I'm in a self made quandry...Python or Springfield M1A Match

Good choice.
My Python was my Fathers and of all the guns of his I own , that's the one I would never part with.
I look at it as a piece of art.
They won't ever make them like that again.

Thanks guys....I did some soul searching today while doing some mindless tasks and decided that the friend I had that I got this from means more to me than an M1A...Would he be hurt that I sold/traded it? Maybe/maybe not....he did a ton of wheeling and dealing in his day too.

I had no idea what the lure of a Python was when we were out shooting one day and I happened to mention to him what a beautiful revolver it was...it just looked cool. It wasn't until I got a call from his widow in 1999, a few months after he passed, stating that he had wanted me to have it. I was honored that he wanted to give it to me ( he had two sons) but it wasn't until after I picked it up that I started looking into what I had become the owner of. Of course, the value has tripled or more since I got it.

So, I think I'll keep it. It is a beautiful piece of work and I do love finely tuned machines....

You need to start asking for M14 parts on birthdays and Christmas.

Save your money. It's a good rifle, not great. The python, I would keep and will it to my kids. The M!A can be found for a lot less, keep looking and you might find a deal.

I got into guns due to inheriting a handful from my father when he passed. Some of them I've sold because I either didn't like them or wasn't going to shoot them. The one I will never sell is the Python though. That's the heirloom piece being passed down eventually.

Just my opinion, but I think that snake guns have topped out. I'm not really sure WHY they skyrocketed in value (except for The Walking Dead), but my guess is they will start dropping in value a bit, and probably level off somewhere in line with collectible Smith revolvers. I would say, buy the gun that your going to get more use out of. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Spend some time shooting a Springfield M1a then let me know how much you love it?
Now if you said you where going to get a full blown National Match from LRB or Fulton and go out to perry I might consider the sale of the Python.
In a nut shell....I would not trade or sell a nice pistol like a Python for a POS SAI M1a.

You must have other guns you don't shoot to pawn off?

Also consider the cost of shooting the M1a. It might be shot less than that python? I know a few folks with M1a and they put like 20 rounds a year through them.

Spend some time shooting a Springfield M1a then let me know how much you love it?
Now if you said you where going to get a full blown National Match from LRB or Fulton and go out to perry I might consider the sale of the Python.
In a nut shell....I would not trade or sell a nice pistol like a Python for a POS SAI M1a.

Also consider the cost of shooting the M1a. It might be shot less than that python? I know a few folks with M1a and they put like 20 rounds a year through them.

Shooting 7.62x51 isn't very expensive if you use cheap ammo, just like .223 or 7.62x54r or 7.62x39 or 12 gauge. Buying boxes of hunting or target grade .308 will set you back. However to really get accuracy out of a M1A or any rifle, he would need to reload for the rifle. Bullet weights between 125gr and 174gr I think (look this up - been a year for me) and IMR4895 is the place to start.

I think the reasoning behind keeping the Python as an inheritance from a friend has been well covered. I agree it should be kept and willed to family or friend.

That said, even if something is more valuable or more collectible- if it's not your cup of tea then by all means sell! I sold a pre-ban Hbar Colt, not knowing I would eventually move to the PRM, yet I still don't regret selling it.

I never really understood the love for pythons, but whatever floats your boat. If it was to be sold, now is the time because they are seriously overvalued right now.

The "left to me by a friend" throws a wrench into it though.

Just my opinion, but I think that snake guns have topped out. I'm not really sure WHY they skyrocketed in value (except for The Walking Dead), but my guess is they will start dropping in value a bit, and probably level off somewhere in line with collectible Smith revolvers. I would say, buy the gun that your going to get more use out of. Just my opinion.

have you checked pre-lock S&W prices lately?

there seems to be a resurgence of interest in good revolvers vs. polymer guns - kind of like there is in vinyl records vs. CD's...

That's another point to consider. What do you want the M1A for? Just because you think it's "cool" ? That's why I bought mine. It was the first "big" rifle I got. Bought it before I got an AR. Then I took it to an Appleseed and it beat the hell out of me. For the next Appleseed I built an AR - and liked shooting that a lot better.

In Boston's Gun Bible he put the M1A/M14 up against the FAL - and chose the M14 over the FAL as the battle rifle of choice for when the balloon goes up - but it was a slim margin. And at this point in the game - there a whole bunch more .308 options out there for rifles than there was back then. If you're looking for a SHTF rifle - you might be better off with an AR in .308 than the M1A. And you could build it from parts and get into a rifle for a lot less than any of the M1A / M14 options.

If you've got a M1A boner my suggestion would be to find out if you can rent one somewhere - or offer to pay for ammo if somebody will let you shoot theirs - and spend some time with it. Manchester Firing Line might rent them. Spend some time with the rifle and find out if the boner goes down before you spend the money.

Pythons are forever. Put aside 25.00 a week in a savings account ( give up coffee at Dunks and brown bag your lunch) when you have the money, buy your M1a. Once your Python is gone, it is gone forever. These are not mere guns, these are cultural icons to be passed on to the truly deserving.

happy today or make your heirs happy down the road, that python will appreciate in value.

I'm a huge M14 fan. I have 4 of them so far all configured differently. With that I say, Keep the Python.

You can always get a new or used M14 type or build one yourself.

Bula Forge is making more and more new M14 parts. They make the receivers and bolts for James River and they're excellent parts. There is also a new player... Gun Works of Lower Alabama making a very high quality M14 receiver and, of course, there is LRB.

Springfield would would be on the bottom of my list for a new M14 type.

I am in a similar situation. I have a beautiful older Python in the safe and rarely shoot it. I considered selling it to help fund the new "giggle-gun" but I know that I could never replace it, so it is staying with me. [smile]

I'm a huge M14 fan. I have 4 of them so far all configured differently. With that I say, Keep the Python.

You can always get a new or used M14 type or build one yourself.

Bula Forge is making more and more new M14 parts. They make the receivers and bolts for James River and they're excellent parts. There is also a new player... Gun Works of Lower Alabama making a very high quality M14 receiver and, of course, there is LRB.

Springfield would would be on the bottom of my list for a new M14 type.

Thanks for posting this. I haven't updated my M14 knowledge in a couple of years. I didn't realize there were new players out there making new parts.

Back
Top Bottom