• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I was outted today. I feel weird.

Jesse has a good point - here in MA all it takes is the perception of a threat to cause a world of hurt. Very few cops will bet their careers on accepting the LTC holder's claim the complaintant is lying or mistaken. Police have their own version of of "killem all and let god sort em out" - "just make the arrest and let the court figure out who is telling the truth".

Some people are so afraid of guns, they can actually imagine they are threatened if they see a holstered handgun. This can result in a "perception" of a threat, going so far as to imagine steps went beyond what actually happened (accidental display becomes an intentional threat and attempt to intimidate, hand on the gun becomes drawing the weapon, etc.). The most credible form of inaccurate eye witness testimony is that which is honestly believed to be the truth by the person telling the tale (as countless cases of persons convicted by compelling eyewitness testimony, only to be later exonerated by DNA analysis demonstrates). So, the gun owner not only has the risk of someone willing to file a false report, but the risk that they will be on the wrong end of an unfortunate failure to communicate.

Shoot someone's dog that is worrying you or your livestock? No problem - covered by MGL. Dog owner perceives, or alleges, that you threatened them with a gun while shooting their dog - plea bargain or felony trial.

If the other party doesn't know you are armed, the chances of that person alleging you threatened him/her with a firearm are greatly reduced [smile]

To follow up on Rob's point, probable cause is such a low standard of proof that if the responding officers determine the "victim's" statements are credible, then cuffed and stuffed you go. Scary stuff.

Some one liners to keep in your repertoire:

If someone bumps into you and asks: Is that a gun?

- No, it's a colostomy bag. (not recommended if the party is someone you are trying to bed)

If someone asks if you are carrying:

- Sir, asking that question is about as polite as asking a woman her weight or age (thanks to Chris Tavares for this one)

- I will not discuss my security procedures with you

- If asked while in someone's business: Really - how would you feel if I came in here and started asking you all sorts of questions about your security precautions?

- No, it's a colostomy bag. (not recommended if the party is someone you are trying to bed)

- Sir, asking that question is about as polite as asking a woman her weight or age (thanks to Chris Tavares for this one)

- If asked while in someone's business: Really - how would you feel if I came in here and started asking you all sorts of questions about your security precautions?

Not only do I use the Colostomy bag but I then say "want to see it, Its only leaking a little, Do you have safety glasses in case it squirts? " By then they are in yelling distance.

For those looking for a concealed carry holster for your tactical tomahawk, I hear there is a new company out there making the half-breed super tuck

Liz Warren is going to be on the license board for all CCT permits.

My answer is "No".

For those looking for a concealed carry holster for your tactical tomahawk, I hear there is a new company out there making the half-breed super tuck

Is that a tomahawk in your pocket or did you just poop your pants. (if carried small of back)

- - - Updated - - -

Re if I'm asked if I'm carrying, I just say "Are you crazy??"

And leave it at that

Since attorneys never lie, I assume this means you don't carry [smile]

Without getting into the morality and ethics of lawyers (no offense, Jesse!), outside of a courtroom under oath people don't generally have a "duty" to tell the truth and if the lie is in answer to something the asker has no right to know, even more so. Hell, the police can lie to suspects to trick them into talking.

I had a crank caller a couple years ago that claimed to be Lt something or other with the local PD and that they were coming to arrest me. The real police were completely uninterested and stated that: "It isn't illegal to claim to be a police officer." While that seemed to me an odd position for them to take, that's what they said.

If THAT is legal, answering No to a dumbass question certainly isn't out of line [laugh]

I am still having a visual of this dolt with a hatchet near his bed.

I can see it now, wife wakes up, hears something in the kitchen, the rooms are dark, she hears what she thinks is an intruder walking towards her. She, being a woman , launches this hatchet at the perps crotch, he drops to the floor genitals barely hanging on....her reply. Sorry honey, but don't worry about our sex life I will be OK if we don't have sex again.......... I have been doing the neighbor anyway so Im good.

God only in this state.

Without getting into the morality and ethics of lawyers (no offense, Jesse!), outside of a courtroom under oath people don't generally have a "duty" to tell the truth and if the lie is in answer to something the asker has no right to know, even more so

Yeah, I know - but the setup was irresistable [smile]

- No, it's a colostomy bag. (not recommended if the party is someone you are trying to bed)?

On the topic of "someone you are trying to bed", when she ultimately does find out what the concealed object is, 9 times out of 10 it is a major turn on. (I'm talking about the firearm).

To follow up on Rob's point, probable cause is such a low standard of proof that if the responding officers determine the "victim's" statements are credible, then cuffed and stuffed you go. Scary stuff.

Yeah, but I doubt this has happened more than a handful of times, if ever.

On the topic of "someone you are trying to bed", when she ultimately does find out what the concealed object is, 9 times out of 10 it is a major turn on. (I'm talking about the firearm).
In this case, I would certainly hope it is the gun you are taking about.

Thousands each day.
Indeed. It's just "he said / she said" - the accused gets cuffed and stuffed, while the "victim" gets to ride in the back of the other car. They take the statements at the station. That's 'cause the police want some corroborating evidence, and the accused might just spout it out for them in an interview room. AND, while I was taught that one person's word on its own is, as a matter of law, insufficient to overcome the "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard without some corroborating evidence, sometimes the judges let it ride anyhow and you get a conviction on nothing more than one person's say-so (esp. if your lawyer stinks). This stuff is real, folks, even in free states.

And to clarify, I was talking about all types of these arrests not just specific to firearms each day in the US.

God it must be a slow day for lawyers . I have never seen so many posts by an attorney. Jesse go to the range, get some fresh air[wink]

I've had several cases where neighbors allege gun owner threatened them with firearm by pointing muzzel at them from a distance. This happens usually in my experience when there is a property dispute/litigation, racial tension, jealousy that neighbor is far wealthier, noise complaints, sexual orientation animosity, etc etc etc......

True. I am constantly calling in noise complaints after the place gets flushed and raided. A month ago someone shot himself in the leg and then had his friend dump the weapon up the street. The police are well aware of this residence. You are quite correct that I should be more careful at least until I relocate to NH. Where I do not constantly have to witness drug deals next door and the same people walking up and down the street servicing these drug customers.

Last edited:
God it must be a slow day for lawyers . I have never seen so many posts by an attorney. Jesse go to the range, get some fresh air[wink]

I am out in the fresh air! That's the beauty of iPhones and iPads! Thanks for looking out for me! Going to the Celts game tonight so it's all good. No worries. The reason why you don't see any other lawyers posting as much as me is that Scrivener is gone. The mighty Scrivener. Loved by many, feared by all.

I am out in the fresh air! That's the beauty of iPhones and iPads! Thanks for looking out for me! Going to the Celts game tonight so it's all good. No worries. The reason why you don't see any other lawyers posting as much as me is that Scrivener is gone. The mighty Scrivener. Loved by many, feared by all.

Have a great time at the game!

The point to worry about in Massachusetts isn't being prosecuted -- you can legally OC anywhere you can legally carry concealed.

The problem is that, legal or not, you're subject to getting your LTC yanked for "suitability".

What a BS system you have in that state. [thinking]

The point to worry about in Massachusetts isn't being prosecuted -- you can legally OC anywhere you can legally carry concealed.

The problem is that, legal or not, you're subject to getting your LTC yanked for "suitability".

What a BS system you have in that state. [thinking]

I think its time to find someone that doesn't really care about ever having a gun license, that lives in a green town, to legally get their LTC-A:ALP and then open carry everywhere and see what happens.

This way if they lose it, they won't care and we will have our case.

Back
Top Bottom