so unfortunately the OP missed it.

Here's our practice schedule: http://www.metrowesttactical.com/practice
Just find whoever is running practice that night (there are also several people helping out, in addition to the main person) and tell them you're new - they'll take care of you. Depending on who's in charge that day, it can be fast paced but as long as you're safe, able to follow range commands, and don't get flustered when someone corrects something you're doing, you'll be fine.

If you want to learn rifle marksmanship from qualified instructors, I suggest attending an Appleseed event. Harvard is one place that hosts them. Search this forum or google Appleseed project .org
+1

There is a one day event there Saturday May, 20th.

Was planning on attending, but have to head out of town.

Oh. You sobered up.

The process is actually pretty simple. The dates are posted, and notice is given in every Harvard newsletter. You let him know you are coming, and you show up on time. You listen to the safety brief (which admittedly can drone a bit) and then you demonstrate safe marksmanship and a fundamental competence. Fini.

You don't want to come Qual? OK. That's fine. You don't even need a reason.

ETA: Yes, there actually are people who cannot safely shoot at the 300, and those are the ones who don't pass the Qual.
and there are more than a few who don't qual. at 200...lots of AR-15 riflemen and women think its easy..

and there are more than a few who don't qual. at 200...lots of AR-15 riflemen and women think its easy..

There was a Secret Service guy who tried to Qual with his duty weapon--a 10.5 inch carbine.

It was a little eye-opening for him when he wasn't even on paper. Not a single shot.

We got him square away, and he passed the Qual.

At 200yds you start to run into bullet drop and wind drift , precision shooting at 300 yds "spin drift " starts to come into play..

At 200yds you start to run into bullet drop and wind drift , precision shooting at 300 yds "spin drift " starts to come into play..

Mostly what Josh said: Edit.

Barely any of what you wrote comes into play at 300. That's pure horse shit. A little bit of bullet drop and perhaps a gust of wind during a hurricane.

Meh.

What is the qual requirement, be on paper at 2-300 yards? Or a minimal grouping?
Im just curious...if its just on paper you could do that with a 10.5" AR. I dont know why you would want to.. its the wrong tool for the job.

i usually shoot 18x30 steel at 230 yards(longest range im a member of) with bursts from my beltfed using a 12"" barrel...i could only image if i swapped for the 16" barrel and actually tried/aimed 400y wouldnt be too hard.As soon as i get my .308 beltfed i want to try 600+ yards from an mg3 tripod.

My big thing is i have a hard time seeing past 300 yards with just irons and wish i could shoot some tracers when shooting 600 yards...its cheating, but would only take me a few shots to be on target.

What is the qual requirement, be on paper at 2-300 yards? Or a minimal grouping? Im just curious...if its just on paper you could do that with a 10.5" AR. I dont know why you would want to.. its the wrong tool for the job. i usually shoot 18x30 steel at 230 yards(longest range im a member of) with bursts from my beltfed using a 12"" barrel...i could only image if i swapped for the 16" barrel and actually tried/aimed 400y wouldnt be too hard.As soon as i get my .308 beltfed i want to try 600+ yards from an mg3 tripod. My big thing is i have a hard time seeing past 300 yards with just irons and wish i could shoot some tracers when shooting 600 yards...its cheating, but would only take me a few shots to be on target.
200. On paper, minimal grouping. If you are the least bit competent, and handle your rifle safely, you get a sticker.

Guys that weren't hitting, the guys running the qual coached onto paper, and were passed.

200. On paper, minimal grouping. If you are the least bit competent, and handle your rifle safely, you get a sticker.

Guys that weren't hitting, the guys running the qual coached onto paper, and were passed.
I'm glad that marksmanship and safety are taken so seriously. Can't shoot unless you qualify and all you have to do to quality is show up and do as told, eh?

I'm just cranky.

I'm glad that marksmanship and safety are taken so seriously. Can't shoot unless you qualify and all you have to do to quality is show up and do as told, eh? I'm just cranky.
I hear ya. I think the main concern is that guys are hitting the backstop and not the ground ahead of it causing a bullet to leave the premesis.

Mostly what Josh said: Edit.

Barely any of what you wrote comes into play at 300. That's pure horse shit. A little bit of bullet drop and perhaps a gust of wind during a hurricane.

Meh.

lol, I decided my response was unnecessarily rude :p I think it's about 1/2" at 300 yards with a .308 so ya.

Ed Sawyer continually underscores at every Qual that a high-power rifle round going over that berm (whether from slamfire or negligent discharge) is going into downtown Harvard.

You say that like it would be a bad thing?

i guess that makes sense to me.. it weeds out the first time shooters.
On a 1000 yard range the lay out and backstop are important..even a skilled shooter(which i am not) could send a flyer way off coarse.

Josh, my filter gets overwhelmed easily; you have more tact than I.

My drop at 300 is 5.4" with maybe an inch of drift.

Listen, we completely understand that you don't want rounds ending up in sleepy hollow. However, be honest about it. When you start citing garbage like spindrift at 300 yards, people are going to call you out on it.

A chip shot like 300 at 4 MOA... fine, you have your own criteria and mine wouldn't be that easy. I was laughing because you guys make 200 & 300 yards sound like magic numbers when in reality they aren't more than a chip shot.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, I'm not bashing the idea of quals either. I wish they were used more by clubs. I've changed out many club target frames etc, and there are some awful or awfully negligent shooters out there and I cringe at the thought of one of my ranges being shut down due to one.

Just to be clear, I'm not bashing the idea of quals either. I wish they were used more by clubs. I've changed out many club target frames etc, and there are some awful or awfully negligent shooters out there and I cringe at the thought of one of my ranges being shut down due to one.

Agreed, my comments are not directed at the concept. It is the execution, tone, and approach.

Granby's qual for 1,000y was well executed, friendly, and he had an open mind. Despite initially ruling out 1,000 with a 5.56, once he saw me consistently on target at 700, we moved to 900 then 1,000. In other words, he overcame his own prejudice and misconceptions once confronted with empirical proof. Now people regularly qualify at 1,000 yards with 5.56 so the club has adjusted to the skill of its shooters.

Honestly, if you are that afraid that people will put a 460 over the berm then your requirement should be 2 MOA not 4. $0.02 I don't want to see ranges shut down either and people are idiots.

Looking at a map, I'd say that in order for a round to end up in the center of town it would have to travel about 3mi and quite a lot to the right. For the first two miles over the berm there's nothing but trees basically.

Josh, my filter gets overwhelmed easily; you have more tact than I.

My drop at 300 is 5.4" with maybe an inch of drift.

Listen, we completely understand that you don't want rounds ending up in sleepy hollow. However, be honest about it. When you start citing garbage like spindrift at 300 yards, people are going to call you out on it.

A chip shot like 300 at 4 MOA... fine, you have your own criteria and mine wouldn't be that easy. I was laughing because you guys make 200 & 300 yards sound like magic numbers when in reality they aren't more than a chip shot.

Ah, I get it now. You're special, superbly high speed, and a Qual is totally beneath you.

Are you really so retarded as to think that your level of familiarity has ANYTHING in common with, say, 75% (sorry to use magic numbers) of the shooters out there?

I watched a tard try to zero a tapco-f*cked SKS at 200 that he hadn't bothered to zero at 25 much less 50 or 100, and he was impacting rounds 100 yards downrange as his tard spotter kept saying "No idea where that one went". After hearing that three times or four I stopped loading my gear, turned to watch, and saw the impacts.

Yeah he wasn't qualified. Neither was his spotter. In fact they weren't even members at Harvard. Surprise.

As for "We at Granby....". Get over yourself. Please.

Last edited:
Looking at a map, I'd say that in order for a round to end up in the center of town it would have to travel about 3mi and quite a lot to the right. For the first two miles over the berm there's nothing but trees basically.

Cool. Sounds like there is nothing to worry about. Right? You should aproach the Harvard leadership with your map and allay their concerns.

Back
Top Bottom