• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is the .40 S&W going to be an orphan?

Looks like it's headed that way.

I never really cared for the cartridge and have never owned anything chambered in it. I just could never see what it could do that I couldn't already do with one of my 9mms or 45ACPs.

It appears that dealers do not want to even take then in trade anymore.

"Retailers tell me that they’re no longer taking-in 40S&W Caliber pistols, even in trade. They can’t sell them! Nor can they sell pistols in 357SIG and 45GAP caliber. Demand for those calibers is currently zero!"

http://www.ammoland.com/2016/01/gun...0_6f6fac3eaa-58601661a0-7141685#axzz3wPGTY7sy

Of the other two calibers mentioned (.357SIG & 45GAP) I think that the sig is an interesting caliber, but I'm not intrigued enough by it to actually own one and I have said that the GAP was doomed to fail since day one.

357SIG and 45GAP are very hard to find in practice ammo, bulk, and walmart.
40 S&W are still issued to many PD's and readily available so...

Fotay is required for USPSA limited division major power factor. We use almost exclusively reloaded ammo, but need a steady supply of once fired brass. For that reason, I hope many agencies stay with 40 issued firearms

If you can afford to own more than one handgun, why not own a .40?

There's nothing wrong with 40 (recoil is a bit snappy), there's nothing great about 40.

It really is the answer to a question only the government asked.

"If you can't kill it with a 9 or a 45, you need a rifle."

Last edited:
If you can afford to own more than one handgun, why not own a .40?

I own 9 handguns, none of which is a .40

Edit: now that I think of it, it is actually 10. I forgot about the POS 380 bodyguard that I bought on a whim.

Last edited:
I have a feeling once the FBI makes the change over so will a lot of Police Departments. I also don't see the 40 S & W not disappearing either, to many guns in the market chambered for it. I have owned a couple of gun chambered in 40 but I like 9 and 45 better.

Edit: now that I think of it, it is actually 10. I forgot about the POS 380 bodyguard that I bought on a whim.

ARSENAL! ARSENAL! [smile]

ARSENAL! ARSENAL! [smile]

Huh. I was going to post a pix of an "Arsenal" and entered that word in Google to search for an image and it went right to a soccer team. I guess GOOGLE is going Anti-gun.

https://www.google.com/#q=arsenal+

I like my 40s, I have three a Shield, M&P, and a SR40, are they my favorite guns or calibers no. would I want to do away with them for another caliber no. I find that there is to much of a gap between the 9mm and the 45cal.
I just like them no rhyme or reason. I reload so I am not really worried about ammo availability.

Dean

I own a few .40's I love them. But I also own a few 9's and love them, a few 45's and love them, a few 380's,a few 357sigs, a few 22's, a few 357's a few 44's I don't discriminate.

Everybody talks about the recoil and difficulty of follow up shots with it. The last class I took with my 40 the instructor thought I was running a 9 because it ran so well in the drills. It's all about how you use the tool. I know I shoot the 40 very well and I know I wouldn't want to get hit by one. That said I rotate between 40 and 9 for carry.

I think it's here to stay.

I own a few .40's I love them. But I also own a few 9's and love them, a few 45's and love them, a few 380's,a few 357sigs, a few 22's, a few 357's a few 44's I don't discriminate.

Everybody talks about the recoil and difficulty of follow up shots with it. The last class I took with my 40 the instructor thought I was running a 9 because it ran so well in the drills.
It's all about how you use the tool. I know I shoot the 40 very well and I know I wouldn't want to get hit by one. That said I rotate between 40 and 9 for carry.

^^^ This guy understands shooting.

This is an older video running a G23 with 165gr +p duty rounds (and I've made some changes to grip since then that make it shoot even flatter) 40 isn't a hand grenade. It shoots as flat as my 9 and my 45. Brian Enos makes a brilliant point in his book... It doesn't matter how high your sights go, or if it does a figure 8, as long as they return to the same place.

Anyways, back to crapping on .40 [rofl]
Edit: Just for maximum jimmy rustling, I think I was shooting with XS Big Dots here.

Last edited by a moderator:
The recoil issue with the .40 is weird. I've shot my friend's Glock 22 and it snapped up like crazy, and then I've shot the much smaller S&W Shield in .40 and it shot with less felt recoil at least to me. Both times with personal defense rounds too.

I love the "fo-tay". 170 gr Lyman cast lead TC with a charge of w-231 is awesome. With cheap brass I'll be shooting it the rest of my life or until my Glock 23 blows up or both.

I wish I knew why the .40 is so maligned. It's probably one of the easiest to find brass for and fun to shoot. I suppose being a reloader helps the cause.

Lotsa hate for the forte' around here for no good reason IMO.

agree.

It sometimes seems as if there is a irrational desire to see the .40 disappear. Why? If you don't like it, don't shoot it. Plenty of other calibers to choose from. Same with .357 sig. It will never be as popular as 9/45. So what. it is still a cool caliber I would like to own one some day.

Everybody talks about the recoil and difficulty of follow up shots with it. The last class I took with my 40 the instructor thought I was running a 9 because it ran so well in the drills. It's all about how you use the tool. I know I shoot the 40 very well and I know I wouldn't want to get hit by one. That said I rotate between 40 and 9 for carry.

I think it's here to stay.

Agreed. I actually enjoy the .40 recoil and go between .40 and .45 mostly.

Back
Top Bottom