• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is it legal to build your own 30 round mags in MA?

Just wondering if the high cap ban only applies to mass produced post-ban magazines or if DIY guys have to comply as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe 'banned' means you can't buy, build or possess post banned high cap magazines in MA. There's no grey area there

I take that back, burden of proof is on the law to prove they're made after the date if there's no stamp on them. So effectively if you built them before '94 everything is kosher.

I take that back, burden of proof is on the law to prove they're made after the date if there's no stamp on them. So effectively if you built them before '94 everything is kosher.

Would you really want to go through the hassle of defending yourself on that though? They have lawyers on staff....most of us don't

Per MGL "Section 131M. No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. ".

"“Large capacity feeding device”, (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells"

I think they would get you over possession regardless of bought or homemade, that is unless you found a loophole that wouldn't make it a "large capacity feeding device" per MGL.

If one stays out of trouble, you don't get caught.
But if you had built a mag in the shape of a USGI without a stamp, how could they prove otherwise?

While some people may have the tools and skill to produce homemade mags that actually function (reliably) most do not and is all that effort really worth it? It might be a fun exercise but you can find pre-ban stuff why go through the hassle?

If you're going to try and skirt the law by building your own mags as lookalikes to USGI... why not just buy some post ban ones that are either undated or with dates you stamped yourself?

Rolling your own AR15 magazine doesn't sound like a good spend of effort to me.

If one stays out of trouble, you don't get caught.
But if you had built a mag in the shape of a USGI without a stamp, how could they prove otherwise?

Probably couldn't, but that doesn't mean they won't try like hell. Your life gets turned upside down and your bank account gets drained in the process. Staying out of trouble is good but shit can happen out of the blue that can jam you up.

When you worry about jail time for sheet metal you are no longer a free man .

Now if you want to convert a preban mag to work with a gun it wasn't made for that's legal if it will still work in the gun it was made for. Uzi mags for ar's
Your just adding a slot .

:( my idea of 80% mags won't work and isn't new then. I was thinking someone should make just the body and all you had to do was put in the floor plate, follower , and spring after spot welding the seam. It was worth a shot. I assume I'm not the only one bummed we can't buy p-mags?

:( my idea of 80% mags won't work and isn't new then. I was thinking someone should make just the body and all you had to do was put in the floor plate, follower , and spring after spot welding the seam. It was worth a shot. I assume I'm not the only one bummed we can't buy p-mags?

Buy and dgaf

INAL, but possession of any mag over ten is illegal I believe.

POST BAN are illegal. Pre bans, manufactured prior to 1994 (september 21st I believe) are 10000% precent legal. The AG has to prove they are post ban and you have to prove they are pre ban if it gets down to it. There are ways to tell such as dated magazines, certain manufactures that went out of business prior to the ban. Do your homework and play it safe

Riddle me this:
If a magazine assembly contains 4 parts (body, spring, follower and floor plate)
a post-ban 30-rd magazine body is only 25% of the whole. Is it illegal to own a 25% built magazine?

the spring and follower and floor plate are not the "magazine" they are the inner workings its the magazine body thats the legal/illegal part. The body is magazine.

Think of it like a car. you can take the motor out of your ford and put in a chevy motor, at the end of the day its still a ford. just the inner workings have changed.

Eff' magazines. I want a gun that I load through a funnel...

images

[video=youtube_share;ipNGB7O9WlY]http://youtu.be/ipNGB7O9WlY[/video]

Where do you get .22 with no duds like this.

Just wondering if the high cap ban only applies to mass produced post-ban magazines or if DIY guys have to comply as well.

Just write, in your own handwriting "MFG Oct '92" and maybe they won't figure it out.

Now if you want to convert a preban mag to work with a gun it wasn't made for that's legal if it will still work in the gun it was made for. Uzi mags for ar's
Your just adding a slot .
A .223 UZI would be awesome (if you had gorilla hands...)

This!
...nor are you a free man when you live in Tewksbury. Or Wilmington. Or Quincy. Or Boston. Or Newton. Or.....(fill in the names of ALL 351 cities and towns in this CommonPuke of LiberChusetts). "Free" means "Free"......

Free of worry of stupid senseless BS like sheet metal and "U shaped Glock mag notches" and LTC-A (restricted) and "may issue" FID cards if the now-convicted-of-beating-the-hell-out-of-his-wife Waltham police chief had that discretion while he was still Chief, and free of storage containers where you must keep your 2nd Amendment granted -not to be infringed - right to bear firearm "stored".

("Um, excuse me...Por favor...Mister illegal alien rapist/murderer....Would you wait just a minute while I unlock my storage container or fiddle with my trigger lock before stabbing me and my wife??...How nice of you, thanks!!
May I pour you some Starbucks "Mild Roast" while we wait??)

+1

Last edited:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say few if any have actually been prosecuted for it. Someone, I'm sure, will chime in with a few cases. Still, make sure they are pre-ban and DO NOT buy anything over 10 that is new or suspected to be post ban. Period.

the spring and follower and floor plate are not the "magazine" they are the inner workings its the magazine body thats the legal/illegal part. The body is magazine.
Think of it like a car. you can take the motor out of your ford and put in a chevy motor, at the end of the day its still a ford. just the inner workings have changed.

Cite, please.

AFAIK (IANAL) there is no legal definition of what part of a magazine is the magazine, as the frame is the "handgun", or the receiver is the "rifle". While your analogy and reasoning make sense, remember that in Mass, a shotshell wad, or an empty hull, are "ammunition". And, with regards to the empty hull, yes, people have been charged for unlicensed possession of ammo for empties.

YMMV

Back
Top Bottom