• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

i'm wondering why people need a rotation of carry guns

Same pistol all year round here. It's polymer and stainless steel with a black nitride finish, holds 7 + 1, and the magazine is filled with FMJ HP 135g year round too!

The only people you need to wonder about is YOU. Who cares about the boomer carrying the 1911 that mag dumps in to the dirt while being mugged, then gets his blaster taken off his unconscious body. Literally the only thing saving the boomers live is the mugger has an empty blaster in his hand.

G45 master race, ccw, training, matches.

wouldn't it be better to find that one pistol that fits all needs and stay with that? learn that one gun so it's second nature and is an extension of your hand? .
Are guns really all that different that’s there’s much learning curve from 1 to the next though?

Are guns really all that different that’s there’s much learning curve from 1 to the next though?

I believe there are a lot of CCW holders who envision themselves in some sort of faceoff where they have to quickly draw on their adversary like Ned Niederlander, in which case yes, it would be best if they were 100% familiar with every aspect of how their firearm works, points, and shoots. Such people are probably well-advised to carry Glocks or Smith revolvers, which come in different flavors but work the same way.

For me, in my assessment of life's many, many threats, it's been very difficult to see how it would matter. But that's just me. I think my early firearm experiences in the army help with this: whether you're picking up an M16, a 203, a SAW, an M60, an M9, whatever? You're going to have to be prepared to fight with it. So, to me, it's no biggie.

That, and my initial impulse is to know my exits and seek cover. So.

Last edited:
For summer carry in shorts, I use a pocket gun, a Kahr PM9. If it is colder and I‘m not going to be taking off my jacket, Glock 19. For something in between, Glock 43x.

I shoot the 19 better than the 43x, but the thinner 43x is easier to conceal.

That’s what works for me, but you do you.
Pretty much the same. PM9 when i need deep concealment and Glock 19 otherwise. I have to admit to having some level of concern that under stress I may reach into my pocket when I should be reaching for IWB@4:30 or vice-versa. :(

Let's say for 30 years you carried and practiced with a gun where flipping the safety up disengages it. Then one day you switch to one where you need to flip it down to disengage the safety. Under stress, when you aren't thinking about it, it's just muscle memory, which way are you likely to flip that safety? How long would it take to unlearn 30 years of habit?

This is just an example, the exact position of the mag release, the slide release, even the trigger is different. And these differences probably won't matter at the range. But in a real stress situation your body behaves as its been trained, so if you trained to think about these things because the gun might be different, this will cost you critical time and make your actions less sure. But if your moves are certain, and there is no question of what is where or how it will behave, that gives you the ability to focus on other important things, like what is or isn't behind your target.

Anything that gives you surety under stress is a good thing.

How long will it take to relearn? Hard to say. But if it's been one way for decades, you're not unlearning it in a few weeks or months, maybe a few years.

Let's say for 30 years you carried and practiced with a gun where flipping the safety up disengages it. Then one day you switch to one where you need to flip it down to disengage the safety. Under stress, when you aren't thinking about it, it's just muscle memory, which way are you likely to flip that safety? How long would it take to unlearn 30 years of habit?

This is just an example, the exact position of the mag release, the slide release, even the trigger is different. And these differences probably won't matter at the range. But in a real stress situation your body behaves as its been trained, so if you trained to think about these things because the gun might be different, this will cost you critical time and make your actions less sure. But if your moves are certain, and there is no question of what is where or how it will behave, that gives you the ability to focus on other important things, like what is or isn't behind your target.

Anything that gives you surety under stress is a good thing.

How long will it take to relearn? Hard to say. But if it's been one way for decades, you're not unlearning it in a few weeks or months, maybe a few years.
Which is why my carry guns are all same platform. In my case - glocks.

G17/34/31 when concealment isn’t an issue; 43 or 43x when it is.

Same grip, same controls - same muscle memories

Personal choices are so much fun to shit on.

Really the only thing that matters is hits. Think of what the minimum, average, and maximum distances you would ever get in a fight at. Then decide what a reasonable level of accuracy is under stress at those ranges. There you have it, your spec envelope. If you can't shoot it to that standard, then it's no good for carry.

The training thing is a valid concern. There's some guns out there that have odd mag and slide releases, One of the things I don't really like about Glocks is that slide release. I always seem to miss it. Not a deal breaker if you train with it. Not a problem on the Sig. That can sometimes give me the opposite problem, that the slide doesn't lock back if my thumb touches it. Same thing, just gotta train.

One of the things I don't really like about Glocks is that slide release. I always seem to miss it. Not a deal breaker if you train with it.
I’ve installed the factory extended slide release on all my Glocks. In before the “it’s a slide stop not a slide release” comments…

Last edited:
Seecamp in the pocket always just because it’s so conveniently small. Sometimes it’s the PPK as I switched to the same action as the 92fs. No more P938 as I don’t like condition 1 in my pocket even though it has a firing pin block. No more 642 because the cylinder is too uncomfortable. I still have them. One of these days I’ll find a small 9 with SAO or same action as the PPK only with a slide lock that isn’t internal.

I have a lot of carry guns to choose from. All different triggers, sights, etc., from extremely heavy but smooth double action to DA/SA, striker and pre-cocked SAs. However, I shoot 300-500 rounds per week EVERY week and I practice heavily with ALL of them. When I practice, the most common drill I do is draw from concealment and fire a single shot using a random shot timer anywhere from 3-10 yards, including moving on the draw and seated positions. Sometimes I'll spend a whole box of ammo just repeatedly drilling on the first shot draw. Your first shot from a concealed draw is your most critical shot - the 14th round of the mag is the least likely (and yet most people are loading up mags, drawing and dumping every time they go to the range). I practice in all the clothing that I wear daily or to special occasions (going to the range in a suit is fun) including heavy coats and drawing from pockets if I'm pocket carrying in them. I know my average draw times and different split times (on same target, on moving from chest to head, moving to alternate targets, etc.) for each gun. I shoot in low light and with my EDC and nightstand flashlights. I stopped shooting matches a couple years ago and started focusing on competing against myself and making sure I'm working on being the best I can with the tools I have. And my time at the range has been much more interesting and rewarding.

If you "rotate" or choose from a variety of carry guns, you should be drilling on them very frequently.

And if you have one carry gun, you should be drilling on it very frequently.

Doesn't really matter if you carry one gun for years or many guns over the years. If you can't draw from concealment while seated, standing or moving and get a shot on target without missing, you might want to reconsider how capable you might be if you ever need to do it.

wouldn't it be better to find that one pistol that fits all needs and stay with that? learn that one gun so it's second nature and is an extension of your hand? i dunno, summer gun, winter gun, shorts gun, bathing suit gun, heavy clothes apple picking gun. i think the last 25 years i've carried only 2. a g26, then switched it out with a shield for 10 years. recently i'm back with the 26 because of hand strength issues trying to rack the shields slide. if i hade a stable of carry guns, how would i remember what the current one is? would i remember where the controls were without looking. the pistol i'd be using to protect my life, i'd want to be as familiar to me as humanly possible.
No.
I have two very different carry circumstances. Winter and Summer carry. I summer pocket carry a Kimber Micro 380 . Once I can wear colder weather loose fitting outerwear I OWB appendix carry a Beretta Nano 9mm . I shoot the Beretta a bit better and I prefer the OWB comfort, but my Beretta leaves a large print if I try to conceal under a summer Tee shirt so it's not a summer carry option.

Sw637 j-frame 90% of the time. If I can't sue to wardrobe requirements, a P3-AT.

I have a desire to replace that with a g43.

If anywhere that backpacks or bigger gear is an option, a G26 comes along for the adventure with spare mags.

I have multiple of the same carry setups

I have a macro that i carry every day another in the car with a spare mag and a third backup macro in case one needs to go back to sig... like that one is at now and I'll get a 4th for the wifes car

G17 all the time.

giphy.gif

I can understand carrying a few different size of the same style gun, like a faggot purse gun/subcompact/compact/full size glock, sig, m&p etc but i dont get guys that carry a 1911 on sunday, a 365 monday, a glock 36 wednesday etc.
This right here. I only learned this lesson this year as I actually got serious about shooting and realized that switching back and forth between a compact Glock and a subcompact Sig is a dumb idea. But yeah I'm replacing my P365 with a G43 for deep concealment right now; it's hard to beat having the same index across all of your defensive guns. Well, that and I'm completely over Sigs.

Back
Top Bottom