Is the .40 S&W going to be an orphan?

You guys just don't get it. It doesn't matter what caliber you're shooting(though .40 is for douchenozzle Federal agents), it's all about the paint job on your blaster. #battleworn #battlewornbro

But you aren't arguing.

You picked out one word, "argue" that I used to explain that the discussion was focused on 9mm, .40, and .45, as common handgun rounds that had nothing to do with .32 magnum or .44 magnum. The rest is all facts. As I already stated, you are so shhmart!

giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not sure why you posted this or what your expectations were to get out of it. As soon as the narrator stated that he prefers the 9mm over the .40 because he doesn't like high pressure rounds like the .40, I shut him down. The SAMMI specs for both rounds is 35,000 psi. The 9mm +P spec is 38,500, so anyone using this round is using a higher pressure round than the .40. You need to try harder to prove whatever point it is that you are trying to prove.

They don't want them because their racks are filled with them...

Which is a sure indicator that it's popularity is waning. If a bunch of folks are trading in 40s in order to get off of the caliber and nobody is buying them, what does that tell you?

I prefer 9mm cuz it's significantly cheaper, that's really the best reason. Same reason I hate the .380, it's expensive for what it is.

Which is a sure indicator that it's popularity is waning. If a bunch of folks are trading in 40s in order to get off of the caliber and nobody is buying them, what does that tell you?

Before I put the nail in the 40 coffin, I'd want to see manufacturers stop offering 40 as an option. Right now, seems like most 9s are also offered in 40. If S&W decides to come out with an M&P 2.0 in only 9mm, I'll be willing to admit that 40 S&W is dead and buried :)

I'm not sure why you posted this or what your expectations were to get out of it. As soon as the narrator stated that he prefers the 9mm over the .40 because he doesn't like high pressure rounds like the .40, I shut him down. The SAMMI specs for both rounds is 35,000 psi. The 9mm +P spec is 38,500, so anyone using this round is using a higher pressure round than the .40. You need to try harder to prove whatever point it is that you are trying to prove.
The "narrator" is none other than James Yeager - world renowned firearms expert and one of the select few elite operators to earn the Seal Team Six Glock Tactics merit badge. Show some respect!

You know, at first I was going to assume that you were trolling and let it go but you really ARE represented by these posts aren't you?

Lol, he posted it to troll people like you, and you fell for it, hook, line and sinker. [rofl]

It's not so much that as it is .40 is the most popular LE caliber, or at least it probably still has a big chunk of the market. And every time PDs get money for guns the old guns get dumped onto the secondary market. So there are a ton of .40 S+W handguns in the market because of the thousands of LE trade ins on the market. There's also a fair number of people who buy a .40, then dump it (cause they either can't hang onto it, or don't know how to shoot and blame the recoil/snap/whatever) resulting in a lot of used guns. Doesn't mean it's unpopular but does explain the abundance of used hardware.

-Mike

Last edited:
It's not so much that as it is .40 is the most popular LE caliber, or at least it probably still has a big chunk of the market. And every time PDs get money for guns the old guns get dumped onto the secondary market. So there are a ton of .40 S+W handguns in the market because of the thousands of LE trade ins on the market. There's also a fair number of people who buy a .40, then dump it, resulting in a lot of used guns. Doesn't mean it's unpopular but does explain the abundance of used hardware.

-Mike

Because they can't handle Short & Wimpy ;)

I wish I could find it again. I was reading an article a couple months ago that talked about the decline of the 40. Below is a paraphrase from what I can remember of the article. lol don't quote me.

The way the author saw it. 40 came into the world but was too powerful in it's in it's original "10mm short" form so people were intimidated by it. Due to this manu's started downloading their 40's to get closer to 9 and gain back the market they were losing to the 9. At the same time 9 developed better loads +p's, +p+'s and bullet development to reach up to the "stopping power" market the 40 was supposed to be filling. So they met in the middle between original 9 and original 40. But since the 9 now does that higher middle ground role so well. The hope is that the 40 can now reverse course and go back to it's original more powerful role coupling with the better bullets of today and fill that just short of 10mm nitch again.

I personally like this idea. Whether it's true or viable. I dont know, I suppose we'll see.

I wish I could find it again. I was reading an article a couple months ago that talked about the decline of the 40. Below is a paraphrase from what I can remember of the article. lol don't quote me.

The way the author saw it. 40 came into the world but was too powerful in it's in it's original "10mm short" form so people were intimidated by it. Due to this manu's started downloading their 40's to get closer to 9 and gain back the market they were losing to the 9. At the same time 9 developed better loads +p's, +p+'s and bullet development to reach up to the "stopping power" market the 40 was supposed to be filling. So they met in the middle between original 9 and original 40. But since the 9 now does that higher middle ground role so well. The hope is that the 40 can now reverse course and go back to it's original more powerful role coupling with the better bullets of today and fill that just short of 10mm nitch again.

I personally like this idea. Whether it's true or viable. I dont know, I suppose we'll see.

Sounds like a bunch of drivel placed in the article. There wasn't much "light light" .40s. .40 has always been .40, obviously there are variances in loading that change by ammunition vendor, but that isn't a surprise. You could always get 180gr carry ammo that was more like a "push" and hotter 165 or 155 gr ammo that snapped more but had better numbers.

The "Original More Powerful Role" of .40 is called 10mm Auto. [laugh]

If you have a .40 now and you want the hottest without blowing up the gun, buy some Underwood 155 or 165 gr ammo and call it a day. [smile]

-Mike

It's not so much that as it is .40 is the most popular LE caliber, or at least it probably still has a big chunk of the market. And every time PDs get money for guns the old guns get dumped onto the secondary market. So there are a ton of .40 S+W handguns in the market because of the thousands of LE trade ins on the market. There's also a fair number of people who buy a .40, then dump it (cause they either can't hang onto it, or don't know how to shoot and blame the recoil/snap/whatever) resulting in a lot of used guns. Doesn't mean it's unpopular but does explain the abundance of used hardware.

That may help explain why there are so many 40s out there but it does not explain why the dealers can't seem to be able to even give them away.

"Retailers tell me that they’re no longer taking-in 40S&W Caliber pistols, even in trade. They can’t sell them! Nor can they sell pistols in 357SIG and 45GAP caliber. Demand for those calibers is currently zero!"

This thread was not originally intended to be a debate of 9 vs 40 vs 45 caliber, it was about the way that the 40 is trending, which appears to be straight down.

The popularity of 9mm is directly correlated to the increase in pajama wearing beta males. 9mm is a vote for Obama

40sw was designed to continue the awesomeness of Ronald Reagan

Last edited:
That may help explain why there are so many 40s out there but it does not explain why the dealers can't seem to be able to even give them away.

Even 10 years ago they had difficulty moving them, its just that now its worse, and not moving any, or barely any, becomes more apparent. Even 10 years ago odds favored finding a .40 S&W pistol in any gunshop in MA vs a 9mm in the same model class by probably at least 3 to 1.

The "if eyem only gonna be stuck with 10 rounds den im gonna git a fotay instead of a nein" stuff is also gone, MA bullshit aside.

Some PDs are also dumping .40s and going to 9's and .45s. The same shitbird gun shop commandos that goaded their friends into buying .40s are now transiting to "whatever the kopsch are using" etc in a vain attempt to try to be cool or something.

.40 is definitely downward trending but it's not going to be extinct anytime soon. The "installed base" of the guns is large and isn't going away. Something like .45 GAP on the other hand... we're already at the point where someone will give you a risitas laugh if you walk into a gun shop and ask them if they have .45 GAP.

-Mike

Last edited:
Depends on the 40. It came out in 1990, so it had 4 years for guns and mags to be made for it.
Yes. I had a ton of them for my P229 and I still have a bunch of G22 prebans, too.

-Mike
Actually Glock 22 preban mags are probably more plentiful due to the supply-demand issues discussed earlier.
Yes, you just need a mag that was designed for a different round. Serial answer. Khe khe sten.
Sorry, the only person whose opinion I trust when it comes to identifying pre-ban Glock mags is Glockster30.

Back
Top Bottom