Is anyone in your family anti gun?

So...do you have anybody in your family that is anti gun? And if so..how do you deal with it? I've been getting into rather heated debates with my parents lately (also Massachusetts residents) who, as conservative as they are (yes we're all right-winged in my family) are still anti gun! Their response to the Sig 556 I own is "NOBODY needs THAT kind of gun...that "black evil looking 'assault rifle'...maybe a small pistol is ok...but anything else is overkill and you don't need it." Why can't they realize it's no more dangerous than any other firearm? They also noticed the letter I sent out yesterday in support of H. 2259...and when I told them what it was for...they exclaimed "how can you think Massachusetts gun laws are restrictive? They gave YOU a license!" They simply just don't get it...and I don't think they ever will which is disheartening. I tried to explain to them the facts about how the increased gun control has resulted in an increase in gun related homicides and such...and they blamed it on coincidence and video games! Oh...and just as the final blow to show you how misinformed they are...they referred to me as a LIBERAL for supporting civilian gun ownership! I once again tried to explain it's typically us conservatives (such as themselves) that are in support and the blood sucking liberals are the ones against it...and once again I was told I was wrong and that I'm stupid and young (I'm 24) and don't know jack shit. Sorry but I just had to vent! Anybody have similar experiences? And if so how do you deal with them?

I take it your rents have minimal experience with guns? If that's the case take pops to the range and show him its not some sort of rambo shootout and actually involves skill.

This has more to do with your parents not respecting you than with their views on guns.
Until you resolve the respect issue, you will not be able to reason with them on any subject.

Jack

My family is totally anti-gun. They don't know I have my LTC or that I have guns in my home. They would be horrified. I was raised that guns were dangerous and we were never to touch one EVER! I did tell my mother that I was taking my 14 year old son shooting at the range every Sunday, and she got mad and got off the phone instantly. Now when she talks to me for any reason, she is very cold and never brings it up. She shakes her head in disapproval if I mention it when she asks where I was on Sunday.....I am 49 years old, since when do I need her approval??????

I don't care to defend the decision I have made to keep my family safe in my own home to my parents, so I don't bring it up or mention it. I hear you in your story. My ex-husband also believes that video games are the reason crimes are so high. My kids growing up were not even allowed to have a water gun or nerf gun.....They are NOW being educated in safe gun handling by me!

Well clearly your parents are ill-informed, even about what it means to be a conservative (as are most modern day conservatives and liberals alike). Also, you seem to have some respect issues.

Anywho, my family is completely anti-gun, but more due to ignorance. My father is an attorney and has represented gun rights cases before , and has prosecuted gun cases when he was with the DA (granted they were mostly mob related). Also, my parents are quite liberal in the modern sense, though they are still in touch with reality. Up until a few months ago my father said absolutely under no circumstances did he want a gun in the house. He admitted discomfort due to not being familiar with them, but also was worried about any liability. To his credit, he wasn't unwilling to take a class or to learn, in fact he wants to go to a range with me. After they let my girlfriend keep her rifle and shotgun at the house (while my girlfriend was present) when work was being done at her house and a bunch of workers were going in and out for about a week, they more or less said I could have properly stored firearms in the house if they were locked up and inaccessible, so I consider that progress. They also have no issue with my AR15 build, granted I don't have a lower so it won't be a functional rifle for at least another 11 months.

This anti-gun sentiment more or less extends up my entire family, though nobody is political about it.

I can't fault anyone for being uncomfortable around guns. Whether or not you believe in them being called weapons (I personally don't take issue with it), all are capable of killing people, and many are designed to do so. Yes you can sport shoot, and many do, with pistols and AR15s, 870 tacticals, etc, but even here you see people refer to guns as for SHTF situations, for self defense against other people, etc. Someone who is not familiar with weapons but does understand their lethal power should be put off by them, it would be unnatural for them not to. It shouldn't be expected that anyone who's never enjoyed taking a rifle to a range would understand a family members love of guns, especially the" scary looking ones." Face it, at least 75% of people who buy certain items in the same family as AR15 s get so for the comfort aspect of having something with that amount of defensive and even offensive capability. I don't think we should expect gun virgins to understand the actual peace of mind owning something like that can bring. I will wholeheartedly admit that I am not only getting an AR15 for fun. Though I highly doubt I would ever actually need it (in the civilian world), I'd rather have it just in case than be stuck without it. I didn't always feel this way, but especially since serving in the military I have become very comfortable around firearms and have grown to understand the "extension of self" feel.

Mike

Last edited:
If my Mother ever got a look inside my safe she would faint. My father was always a gun guy but gave me some funny looks when I brought over the AR to show him. He thought it was a bit much but just said be careful, always a Dad. My Mom would have shat her pants if she saw it.
Any and all gun talk growing up was when Mom was out! She knows that they are there but didn't ever want to hear about them or see them.

I'm overwhelmed by the good responses I have gotten so quickly, so let me take a moment to thank all of you!

Great thoughts so far. Yes they have minimal experience with guns (mom has no exposure at all) and dad only shot a BB gun a couple times as a kid and MAYBE a .22 (grandma mentioned he got some sort of award for marksmanship but didn't remember if it was for target rifle or archery). Over xmas break we were in Texas visiting my aunt and uncle (my uncle is a marine sniper)...who was ecstatic to take me to the range (I can proudly say I shot a handgun as good as him...though rifles were a different story!). Needless to say we invited my sister, grandparents, and my folks to come to the range with us...every single one of them declined, so he and I went alone. They simply have no interest to be enlightened and at least give themselves a chance to learn. I agree much of the fear surrounding firearms is simply due to unfamiliarity. Either which way, my uncle was just as bummed as I was and looked at me on the car ride over to the range and said "I really wish we could get more of our family interested...". The rest of the car ride was quite silent after that

As for the respect issue I don't think they disrespect me. They think I'm very smart in most areas, but as right-winged as they are they surely side with the sheeple on issues such as firearms; and whether they respect me or not it seems their views will never change. Dad simply says he has never owned a gun or ever thought he had to. Mom states "oh that's why I had you take martial arts for years when you were a kid." (right...like pulling some jackie chan shit is going to help me when I have a .45 pointing at me from 20 feet away). On the other hand, one of my uncles was the victim of a horrible mugging in which he was hit over the head with a bat so hard he lost his ability to speak and had to learn to talk all over again! And I myself was almost the victim of a mugging..I was in a park in Worcester (in broad daylight) with my girlfriend at the time and 3 men came up to us and demanded my wallet and watch along with her purse. I refused, stood my ground, then one of the men got physical with me while the other two stood there and watched. Luckily enough I fought him off, and he ran away and told the other guys to follow him. What would I have done if they were more serious about robbing me and the 2 other men also decided to get physically involved? What if they were carrying weapons? That's one of the many reasons I have chosen to exercise my 2A rights, though as of now I have a T&H restriction and can't carry anyway. Nevertheless this isn't about that though...I just simply wish I could get more of the family to respect my decision to defend myself and the people I love. But as many of you have already stated...maybe it shouldn't matter to me as much as it does. It's my decision, and as long as I respect myself that's the most important thing

On the other side of the spectrum I work with a hardcore liberal. We clash on politics but we love talking about guns. Go figure.

Last edited:
My oldest sister is anti. My mother and younger sister both were very happy to go to Women on Target when I offered to pay for it. My mom since then has applied and received her LTC-A no restrictions. My younger sister has not yet applied but will at some point soon. I don't bring up firearms near my older sister and I believe with her it is just a fear and that maybe someday she will get over it...

My father is of the "guns are bad in every one elses hands but his" persuasion. He also is a disciple of the "have gun will kill" religion. He constantly bump frisks me when he is at my house and tisk-tisks me when he finds me carrying.

That said he loves going to the range with me and is in love with my SAA, colt 1911 and my colt SP1. When I get an M14 he will love that too because that is what he had in the Army. It's a lost cause outside of the range though so I just ignore it and don't talk guns with him. Or anything else for that matter but that works for us.

My mother and father both have their LTCs and my father used to run IHMSA matches and taught me to shoot prone at long range using a tricked out S&W .357 when I was 12. My mother in-law gave me the cash to get a mint Yugo 59/66 SKS from Samco when they still shipped and her husband marks out for my M1 Garand all the time because he carried one in Korea. All the rest of my family have passed on and my late grandfather was in a photo recently in the GOAL newsletter with Gov. King.

Its great having an entire pro gun family.[grin]

Mom is completely pro-2A. I've convinced her to get her LTC. She's not sure if she'd carry in Mass., but has said if she lived in a more gun-friendly state that she'd definitely carry. She loves shooting handguns, but doesn't get as much thrill from rifles/shotguns.

Dad is somewhat ambivalent. I think if his eyesight didn't completely suck for shooting (far-sighted in one eye, near-sighted in the other) he'd enjoy it a lot more. As it is now, its extremely difficult for him to find the target or acquire proper sight alignment. It makes me feel bad, because I know he's trying to show an interest in something I love, but he gets frustrated when he can't see anything.

Both my sisters are pretty good shots. They come with me to the range every now and then and enjoy it. They've got nothing against guns at all but don't have a huge attraction towards them either.

Outside my immediate family is a slightly different story...

My wife isn't anti-gun, she is just worried about having guns in the house when we have our future children running around. Between the safe, the trigger locks, and the ammunition in another safe, and the education I will give our kids about guns, I am still trying to ease her fears. Bottles of booze, knives, and matches/lighters are all dangerous in a child's hands but no one seems to lock those things up. She grew up in an anti-gun house so it will take her some time to come around.

As far as my parents go, my dad was in Vietnam and said he fired enough rounds then so he never cared to own a gun, but he supports gun rights. My mom also supports gun ownership, she just doesn't like it when people shoot cute animals. I tried to explain to her that many cute animals are also delicious.

SKS...I will say right now that I think I almost hate you! :D WAY jealous over here

BeerBaron..hope your wife comes around but good on you for planning ahead for when the kids come along. I agree with your points about booze, knives, matches/lighters, etc... Especially the booze in particular...in another thread we're comparing deaths caused by drunk drivers vs. firearms..and how driving is a privilege when owning firearms is a right...yet based on current legislation it certainly doesn't feel that way! Oh...and shame on you for telling your wife those cute animals are delicious! She'll never look at you the same way again! haha

My older brother is extremely liberal and believes everything about guns is bad. We seldom talk and once went about 4-5 years without talking because of a heated discussion we had regarding the need to own guns. We get along better these days but I completely avoid talking about guns or politics in general. I feel bad about it because he has a bad heart and I feel like I'm missing something not having a better relationship with him. I'm not going to stop liking guns just because a family member has an unfounded prejudice against them. The way I look at it if he wants to be a victim that's his choice. I'm not going to buy into that line of thinking.

I come from a family who usually is able to set their differences aside and rarely go that long without talking, even after huge arguments. I remember my uncle said something about my brother once (who's high functioning autistic) in front of my mother and she went bat shit crazy. They still managed to get over it pretty quickly. OTOH, my girlfriends family has various members which have gone close to 10 year periods without talking, on both sides. I'm just not sure how they do it over some pretty menial disagreements. I guess I just never found something serious enough to write a relative out of my family for, and certainly not guns.

Mike

No one in my immediate household is anti-gun.

Certainly members of my extended family are. Mostly aunts, uncles, cousins, and in-laws.

Tough to avoid in MA.

A couple folks I talk to regularly are anti-gun, and I actually like having the pro- vs anti- gun discussions with them. However, they're also *reasonable*, meaning that though we disagree, they actually listen to my opinions and arguments and consider them, rather than dismiss them outright because they're pro-gun. The rest of my family is anti-gun. While I am perfectly fine having similar discussions with my siblings (they're reasonable), I don't volunteer it with my parents, having had many, many a nonsensical, irrational discussion with my parents on other topics. I don't have any fear of them finding out, I just don't volunteer it, because then I'd need to find the aspirin.

Anti-gun people who are willing to have open discussions are great (and occasionally can be swayed). On the other hand, anti-gun folks who have a "guns are just wrong" mind set are headache-inducing and rarely swayed -- best to just agree to disagree in those instances, in my opinion.

My (close) relatives are cool; my wife is as proud as I am of how well both my sons shoot.

Her friends, and a fair percentage of mine...not so much. ("Your kids shoot? Does that mean you have...guns?!?!" "Well, of course!" [grin]

I have an open (and repeated) invitation to them to come on out and try it, both to the folks my age and the kids, too. Only had a couple of takers, but it's better than nothiing, guess!

Like the old saying goes, "You can choose your friends, not your family."

Best bet is to be a good example of responsible firearm ownership.

Best of luck!

My sister is a hardcore anti. I play the "I'm in the military, and will be doing law enforcement for the Coast Guard" card, which turned into "well, you NEED a gun AT WORK, but you shouldn't just have one at home. They're BAD!" and refused to discuss the issue further. She won't even go into the basement if she knows the safe is open. I keep trying to be diplomatic about it, but she refuses to discuss it.

Parents are more supportive. Mom was hesitant but glad I was responsible about it and am passionate about my hobby and improving my skills. Came to the range once, decided it wasn't for her but could see why people would enjoy it. Dad started off against it, got scared by Obama and thinks that I might be right. He's also had a great time at the range. My grandparents are of the old-school democrat camp who see no need for guns unless one is a farmer, but between me being in the CG and my cousin interning with the FBI, they can see why we might want to develop our skills at arms. Gonna have to get my granddad to the range to see if he can still shoot an M1.

After creating this thread it's interesting to see everybody's different approaches on this issue. I understand it's certainly hard to avoid here in Mass, but in all honesty my family isn't even originally from Mass. Father was born in Manhatten and grew up in Pennsylvania which is reasonably gun friendly. Mother grew up in Rhode Island...both parents met each other while at college in Michigan and lived there for a few years after I was born (though I was born in Connecticut). Since then we've been all over the place, including Illinois (also horrible gun laws there)...however I've been in Mass over half my life and I hate this state more and more as time goes on.

Either which way I do what I can to show my support in this state, regardless of what the family thinks at this point. I wear my NRA and Smith and Wesson t-shirts as often as possible, even around college. I donate to pro-gun associations when funds allow. I do my best to get friends interested since the family is a lost cause (believe it or not many of the ladies want to learn to shoot, more often than the guys!). I just hate how closed-minded the people in this state are, and how retarded the laws are. I mean...I can't own a PMAG because it's manufactured after 1994, but I can own any mag manufactured prior to then? Why? They both function the same, they both hold 20-30 rds depending on the type...so who cares when it was manufactured except to simply try to limit the amount possessed within the state? Serves no purpose except to make it more difficult for us. Not to mention the laws against folding or collapsible stocks on post-ban firearms (as if that makes a carbine ANY more lethal). Sorry don't mean to keep on blabbing...I know I'm not saying anything outside the realm of common sense and what all of you already know, but it still doesn't change how much it irks me. At least I was able to convert my last girlfriend into appreciating firearm ownership! When I first met her I got the whole "you're a pussy if you need a gun, you should be able to solve any problem with your fists like a real man." Then the night came when she thought somebody was inside our apartment and woke me up saying "babe get your gun and check the place out I think somebody is in our kitchen!" I knew nobody was inside as I'm an extremely light sleeper, but it brought a smile to my face knowing she DID feel safer knowing I had firearms and could protect us if necessary, though she indirectly admitted so. Unfortunately she turned psycho and I broke up with her and moved out...but hey just means I now have an opportunity to convert the next one as well...one at a time :)

My mom isn't necessarily anti gun. She did go shooting with Chuckster once. She just doesn't "get it", for lack of better explaination, when it comes to firearms. Other than that, my extended family pretty much stays quiet about the gun thing. I can't say we have any other immediate fmaily members that own any, but they don't act like it's a big deal that my dad has several. I do have several friends though, that are afraid of guns, and therefore don't like them. Another friend thinks he'd blow his foot off if he were to shoot. He likes guns, he's just accident prone so he avoids them.

This has more to do with your parents not respecting you than with their views on guns.
Until you resolve the respect issue, you will not be able to reason with them on any subject.

Jack

Ding ding ding!

As for the thread in general, I'm gay, and let me tell you, this is similar to the rigamarole gay people go through with their families. Learn from gay people: do not be closeted about your gun ownership, stand up for yourself, and assume others are competent enough to understand your position. Don't dumb down your views for them, or "tone down" your actions, since what you are doing isn't wrong. If someone criticizes you, it won't kill you.

On the other side of the spectrum I work with a hardcore liberal. We clash on politics but we love talking about guns. Go figure.

I'm just kicking in some food for thought. I believe that gun ownership is a civil right afforded to citizens by the US Bill of Rights. Therefore, it should not be a partisan issue. If you want to debate the old "who gets what and who pays for it" ok I'm going to follow a more conservative approach and you a a more liberal. I believe in school vouchers and you don't. Those are liberal vs. conservative issues. However, when pertaining to our civil rights, these issues should not be partisan. Who ever heard of "he's a Republican therefore he believes in the right of the citizens to be tried by a jury" or vice versa? Of course ludicrous. How did the second amendment become open for debate?

I would understand this behavior concerning the contentious third amendment.

So...do you have anybody in your family that is anti gun? And if so..how do you deal with it? I've been getting into rather heated debates with my parents lately (also Massachusetts residents) who, as conservative as they are (yes we're all right-winged in my family) are still anti gun! Their response to the Sig 556 I own is "NOBODY needs THAT kind of gun...that "black evil looking 'assault rifle'...maybe a small pistol is ok...but anything else is overkill and you don't need it." Why can't they realize it's no more dangerous than any other firearm? They also noticed the letter I sent out yesterday in support of H. 2259...and when I told them what it was for...they exclaimed "how can you think Massachusetts gun laws are restrictive? They gave YOU a license!" They simply just don't get it...and I don't think they ever will which is disheartening. I tried to explain to them the facts about how the increased gun control has resulted in an increase in gun related homicides and such...and they blamed it on coincidence and video games! Oh...and just as the final blow to show you how misinformed they are...they referred to me as a LIBERAL for supporting civilian gun ownership! I once again tried to explain it's typically us conservatives (such as themselves) that are in support and the blood sucking liberals are the ones against it...and once again I was told I was wrong and that I'm stupid and young (I'm 24) and don't know jack shit. Sorry but I just had to vent! Anybody have similar experiences? And if so how do you deal with them?

Sounds pretty clueless to me.

A lot of very interesting (and well thought out) comments here. I don't know how you can convince parents that guns are okay. They are, after all, your parents, and no matter how old you may be it's always going to be a parent-child relationship. Most people have phobias about something. I think some people are anti-gun because they associate the gun with the reality of violence. Maybe if they just don't admit that there are violent people in the world they won't have to consider how they will handle it if they're ever faced with it. If they avoid the object they associate with the violence then they don't have to deal with the ugly reality of the whole issue. Out of sight = out of mind. Just armchair psychology on my part.

I know several people who enjoy eating meat, but don't really want to consider where the meat comes from. Maybe it's a similar thing with hoplophobiacs.

Newenglandshooter good point there. I respect you for not staying closeted, and just like I stated before I have been doing my best not to tone myself down. Like I said in an earlier thread I support my position rather openly, defending my position against anti's when I can and wearing tshirts around as often as possible. I also proudly display an NRA sticker on my Jaguar and plan on getting a Goal one as well.

KDK...you're right on as well. I don't know when ANY amendment, let alone the 2nd, suddenly became open for debate. I don't understand how things have gotten to this point..but it seems much of the content in the Constitution is no longer taken at face value, as it was intended. More and more often it's being stretched out of shape in order to suit the needs and wants of the control freaks in office. A government should never be stronger than the people it serves! WE elect the officials, WE pay them with our tax dollars...therefore...they work for US! So why do they oppose and continue to work against us?

My whole family is not only anti-gun, but ignorant liberals. They will vote for anyone with a D next to the name, not even knowing the candidate. They absolutely flipped out when I started getting into guns and went ballistic when the found I carried. At Christmas my brother bumped into me and could feel the gun. Then the sh*t really hit the fan. I was getting screamed at and told never to bring it in any of their houses again! No matter how I try to talk to them and explain, they are completely nuts about it. The surprising thing is that my dad was a hunter and for a brief stint, worked as an armed guard. Not sure if he really has a problem, or he is faking it to keep from getting into a confrontation with everyone else. I chaulk it all up to the pussification of America.

Back
Top Bottom