I need some advice on OWB carry...

Have you tried one of those ratcheting gun belts yet? That’s what I use and it’s ten x better than old fashioned belts with spaced holes. Those were either too loose or too tight for me. Other than that try a shoulder holster, unless you don’t have any shoulders either. lol 🤷‍♂️
I read ratcheting and thought. . .

71pkKPtHbWL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Have you considered a fag bag (butt pack, whatever they call them) they are pretty useful even if they are kind of a neon sign that says you are packing.
Or you wanna be "packing." LOL

Would this work?
View attachment 549523

Only to absolutely destroy your spine if you fall. So there's that.

Have you thought SmartCarry??? It's a bit stupid, but it takes all of that stress off of your belt issue. Otherwise, go get some spendies and deal with it.

Just ran across this review. Don't know anything about the product, the blogger is someone I read regularly.

Long form conversation time. This is a pretty straightforward engineering problem. You're trying and failing to suspend a weight on the side of an inverted cone. You have three levers you can pull: 1) weight 2) friction 3) geometry.

1) Weight
You've found that pocket carrying a mousegun can work. Somewhere between the weight of your aluminum compact frame and a polymer subcompact (inclusive) will be a tipping point between successful carry, and a feeling of being undergunned. What other guns have you tried? Maybe something like the P365 will be in that sweet spot for you?

2) Friction
You've seen that tightening your belt can work, with drawbacks. For free, you might try punching a hole in your current belt, to see if a half-notch wider would still work with less discomfort. This is basically tweaking the Normal Force part of that equation. You might also consider the friction coefficient - can you put something between your body and the belt/holster that makes it stickier? (More on that in a second.)

3) Geometry
OWB carry puts a weight outside the belt (obviously) and forces the belt to resist a twisting motion. This is why we care so much about having a stiff belt. It can take a marginal arrangement, and cause it to fail. You noted that pocket carry is working with the smaller gun, how big of a gun can you pocket carry? Trying another (stiffer) belt may help, as it could better resist the torque.
Moving to IWB might help resist the twisting, but also (like @jeffC says above) you may find a holster with a friction material that improves the hold.
Moving to a different location (4 o'clock, Appendix) might help, as the edges of the belt can be allowed to grab and bite against you in the area with the smallest radius (your hips).
This reminds me - how high do you wear your belt? That is, on your hips, or above them? If you move higher, you will be cinching around the soft part of your body, instead of essentially trying to compress bone. This might require pants with a longer "drop" to ensure that the crotch is in the right place WRT your belt line.
Have you tried a belly band? Worn over a tee shirt, the neoprene should hold up pretty well.
If none of these work, we get to the "drastic" options. Obviously a shoulder or ankle holster takes the weight off your hips. The shoulder rig can we worn free, or braced to your pants, but then you're wearing suspenders. Ankle holsters are slow, but nobody is looking at your ankles, so printing really doesn't matter.
If you're worried about the shoulder rig being too obvious, have you tried one of the concealment shirts?

UN142_BLK_1500_1.JPG

This is probably the most expensive solution, as you'll need several of them, and they'll wear out faster than a regular holster, but desperate times call for desperate measures. That said, you can get a similar effect with a belly band worn high in the armpit. Regardless, you'll likely have to change the way you dress to support this higher mode of carry.

Good luck!

1) Carry a lighter pistol. I chose a Glock 19, for reasons explained below.
2) Crossbreed gun belt. It’s the stiffest sturdiest belt Ive found, and I’ve been through most. I bet you could hold the belt straight out with the holster on it and it’d still be horizontal. All this while still being a normal, comfortable feeling belt.

I've worn a Crossbreed belt for about 10 years. Great belts and I strongly recommend them. The Hanks bison belt is thicker/stiffer than the Crossbreed even though it doesn't have a stiffener in it.

An unload G19 with mag is 3.3 ounces lighter than the specs on the OP's pistol so there is a saving there. I carry it in an OWB Don Hume open top holster

It's just too hard to conceal.

IMO, I wouldn't worry about concealment.

Most people won't ever notice an odd bulge here and there or an accidental exposure.

While it doesn't look like they sell them anymore, I wear an unbuttoned lined "hurricane cloth" shirt as my casual daya to day winter "coat". It is more than capable of concealing a shoulder holster or any OWB belt holster. Every once in awhile it will ride up or blow open exposing my holster, but nobody important ever notices.
'
' 7be651c3a99e8b3a6b015b9c230d01fd.jpg

This might sound like a joke, but it's not.
My plumber wears these: PantsProp.
It's basically a little piece of rubber that you attach to your shirt that catches on your belt, so you can wear your belt loose but your pants still stay up.

Add a good, stiff belt. (This is important)

Nope, no knee trouble to speak of...the only knee trouble I have is related to a skiing injury I had in the 70's when I dislocated it and even that is very infrequent. The only time I notice it is when I am hiking for extended periods with a heavy pack. Even when I was in the best of shape, I still had this problem. I never knew what was causing this chronic hip pain for years until I moved out here. I stopped wearing the OWB CZ a couple of weeks ago, loosened the belt a bit and no more pain.

I could try my CZ-82 OWB but that's not much better than a LCP.
The slightest issue can cause hip problems.

I play a lot of sports and had an issue on my right hip. Turns out the issue was related to a tendon on my butt and that was related to a knee being sore. Without knowing I was placing more weight on one side which made the other side stiffer. I always played contact sports so my hips are naturally stiff (per the PT people, that is normal), this made it worse.

A few strengthening exercises, some care and a few months later I was back where I needed to be, no more issues. Now I added hip strengthening exercises to my gym routine.

So, dont ignore that knee pain, look at pictures of human muscles, everything in your legs is connected, pain in the lower leg could be due to quads, pain in quads could be due to butt and so on ...

As far as pants... good fitting pants should fit without the need of a belt. I also dont have a big bubble butt (like @Mountain has), my butt is fairly flat, I am a waist 32. I buy jeans that fit without the need for a belt, usually athletic cut jeans. I Only wear a belt for the CCW and because I think jeans without belt look weird.

So, find jeans that fit you right. Go to the Levi's store and try them all on. If those dont work, go to another store until you find a pair, then buy 10 of those and forget about it.

The advice given above of exercising is great advice. Your hips will only get worse with age, specially if you spend a lot of time sitting. So go to PT and get some exercises to strengthen them.

Also, try moving your gun around, I prefer to carry at the 5 o'clock, that moves the gun away from the hip bone on the side.

Last edited:
Have you tried one of those ratcheting gun belts yet? That’s what I use and it’s ten x better than old fashioned belts with spaced holes. Those were either too loose or too tight for me. Other than that try a shoulder holster, unless you don’t have any shoulders either. lol 🤷‍♂️

This. I bought one for carrying and now I have a couple that I wear for everyday use. I will look up the brand later. Have had it for at least 3 years now and zero sign of wear and tear. As some others have recommended… as someone who wasn’t blessed with a backside squats (eve body weight squats) help.

I bought a Kore ratcheting gun belt about a year ago and it’s definitely a much better gun belt than any spaced hole gun belt. Infinite adjustment plus you can tighten or loosen it very discreetly which I find myself doing several times a day depending on if I’m sitting or walking. I carry a P938 in a Milt Sparks VM II 3 - 3:30 IWB and it’s very comfortable. Switching over to a P365XL once I get my new VM II for that pistol (should be this week or next).

It doesn't even have to be a ratcheting belt, it can be one of these simple belts, they hold up well and you can adjust to your exact measurement. Definitely better than any belt w/ spaced holes.

Screenshot 2021-12-07 092749.jpg

My right hip hurts like hell also. I've got a big ass, so that isn't the issue. It was the pressure the holster itself was putting on something on that side.

I mainly carry front pocket now. I've found that the LC9 is the biggest pistol that I can carry easily in a pocket. It isn't much bigger than your LCP, but will give you a little boost in power.

I have the belly band and would lower it just a bit to hold my pants up, which worked reasonably well while walking. I know wear a belt .

Or, if you can handle a litttle pain . Have your stomach stapled, lose 100lbs in 3 months, and with the sagging skin , staple some skin folds to form a pouch and youll be able to carry anything you want. 😉View attachment 549525
Win win.

This reminds me - how high do you wear your belt? That is, on your hips, or above them? If you move higher, you will be cinching around the soft part of your body, instead of essentially trying to compress bone. This might require pants with a longer "drop" to ensure that the crotch is in the right place WRT your belt line.
Jeff+Altman+-+I%27ll+Flip+You+Like+A+Cheese+Omelet.jpg

If pocket carry of the LCP works try a small 9mm like LC9S, PM9 ETC.

There are also hybrid suspenders that don't have 4 clips but only 2.
Kinda like a shoulder holster That hooks the pants in the back only.

I have the same problem and pocket carry of the small 9 was my answer. I also don't mind suspenders.
That said I also would not want to be on the recieving end of a .380 so don't discount the LCP. It beats a stick and I'm willing to bet is plenty effective in most situations.

Which version of a Hanks belt do you have? Last I checked they had three thicknesses. I have the middle one and I can leave the belt a bit loose without my IWB pistol sagging, which is not something I can do with a regular thin belt. Hanks also has kevlar reinforced belts.

Also, another vote for AIWB to help distribute the weight of the gun.

I think a lot of people give too much credit or worry re: printing and thinking others automatically know you’re carrying. It’s kind of like if you smoke a joint and go outside, you feel like everyone knows you’re baked and are starting at you, when in fact it’s just your own awkwardness in the moment and no one knows a thing but you.

I’m not a big built guy by any means, fairly thin @ about 180lbs and 6’. While working plainclothes assignments over the years and in the summer, I’d have an OWB holster carrying a 1911, 2 spare mags, a police radio and a set of cuffs all stuffed into or onto my waistband wearing only a
t-shirt or a flannel unbuttoned over that.

Nobody ever said a word about it or freaked out pointing or anything. You’d be surprised just how completely unaware or oblivious people passing you on the streets are. This is kind of a mindset in regards to printing. Just need to not obsess about that part of it and act like you belong anywhere you happen to be. If you look like you belong there (anywhere) 99% of people won’t give you a second look.

I think a lot of people give too much credit or worry re: printing and thinking others automatically know you’re carrying. It’s kind of like if you smoke a joint and go outside, you feel like everyone knows you’re baked and are starting at you, when in fact it’s just your own awkwardness in the moment and no one knows a thing but you.

I’m not a big built guy by any means, fairly thin @ about 180lbs and 6’. While working plainclothes assignments over the years and in the summer, I’d have an OWB holster carrying a 1911, 2 spare mags, a police radio and a set of cuffs all stuffed into or onto my waistband wearing only a
t-shirt or a flannel unbuttoned over that.

Nobody ever said a word about it or freaked out pointing or anything. You’d be surprised just how completely unaware or oblivious people passing you on the streets are. This is kind of a mindset in regards to printing. Just need to not obsess about that part of it and act like you belong anywhere you happen to be. If you look like you belong there (anywhere) 99% of people won’t give you a second look.
Those that notice don't care, those that care don't notice...

Which version of a Hanks belt do you have? Last I checked they had three thicknesses. I have the middle one and I can leave the belt a bit loose without my IWB pistol sagging, which is not something I can do with a regular thin belt. Hanks also has kevlar reinforced belts.

Also, another vote for AIWB to help distribute the weight of the gun.
I don't know, kalash. It's at least 10 years old. Maybe time for a replacement. I know I paid about $50 back when I bought it. I was impressed when I bought it at how thick it was. At the time it was being touted as being "Amish" made. Not sure if it still is. I actually think I first heard about it here on NES.

Back
Top Bottom