• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I'm in a self made quandry...Python or Springfield M1A Match

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
I have this mid 80’s Colt Python, nickel, 6” barrel and if it has been shot 500 times, I’d be surprised. The loads shot out of it were almost all 38 special loads.

It was willed to me from an old friend but to be honest, I almost never shoot it. I don’t carry it (except when my daughters brought their new boyfriends over to meet me [smile]) as it’s too big so it sits in my safe, rarely used. I don’t have the original box etc…I’m guessing its value today to be around $2000ish perhaps a bit more. It doesn’t hold a lot of sentimental value for me.

All this to say that for about 10 years I have really wanted a Springfield M1a Match grade rifle and the prices that they are at now it would be almost a wash to sell the Python and buy an M1a.

Am I nuts for wanting to do this? I will never be able to afford an M1a without selling something of equal value.
I am really torn on this. I want both but know I will never own both.

Is your feeling that the Colt will only go up in value and a Springfield, not so much?

If someone placed a new Springfield M1A Match in my hands and said it’s yours for your Python, I would probably fold up like a two dollar suitcase….

Gak! [thinking]

Sell something else - they don't and won't make Pythons any more. Just because you don't carry a pistol doesn't mean you should get rid of it. I bought a M1A and I was a little underwhelmed. It handled like a plank and the accessory market is beaucoup money.

You can always get an M1A, the Python, not so much. On the other hand, get what you want. If the Python doesn't see much use and is a safe queen, and holds no sentimental value to you, why not?

Hi Timbo, I'm in a similar boat, I have a 6" nickel Python sitting in my safe, in similar condition. I think the value is closer to 3K than 2 (IMO) but it's whatever the market bears as they say. I've been debating selling it for like 2 years now! I say go with what makes you happy to shoot and own. Who knows about the Python, IMO they're overvalued right now, but that's not to say they won't continue to be, they are in very high demand.

Good luck with your decision!

-chris

I don't think that swapping the python for an M1A would be a fair trade,, u can usually find M1A for a lot cheaper than the value of the python. Go check prices at a gun show or two, or gunbroker.

If an old friend willed me a gun, it would stay with me until I willed it to someone else.

Yeah...I think you're right Rob. In retrospect, I'll probably hang onto it and pass it on to one of my grandkids someday. If I want the Springfield bad enough, I'll find a way to own it. I have a good friend in Arizona that owns a whole safe full of M1A's...perhaps I could talk him out of one. He used to shoot rifle on the Nat'l Guard team out there but I don't think he does any longer.

Thanks all for your insights folks...I was running this past my wife last night and she basically said to ask my compadres on my "gun forum". [grin]

Last edited:
If an old friend willed me a gun, it would stay with me until I willed it to someone else.

THIS, exactly.

The M1A is a commodity, a bequeathed rare firearm, not so much.

My kids already bicker over which of them are 'getting' my oldest only-owner rifles, and the Garand I bought. My intentions are that as old and crappy as they are, they will be in a trust, to protect them from bad decisions of the heart.

However, if it wasn't willed to you with any stipulations, do what you want.

Always trade up - not down. That Python will just continue to appreciate. The m1a won't, or at least not nearly as much. My best advice would be to sell 4 $500 guns if you need 2k

If you really want an M14/M1A - then work your way up to it.

You can probably build a better M14/M1A than what Springfield makes by sourcing out higher quality parts.

LRB makes some nice stuff - as does Fulton Armory. Going to cost more than Springfield Armory for a fully assembled rifle - but starting with a good receiver and sourcing out the individual parts yourself might get you a pretty nice rifle for less money.

http://www.lrbarms.com/standardm14rifles.html

http://www.lrbarms.com/m14receiversactions.html

If you really want an M14/M1A - then work your way up to it.

You can probably build a better M14/M1A than what Springfield makes by sourcing out higher quality parts.

LRB makes some nice stuff - as does Fulton Armory. Going to cost more than Springfield Armory for a fully assembled rifle - but starting with a good receiver and sourcing out the individual parts yourself might get you a pretty nice rifle for less money.

http://www.lrbarms.com/standardm14rifles.html

http://www.lrbarms.com/m14receiversactions.html

Don't forget James River Armory Rock-ola M14F.

I'll give you a different perspective. If money was no object, then you wouldn't be in your quandary. Other than Bill Gates and a handful of others, this is true for most of us. So your choice is to sit around not shooting a gun that you seem indifferent to (including from a sentimental perspective) or selling/trading it and getting something you do want to shoot. The problem with asking others is that they are projecting their likes/dislikes on to your situation. In their defense, you asked them to do that. But other people's likes/dislikes may not ultimately translate into your likes/dislikes. So, sure, you might regret selling the Python a few years from now. But you also are foregoing the opportunity to free up buying other guns that will bring you greater pleasure in that period and, like most of us, you cannot afford to have both. Might the value of Pythons continue to increase in the future? Probably, due to scarcity value. But as is the case with most guns, you can always find them and get them if you really want to. Personally, there are guns I wish I still had if money was no object, but truthfully I have not one ounce of regret because I used the funds to purchase other guns that I like a lot better and get much more pleasure out of. There are collectors and their are shooters. I am the latter b/c I'm not into fondling a gun once a year that just sits in a safe. But I certainly don't begrudge anyone who is into the fondling thing. [smile]

I'm thinking in the 10 years you've wanted that m1a, you could have saved up little by little and already have one now. It's not too late scrimp and save and be patient and you'll have it. Don't sell the Python, if for no other reason thanreapexting your friends wish of wanting youto have it .

Ive fired an m1a a couple times and was also underwhelmed. They will never make the python again. M1a will be made for a long time. Dont be the guy that 10 years from now wishes he had never sold his python. Ive heard way too many guys with sellers remorse over a python sale.

Ive fired an m1a a couple times and was also underwhelmed. They will never make the python again. M1a will be made for a long time. Dont be the guy that 10 years from now wishes he had never sold his python. Ive heard way too many guys with sellers remorse over a python sale.
Keep the Python, get a Colt 1911 and a Colt woodsman. When grandkids come along, the big thrill will come when you pass them on. I couldn't wait and gave the Woodsman to my grandson, Little Jack When he turned 9. Jack.

Used M1A's can be had for a lot less than 2 grand. Not sure about a national match, but as a baseline my SOCOM 16 I paid $1300.

Look at it another way - the Python will appreciate in value, the M1A won't.

Keep the Python, get a Colt 1911 and a Colt woodsman. When grandkids come along, the big thrill will come when you pass them on. I couldn't wait and gave the Woodsman to my grandson, Little Jack When he turned 9. Jack.

Thanks Jack...I do have a Colt 1911 Combat Elite I bought in the 80's. I don't have a Woodsman but used to have a Colt Ace, one gun I have forever regretted selling but I needed to sell it to help pay for a new furnace for my house. I do have a Ruger 22/45 that will most likely end up in the hands of one of my grandkids someday. Not a Woodsman but a great little pistol, none the less. I still have my Marlin Model 25 .22 rifle my dad let me buy when I was 14, over 46 years ago. I worked a whole summer selling worms and nightcrawlers to fisherman to earn that gun. I will probably pass that on to my oldest grandson when he turns 14 in 4 years.

Thanks Jack...I do have a Colt 1911 Combat Elite I bought in the 80's. I don't have a Woodsman but used to have a Colt Ace, one gun I have forever regretted selling but I needed to sell it to help pay for a new furnace for my house. I do have a Ruger 22/45 that will most likely end up in the hands of one of my grandkids someday. Not a Woodsman but a great little pistol, none the less. I still have my Marlin Model 25 .22 rifle my dad let me buy when I was 14, over 46 years ago. I worked a whole summer selling worms and nightcrawlers to fisherman to earn that gun. I will probably pass that on to my oldest grandson when he turns 14 in 4 years.
Way to go! Jack.

If you had $2000 cash would you buy a Python? If so, keep it. If not, sell it and buy the M1A

I have this mid 80’s Colt Python, nickel, 6” barrel and if it has been shot 500 times, I’d be surprised. The loads shot out of it were almost all 38 special loads.

I'm in the camp of not selling it... Esp if it was willed to you by a friend. People who own Pythons consider them special. Special enough to will them to good friends. You may never see that level of workmanship in a revolver again.

Have you bought a box of good .357 and fired it from the Python? That's where it shows its true colors. Firing .38 specials from it is very blahhhh... I own a '63 6" Python. Shot it a lot way back in the 80's then put it away. Now that I'm back to shooting, after trying all the other modern pistols, I've realized how special the Python is. A Python isn't for everyone, but it really is a special revolver and there are so many people who would love to have yours and shoot it. Maybe give it another try with a box of Federal 125gr.

My Python and Diamondback came from a very close friend. He knew that I would cherish them and I do. They sit in my safe and get a light coating of oil often. Haven't shot them from way back in the early 80's when he got me into shooting. I don't think he sent many more rounds down the barrel since then. Our deal was if he wants them back he gets them for the same very short money.

I will be at room temperature when I no longer own them.

I'm in the camp of not selling it... Esp if it was willed to you by a friend. People who own Pythons consider them special. Special enough to will them to good friends. You may never see that level of workmanship in a revolver again.

Have you bought a box of good .357 and fired it from the Python? That's where it shows its true colors. Firing .38 specials from it is very blahhhh... I own a '63 6" Python. Shot it a lot way back in the 80's then put it away. Now that I'm back to shooting, after trying all the other modern pistols, I've realized how special the Python is. A Python isn't for everyone, but it really is a special revolver and there are so many people who would love to have yours and shoot it. Maybe give it another try with a box of Federal 125gr.

I was thinking something similar - if you don't shoot the Python often, why not take it out more? A 6" .357 Magnum would probably be fine for deer and as a backup for pigs. Definitely fine for coyote hunting.

Thanks guys....I did some soul searching today while doing some mindless tasks and decided that the friend I had that I got this from means more to me than an M1A...Would he be hurt that I sold/traded it? Maybe/maybe not....he did a ton of wheeling and dealing in his day too.

I had no idea what the lure of a Python was when we were out shooting one day and I happened to mention to him what a beautiful revolver it was...it just looked cool. It wasn't until I got a call from his widow in 1999, a few months after he passed, stating that he had wanted me to have it. I was honored that he wanted to give it to me ( he had two sons) but it wasn't until after I picked it up that I started looking into what I had become the owner of. Of course, the value has tripled or more since I got it.

So, I think I'll keep it. It is a beautiful piece of work and I do love finely tuned machines....

I asked both of my daughters if something happened to me would they wanted a gun to remember me. My oldest piped up and said "The Python is mine" pretty smart kid

Back
Top Bottom