• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is the .40 S&W going to be an orphan?

^^^ This guy understands shooting.

This is an older video running a G23 with 165gr +p duty rounds (and I've made some changes to grip since then that make it shoot even flatter) 40 isn't a hand grenade. It shoots as flat as my 9 and my 45. Brian Enos makes a brilliant point in his book... It doesn't matter how high your sights go, or if it does a figure 8, as long as they return to the same place.

Anyways, back to crapping on .40 [rofl]
Edit: Just for maximum jimmy rustling, I think I was shooting with XS Big Dots here.

Thats good shooting, what was that, 5 feet? [smile]

Last edited by a moderator:
Never shot the .40

What am I missing?

You forgot to jump on the "I hate the .40" bandwagon because other people said they hate the .40. Why not you too. Some people will tell you the .40 is underpowered then they'll show you their less powerful 9mm and tell you how great it is.

I own a couple .40's and I shoot them just as much as my .45's, 9mm's and even .22's

They don't want them because their racks are filled with them. It's not going away anytime soon, though.

-Mike

The recoil issue with the .40 is weird. I've shot my friend's Glock 22 and it snapped up like crazy, and then I've shot the much smaller S&W Shield in .40 and it shot with less felt recoil at least to me. Both times with personal defense rounds too.

Yeah if you can't grip the gun well guns with bad ergos with .40 will suck compared to ones you can hang onto. Hand size is a big factor, imho. Some guns dump recoil from .40 different from others, so that plays into it too.

-Mike

Yeah if you can't grip the gun well guns with bad ergos with .40 will suck compared to ones you can hang onto. Hand size is a big factor, imho. Some guns dump recoil from .40 different from others, so that plays into it too.

-Mike
I agree with this completely. My son can shoot very well. He handles a snub 357 mag revolver perfectly.....double action trigger pull and all. Very accurate and very fast. Hand him my m and p 45 and he hits all over the place......says the 357 "snaps" hard and he doesn't mind it but the 45 "shoves" hard and it just bothers him because he can't find the front sight fast after each shot. Everybody handles the ergos and recoil differently. That said......I don't like the .40........but if it blows your skirt up.....who am I to judge?

I like my sig 229 .40. I wasnt old enough to own a gun or knew it was a neutered 10mm when the .40 originally came out so I feel that makes a difference compared to maybe older shooters. I now like .45 better.

The Beretta 96 ain't bad to shoot. The 40 took off a bit when mag limits started in the 90s...a little hotter round than a 9 and a little less power than a 45 but still 10+1 in the gun. Its mostly a brady bill compromise. I'd really like a full sized 10mm in a non plastic package. How many pre orders would S&W need for a custom run of 10's?

As far as I can tell a .40 is like a 9mm except ammo costs twice as much.

Not quite true, but I'll give you a B+ for trying. [laugh]

[h=1]Gold Dot Personal Protection - 9mm Luger[/h]
Part NumberCartridge
Bullet Wt.Bullet TypeBox CountBullet Coefficient
236189mm Luger124GDHP200.134

Velocity(in feet per second)Energy (in foot pounds)
Muzzle50 yards100 yardsMuzzle50 yards100 yards

[h=1]Gold Dot Personal Protection - 40 S&W[/h]
Part NumberCartridge
Bullet Wt.Bullet TypeBox CountBullet Coefficient
2397040 S&W165GDHP200.138

Velocity(in feet per second)Energy (in foot pounds)
Muzzle50 yards100 yardsMuzzle50 yards100 yards

You forgot to jump on the "I hate the .40" bandwagon because other people said they hate the .40. Why not you too. Some people will tell you the .40 is underpowered then they'll show you their less powerful 9mm and tell you how great it is.

I own a couple .40's and I shoot them just as much as my .45's, 9mm's and even .22's

Cant hate when I never shot one!

You're right it doesn't matter, but wrong that .40 costs twice as much as 9.
What you posted earlier wasn't about price so it sure seemed like you were focusing on performance. Anyways, isn't commercial .40 around $20/box? I buy 9mm for $11 so right about a factor of two.

What you posted earlier wasn't about price so it sure seemed like you were focusing on performance. Anyways, isn't commercial .40 around $20/box? I buy 9mm for $11 so right about a factor of two.

At this point, what does it matter, as Hillary would say? Don't know where you buy your .40, but I pay much less than $20.

Last edited:
At this point, what does it matter, as Hillary would say? Don't know where you buy your .40, but I pay much less than than $20.
I don't buy .40 at all, which is why I asked how much it costs. Even at $16/box it's still ~50% more than 9mm, no?

Just looking at Cabela's website real quick:
Remington and Federal: 9mm is $15 and .40 is $21

I don't buy .40 at all, which is why I asked how much it costs. Even at $16/box it's still ~50% more than 9mm, no?

Don't bother getting into an argument with a fortay: They will never admit they are wrong. Next he will tell you about the exchange rate where he buys his ammo in Tijuana so his is more cheaper and then deflect questions of terminal ballistics or that felt recoil is subjective so since he is a big tough man he can handle the recoil more than your puny Russian hands.

Did I miss anything?

I get all my ammo from the Ammo tree in my backyard. Only costs me a little extra in my water bill.

Don't bother getting into an argument with a fortay: They will never admit they are wrong. Next he will tell you about the exchange rate where he buys his ammo in Tijuana so his is more cheaper and then deflect questions of terminal ballistics or that felt recoil is subjective so since he is a big tough man he can handle the recoil more than your puny Russian hands.

Did I miss anything?

Nope, you didn't miss anything. You are so shhhmart!

Okay, 50% is better and much lower than twice as much, as once stated.

Did I miss anything?
I don't really care what anyone else likes to shoot. Just don't BS the thread with stopping power crap and arguing against prices that can easily be looked up.

P.S. I think I have larger-than-average hands - sometimes I wish for a larger Glock grip. Is that weird?

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, 50% is better and much lower than twice as much, as once stated.
[laugh] Okay, fine - 50%. My bad. What exactly does the extra 50% get you?

LE pundits are figuring out that with modern high performance ammo, there isn't really a difference in stopping power between 9x19 and fotay, and it is once again becoming "cool" to carry a nine.

Back
Top Bottom