Is anyone in your family anti gun?

My family is fairly neutral. My mom's a liberal that doesn't like guns, or the fact that I carry one, but she's VERY tolerant of it. She was curious to see it when I first got it, and she's well aware that it's on me whenever I go over to visit. I don't catch any grief for it. My dad likes guns and used to enjoy shooting (he no longer owns any), but has expressed that he isn't comfortable with the fact that I carry one. He's very right-wing and pro individual rights, but he feels that somehow having a loaded gun is inviting trouble (even if I'm not advertising that I have one). At the same time, he's also not one to give me grief for it, and he's come to the range with me before and had a good time. My 6 younger siblings are gun-curious, and I need to start educating them on safety and getting them to the range. I imagine a couple of them will enjoy the experience and leave it at that, but I know a couple others would probably consider getting their LTCs now that I have one.

My girlfriend's family is relatively pro-gun. She loves them, and we've gone shooting a few times. Still trying to get her to go for her LTC. Her parents don't own any, but are actually very happy that I do. Her brother is in the Army National Guard, currently serving in Kuwait, and he wants to do some shooting with me when he gets back.

You want to convert em? Here's what you do... you invite as many anti gun people out to dinner somewhere, and set up a staged mugging for outside the restaurant. When the mugger(s) pulls a (fake) gun, and everyone freaks out, you pull yours out, and say "Listen, I don't want to kill you, so I'm gonna just walk away slowly...these guys don't have any guns, and don't like my gun, so they're on there own".....

DISCLAIMER: Obviously I'm joking.

You want to convert em? Here's what you do... you invite as many anti gun people out to dinner somewhere, and set up a staged mugging for outside the restaurant. When the mugger(s) pulls a (fake) gun, and everyone freaks out, you pull yours out, and say "Listen, I don't want to kill you, so I'm gonna just walk away slowly...these guys don't have any guns, and don't like my gun, so they're on there own".....

One word..."exxxcelllentttt"

Joking or not, I'm sure that would be the only way to convert some of them! Though...EVEN THEN...some would say "why didn't you just let us hand over our money and jewelry? He could have started shooting us all when you scared him with your gun!" They will ALWAYS have an excuse for everything. Hell I'm fighting with a guy on YouTube right now who agrees with the UN treaty to strip us of our firearms! He's a real piece of work let me tell ya

[laugh2][rofl][laugh2][rofl] NICE!

Okay, that was a good laugh!

I actually showed my sister an episode of "I Survived" on the Bio channel, didn't change her mind one bit. This one had a woman that was raped and slashed all over....in HER OWN APARTMENT....she still said she hates guns. Some of the situations a gun wouldn't help, but this was one of those that the woman definitely could have taken out this guy when he broke down her door.

One word..."exxxcelllentttt"

Joking or not, I'm sure that would be the only way to convert some of them! Though...EVEN THEN...some would say "why didn't you just let us hand over our money and jewelry? He could have started shooting us all when you scared him with your gun!" They will ALWAYS have an excuse for everything. Hell I'm fighting with a guy on YouTube right now who agrees with the UN treaty to strip us of our firearms! He's a real piece of work let me tell ya

Yeah, the idea of Americans having their right to bear arms preserved was not popular going all the way back to the Constitution. We were hated by monarchs and envied by subjects. Funny how little things change in over 200 years.

My step mother isn't anti necessarily, but she is afraid of guns. I got a new AR, and brought it over to show my dad. She came into the room, so I showed her, and I had some .223 in my range bag, so I pulled a round out to show her what the rifle shoots. She got scared, and said, "what are you doing with that?", like she thought I was gonna load it and start shooting. AKA she is so scared, she can't think logically, and she is a magistrate (similar to a judge, but appointed), so she definitely is smart and can think logically when she isn't scared of inanimate objects.

No offense, but that's the last magistrate I'd want determining my legal fate.

What's that saying..."A conservative is a liberal who's been mugged."

I actually showed my sister an episode of "I Survived" on the Bio channel, didn't change her mind one bit. This one had a woman that was raped and slashed all over....in HER OWN APARTMENT....she still said she hates guns. Some of the situations a gun wouldn't help, but this was one of those that the woman definitely could have taken out this guy when he broke down her door.

If someone doesn't have a defense oriented mindset, a machine gun and battle training won't help them in the least.

I now have my own little (big) anecdote to add to this.

Saturday night we had a family dinner with both my mother and fathers parents, as well as my fathers brother and his wife. My fathers brother started us off by proclaiming he would not be voting for my dad's buddy Deval Patrick(they were lawyers at the same firm together) again. Anyway, one thing led to another and before you know it, the subject had landed on firearms. I was utterly stunned and a little bit disturbed as I didn't realize my family was as off the charts as I thought they were. I am also relieved because my grandparents made my parents seem like hard core conservatives(in the true sense of the word).

I got the usual stories of how people have been killed with guns from my mothers parents. They refuse to recognize any statistics or simple logic. All the grandparents were railing against the common person being able to carry a firearm for protection, and they weren't hearing any of the right to self protection argument at all. I may as well have not said anything. My fathers father started railing against Starbucks' decision to allow concealed carry. My mothers parents final contribution was "Michael, so would you say your guns are just an extension of your penis?" While I didn't take this too to heart it was a little insulting as I would never disrespect them on that level. But whatever.

The next part is even worse. They all come into agreement that the military and police are the only people who should be armed, and that we must trust our government and the political process. Here I am completely dumbfounded. Of course my younger brother (A complete history and political nut, who honestly is incredibly brilliant when it comes to the world and geopolitical history) and I start citing Germany and how they went from an incredibly modernized well structured civilization to tyranny and the worlds greatest genocide in a relatively short span of time, and remind them that even in our own country our government has committed terrible atrocities such as the Japanese internment. We both recognized we saw no immediate need and didn't expect we would ever have an uprising in our lifetime in the United States, but that the founding fathers recognized the need to have a populace that was capable of preventing their government from overpowering them. This got the response of "well the founding fathers were a long time ago."

Clearly my family now thinks my brother and I are crazy, which I guess is OK. I know I took an oath to defend my constitution, and I know I take that very seriously. My father also offered the comfort that he thinks his dad was just playing devils advocate. I still love my grandparents and will continue to see them, but this seriously was a curve-ball.

Oh, and I think the reason there a greater turn towards the libertarian movement than there has been in the past, is because of the vast amount of knowledge available to people, largely through the internet. Also, a clear case history of what does and doesn't work. Also, my sister told my girlfriend she wants to learn how to shoot, so maybe the hope starts at my generation.

That's all, just sharing,

Mike

Last edited:
My mothers parents final contribution was "Michael, so would you say your guns are just an extension of your penis?" While I didn't take this too to heart it was a little insulting as I would never disrespect them on that level. But whatever.

I probably would have asked why she was so interested in my size. But I'm kind of an ass that way. And apparently I'm getting worse with age.

Saturday night we had a family dinner with both my mother and fathers parents, as well as my fathers brother and his wife. My fathers brother started us off by proclaiming he would not be voting for my dad's buddy Deval Patrick(they were lawyers at the same firm together) again. Anyway, one thing led to another and before you know it, the subject had landed on firearms. I was utterly stunned and a little bit disturbed as I didn't realize my family was as off the charts as I thought they were. I am also relieved because my grandparents made my parents seem like hard core conservatives(in the true sense of the word).

I got the usual stories of how people have been killed with guns from my mothers parents. They refuse to recognize any statistics or simple logic. All the grandparents were railing against the common person being able to carry a firearm for protection, and they weren't hearing any of the right to self protection argument at all. I may as well have not said anything. My fathers father started railing against Starbucks' decision to allow concealed carry. My mothers parents final contribution was "Michael, so would you say your guns are just an extension of your penis?" While I didn't take this too to heart it was a little insulting as I would never disrespect them on that level. But whatever.

The next part is even worse. They all come into agreement that the military and police are the only people who should be armed, and that we must trust our government and the political process. Here I am completely dumbfounded. Of course my younger brother (A complete history and political nut, who honestly is incredibly brilliant when it comes to the world and geopolitical history) and I start citing Germany and how they went from an incredibly modernized well structured civilization to tyranny and the worlds greatest genocide in a relatively short span of time, and remind them that even in our own country our government has committed terrible atrocities such as the Japanese internment. We both recognized we saw no immediate need and didn't expect we would ever have an uprising in our lifetime in the United States, but that the founding fathers recognized the need to have a populace that was capable of preventing their government from overpowering them. This got the response of "well the founding fathers were a long time ago."

Clearly my family now thinks my brother and I are crazy, which I guess is OK. I know I took an oath to defend my constitution, and I know I take that very seriously. My father also offered the comfort that he thinks his dad was just playing devils advocate. I still love my grandparents and will continue to see them, but this seriously was a curve-ball.

Oh, and I think the reason there a greater turn towards the libertarian movement than there has been in the past, is because of the vast amount of knowledge available to people, largely through the internet. Also, a clear case history of what does and doesn't work. Also, my sister told my girlfriend she wants to learn how to shoot, so maybe the hope starts at my generation.

Mike

There isn't much you can do about people who so willingly want to be helpless and trusting of those who have the ability to oppress them.
I fight the same battles as you. Unfortunately people don't remember that history can repeat itself.

What really amazes me is that there are anti-gun Jewish groups out there. Being the most persecuted people in history, one would think that they more than anyone would recognize the importance.

Last edited:
I was talking to a family friend and brought that up and he said I should have just said, yes I do. I love to fondle them both, keep them all clean, and just feel happy holding on to them, so I would say I would.... But hind sight is 20/20.

I consider it more of an extension of my fist.

About the anti-gun Jewish thing, it is weird. My whole family is weird, and had parts of our blood line cut off at the holocaust. My aunt who just recently passed away had her parents and 8 brothers and sisters executed in front of her, while she escaped out the back door of the house and into the woods.

Mike

Last edited:
All I can say Mike, about that one is... Wow. That's mind numbing.... some will just never get it. I can see "agreeing to disagree" if you can't get your point across, but what they did was simply insulting, I don't care how old they are, either... I'd probably be pretty
pissed, at some level or another. (On the other hand, there's a fair argument for NEVER letting them get to you. )

-Mike

About the anti-gun Jewish thing, it is weird. My whole family is weird, and had parts of our blood line cut off at the holocaust. My aunt who just recently passed away had her parents and 8 brothers and sisters executed in front of her, while she escaped out the back door of the house and into the woods.

Yeah, my immediate family is pretty much like that. I don't understand it, honestly. All I can do is work on the next generation. My nephew, niece and niece-in-law all know how to shoot so far. Two more nephews and a niece to go.

In some regards yes. I do believe my grandparents had it much tougher than I and they are by know means stupid. Like was said, agree to disagree. They felt this way for 80 years and I don't think I can convince them otherwise, and I am not going to try. The stooping to insults was a little harsh though, not completely unexpected.

Mike

I have no time for antis, family or not.

I just will not waste a second on them, even my brother. He is dead to me.

That's honestly sad. I don't care if my family were full blown communists they are still my family, and as long as they don't hold political office I could care less.

Mike

Mike

If this had happened at my house, I would have told ALL of them to get the f*** out of my house at top speed and NEVER, EVER set a foot on it again or they would be arrested as trespassers or shot.

My family is not anti or pro they mostly abstain except for my brother.

A neighbor whose children spent years in my house don't come over since thier father saw my safe.

He asked what it was and I said I don't believe in banks. He said really? I said no it's for my guns and the kids have'nt been back since.

My family is not anti or pro they mostly abstain except for my brother.

A neighbor whose children spent years in my house don't come over since thier father saw my safe.

He asked what it was and I said I don't believe in banks. He said really? I said no it's for my guns and the kids have'nt been back since.

Hahaha, zing! Sucks that the guy was a tool and keeps his kids away, but still, that's a good one.

OK, I'll bite. My family is mostly from Ohio and NC, none of them have a problem with firearms although I wouldn't call anyone but my brother and I pro-gun. They believe people have the right to bear arms but it isn't a major issue for them. My wife's family are all blue collar townies from Metro West. Another group that isn't anti-gun but none of them are shooters, they do feel that it's a protected right though. My mother in law is actually paying for my gun club dues and my father in law wants to go shooting with me.

My wife however was anti-gun when we met. We had been dating for a while and decided to move in together. I told her in no uncertain terms that I wasn't going to get rid of any of my guns, and that she had to learn to check each of them/make them safe. She reluctantly agreed and we spent an hour each day for a few days going over the different guns, how to check to see if they were loaded, how to unload them, etc. That warmed her up enough that she didn't mind being around when I was cleaning them or packing a range bag. Then she came with me to an indoor range that I knew catered to women shooters. While I was in the range, the counter guy was explaining to her what I was doing, what the safety precautions were and so on. When I came out she asked about coming back for their weekly woman shooters night (free classes/training for women, just the cost of ammo) and since then she's gone numerous times. She's fired everything from a 22LR pistol to a 44Mag to my SKS. She now fully supports my decision to join a gun club up here and was really happy that the membership includes immediate family so that she can go shoot.

Patience, persistence, and being calm and rational went a long way for me. Won't work for everybody since some people will refuse to change, but in my case it worked.

To add to this my father finally got back to me with a date he wants to take the safety class, he just needs to hear back from the instructor to see if the date will work. We don't have much in common so I am hoping he enjoys this enough to continue with it, but we'll see. He went from "no guns in the house" to "if they are secured properly" so forward movement is possible.

Mike

Plenty of folks in my family who would either never own a gun or are "scared" of guns...but ALL of them are supportive of the 2nd amendment for law-abiding citizens. IE, THEY might not be comfortable with owning firearms; but they demonstrate that by not owning one themselves...not imposing that view on others.
I love my family.

My fathers father started railing against Starbucks' decision to allow concealed carry. My mothers parents final contribution was "Michael, so would you say your guns are just an extension of your penis?" While I didn't take this too to heart it was a little insulting as I would never disrespect them on that level. But whatever.
Mike
Sorry to hear of this Mike. I would have respectfully told your mother her line of thinking was about to get overwhelmed by a wave caused by the low satisfaction with Obama. I would have reminded her what Martha Coakley's stance was and how her political career got stopped in it's tracks. You handled yourself pretty well considering the circumstances.[thumbsup][thumbsup]

My father's new wife, who we refer to as charlie unicorn nancy tango, is the only one I know of. Which is good and bad. See, the old man had to get rid of the guns, and I was first in line. So, it sort of worked out. Bad news is, I don't see my dad much. But, he was kind of a jerk anyhow, so I guess I hit the jackpot in a small way.

Mike

Sorry but your family are a bunch of sheep heading towards the slaughter house. My folks and family are a hell of a lot different.

No offense intended here, they're wrong and it will cost them dearly. You should be very concerned.

Back
Top Bottom