I need some advice on OWB carry...

These belts are awesome. I have two and they are the only belts I use. Very tough and durable and provide all the support you will need.

While working plainclothes assignments over the years and in the summer, I’d have an OWB holster carrying a 1911, 2 spare mags, a police radio and a set of cuffs all stuffed into or onto my waistband wearing only a
t-shirt or a flannel unbuttoned over that.
So, you weren't happy to see me?

:(

@timbo

I know a lot of jokes have already been thrown around. You're a good sport 👍.

Most ideas have been already thrown out there.

There are other "off body carry" options other than fanny packs. Chest rigs, drop-leg holsters, and shoulder holsters seem the most logical.

I just ordered a rig from www.craftholsters.com for my TRR8.

THANKS for starting the thread. Great input from NES, as always. Looks like I'll be looking for a ratcheting belt in the near future.

There are other "off body carry" options other than fanny packs. Chest rigs, drop-leg holsters, and shoulder holsters seem the most logical.
Now that you mention it...
83wIJ-1473707885-5666-list_items-wwwest_introanimation.gif

@timbo

I know a lot of jokes have already been thrown around. You're a good sport 👍.

Most ideas have been already thrown out there.

I just ordered a rig from www.craftholsters.com for my TRR8.

THANKS for starting the thread. Great input from NES, as always. Looks like I'll be looking for a ratcheting belt in the near future.
It's all in fun...I knew when I started this thread what I was asking for...LOL.

I've always said if you can't take a razzing from time to time, you're not having fun. The .mil taught me not to take life so seriously.

My solution is to carry my P229 OWB with a Hanks Montana Double Bison Belt and a Wright Leather Works Corbra Hybrid holster. This is a very stiff combination so I don’t have to crank the belt too tight. When I need more concealment I switch to a Shield IWB on a Hanks Gunner belt and in a Black Arch Single Clip Protos-M. When I go deep I switch to pocket carry of a Ruger LCR in a Desantis The Nemesis Pocket Holster. I’ve found the important thing is to have paints sized so that you don’t need the belt to hold them up. Then you just have to worry about the belt holding the gun up. This is particularly true for OWB, since for IWB you might have to make allowance for the gun inside the waistband.

Holster shirt? I wear one sometimes with my Shield. Not the quickest access but very concealable. I also get hip/back pain when I carry IWB or OWB, unless I go with suspenders, holster shirt, or shoulder holster. I can also carry SOB without pain but I don't do that, just did it to see if it was the same as far as pain goes. Maybe ASOB?

I’m 5’11” around 170lbs, no ass. Only way I can comfortably carry IWB that I’ve found is appendix, other then that it put to much pressure on my hips and hurt my lower back. Usually wearing a hanks belt. I can carry OWB without issue using the same belt.

I switch between a Glock 30 or 43 typically, I’ve found that proper fitting pants helps a lot, I’m a 30” waist and usually grab 31” pants, they fit just slightly loose without a holster and gun so once I add that they are perfect, only really need the belt so that the holster doesn’t pull out if a ever draw my pistol.

I’d say if you haven’t tried AIWB give it a shot, I know you mentioned a bit of a gut but without knowing what a “bit” is it may work for you. I know a couple guys with a healthy gut but proper belt, pants holster gun combo and they can carry comfortably AIWB

A couple of ideas and all speaking from experience. :) The pain may also be related to some developing arthritis. You may consider IWB carrying at 4:00 or 5:00. Moving the weight (the belt, holster and firearm) closer to the body and away from the hip may provide some relief. Regarding exercise, squats, leg extensions and leg curls all help.

Do some squats and build up an ass! Have you tried IWB? That actually makes your pants a little more snug and keeps them up.
I think this is the best advice. I have found the same solution. Good iwb holster that has a wide leather backing and the holster is kydex. I buy my jeans a little big to allow the extra room but find that the leather backing keeps my pants from falling down. Recent bought a iwb holster for a 1911 and found even my full size sig 1911 can be carried without my pants falling down. I carry a j frame most of the time this way and it's like it's not even there.

Having no ass myself, and a need to conceal my weapons from customers, I wear a J-frame in an IWB holster inside a combat boot. Comfortable and concealed. On the occasion where I am carrying more, I wear a Glock in a Desantis OWB holster on a GOOD gun belt.

A belt isn't supported by your butt. It should rest above the hips and is supported by them. If your waist is bigger than your hips, such that you need a tight belt to hold your pants up, the problem is your gut and the best solution is to lose it. That will pay off for you in many other ways, including how much better you will feel all the time. That tight belt also makes IWB impractical.

Another problem many belts have is being made of only one ply of leather. No matter how thick or how it is tanned, that single-ply will eventually curl out under the weight of the firearm. Two-ply belts stitched at top and bottom remain straight because one ply will not stretch as the other tries to curl. I've been wearing the same Filson belt for nine years and it still holds like new. The 5.11 instructor belt, and several brands of rigger belts, also have two plys of webbing. There are also some belts that have a plastic or steel stiffener between the plys. This should not be necessary unless you are carrying multiple tools with a substantial weight.

Having no ass myself, and a need to conceal my weapons from customers, I wear a J-frame in an IWB holster inside a combat boot. Comfortable and concealed. On the occasion where I am carrying more, I wear a Glock in a Desantis OWB holster on a GOOD gun belt.

My church carry lately has been similar. IWB holster clipped into the top of a pair of Justin western style boots. The cuffs are loose, but not bell bottom - just normal pants. Since I'm sitting in church most of the time anyway, this keeps my LC9 pretty accessible for ankle carry - not Bill Jordan speed draw fast, but close enough. I don't even feel the weight and forget it's there half the time.

The emissary belt is my favorite edc belt for the past 4 years. It's rigid scuba webbing and is good for IWB or OWB.
Personally I carry a Sig p365xl or a S&W 360 in a Dark Star Gear AIWB holster 95% of the time and a G19 only when I think that there is the real possibility of something bad happening.
I would rather have a smaller, lighter gun with less capacity all the time, than being uncomfortable or in pain all day or not having any anything.

Also for what it's worth. I am shorter and have a little extra lard around the waist.
I can tell when its time to cut out the cookies when EDC starts feeling extra shitty. Losing the extra padding makes carrying (everything) infinitely easier.

I have the same issue with IWB. Squats won't do squat ;) if you don't have the ass to begin with
Sorry, I can't let this go uncorrected. Saying "squats won't do squat" is not what you are really saying -- I'm either too lazy or too much of a wuss to do squats.

I hate to break it to you but, if you get your assless self under a barbell and perform properly loaded and executed low-bar back squats you will develop glutes. It won't happen quickly but the low-bar squat is very hip-centric for force production and any increases in the weight you squat will necessarily force your glutes to grow.

Sorry, I can't let this go uncorrected. Saying "squats won't do squat" is not what you are really saying -- I'm either too lazy or too much of a wuss to do squats.

I hate to break it to you but, if you get your assless self under a barbell and perform properly loaded and executed low-bar back squats you will develop glutes. It won't happen quickly but the low-bar squat is very hip-centric for force production and any increases in the weight you squat will necessarily force your glutes to grow.
Move a bench to position it facing the treadmills and do weighted hip thrusts, you'll have massive glutes in no time

I pick things up and I put them down…

Back
Top Bottom