Is the .40 S&W going to be an orphan?

Anyone with preban Glock 22 magazines feel free to send them my way. They fit my Glock 27 with a drop in barrel for .357 Sig.

40 haters gotta hate

This thread was not originally intended to be a debate of 9 vs 40 vs 45 caliber, it was about the way that the 40 is trending, which appears to be straight down.

OMG! … Please keep us posted and be sure to start a new thread when you are sure the forty is completely dead. We are all waiting with bated breath to know when that is.

About the only centerfire caliber that I can think of that is probably on its death bed is .45 GAP. Even 10mm Auto and .357 Sig are wayyyyy easier to get than that shit is... .45 GAP is bordering on extinct.

Food for thought: You can find .50 BMG at walmart but not .45 GAP. That should kinda tell you something. [rofl]

-Mike

About the only centerfire caliber that I can think of that is probably on its death bed is .45 GAP. Even 10mm Auto and .357 Sig are wayyyyy easier to get than that shit is... .45 GAP is bordering on extinct.

Food for thought: You can find .50 BMG at walmart but not .45 GAP. That should kinda tell you something. [rofl]

-Mike

What about 41 AE? Is it dead? Maybe 41 Magnum will stage a comeback?

Four Seasons had about three shelves of .40 defensive loads and barely one shelf of any other caliber. Which probably shows it is bought less, but also is very available.

I never thought about it much. I carry a Glock 27 because I really like it. I figure it will probably get the job done if it was ever needed. I suppose I could carry a G26, but I have a 27. Recently I have bought a few thousand rounds of various .40 from different sellers in the NES classified section at incredibly reasonable prices. I own a fair number of handguns in a variety of calibers and they all seem to go bang when I pull the trigger. I reckon the .40 Glock 27 is about as good as any. This ain't rocket science.

I would go with 9mm. Because at 300 yards it only drops 116 inches and the .40 drops 120 inches. I don't want to hold that high.

I never thought about it much. I carry a Glock 27 because I really like it. I figure it will probably get the job done if it was ever needed. I suppose I could carry a G26, but I have a 27. Recently I have bought a few thousand rounds of various .40 from different sellers in the NES classified section at incredibly reasonable prices. I own a fair number of handguns in a variety of calibers and they all seem to go bang when I pull the trigger. I reckon the .40 Glock 27 is about as good as any. This ain't rocket science.

Some of the best deals on .40 are in the classifieds, absolutely.

I would go with 9mm. Because at 300 yards it only drops 116 inches and the .40 drops 120 inches. I don't want to hold that high.

[lol] this reminds me of that Jerry Miculek 300 yard shot with a BG 380. Total cool, but the DA might have your ass on a platter of the threat is 300 yards away. [lol]

I was tidying up the ammo the other day and found a bunch of 135 grain - low recoil Federal JHP. Figure I will save them for those shooters who find recoil disagreeable.

40 will be dead when I can purchase a S&W M&P 10MM. (I would be the first in the list for one of them).

The nice think with 40 is it and 10mm use the same dies for reloading.

40 will be dead when I can purchase a S&W M&P 10MM. (I would be the first in the list for one of them).

The nice think with 40 is it and 10mm use the same dies for reloading.

Keep dreaming. S&W doesn't even make .357 Sigs anymore nevermind 10mm.

-Mike

What about 41 AE? Is it dead? Maybe 41 Magnum will stage a comeback?

Those are pretty obscure.... might actually be tougher to get that stuff than .45 GAP is.

-Mike

41AE is pushing up daisies , but 41 mag is more common than 45 GAP. Mostly because 41 mag owners are a bunch of fanatics who won't listen to reason, reflexively buying all of it any time it shows up.

That's how I get mine, anyway.

Last edited:
41AE is pushing up daisies , but 41 mag is more common than 45 GAP. Mostly because 41 mag owners are a bunch of fanatics who won't listen to reason, relexively buying all of it any time it shows up.

That's how I get mine, anyway.
41 mag actually seems like a cool round to me

It is a fun one - I've got a S&W 57 and a Blackhawk in 41 Mag. Marlin has made runs of 1894 lever guns in 41 on occasion - would like to find one of them, and a Contender barrel. I had forgotten that the Deagle was available in 41 Mag, looks like fun! Easy enough round to handload, once you've got brass and bullets sourced.

I had a Sig 2340 in 40 S&W for several years, good shooting pistol and caliber. I don't have anything in 40 anymore, and for no better reason than I disliked them bridging together pieces of 9 and 45 in the tumbler so none of them were cleaned. In a logical inconsistency, I now shoot 10mm and have the same problems in the tumbler, but for no good reason it doesn't bug me like 40 did.

I shoot different calibers for different reasons. Like when I just want to tickle someone I carry .380. [popcorn]

Seriously though, I like variety. I have guns that shoot various calibers but I don't feel the need to have 1,000's of rounds of each caliber. Some I load up on some I don't. I just like the fact when I look at a decimated store ammo cabinet or am online and the majority says out of stock, there is usually something laying there I can buy and shoot. [mg]

If things got really bad and you just couldn't find ammo, can't most 40s be converted to a 9mm with just a barrel and mag swap.

Dean

Back
Top Bottom