Iowa no permit carry?

BillB

Banned
From a gun site email....

In the middle of America, you wouldn't expect it to be so difficult to get a concealed carry permit. But in Iowa, it is -- especially if the local sheriff doesn't like you.

That's why I'm glad to introduce you to a great new organization fighting on this issue. Iowa Gun Owners has been pushing for a major reform of Iowa's "Might Issue" concealed carry laws.

Not since Alaska (in 2003) has a state passed a no-permit-needed concealed carry law, enacting real carry freedom for law-abiding gun owners.

Iowa Gun Owners burst on to the scene in their rural state because for too long nothing had been done about their atrocious gun laws.

Compared to most of the smaller states, Iowa has some of the worst firearms laws in America, and no one in power seemed to care (though local gun owners have wanted change for years).

But in early 2009, State Rep. Kent Sorenson (R-Indianola) sponsored a bill to end the demand that Iowans beg permission to carry concealed.

And Iowa Gun Owners took action.

Surprising pundits throughout the state, Iowa Gun Owners brought Sorensen's bill within 1 vote of passing their State House.

Now, in an effort to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, the institutional gun lobby has offered a "compromise." To many, that comes as no surprise, but it will spell defeat for any real concealed carry reform in Iowa.

The plains states were some of the very last to approve CCW. Okhalhoma in the early 2000s and Kansas in 2006. Nebraska is even worse. They also went CCW in the mid 2000s but they included a home rule provision where any town can ban CCW within its city limits regardless of state law.

All those laws came with their list of Florida-style restricted places though KS and OK ban employers from forbidding their employees to keep firearms in their vehicles while they are at work and both allow CCW in restaurants that serve liquor.

Nebraska is even worse. They also went CCW in the mid 2000s but they included a home rule provision where any town can ban CCW within its city limits regardless of state law.

Nebraska, despite being a very conservatively tempered state politically, is run by a Unicameral. This government system allows one representative in the state to block any bill that is trying to be passed.

Until recently, Ernie Chambers (a rep. from 'inner city omaha' *what a joke*) has been blocking the passage of a CCW bill for the last 25 years. He recently retired and the bill passed, but not without certain conditions that he hammered into other rep's minds.

So you can have a very red state... an entirely red state.... except for one A-hole... and you're ruined. Being that it's my home state, it angers me it took this long. And it angers me even more that it reflects MA like provisions!

IA has no hope. That place is bluer than my eyes. It's why Nebraskans lovingly refer to them as Iweegians. I won't even go into it's technical definition...

Back
Top Bottom