• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I was outted today. I feel weird.

I make it a point not to say anything to someone when I see them attempting to Conceal carry, especially when they fail.

But it's probably not be in their best interest, our ours. Someone not so understanding might be the next to notice, and cause them a lot of grief, and a lot of bad press in general. With a word and a tuck it could all be avoided. If they are intending to CC, I'd think it a curtesy to let them know they aren't.

It's a rough time when someone's browser malfunction is the best laugh I've had all day.

[rofl][laugh2][laugh] When I saw that I thought it may be some kind of morse code. Or something else...[wink]

To the OP, so what? It's no big deal, I wouldn't worry about it.

On the other hand, I have a neighbor from Holland that would never consider owning a gun because he says he can never imagine a circumstance where he could take another life[rolleyes]

Here's my standard response to those people:

If it comes down to killing an evil man to save your own life, you owe it to humanity to be the one that prevails. Otherwise the evil man lives on to probably kill another innocent. If you don't at least try, you are a coward and a sociopath. And Dutch.

If it comes down to killing an evil man to save your own life, you owe it to humanity to be the one that prevails. Otherwise the evil man lives on to probably kill another innocent. If you don't at least try, you are a coward and a sociopath. And Dutch.

Definitely. If that can't make them rethink, then, write them off. Seriously, is there really NO circumstance in which he can see himself acting? No? Ok, fine, he's a Panzer highway and useless when things go ugly. If someone can't even visualize themselves acting in such circumstances, they are probably that much more likely to freeze under the stress anyhow.

Last edited by a moderator:
The guy's probably never had the opportunity to go shooting and has had no real world training or experience dealing with a drug-crazed intruder. At least he thinks defending himself with a weapon is the right thing to do. Take him to the range. You could have a new shooting buddy. <---can't hurt to ask, definitely

On the other hand, I have a neighbor from Holland that would never consider owning a gun because he says he can never imagine a circumstance where he could take another life[rolleyes]
Hmm, I can't really knock your neighbor, unfortunately. If the mindset is unable to wrap itself around the idea of lethal defense, no training or discussion is going to change that. Some of my family abhors the fact that I even have guns, calling me a Ted Nugent wannabe, baby-killer. They're from NYC and Sunnyvale, California, before you ask, so Brady Bunch and Joyce Foundation ideas are deeply implanted....they're lost

Anyone who works for a living works for the gov't!! [rolleyes]
Ah, but those who actually include .gov facilities and groups (military bases, MSP barracks, local PDs) as your customer base, wouldn't that give a little more credence to that statement "I work for the government" [wink]

Next time, keep that carry .22 tucked away properly...
I don't care if it's a .22 or a 50BMG, a hole in the heart is a hole, 75 seconds later you're dead, so this is one example where size really doesn't matter.....

I wouldn't worry about it. In fact, I don't worry about it. Carrying a gun should make you worry less, not more.
Mike
100%

Definitely. If that can't make them rethink, then, write them off. Seriously, is there really NO circumstance in which he can see himself acting? No? Ok, fine, he's a Panzer highway and useless when things go ugly. If someone can't even visualize themselves acting in such circumstances, they are probably that much more likely to freeze under the stress anyhow.
That's the kicker right there. The fear will overcome any self-defense, fight-or-flight response mode in people like this. Any psychologists on that can give us a quick Fear Reactions for Dummies quip?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338517231.142513.jpg

Tactihatchet. What a geek.

Sent from my iPhone in the secret lair of the Supreme ruler of the ozone layer, the Dark Lord Kramdar.

Bahaha!
My boss is a 65 year old dutch guy, and I have told him a few times that I am a gun owner.
His philosophy is "if anyone invades our country, I would be the first to the gun store" and "if our neighbors had their houses broken into, then I would own a gun"
This guy was in the Dutch Air Force back in the day as a range officer... yet shuns me for being a gun owner hahaha

A couple of weeks ago while pumping gas I saw a guy using a fobus paddle holster. He had shorts and a t-shirt on, no belt. The t-shirt only covered half way down the fobus holster as if he could care less. Looked like he was going to the beach. I just kept to myself and said nothing to him.

He must be from CT.

Sounds like me, except for when I "casual carry" I make a point of using a retention holster. Its a way to kindof ease into OCing, which I find a bit showy.

Casual carry allows you to more comfortably carry more gun, and 99% of all people never notice. I've carried a compensated Glock 34 in shorts and a T shirt in an OWB thumb break holster. about 2 inches of slice plus the comp hang below my shirt.

I've spent an entire morning with my daughters like this and nobody has ever looked twice at me. People go around in the fog 99% of the time.

Of course, now that I'm also a MA resident , there won't be any of that in the commonwealth. 100% concealed is how I will fly in MA.

Last edited:

I think that's going to be part of the criteria in the next DSM.

I keep a baseball bat, machete, and my grandfather's civil defense night stick next to my bed. I have a bottle of advil, flonase, and a 9mm Beretta there too. I figure it'd show great restraint to use the bat, machete, and nightstick before the beretta. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!

Great idea! That way, if there are three intruders, you have something to place in the dead hands of each![laugh]

- - - Updated - - -

Wonder if lizzie warren sleeps with a tomahawk.. [laugh]

Yeah, but she doesn't use the sharp end! Whoops![laugh]

Although I can't carry (damn restrictions) I was outed at work as the guy who owns guns. At first I was thinking "ah crap here we go" but then I got a lot of just general questions. Instead of being quiet about it I would talk to anyone who brought it up. The responsibility it entails, laws, going with the family or gf, how guns work, different calibers, whatever they wanted to know. As a result there are at least 4 people here who now want to go. My boss even brought up having a department outing (no pun intended) at the range which would be awesome. Just need to get a time they want to go and the OK from the range.

MGL Ch 140 Section 129c (U)

Any person who, while not being within the limits of his own property or residence, or such person whose property or residence is under lawful search, and who is not exempt under this section, shall on demand of a police officer or other law enforcement officer, exhibit his license to carry firearms, or his firearm identification card or receipt for fee paid for such card, or, after January first, nineteen hundred and seventy, exhibit a valid hunting license issued to him which shall bear the number officially inscribed of such license to carry or card if any.

Correct me if Im wrong, but I take this to mean that if he called the cops on you, and they demanded to see your license, you could just tell them to screw.

Although I can't carry (damn restrictions) I was outed at work as the guy who owns guns. At first I was thinking "ah crap here we go" but then I got a lot of just general questions. Instead of being quiet about it I would talk to anyone who brought it up. The responsibility it entails, laws, going with the family or gf, how guns work, different calibers, whatever they wanted to know. As a result there are at least 4 people here who now want to go. My boss even brought up having a department outing (no pun intended) at the range which would be awesome. Just need to get a time they want to go and the OK from the range.

I work in a hospital, where carrying on property is prohibited by policy. I'm sure there is a Doc or two that do, but I can't make it work wearing scrubs, and a single "wardrobe malfunction" would mean termination on the spot. I make no secret that I carry outside work, and have had conversations with security about securing my firearm if I get "called in" while out. So far, I have had no issues, and have actually taken several coworkers to the range.

Seems to me that our best weapon in the fight for legitimacy is education. De-demonizing guns and holding ourselves up as positive examples against the tripe spewed by "anti's" is the only way things will get better. Seriously, can anybody tell me that it's not the height of hypocrisy as a 2a supporter to rage here, yet remain silent when a colleague demonstrates their lack of knowledge?

I love these threads. Stop apologizing for carrying a firearm and acting like a shunned leper.

Really. Grow a pair. [rolleyes]

Up here if someone happens to get peek (or an eyefull) of someone's sidearm it usually ends up in a conversation about holster's, handguns, caliber's or sportsman's clubs.

Back
Top Bottom