Inherited guns in MA

couple questions, hopefully some one has dealt with this and may save me some time helping an friend.

can an unlicensed individual sell/possess inherited guns in MA?

can they legally transport them to a shop?

what if they are high capacity weapons?

thanks for any input...

couple questions, hopefully some one has dealt with this and may save me some time helping an friend.

can an unlicensed individual sell/possess inherited guns in MA?

can they legally transport them to a shop?

what if they are high capacity weapons?

thanks for any input...

No.

No.

Still no.

If you inherit firearms, you have a grace period of 180 days (IIRC) in which to obtain the proper FID or LTC. You can't transfer these firearms privately unless and until you are properly licensed. It doesn't matter if they're high cap or not, except for the type of license required.

Ken

Can't sell a gun you're not licensed to own, other than executors of an estate. Hence my "no."

If you want an FFL to handle the sale of an inherited piece, that's fine.

Can't sell a gun you're not licensed to own, other than executors of an estate. Hence my "no."

If you want an FFL to handle the sale of an inherited piece, that's fine.

BUT, keep in mind that if it is a handgun, no MA Dealer can legally transfer it within MA unless it is on the EOPS List AND AG-compliant, OR was documented to be "in state" on 10/21/98 (only needs to have been mfd by that date for AG's exemption). [Most gun owners don't keep their "paper" on the gun, so in most cases can't prove it to a MA Dealer's satisfaction.]

Thus, my admonition to keep FFLs out of the loop on inheritance.

BUT, keep in mind that if it is a handgun, no MA Dealer can legally transfer it within MA unless it is on the EOPS List AND AG-compliant, OR was documented to be "in state" on 10/21/98 (only needs to have been mfd by that date for AG's exemption). [Most gun owners don't keep their "paper" on the gun, so in most cases can't prove it to a MA Dealer's satisfaction.]

Thus, my admonition to keep FFLs out of the loop on inheritance.

Lens,
Without an FFL in the loop, how would an unlicensed inheritor sell the handguns?

This sounds like another good reason to make sure my wife has her LTC.
-Cuz.

Lens,
Without an FFL in the loop, how would an unlicensed inheritor sell the handguns?

This sounds like another good reason to make sure my wife has her LTC.

PRECISELY. Hence my recommendation to have an FFL handle the guns. The mere fact that they can't be sold in Mass. is hardly a crisis - there are 49 other states the FFL can ship them to. [rolleyes]

I am NOT going to play a lawyer here, so all I'm going to do is parrot what I've heard Chief Glidden tell others. I won't pretend that it is totally legal since I do not know . . . and I absolutely insisted that my Wife get her LTC some 29 years ago (and her FID almost the same time I did, 31 years ago where you could possess handguns on it in the home, UNLIKE today). Now that she shoots (and owns some of her own), I no longer have to argue with her to renew it.

- Any licensed person can transport the guns with the unlicensed owner to an FFL to dispose of them for her.

- Problem with this is that MANY MA Dealers will NOT take handguns that they can't legally sell in MA . . . they don't want to be bothered trying to sell over the Internet out of state. OR if they do, they will only offer a LOT less than their value (typical dealer will only give you ~50% of resale value anyway)!

- To use an example: A used Glock 27 in a "free state" will sell probably $450-500 retail. In MA as a FTF (LTC-LTC) people easily get $700-800 for them. So, the value to a MA Dealer when he can't sell it in MA is likely $400 and he might offer $200-250 cash. If it was "papered" (proof it was in MA on 10/21/98 or made before that date in the case of Glocks) he might offer $350-400 cash! If it is an H&K USP people sell them in MA for as much as $1000, whereas in "free states" they probably go for $500-600 used.

Bottom line is that this person will be screwed financially if they want to sell them unless she gets her LTC and can sell them privately.

Back
Top Bottom