• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

i'm wondering why people need a rotation of carry guns

If you want to shoot well then yes, yes they are.
Maybe that’s true with a precision rifle but if it’s that big of an issue for you with a carry gun, prob should give it up & get a German shepherd, it’s not rocket science lol

Are guns really all that different that’s there’s much learning curve from 1 to the next though?
Under the stress of a life or death struggle is probably not the best time to try to remember whether you are carrying a 1911, which is down for off safe, or a S&W 3rd generation, which is up for off safe.

Whatever you are carrying, you should be able to handle it without conscious thought.

Last edited:
wouldn't it be better to find that one pistol that fits all needs and stay with that? learn that one gun so it's second nature and is an extension of your hand? i dunno, summer gun, winter gun, shorts gun, bathing suit gun, heavy clothes apple picking gun. i think the last 25 years i've carried only 2. a g26, then switched it out with a shield for 10 years. recently i'm back with the 26 because of hand strength issues trying to rack the shields slide. if i hade a stable of carry guns, how would i remember what the current one is? would i remember where the controls were without looking. the pistol i'd be using to protect my life, i'd want to be as familiar to me as humanly possible.
My rotation consists of about 4 handguns depending on what I am wearing on the day.

Remington R1 1911 Stainless - Sport Coat Chest Rig

Glock 20c - IWB or Chest Rig

S&W 659 - IWB or Chest Rig

Sig Legion 226 IWB or Chest Rig

all depends on what I am wearing and where I am going and if I think there is a chance I need 46 rounds.

Clearly Op has no sense of style. Sig 357 when I’m wearing my Bruno Magli’s and brown leather belt, They complement each other nicely. G43X because the front site matches my eyes and I want to make a statement. Walther Wednesdays of course. Golden desert eagle, hello it’s Saturday night! And after a long week I like to relax at home with a nice 340pd hammerless, glides in and out of The sweatpants or fuzzy slippers ankle holster easily while sitting around enjoying a nice mocha latte curled up on the couch Sunday morning.

Last edited:
I switch between two guns for carry. Summer I pocket carry a P3AT. Easy to throw in a pocket and out the door. I swap to a P365 IWB for the cold winter months as pocket carrying in jeans isn’t all that comfortable for me. I practice with both and they function basically the same.

A few years back I winter carried a Kimber Ultra Carry II 1911 but I just never could get used to carrying cocked and locked. I was always paranoid so I swapped to the 365.

cover1.jpg

Under the stress of a life or death struggle is probably not the best time to try to remember whether you are carrying a 1911, which is down for off safe, or a S&W 3rd generation, which is up for off safe.

Whatever you are carrying, you should be able to handle it without conscious thought.
Or a 226 style trigger decocked with an 11 pound da draw

Which is an entirely different feel and grip style than those guns

Clearly Op has no sense of style. Sig 357 when I’m wearing my Bruno Magli’s and brown leather belt, They complement each other nicely. G43X because the front site matches my eyes and I want to make a statement. Walther Wednesdays of course. Golden desert eagle, hello it’s Saturday night! And after a long week I like to relax at home with a nice 340pd hammerless, glides in and out of The sweatpants or fuzzy slippers ankle holster easily while sitting around enjoying a nice mocha latte curled up on couch Sunday morning.
I'm going to make walther Wednesdays a thing lol

Clearly Op has no sense of style. Sig 357 when I’m wearing my Bruno Magli’s and brown leather belt, They complement each other nicely. G43X because the front site matches my eyes and I want to make a statement. Walther Wednesdays of course. Golden desert eagle, hello it’s Saturday night! And after a long week I like to relax at home with a nice 340pd hammerless, glides in and out of The sweatpants or fuzzy slippers ankle holster easily while sitting around enjoying a nice mocha latte curled up on couch Sunday morning.
[/thread]

My rotation consists of about 4 handguns depending on what I am wearing on the day.

Remington R1 1911 Stainless - Sport Coat Chest Rig

Glock 20c - IWB or Chest Rig

S&W 659 - IWB or Chest Rig

Sig Legion 226 IWB or Chest Rig

all depends on what I am wearing and where I am going and if I think there is a chance I need 46 rounds.
When you're wearing all these chest rigs whats the appropriate amount of stern bush to show off?

I shot an "outlaw" match two weekends ago. Three shooting positions, with a specific array to be shot from each. Two paper arrays, four targets, two shots on each and one steel array, 6 pieces, steel must fall.

That's 22 shots. Standard load for other than IDPA for me is a 17 round mag with a Shield Arms 5 round extender; aka 23 rounds.

I shot the first paper array, moved to the steel and missed one shot. That's 15 rounds so far. I have 8 rounds left for the third paper array. On the third target of that array, I had a misfire. Slap, rack, fire. Finished that target, dropped the mag, (which had one round left in it), reloaded and dumped two quick shots into the last target.

With a malfunction and a reload - I still took second place on that stage. My friend Russ, (also shooting Carry Optic), beat me by 1.8 seconds. He and I are usually within couple of seconds on any given stage. If there's movement, he tends to beat me. He's easily 50 lbs lighter, (skinny little f***), and 30 years younger.

It's ALL muscle memory.

I'm going to the range this week to see if I can Barney load those mags. Because if so, I can get 24 rounds, which would have in that match meant not having to reload.

the point of my question was everyone seems to "train." do you train in your swim trunks with your beach carry gun? do you train in scrubs with your scrub carry gun? do you train in your suit with your business attire carry gun? do you train in your shorts/tee shirt with your summer gun? do you train with your bulky winter attire with gloves with your winter carry gun? i'm gonna guess of course not, but over the years of heard of all types of carry from people here. now how about someone like myself...i dress the same year round, long pants, long sleeve shirt. i dress the same in winter, i never wear a jacket. (not for anything else but i don't like wearing winter jackets) i use the same gun/iwb set up. holster sits same spot, behind right hip. 2 range trips a week generally and i work with that gun a minimum of 100 rounds every trip before i leave for 10+ years. thats muscle memory. i don't care what anyone else does, i do me. i was curious is all. you all do what you want to do. i want to know how do you keep scrub pants up with a gun attached to 'em. good trick!

as long as no one is shooting at you.
I’m getting so tired of these sorts of comments. Everyone who has ever been in a gunfight was, at one time, in THEIR FIRST GUNFIGHT. What helped them get through it? Training. Training which allowed them to handle their gun without thinking about it.

Since we are unable to actually get shot at while training, we have to do something to add stress to that training. Is the stress from a match the same as the stress from someone trying to kill you? No, of course not. But it is a lot more stress than standing still at a square range all by yourself (with no one watching) and shooting at a bullseye target.

The skills learned in action shooting — to be able to draw quickly, shoot quickly and accurately, reload quickly, and deal with malfunctions quickly, move between positions, all while under some stress — are good skills to have if you ever find yourself in a real gunfight.

I’m getting so tired of these sorts of comments. Everyone who has ever been in a gunfight was, at one time, in THEIR FIRST GUNFIGHT. What helped them get through it? Training. Training which allowed them to handle their gun without thinking about it.

Since we are unable to actually get shot at while training, we have to do something to add stress to that training. Is the stress from a match the same as the stress from someone trying to kill you? No, of course not. But it is a lot more stress than standing still at a square range all by yourself (with no one watching) and shooting at a bullseye target.

The skills learned in action shooting — to be able to draw quickly, shoot quickly and accurately, reload quickly, and deal with malfunctions quickly, all while under some stress — are good skills to have if you ever find yourself in a real gunfight.
it's a matter of familiarity, not how well you react under pressure. i've been shot at once in my life (non-military situation) and once you realize that your being fired on, you're not thinking about any training sessions or what place you came in at last weeks match. you want to get a gun into action without having to think. if you haven't had the experience you have no clue what's gonna pop into your head. my situation, the guy put 4 holes in my truck with me behind it and i was wishing he wouldn't shoot at the truck.

it's a matter of familiarity, not how well you react under pressure. i've been shot at once in my life (non-military situation) and once you realize that your being fired on, you're not thinking about any training sessions or what place you came in at last weeks match. you want to get a gun into action without having to think. if you haven't had the experience you have no clue what's gonna pop into your head. my situation, the guy put 4 holes in my truck with me behind it and i was wishing he wouldn't shoot at the truck.
Oh FFS.

Once again, what is the best way to test yourself for such a situation? Shooting on a square range, with no one watching you?

Or competing in a match, where you want to do well, where your pulse and blood pressure rises once the buzzer goes off? Where you need to shoot quickly and accurately? Where your run will be scored and your buddies will give you shit if you screw up?

YES, THE STRESS IN A GUNFIGHT IS MORE THAN THE STRESS IN A MATCH. But the stress in a match is more than just shooting by yourself in a square range.

WHAT IS THE BETTER WAY TO TEST YOUR ABILITY TO GET YOUR GUN INTO ACTION WITHOUT THINKING? AT A MATCH WHILE UNDER STRESS? OR AT A SQUARE RANGE WHILE UNDER NO STRESS?

WHAT IS BETTER: SOME STRESS OR NO STRESS?

Yes, I’m SHOUTING because I am so go damn sick and tired of this crap.

I rotate in the fall/winter to a full size because I like the round capacity, hard to hide a full size in shorts and a t-shirt, but I can pack a 92fs and a 17 round mag under a button down shirt and/or coat.

If my 365 (not xl) could magically hold 17 rounds of 9mm at the same size as the g43, I'd carry it year round. But alas, nobody's figured out how to make a tardis mag.

the point of my question was everyone seems to "train." do you train in your swim trunks with your beach carry gun? do you train in scrubs with your scrub carry gun? do you train in your suit with your business attire carry gun? do you train in your shorts/tee shirt with your summer gun? do you train with your bulky winter attire with gloves with your winter carry gun? i'm gonna guess of course not, but over the years of heard of all types of carry from people here. now how about someone like myself...i dress the same year round, long pants, long sleeve shirt. i dress the same in winter, i never wear a jacket. (not for anything else but i don't like wearing winter jackets) i use the same gun/iwb set up. holster sits same spot, behind right hip. 2 range trips a week generally and i work with that gun a minimum of 100 rounds every trip before i leave for 10+ years. thats muscle memory. i don't care what anyone else does, i do me. i was curious is all. you all do what you want to do. i want to know how do you keep scrub pants up with a gun attached to 'em. good trick!
Training.. eat a plate of nachos... bang the wife...tactical crocs to the range and just mag dump until the berm is no more and maybe the target

Oh FFS.

Once again, what is the best way to test yourself for such a situation? Shooting on a square range, with no one watching you?

Or competing in a match, where you want to do well, where your pulse and blood pressure rises once the buzzer goes off? Where you need to shoot quickly and accurately? Where your run will be scored and your buddies will give you shit if you screw up?

YES, THE STRESS IN A GUNFIGHT IS MORE THAN THE STRESS IN A MATCH. But the stress in a match is more than just shooting by yourself in a square range.

WHAT IS THE BETTER WAY TO TEST YOUR ABILITY TO GET YOUR GUN INTO ACTION WITHOUT THINKING? AT A MATCH WHILE UNDER STRESS? OR AT A SQUARE RANGE WHILE UNDER NO STRESS?

WHAT IS BETTER: SOME STRESS OR NO STRESS?

Yes, I’m SHOUTING because I am so go damn sick and tired of this crap.
Matches aren’t a substitute for training, but a good way to introduce some stress for sure. And since that’s what we’re discussing here, 100% agree.

Pick any local USPSA or IDPA match and let's go see how you do.
here's a better idea..... read the title, the topic is "carry guns" if you can't switch from 1 gun to another to shoot 10 feet then yup stick to 1 gun and only 1 gun for the rest of your life lol

Back
Top Bottom