JetBlue jetblows flying with firearm from BOS

If TSA wants to see the the declaration, they call you.

The last two times I had to wait at the gate for TSA to see if they wanted to look at it. One time, the agent said "called TSA, they said to go through" and I walked away. The second time I had to wait for TSA to inspect my bag.

In both cases I first opened the case infront of the airline person, and they had me sign the declaration and put it in the case with the gun.

Then, TSA was called.
The best airport I have been to for dealing with firearms is, of all places, SEATAC. You check in, declare your firearm and they walk you and your bag over to TSA who puts it through the XRay right there in front of you. If they have any questions, they are resolved immediately. And then the bag is into the system and you are free to go through security. No chance of a call back, come unlock, blah blah blah. Seattle. As in washington. as in CA north and a liberal shithole and getting worse. But their airport is efficient for flying with guns. Go figure.

It seems pretty clear that you put the small(er) individually locked cases into your checked bag. I was asking whether the checked bag needed to (should ?) be a hard suitcase ? Or whether it was ok to use a more typical soft sided roller (and then lock the zipper with a TSA lock).

Thanks.
The only way you can use a soft case is if the firearm is in a hard locked case.

you categorically do not want to use a TSA lock as the only security device on your bags

The best airport I have been to for dealing with firearms is, of all places, SEATAC. You check in, declare your firearm and they walk you and your bag over to TSA who puts it through the XRay right there in front of you. If they have any questions, they are resolved immediately. And then the bag is into the system and you are free to go through security. No chance of a call back, come unlock, blah blah blah. Seattle. As in washington. as in CA north and a liberal shithole and getting worse. But their airport is efficient for flying with guns. Go figure.
For me, the best was Boston of all places [laugh]
Also happened to be my first time, but it was so damn simple, I doubt it can get simpler.

I got there 3hrs early as recommended when flying with guns ... I was stuck sitting at the bar for 2.5hrs because the process was so fast.

Maybe it also helped I was flying first class so the line to check bags was different and empty. Not sure.

For me, the best was Boston of all places [laugh]
Also happened to be my first time, but it was so damn simple, I doubt it can get simpler.

I got there 3hrs early as recommended when flying with guns ... I was stuck sitting at the bar for 2.5hrs because the process was so fast.

Maybe it also helped I was flying first class so the line to check bags was different and empty. Not sure.
Boston is OK, but you will get a call back for the declaration tag if they happen to want to see it and the gate agent put it in the wrong place. And you will already be on the secure side. And they will say "we cant bring you to your bag, so give us a key" NO! "you dont have time for us to bring out the bag and go through security again" or whatever lame excuses. I have never given up my keys and I have never missed my flight, but I have heard every reason under the sun to give them my keys.

Pretty much this with a couple of comments.

I have ammo wallets from MTM ammo "wallets" that I put my ammunition in. I usually put that, the magazines, and holster in a gallon zip lock bag. As CrackPot notes the TSA doesn't care even though the regulations say ammo is supposed to go in the original box or "a case suitable for ammunition." Which the wallet is.

Hard or soft suitcase, I cable lock the box to the frame.

I've had to correct airline personnel on the location of the "orange card," but none of them have argued with me about it. They use some sort of tape to affix it to the outside of the box.

I print out a copy of the current TSA regulations and the firearms section of the airlines "Contract of Carriage" just in case.

Ive flown most of the airlines with a handgun, mags and ammo. They essentially are all more restrictive than TSA regulations on what they allow/require. They can't be less restrictive...

What seems to work with ALL airlines is

Gun, open, in lockbox which is cable locked to the frame inside my suitcase.
Magazines with ammo plus a free floating round (+1 in the chamber...) in my nylon electric razor bag.

The look at the gun. There is no ammo and the gun is clearly unlocked. They are happy. Only TSA might notice the ammo in the mags on xray but they don't care. TSA requirements are not violated. There is no way for the airline to figure out the mags/ammo might be in violation of their additional rules.

The only sticky point I have run into is WHERE the declaration tag goes. I want it outside the locked container but inside the suitcase. That way TSA can see I have it and its signed. But some gate agents INSIST on putting it inside the lock container. I don't bother fighting this as they are too stupid. I have been called to TSA to open the lock box so they can see the declaration on occasion. What can you do?

If they try and tape or attach the declaration OUTSIDE the suitcase, I will fight that. Nothing allowed on the suitcase making it clear there is something of value inside.

And yes, now that airtags exist, I have them in all my checked luggage whether there is a gun or not.

It seems pretty clear that you put the small(er) individually locked cases into your checked bag. I was asking whether the checked bag needed to (should ?) be a hard suitcase ? Or whether it was ok to use a more typical soft sided roller (and then lock the zipper with a TSA lock).

Thanks.
I always use a hard-sided case.

Boston is OK, but you will get a call back for the declaration tag if they happen to want to see it and the gate agent put it in the wrong place. And you will already be on the secure side. And they will say "we cant bring you to your bag, so give us a key" NO! "you dont have time for us to bring out the bag and go through security again" or whatever lame excuses. I have never given up my keys and I have never missed my flight, but I have heard every reason under the sun to give them my keys.
My experience was they called TSA to let them know the case was on its way. Then they asked me to wait there until TSA called back. When TSA called back they said I was OK to move on and I went through security.

The tag was inside the locked container. TSA never saw it.

But I have only done this once.

Last edited:
Did they send your bag to a special office or out with everything else?

I was impressed by Delta. I think from now on, when flying with guns, I will fly Delta. It was so easy, and so nice to know the guns go to an office.

I never thought I would be impressed by Delta.

Several years ago I stopped flying with them because they s*cked. I started flying more Jet Blue and United - I hated United, but less than Delta.

Now, Jet Blue s*cks and United is really pushing the envelope to get worst every year, like they try to over achieve on sh*t service.

But Delta seems to have gone the opposite direction and is much better.
The only place I've had multiple issues was San Antonio. I had to go way back in to some TSA room and wait for a guy to show up and hand me my blaster. Minneapolis I've been taken to a separate counter. For some reason it seems like I always have an "issue" with SA. I do fly there a lot so there is that.

When I was flying with my USMC issued weapons and ammo back in the 1990's it was the wild f-ing west and so easy. They must have changed it because of all the American citizen plane hijackings over the last 30 years CONUS. [rofl]

The only way you can use a soft case is if the firearm is in a hard locked case.

you categorically do not want to use a TSA lock as the only security device on your bags
Yes, as I've said, per TSA and Jet Blue policies both the firearm and ammo will be in separate hard cases with non-TSA locks placed inside my checked bag.

The question is if that checked bag should be a hard suitcase....

Also, I was under the impression that checked bags are required to use a TSA lock (or you risk damage when they want to open it) . Is this not true?

Yes, as I've said, per TSA and Jet Blue policies both the firearm and ammo will be in separate hard cases with non-TSA locks placed inside my checked bag.

Also, I was under the impression that checked bags are required to use a TSA lock (or you risk damage when they want to open it) . Is this not true?
Sorry, I misread. It sounded like you didn't want to lock the inner cases.

In that case, a soft suitcase with TSA "locks" is sufficient

Ive flown most of the airlines with a handgun, mags and ammo. They essentially are all more restrictive than TSA regulations on what they allow/require. They can't be less restrictive...

What seems to work with ALL airlines is

Magazines with ammo plus a free floating round (+1 in the chamber...) in my nylon electric razor bag.

The look at the gun. There is no ammo and the gun is clearly unlocked. They are happy. Only TSA might notice the ammo in the mags on xray but they don't care. TSA requirements are not violated. There is no way for the airline to figure out the mags/ammo might be in violation of their additional rules.

The only sticky point I have run into is WHERE the declaration tag goes. I want it outside the locked container but inside the suitcase. That way TSA can see I have it and its signed. But some gate agents INSIST on putting it inside the lock container. I don't bother fighting this as they are too stupid. I have been called to TSA to open the lock box so they can see the declaration on occasion. What can you do?

If they try and tape or attach the declaration OUTSIDE the suitcase, I will fight that. Nothing allowed on the suitcase making it clear there is something of value inside.

And yes, now that airtags exist, I have them in all my checked luggage whether there is a gun or not.
I understand your point about the tag on the outside of the locked case that goes into your locked (larger case), but I prefer the old way of putting the signed tag into the locked case.

I consider this my guarantee that you declared your firearm correctly, that goes in a locked case that no one has the combination/key but you.

When things go awry, people will do anything to save their ass when a mistake is made and if the tag disappears it is your word against theirs that you declared. This is why I will never use a TSA approved lock.

I know an acquaintance who got arrested at Logan while checking a firearm. He was unfamiliar (American citizen, but has a Russian accent) with the check in procedure and picked up the firearm and showed that it was unloaded to the ticket agent.
They gave him his ticket and bag checked, but agent reported it. Security grabbed him and coached the agent about being "concerned" so they could cover their ass.

So, expensive attorney, fine and gun confiscated...and no vacation to Florida.

The moral of my story is I want as little wiggle room for authorities as possible to blame me if a mistake is made. Will it happen, probably not, but I carry a firearm for something that will probably never happen either.

Some airlines may have reevaluated their procedures after an incident in Miami about 6 years ago. Military vet opened fire in bag check area with weapon that came out of a checked bag.

Miami incident

Last edited:
Well there is this one time just a couple years ago that a friend and I went to Alaska for a backpacking trip. Checked guns at Logan which was super easy. Had a transfer in Seattle. After boarding in Seattle, we got called off the plane. TSA asked us to unlock the guns. They then said they had to wait for a supervisor. Plane was about to leave so they said one of us can stay and one can go. They hold the plane for a few minutes, a supervisor came and ok’d it all and we got back on the plane. Almost missed our flight to Fairbanks.

I understand your point about the tag on the outside of the locked case that goes into your locked (larger case), but I prefer the old way of putting the signed tag into the locked case.

I consider this my guarantee that you declared your firearm correctly, that goes in a locked case that no one has the combination/key but you.

When things go awry, people will do anything to save their ass when a mistake is made and if the tag disappears it is your word against theirs that you declared. This is why I will never use a TSA approved lock.

I know an acquaintance who got arrested at Logan while checking a firearm. He was unfamiliar (American citizen, but has a Russian accent) with the check in procedure and picked up the firearm and showed that it was unloaded to the ticket agent.
They gave him his ticket and bag checked, but agent reported it. Security grabbed him and coached the agent about being "concerned" so they could cover their ass.

So, expensive attorney, fine and gun confiscated...and no vacation to Florida.

The moral of my story is I want as little wiggle room for authorities as possible to blame me if a mistake is made. Will it happen, probably not, but I carry a firearm for something that will probably never happen either.

Some airlines may have reevaluated their procedures after an incident in Miami about 6 years ago. Military vet opened fire in bag check area with weapon that came out of a checked bag.

Miami incident
What exactly was the charge when the acquaintance got arrested? I've usually had to show the ticket agent the gun was clear, although I keep it inside the case.

Whelp…the dickbag gate agent and his supervisor told me categorically that I couldn’t fly with ammunition in the same locked case as a firearm.

I guess I’ll be buying some 9mm when I get to my destination. Aholes completely ignoring TSA. I literally showed and read the regs. Anyway, on to RSW
Jetblue does not require ammo in a locked box, just in original factory packaging so rounds don't fly around loose in your suitcase. You can put the ammo in your suitcase without a separate case.

Ammo in a separate hard case is not a TSA rule.

Two responses:

One: the Jet Blue guy misinterpreted his own regs I think. Assuming you are transporting a handgun, and that it is in a pistol box inside your luggage. the "separate container" refers to the pistol box, not the suitcase.

Two: I have flown with at least one pistol via Jet Blue at least 20-30 times in the last 8-10 years, all between Logan and some other destination. Never had a single problem. Always had ammo, usually in MTM boxes, in the suitcase, while pistol was in a steel pistol box inside the same suitcase. Both pistol box and suitcase locked with non-TSA locks, and suitcase has a tag on it with my cell phone number.

In fact, the last three or four trips I've had the same guy handle the pistol issue at the "Special Services" desk. My only issue is that he likes to talk guns, and my wife starts giving me a glare if I start talking guns with him.

For what it may be worth.

I honestly think they're starting to skinflint hard, they were yapping about buying Spirit or something and got blocked by the government I have to question the judgment of an airline that thinks that buying the shittiest airline in America is a value add for its customers...... wtaf.
What gives you reason to believe they thought it would be a value add for customers. Customer value only count when it is a byproduct of profit maximization.

I do the same thing, but the cable runs through the mag well, out through the ejection port, and through the side of the small hard case and the locked to the containing large case. I also have used the cable trick to secure the gun to the inside of the car trunk. There have been a few cases (one in LV) where the thieves knew there was a dinner/award ceremony after a big shooting competition and went through the cars stealing guns.

Back
Top Bottom