• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

JetBlue jetblows flying with firearm from BOS

So it will connect to any iPhone and access the server?

Pretty much, the airtags use most iphones and proxies to transmit their location info, so unless the phone is data-dead or something, it will retrainsmit the airtag info.

If anyone with an iPhone is near the bag it phones home to their servers. So it will work pretty well unless your luggage goes to timbuktu or something odd like that.
Everyone should use AirTags, has saved me so many times and they give great peace of mind. I have one on my keys, one in my checked bag, one in my backpack, one in my car, and a 3rd party one called Pebblebee in my wallet that uses the same tech/network.

As far as flying with guns and ammo out of Logan, Delta is the best. Never a peep from them about ammo in the same container as the gun.

So it will connect to any iPhone and access the server?
It is basically a mesh network which uses every iPhone that exists and is connected to a cell or wifi. They are $30 each, they are the size of a JFK 50 cent coin. They use the same circle batteries as car remote fobs. They use a technology called ultra-wideband so their location is accurate to within a couple meters. And when in range, you can force them to emit an alarm sound from your phone.

Don't get me started about JetBlue and baggage the last experience I had with their baggage on a direct flight was absolutely appalling basically they had a whole Chip Shot deal from one leg to get two bags from point A to point B and they managed to fail doing that I was actually beside pmyself I'm like I thought this problem died in the 80s. Basically the plane was overloaded and they took bags off and never put them back on the plane and never informed any of us. You would think nowadays with all the tech they would have at least send you a text message saying "hey your s***'s not on the plane" etc. I'm very tempted to dump them for Delta, even if it means connecting through SLC. On top of that I got the same plane both ways in the Wi-Fi was f****** broken on the same aircraft a week apart. Was kind of hilarious one of the flight attendants said oh no it started to work I'm like dude I was on this exact same airframe when I came here on a different flight number and it was broken then too..... 🤣 I honestly think they're starting to skinflint hard, they were yapping about buying Spirit or something and got blocked by the government I have to question the judgment of an airline that thinks that buying the shittiest airline in America is a value add for its customers...... wtaf.
Delta gives me a notification through their app whenever my checked bag moves.

Back in the 90s you could carry on folding knives as long as they were less than 2.5 or 3 inches (can't remember which). I had to give up my Leatherman on a return flight because it was over the limit and I forget to check it. Not a happy day.
I remember having my pocket knife blade length measured against the length of security's ID card.

At the risk of jinxing it, I haven't had any issues flying with guns in checked bags up and down the coast on my skinflint Breeze and SW flights. Gun is usually in a CMP hard case with 2 padlocks and a safety flag in the chamber so it's obviously unloaded on the x-ray. Mags / ammo under the bottom foam. Airtag taped behind the top foam. Flown at least a dozen times in the past year and have never been asked to open the gun case itself, only have to attach the airline tag to the outside. Actually, I don't think I have EVER been asked to open the gun case. About half the time they just throw the bag on their conveyor, the other half I walk it over to the TSA machine.

Once I get to the gate and board, I can check the airtag to make sure it's on the plane with me. Airtags are also helpful to know when your bag is getting to the claim carousel.

Apple Air Tags....Plant them in your luggage and you can really screw with them when they lose the bag.......
I've started doing this with my toolboxes and luggage when I fly. Never had a bag delayed since. I'd say it's a great investment.

I have no recollection of those events, but if you’d seen the look of abject terror on the soy boy beta gate agent as I unloaded the 3 mags and verified in front of him there wasn’t one in the pipe….priceless.

He said he would have someone come down and ‘confiscate’ the ammo. Declined the f*ck outta that offer. I think not. It’s secured in the safe in my vehicle in the remote lot.

Ok, that’s what I was hoping you’d say. I travel often with firearms and it can get idiotic with the agents here. I had one delta agent say to another “I’m not sure what to do, he has a gun”

Poor choice of words & thankfully I was able to clarify easily before they pushed the red button

Ok, that’s what I was hoping you’d say. I travel often with firearms and it can get idiotic with the agents here. I had one delta agent say to another “I’m not sure what to do, he has a gun”

Poor choice of words & thankfully I was able to clarify easily before they pushed the red button
I would be tempted to say "well if you don't know what to do please get your supervisor they probably know how to handle this, it's a pretty routine thing. "

Not very surprisingly, this has only been an issue at Logan. Even at TF Green I've had no problem.

I have noticed that the cards at both SWA and American are locked the drawers under the counter. The ticket agents have to call for someone with a key. I don't think that's restricted to the cards, they're probably just tossed in with a bunch of other stuff that is kept under lock and key. Other places, they just reach under the counter and pull out the card. It used to be that I had to fill out the entire card, but lately they fill them out and I just sign and date it.

They've also started taping the cards to the outside of the gun case so that they don't drift away into the suitcase.
I think JetBlue does it as well but it's less granular.

In this idiot's case, he had me put the tag...in the **locked** case. I felt I was at the end of my luck without getting black bagged and a TSA cavity search, so I rolled with it.

Box of freedom seeds at the local FFL at 9:30 this morning and I am a re-armed American.

You are far more likely to have an encounter with TSA if they open your suitcase and see a locked box with no tag. If they can't get in touch with you (put your cell number on the tag) they will remove the case and do whatever is necessary to open it. If the tag is in there, you won't be able to fly with the gun since it's not locked. If the tag IS NOT in there, you will not be able to fly at all that day. You will also be fined and in the case of MA the gun will be turned over to the MSP. Where it goes from there is up to them, but losing the gun and your LTC, at least temporarily is a possibility.

You would be wise to read up on all of the requirements and understand them if you are going to fly with a gun in your checked bag.

When I'm checking in at the airline I had them my drivers license and immediately say that I need a firearms declaration card. You don't need to, nor should you, hand them your LTC.

If they deviate from either the TSA or the airlines policies point it out politely and if they continue hand them your copy of the print out.

The airlines have been more of a problem any time that there was a problem than the TSA. They don't give a shit about firearms as long as they are properly declared. In fact, I've had some pleasant conversations with TSA officers the few times I was called because they needed to open the locked box because something alerted when it went through screening.

In this idiot's case, he had me put the tag...in the **locked** case. I felt I was at the end of my luck without getting black bagged and a TSA cavity search, so I rolled with it.

Box of freedom seeds at the local FFL at 9:30 this morning and I am a re-armed American.

Delta gives me a notification through their app whenever my checked bag moves.

I think JetBlue does it as well but it's less granular.

I don't mean to be simping for any airline (below video related) but I know someone who works for Delta at Logan and from what I've learned, Delta has significantly better technology that enables them to be a cut above the rest. They have an more intricate terminal system which I understand to work similarly to SQL/shell commands (so a knowledgeable and sufficiently credentialed employee can do almost anything involving ticketing etc) and from the outside looking in, I'd imagine the database probably exposed via some nice APIs to enable the app and notifications.

Trouble is that due to the "labor shortage" these companies have, shall we say, lowered their hiring standards out of desperation and thus experiences in dealing with an agent may be extremely hit or miss.

Don't get me started about JetBlue and baggage the last experience I had with their baggage on a direct flight was absolutely appalling basically they had a whole Chip Shot deal from one leg to get two bags from point A to point B and they managed to fail doing that I was actually beside pmyself I'm like I thought this problem died in the 80s. Basically the plane was overloaded and they took bags off and never put them back on the plane and never informed any of us. You would think nowadays with all the tech they would have at least send you a text message saying "hey your s***'s not on the plane" etc. I'm very tempted to dump them for Delta, even if it means connecting through SLC. On top of that I got the same plane both ways in the Wi-Fi was f****** broken on the same aircraft a week apart. Was kind of hilarious one of the flight attendants said oh no it started to work I'm like dude I was on this exact same airframe when I came here on a different flight number and it was broken then too..... 🤣 I honestly think they're starting to skinflint hard, they were yapping about buying Spirit or something and got blocked by the government I have to question the judgment of an airline that thinks that buying the shittiest airline in America is a value add for its customers...... wtaf.
Sounds a little like buying a Hi-Point and expecting it to not be hot garbage. [devil]

Sounds a little like buying a Hi-Point and expecting it to not be hot garbage. [devil]
The problem is in the United States you go to the airport and a US airport was a gun shop 9 out of 10 guns on the wall are made by Taurus or High Point. Not exactly a lot of great choices. So you either leave without buying a gun or you get a gun but you're trying to pick the best of a bad lot.

The problem is in the United States you go to the airport and a US airport was a gun shop 9 out of 10 guns on the wall are made by Taurus or High Point. Not exactly a lot of great choices. So you either leave without buying a gun or you get a gun but you're trying to pick the best of a bad lot.
True, More than once I have stated that carriers in the US are the rotten bottom of the global barrel. I have had better reliability, way lower cost, and way better service from local carriers in India, Brazil, and even Russia. China has better service and lower cost, but their poor reliability is due to the imbecile government air traffic control not the airlines. Way friendlier and better looking flight attendants for all of these, which would compensate a bit but no compensation was necessary.

Picking an airline in the US = trying to figure out which end of the turd is more dry.

I would be tempted to say "well if you don't know what to do please get your supervisor they probably know how to handle this, it's a pretty routine thing. "
Luckily didn’t get to that point, not usually a hassle, guy didn’t seem to happy about having to work in the first place lol

Jetlube and their time changes ...

From 5:40 to 6:15
From 6:15 to 6:40
From 6:40 back to 6:15
From 6:15 to 6:38

Part is my fault, never fly to or out of Florida in the afternoon, the storms make a mess.

All the messages say to arrive for a 5:40 departure.

Whelp…the dickbag gate agent and his supervisor told me categorically that I couldn’t fly with ammunition in the same locked case as a firearm.

I guess I’ll be buying some 9mm when I get to my destination. Aholes completely ignoring TSA. I literally showed and read the regs. Anyway, on to RSW
It’s not TSA regulations he’s citing, it’s JetBlue’s policy. You need to be aware of each carrier’s policy before you purchase airfare or before you pack your luggage. They do differ.

Ok, slightly different question... Assuming your handgun and ammo are appropriately encased does your checked bag need to be a hard (suit)case or can you just lock up a typical soft roller (with, I assume, a TSA lock) ?

I'm also thinking that I could use a cable lock to further 'attach' the handgun and ammo cases to the frame of the soft sider checked bag ?

Ok, slightly different question... Assuming your handgun and ammo are appropriately encased does your checked bag need to be a hard (suit)case or can you just lock up a typical soft roller (with, I assume, a TSA lock) ?

I'm also thinking that I could use a cable lock to further 'attach' the handgun and ammo cases to the frame of the soft sider checked bag ?
I think every airline has their own policy on this. When I flew last summer (southwest), the let me put my checked handgun hard case inside my main suitcase. Which I thought was awesome so no employees could see the hard case or firearm tag during all the luggage handling.

I think every airline has their own policy on this. When I flew last summer (southwest), the let me put my checked handgun hard case inside my main suitcase. Which I thought was awesome so no employees could see the hard case or firearm tag during all the luggage handling.
It seems pretty clear that you put the small(er) individually locked cases into your checked bag. I was asking whether the checked bag needed to (should ?) be a hard suitcase ? Or whether it was ok to use a more typical soft sided roller (and then lock the zipper with a TSA lock).

Thanks.

Ive flown most of the airlines with a handgun, mags and ammo. They essentially are all more restrictive than TSA regulations on what they allow/require. They can't be less restrictive...

What seems to work with ALL airlines is

Gun, open, in lockbox which is cable locked to the frame inside my suitcase.
Magazines with ammo plus a free floating round (+1 in the chamber...) in my nylon electric razor bag.

The look at the gun. There is no ammo and the gun is clearly unlocked. They are happy. Only TSA might notice the ammo in the mags on xray but they don't care. TSA requirements are not violated. There is no way for the airline to figure out the mags/ammo might be in violation of their additional rules.

The only sticky point I have run into is WHERE the declaration tag goes. I want it outside the locked container but inside the suitcase. That way TSA can see I have it and its signed. But some gate agents INSIST on putting it inside the lock container. I don't bother fighting this as they are too stupid. I have been called to TSA to open the lock box so they can see the declaration on occasion. What can you do?

If they try and tape or attach the declaration OUTSIDE the suitcase, I will fight that. Nothing allowed on the suitcase making it clear there is something of value inside.

And yes, now that airtags exist, I have them in all my checked luggage whether there is a gun or not.

Did they send your bag to a special office or out with everything else?

I was impressed by Delta. I think from now on, when flying with guns, I will fly Delta. It was so easy, and so nice to know the guns go to an office.

I never thought I would be impressed by Delta.

Several years ago I stopped flying with them because they s*cked. I started flying more Jet Blue and United - I hated United, but less than Delta.

Now, Jet Blue s*cks and United is really pushing the envelope to get worst every year, like they try to over achieve on sh*t service.

But Delta seems to have gone the opposite direction and is much better.

Whelp…the dickbag gate agent and his supervisor told me categorically that I couldn’t fly with ammunition in the same locked case as a firearm.

I guess I’ll be buying some 9mm when I get to my destination. Aholes completely ignoring TSA. I literally showed and read the regs. Anyway, on to RSW
It's the freaking inconsistency that's maddening.

In subsequent flights on Jet Blue, the same Glock has gone to RSW, LAS and Asheville and ammo has flown in the same case

Ive flown most of the airlines with a handgun, mags and ammo. They essentially are all more restrictive than TSA regulations on what they allow/require. They can't be less restrictive...

What seems to work with ALL airlines is

Gun, open, in lockbox which is cable locked to the frame inside my suitcase.
Magazines with ammo plus a free floating round (+1 in the chamber...) in my nylon electric razor bag.

The look at the gun. There is no ammo and the gun is clearly unlocked. They are happy. Only TSA might notice the ammo in the mags on xray but they don't care. TSA requirements are not violated. There is no way for the airline to figure out the mags/ammo might be in violation of their additional rules.

The only sticky point I have run into is WHERE the declaration tag goes. I want it outside the locked container but inside the suitcase. That way TSA can see I have it and its signed. But some gate agents INSIST on putting it inside the lock container. I don't bother fighting this as they are too stupid. I have been called to TSA to open the lock box so they can see the declaration on occasion. What can you do?

If they try and tape or attach the declaration OUTSIDE the suitcase, I will fight that. Nothing allowed on the suitcase making it clear there is something of value inside.

And yes, now that airtags exist, I have them in all my checked luggage whether there is a gun or not.

If TSA wants to see the the declaration, they call you.

The last two times I had to wait at the gate for TSA to see if they wanted to look at it. One time, the agent said "called TSA, they said to go through" and I walked away. The second time I had to wait for TSA to inspect my bag.

In both cases I first opened the case infront of the airline person, and they had me sign the declaration and put it in the case with the gun.

Then, TSA was called.

Back
Top Bottom