Is anyone in your family anti gun?

Newenglandshooter good point there. I respect you for not staying closeted, and just like I stated before I have been doing my best not to tone myself down. Like I said in an earlier thread I support my position rather openly, defending my position against anti's when I can and wearing tshirts around as often as possible. I also proudly display an NRA sticker on my Jaguar and plan on getting a Goal one as well.

Good for you. I got your drift there, I just wanted to put the sentiment out there for people. I think people will learn the most from you when they just sort of see you going about your daily life. If they respect you as a person, they may come to respect your gun ownership, which is a part of who you are. I'm pretty upfront about my guns, and people have come out of the woodwork saying they believe in the right to bear arms, or they support gun ownership. And sometimes it comes from pretty unexpected places. A very interesting experience :)!

Yes, my brother's wife. She didn't even want her son to join the military. So he became a LEO....

They've moved to Texas (where she's from) so it won't be an issue here anymore.

First, understand: I'm from Arkansas, my wife is from Louisiana, and we live in Texas (but only until we can move to New Hampshire).

So: no. Not everyone in my family owns guns or shoots, but there isn't a single anti-gun person in my immediate, extended, or in-law family. Politically they range from yellow dog democrat to anarcho-capitalist, but none think gun control is even a question.

In this part of the country, when someone does have that opinion, they tend to keep it to themselves, which sounds exactly opposite from the Mass. gun owners who have to be careful about coming out of the closet.

My best was after Obama got elected. At a family Christmas party one of my anti gun cousins asked if I could teach him to shoot, but don't tell his brother. Well then my other anti gun cousin asked me to teach him to shoot, but don't tell his brother. I ended up giving them the class together and they both now own firearms (and voted for Scott)

My family:

My dad is a hardcore 2A supporter. He is 73 and believes the day we lose our 2A rights, Japan and China will storm Alaska, and work their way south into mainland USA. He doesnt own guns, nor does he want them because he also understands the minority gun owners protect the majority just by having them. He also suggests concerns about "collecting" guns because all it does it put you at risk of losing the collection if your wife or girlfriend calls the cops, and that is a bad investment in his mind. He doesnt agree with me carrying all the time, but he also doesnt tell me not to. He agrees it is good to carry when I travel to his house which is 6 hours away, and alot of places to break down in between. He thinks it is great I took it up, just maybe not to the extent I did, because of potential financial loss. I think ultimately he likes the idea of a shotgun, a hunting rifle, and a pistol should be in most homes.

My wife: totally cool with it, but not until she took a course. She gets it now, and the first 3 months of me carrying was the hardest for her. Now she says nothing, because she sees now how criminals follow no laws, rules, signs, or moral compasses.

Most of my family and friends support it, actually surprisingly so. There are a couple who dont agree with CCW all the time, for all the same reasons we talk about here on the forum. The people who dont understand guns typically ask me to teach them, so they can make an educated decision. Those who dont agree with gun ownership typically dont bring it up in my circle, because they would get eaten alive. I just tell people it is a personal choice that I support to make or not make.

Last edited:
My mother is very anti-gun, but respects me enough not to try and change my mind, and I don't try to change hers. My sister is/was somewhat anti-gun (at least by most people on this forums opinion). She is a LEO in KY, but definitely not verbally so and does not try and push her opinions on others.
My stepmothre used to be anti-gun, now is pro-gun and actually took some shooting courses and enjoys shooting(plinking) and supports hunters on their property (deer).

I think it all boils down to respect (which many have mentioned). This is a nation where we are encouraged to have our own opinions/beliefs. Yet many do not respect others opinions/beliefs - including many 2nd amendment advocates on this forum.
Personally I will support legislatures & legislation that supports our right to bear arms. I will not argue with or try to change the opinions of individuals that are totally anti-gun. I will try to educate people with open minds (even if they are initially anti-gun 0 usually due to ignorance or media stereo types....)

I'm just kicking in some food for thought. I believe that gun ownership is a civil right afforded to citizens by the US Bill of Rights. Therefore, it should not be a partisan issue. If you want to debate the old "who gets what and who pays for it" ok I'm going to follow a more conservative approach and you a a more liberal. I believe in school vouchers and you don't. Those are liberal vs. conservative issues. However, when pertaining to our civil rights, these issues should not be partisan. Who ever heard of "he's a Republican therefore he believes in the right of the citizens to be tried by a jury" or vice versa? Of course ludicrous. How did the second amendment become open for debate?

I would understand this behavior concerning the contentious third amendment.

I don't mean to run off the track, but I have an important correction to your post, if you don't mind. It may help in future discussions about the RTKBA.

Gun ownership isn't "...a civil right afforded to citizens by the US Bill of Rights."

Armed self defense is a natural right AFFIRMED by the Constitution.

The wording is..."....the (existing) right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

The Founding Fathers believed in natural laws, bestowed by our creator (or common sense, for non-believers). They intended the Constitution to affirm or, in some cases, clarify those rights, or specifically limit the Federal government's ability to effect them.

For centuries, people have acknowledged a right to self defense using arms. Tyrannical governments restrict or eliminate those rights. Our Constitution attempted to ensure the right to keep and bear arms would remain inviolate.

My mother is very anti gun. Thankfully she doesn't live near me. My brother and I figure she would have a coronary if she knew what we both had.[laugh]
We don't discuss it with her,easier all the way around.
She wouldn't let our dad keep any guns in the house,ever.

Last edited:
My mother is very anti gun. Thankfully she doesn't live near me. My brother and I figure she would have a coronary if she knew what we both had.[laugh]
We don't discuss it with her,easier all the way around.
She wouldn't let our dad keep any guns in the house,ever.

Can't think of anyone that is anti in my family....many that wouldn't touch them, but no one that would really be against it.

My neighbor's wife is the closest anti gun type I have to deal with........that's where I'll get the "guns kill people" comments. That shit makes me squirm, because to be neighborly I keep my mouth shut. Still, I always invite their son to shoot with my son and I, they always have an excuse not to let him, but still I ask when I can. The kid has shot the BB gun over my house a few times with my son, so she's not a total freak about it....but you can tell there no one would be "allowed" to have guns in that house.

My Mother does not care for guns, but she tolerates their existance. (she was raised in England). My father has several guns, but if he dies before her, she will want them out asap.

My Brother's wife is a huge anti-gun liberal moonbat who thinks that Obama can (and probably does) walk on water. My brother has drank her koolaid and is a big dem now. He cannot understand why anyone would want to own a gun. Basically, I think his wife took his junk, and is wearing it for him....

Last edited:
I have 5 younger sisters and they are all anti. My mother and father were not anti, but neither of them ever owned a firearm either (I miss them...). I avoid my sisters at all costs and haven't seen any of them since my father died in Sept. of '08. My 2 daughters and their mother aren't really anti, but they are not pro 2A either. Some years ago I had a family gathering at my home and wanted to surprise my uncle by showing him an M1 Garand I had as I knew he was issued one when he was in the Army back in the day. When I took it out of the safe his eyes lit up and he beamed a big smile and exclaimed "An M1!!". While he was handling it his sister, my aunt, came around corner, saw what was going on and yelled at him to "put that thing down, it might go off!!" Then she admonished me for even having such a thing. I haven't seen or spoken to her since my Dad's memorial service. I had to disown most of my family beause of this anti-gun sentiment and a bunch of other differences in beliefs and/or basic rights.

Last edited:
My mother was sort of Anti-gun but in the past 6 months I have changed her mind. She was only anti because she was scared of guns because she had never shot one. I told her she has to try it before she can judge. She took the class with my father and loves to shoot! Now, I got my mother and father to get their LTC along with my friend and his wife, and both sets of their parents and a couple others. I have been working hard.

My wife, who is under the impression that a loaded gun can go off at any moment without any provacation. She has the same illogical fear of ammunition, as if it's going to spontaniously explode. I need firearms for my employment, so she knows they're in the home. She simply wants nothing to do with them.

Doesn't stop me from buying toys though.

All of my Family was anti-gun and totally ignorant about them (except for my late Father who was drafted into WWII and fought his way across Europe . . . he never wanted to touch another gun after the War). The only person of concern was my Wife who was anti-gun for many years. She finally gave in and after many more years got interested in shooting and is now a GOAL Sustaining Member and asked me for slot #1 on NRA"s offer of Life Membership for $300.00. She now shoots with me every time I go to the range on a weekend.

We've always taken a "don't ask, don't tell" approach to firearms. Only once has my Wife outed me at a Cousin's over a holiday dinner. It was an "oh, you do" type of conversation but afterwords I admonished her to never bring it up again in public.

Meanwhile I visited my BIL/SIL once armed in uniform and no comments were made. I probably did the same a few times at my late Parents as well. Other times I was CCW and nobody knew or asked.

I once convinced my late MIL to try shooting and she enjoyed herself (plastic milk jugs filled with water).

It's never been a big issue amongst Family.

My Cousin who spent six years in the Marines, gives me grief all that time about Carrying. With comments like what are you scared of, cant' you handle yourself. Its odd hearing it from him. Expecially since his farther carried everyday. My Father a LEO gives me a hard time because he carries a .380 and I carry a .40 he says its over kill. WHICH IS VERY ODD CONSIDERING HES BEEN SHOT IN THE LINE OF DUTY. My wife WAS anti gun. now depending on what she is wearing she either carries a Seecamp or a Supcompact M&P

Last edited:
Ding ding ding!

As for the thread in general, I'm gay, and let me tell you, this is similar to the rigamarole gay people go through with their families. Learn from gay people: do not be closeted about your gun ownership, stand up for yourself, and assume others are competent enough to understand your position. Don't dumb down your views for them, or "tone down" your actions, since what you are doing isn't wrong. If someone criticizes you, it won't kill you.

This is exactly the point that I was making in my "out, loud and PROUD" post:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-Out-Loud-and-PROUD!?highlight=out+loud+proud

As long as we hide, we'll be villified.

My family is totally anti-gun. They don't know I have my LTC or that I have guns in my home. They would be horrified. I was raised that guns were dangerous and we were never to touch one EVER! I did tell my mother that I was taking my 14 year old son shooting at the range every Sunday, and she got mad and got off the phone instantly. Now when she talks to me for any reason, she is very cold and never brings it up. She shakes her head in disapproval if I mention it when she asks where I was on Sunday.....I am 49 years old, since when do I need her approval??????

I don't care to defend the decision I have made to keep my family safe in my own home to my parents, so I don't bring it up or mention it. I hear you in your story. My ex-husband also believes that video games are the reason crimes are so high. My kids growing up were not even allowed to have a water gun or nerf gun.....They are NOW being educated in safe gun handling by me!
My mother was strictly anti-gun. My sister the same. The reason was that one of my uncles (Army medic) was hit by a (most likely 7.7 mm) bullet from a Jap rifle or machine gun in the Philippines during WW II. He survived, but was seriously injured. Such is the horror of war. I wasn't even allowed to have a BB gun when I was a kid. I was the only guy in school that didn't own one. My friends allowed me to use theirs, but I was careful to never mention that at home. Needless to say, when I turned 18, I obtained my FID and still have it today.

I have a rabidly liberal son who at 21 would not even think about going to the range with me. Another son who very much enjoys it. My wife is completely non committal but was not having fun the one time I talked her into going to the range. I personally try to fight the good fight with other relative regarding the sport of shooting and have turned around some folks by getting them to the range. Keep working on your parents with thoughtful rational arguments and you may turn them around.

I wouldn't say that I have Anti's, but definitely a couple Fudds. My Father has always been very supportive of my love for guns, but he is a Fudd. He gave me some sh*t when I brought home my first AR, he thought I was crazy and told me I was gonna be on some "LIST" now. I laughed, and told him it was worth it. My Mother could care less, she is not for or against guns, she is just nuetral, and only makes a big deal when I spend money on guns rather than paying her rent. My sister is intrigued by guns but afraid to try, it makes no sense but I will not force her. I simply tell her to let me know when she is ready. Overall my Family is great, but they could all use some range time.

My mom was completely anti until I got my license and a safe. Then she pulled a 180 and now my dad is licensed and has a safe too. Of course, I got a lot of grief for getting the license and buying my first guns from my GF. C'est la vie.

Their response to the Sig 556 I own is "NOBODY needs THAT kind of gun...that "black evil looking 'assault rifle'...maybe a small pistol is ok...but anything else is overkill and you don't need it."

If someone sais that...then look around and make your case. Do you really NEED a 42 inch plasma? Doesn't the old 20" Tube do the same thing?

I don't mean to run off the track, but I have an important correction to your post, if you don't mind. It may help in future discussions about the RTKBA.

Gun ownership isn't "...a civil right afforded to citizens by the US Bill of Rights."

Armed self defense is a natural right AFFIRMED by the Constitution.

The wording is..."....the (existing) right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

The Founding Fathers believed in natural laws, bestowed by our creator (or common sense, for non-believers). They intended the Constitution to affirm or, in some cases, clarify those rights, or specifically limit the Federal government's ability to effect them.

For centuries, people have acknowledged a right to self defense using arms. Tyrannical governments restrict or eliminate those rights. Our Constitution attempted to ensure the right to keep and bear arms would remain inviolate.

I didn't mean to side track the current discussion either as it is a very interesting and relevant one. But thank you for your input correction noted. As for myself, I am fairly open about my hobbies and generally don't hide it unless I am in company where I know it's not a good idea to bring up guns. My family is all pro gun except for my mother. She is not anti gun in the classical sence. She does not disapprove of firearm ownership in fact she supports it. However, she does not like guns and is fearful of them. She always says "have all the guns you want but not in my house". Go figure...

The ladies in my family (wife and daughter) are extremely anti-gun and the boys (son and I) are just as pro.

My extended family is neutral at best ranging towards anti. They mostly think I'm a little 'touched' for wanting them in the first place.

I must admit I did not read the whole thread.
I have 2 that are anti's - 1 I was able to convert through discussion and a Woman on Target event.
The other understands the right but does not think its justified to own certain weapons if any at all. This one I will not waste any more time on.

It seems like a lot of the fear comes from a single instance of murder or injury, which is not rational, because you probably have more people in any family die or end up gravely injured from anything but guns, than from guns.

Second, the whole, the guns go off on their own, is also irrational because they don't. But perhaps on this one, it came from negligent owners on guns being cleaned that made a mistake and shot their kid, and told their story as their guns go off accidentally.

I tell people all the time that guns dont go off, the trigger is pulled or not pulled, period.

I do not associate with anti-gun, liberal moonbats. I dumped my siblings years ago. My girlfriend doesn`t shoot but has no problem with firearms. I have taken my 25 yr.old daughter shooting but she only has an FID for mace. Anti-gun moonbats are a danger to me and themselves. Nuff said.

Back
Top Bottom