Is open carry allowed for police in civilian clothes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no law mandating concealment in MA, period end. That said if someone has a badge its likely to make any problems go away a lot easier.

-Mike

About 20 years ago, a friend was threatened with arrest for brandishing a firearm, after a noisy neighbor saw him wearing a shoulder rig
while putting his shooting box in his car. (in his own driveway) He went back indoors, put on a jacket and was about to head to the range,
when the Revere police showed up. "Never do that again" etc..

I guess the open carry law depends on who shows up.. Someone who knows the law, or someone who doesn't..

I'll keep my guns out of sight, just to be safe..

I would have called the cops.

That did cross my mine for a second.. But I was pretty sure they were DOD contractors, Seals, or LEOs...

[banghead] and this is what's wrong with MA. Even our people are afraid of the sight of a gun. (assuming xringer isn't some flaming libtard)

Not you Artifact I know you were being sarcastic.

you are on a gun forum saying you are surprised by people carrying guns openly? isn't that what everyone here wants to see? I dont give a shit if they were door to door vacuum salesmen, they were within their rights. I wouldn't open carry personally but its not illegal..move along..

So if no one calls the cops on regular looking people, what's there to be afraid about? They will just think you're a cop, so don't dress like a thug and you're good.

Yesterday, we were in line to pay for our food at a local restaurant, when I noticed a guy (in civilian clothes)
wearing a full-sized S&W M&P (I think it was a 40cal). I could not see any badge or PD logo on his jacket..
When we sat down to eat, I saw this guy was at a table with two other guys..
All three of them had handguns on their belts.. And NOTHING to indicate they were law enforcement!

I think all the pistols were M&P40s. The model used by our town police.

Shouldn't these guys be carrying concealed??

Ah, who cares???

MYOB I say.......

[banghead] and this is what's wrong with MA. Even our people are afraid of the sight of a gun. (assuming xringer isn't some flaming libtard)
Not you Artifact I know you were being sarcastic.

At first, I assumed the guy we were standing behind, in line, was a LEO. And he was facing away from me, so I was unable to see his badge.
Then, when we were sitting down at our table, I saw him at and his friend from the side. Still no badges. When the 3rd guy joined them,
that made three armed men without badges.

That worried me and I was fearful. Because these guys were not what people expected to see.
Since the full-size M&P is Woburn PD issue, and the haircuts were GI, I assumed these
guys were not just some Mass Rifle members on their way home from the range.

If the restaurant manager or a customer had called Woburn 911, what would happen?

One night back in the 70s, a Woburn PD LEO and a Woburn PD Aux stopped at a Somerville DD near Mcgrah highway.
The counter girl saw the LEO's concealed weapon and called Somerville PD.
They came rushing in with guns drawn and pointed at the Woburn LEO.
They ignored the other guy, until he volunteered that he too was armed.
Both were disarmed, yelled at for 20 minutes and told get out and never to come back.

That event and a few others, told me something about concealed carry in the Boston area.
It's not real safe. Do it and your chances of being shot by a LEO will shoot way up!

Today, I don't know any of the LEOs in Woburn. I have no idea if they are more
or less competent than they were, when I was forced to deal with them many years ago.
They could still be the KeyStone Cops for all I know. Just with better firearms.

So if no one calls the cops on regular looking people, what's there to be afraid about? They will just think you're a cop, so don't dress like a thug and you're good.

They would take one look at me and say, 'that old dude is WAY too old to be a cop'... :(

At first, I assumed the guy we were standing behind, in line, was a LEO. And he was facing away from me, so I was unable to see his badge.
Then, when we were sitting down at our table, I saw him at and his friend from the side. Still no badges. When the 3rd guy joined them,

That worried me and I was fearful. Because these guys were not what people expected to see.

Someone please tell me my sarcasm detector is off today. Either this is very well played, or very sad/pathetic. I hope it's the first.

so you profiled someone based solely on the fact they were carrying a firearm? Don't you see the problem with that? This is why Mass Laws are so draconian when it comes to firearms..you see a gun and assume they are up to no good. The sad thing is the majority of people in this state follow your train of thought which is why so many law abiding citizens get hassled on a daily basis. Your post makes me sad.

I really hope the OP is just trolling. Sadly I don't think he is though.........

That worried me and I was fearful.

Dude...seriously?

What's funny is that around this area, if you see someone openly carrying (which is not at all uncommon), they're almost certainly not an LEO. Pretty much all the LE agencies in this area have policies that prohibit open carry in plain clothes.

Yesterday, we were in line to pay for our food at a local restaurant, when I noticed a guy (in civilian clothes)
wearing a full-sized S&W M&P (I think it was a 40cal). I could not see any badge or PD logo on his jacket..
When we sat down to eat, I saw this guy was at a table with two other guys..
All three of them had handguns on their belts.. And NOTHING to indicate they were law enforcement!

I think all the pistols were M&P40s. The model used by our town police.

Shouldn't these guys be carrying concealed??

Are you serious? MYOFB.

Were they minority inner city youth? No? Then dont be concerned. Last I checked, the bad guys with the guns dont go around OCing with holsters. And, judging by the crime stats in this state-they are the ones committing gun crimes-not a citizen OCing a firearm, for chrissakes.

Yah, real funny when it turns out to be some ordinary schmuck who gets harassed or worse, shot, by the local PD. ****ing riot. [rolleyes]

Someone's computer is not displaying the sarcasm font I used apparently. IT WAS A JOKE!

That worried me and I was fearful.

wat8.jpg

Dude...seriously?

What's funny is that around this area, if you see someone openly carrying (which is not at all uncommon), they're almost certainly not an LEO. Pretty much all the LE agencies in this area have policies that prohibit open carry in plain clothes.

This varies massively from state to state. In CT, there are hundreds of people openly carrying every day with no problems.

While MA doesn't legally prohibit OC, it is frowned upon by the PD. In most states this is irrelevant. But in MA, you have your LCT or even FID at the pleasure of the CLEO. Without a LTC or FID you can't even POSSESS firearms.

So bottom line is that if your OC pisses off the CLEO in your town, you lose your "right" to even possess firearms in the state of MA. So OC by citizens is effectively prohibited in MA.

I was in a convenience store in MA, there was a little guy all decked out in his green shirt and matching cargos tucked into his boots. He had a sweet drop leg holster. He was so tacticool that he forgot to put a mag in his gun.

I was in a convenience store in MA, there was a little guy all decked out in his green shirt and matching cargos tucked into his boots. He had a sweet drop leg holster. He was so tacticool that he forgot to put a mag in his gun.

Airsoft? [laugh]

OP --- Next time it happens,, Tackle the guy and scream " He's got a gun!!!" and start pounding the guy in the face. It is for the children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom