I Need A 1911

38ExtraSpecial

NES Member
Hey everyone.

i've been looking for a nice 1911. and everyone told me go with a springer.... but they're not MA compliant. so what do you all suggest? i've heard S&W is nice too... but not a true 1911 so mods mean gunsmith custom work.... but they're already pretty tricked out i guess.

i'm just looking for a full size gun i can become pretty good with at the range. and i don't want to kick myself in the butt sometime down the road because i should have bought something better.

i want do it right the first time. what do you all think? i'd love to get something new. because it's hard to chase down good used guns around here without paying almost new prices anyway.

thanks again guys!

S&W, Sig and Para are really the only options for 1911s in MA, and as far as GI-spec models, the only option appears to be Auto-Ordnance, which has gotten mixed reviews.

1911's

Here's what i know and read.Gun test reports gave the Sig a low mark.

A comment was made by a forum member that Para's are a "jammamatic"

On the whole i go for the S&W.

there are quite a few, i would go out to the S&W range and try a few.

do not buy one without shooting it first. big mistake.

JimB

Get a stainless or blued target model SW1911, you want something with ambi safeties and adjustable sights. I would not get a PD for a range gun. to snappy, the steel gun will handle the recoil better

There is a Sig 1911 on the current EOPS roster, but to the best of my knowledge it isn't being allowed for sale by the AG for who knows what reason.

I have one of the early S&W 1911s and I absolutely LOVE the gun. No failures of any kind after over 500 rounds.

Scrivener will have wood if he gets to tell someone else that SVI is the balls...... Bring checkbook...lol

If we want to be uber-technical, very few of us have 1911s, but 1911a1 variants. If you're really after a true 1911, look into getting yourself a C&R. If you're looking for something just plain-jane GI spec, but not necessarily something that's C&R, patience and research, and you'll find something; probably a mixmaster though. If you're really just looking for a full-sized single-action .45ACP autoloader, you can't beat the Smiths, especially given the warranty.

If this is going to be your first handgun, don't worry about doing it right the first time; it won't be your last handgun. [wink]

Get a stainless or blued target model SW1911, you want something with ambi safeties and adjustable sights. I would not get a PD for a range gun. to snappy, the steel gun will handle the recoil better

Why ambi safeties if he's not a lefty? Also, I'm not a fan of adjustable sights unless you're planning to shoot bullseye. Otherwise fixed sights are plenty accurate, and you don't spend time futzing with the sights. I agree though, if you're not planning on carrying it, no reason to get the PD. I have a gunsite edition SW1911PD and love it. A friend of mine has the basic full size steel model, and its a great gun also.

I have the full size SW1911 - sku 108285

it's one step up from the stainless one on the price scale...

I LOVE IT!

not one failure of any kind - just broke 700 rounds two weeks ago.

they are nice guns....

**still need to get some lock tite for my grips though** LOL

Hey everyone.

i've been looking for a nice 1911. and everyone told me go with a springer.... but they're not MA compliant. so what do you all suggest? i've heard S&W is nice too... but not a true 1911 so mods mean gunsmith custom work.... but they're already pretty tricked out i guess.

i'm just looking for a full size gun i can become pretty good with at the range. and i don't want to kick myself in the butt sometime down the road because i should have bought something better.

i want do it right the first time. what do you all think? i'd love to get something new. because it's hard to chase down good used guns around here without paying almost new prices anyway.

thanks again guys!

Not sure what "not a true 1911" means, unless you're saying that the SW1911 is not identical in every detail to the US gov't issued 1911 pistol, which would be correct. The S&W is closer to the 1911A1, as was pointed out. But, unless you are a collector who wants to have the exact gun as issued to our armed forces, that shouldn't matter to you very much.

If you just want a good gun to shoot, the Smith should do the trick for you. It is an evolution from the army pistol of nearly 100 years ago. That external extracter is much less fiddly than the original internal one. You can drop the slide on a full chamber with the external extractor without problems, unlike the old style extractor. Also, the external extractor never has to be tuned.

The S&W 1911 does not need custom gunsmith work when fitting aftermarket parts any more than any other brand of 1911 does, and as you point out, it already has a lot of the bells and whistles. I don't have a scientific study available to back up this assertion, but I doubt if there is any other 1911 on the market in the same price range that will function any better right out of the box than the S&W does.

S&W has brought us (and certified for MA) a wide range of 1911s. I have a full-sized stainless, and a commander-sized scandium framed model and they are both great. Most likely, my next 1911 will also be a Smith. [grin]

I have put almost 400rnds thru the Para P14-45 I picked up at the begging of May, and I havent had NOT one jam. So the guy that said they are "jamomatics" must have had a problem with the one he used and should have gotten it fixed. [wink]

I have put almost 400rnds thru the Para P14-45 I picked up at the begging of May, and I havent had NOT one jam. So the guy that said they are "jamomatics" must have had a problem with the one he used and should have gotten it fixed. [wink]

I recently sold a Para Nite Tac 9 that didn't give me any problems either... there are a few sources on the 1911 forum about the "jamomatics" - but most of the ones I read were double stack .45 ACP's....

you guys are killing me!

now i want a smith...... again

damn! why can't smith and wesson still have that 100 bucks off deal!?!

don't they sell them cheap through their sporting center? man now i need one i'm all fired up about them pun intended

Why ambi safeties if he's not a lefty? Also, I'm not a fan of adjustable sights unless you're planning to shoot bullseye. Otherwise fixed sights are plenty accurate, and you don't spend time futzing with the sights. I agree though, if you're not planning on carrying it, no reason to get the PD. I have a gunsite edition SW1911PD and love it. A friend of mine has the basic full size steel model, and its a great gun also.

Not everyone always shoots freestyle or strong hand, knowing how to work a gun weak hand is a valuable skill. The benefit of adjustable sights is know that your gun is zeroed exactly for you load and your eyes, not what the factory thinks is best. nothing is better than having a gun hit exactly where you aim it

arrrgggg. ok so what do i go for? seems like a lot of choices. i do have a week off coming up i guess i should go there and shoot some of em huh?

arrrgggg. ok so what do i go for? seems like a lot of choices. i do have a week off coming up i guess i should go there and shoot some of em huh?

if you want to come up to Ames on Thursday night, you are welcome to try my SW, bring ammo if you want to shoot at factory power factor. mine are downloaded to 165 pf

you guys are killing me!

now i want a smith...... again

damn! why can't smith and wesson still have that 100 bucks off deal!?!

don't they sell them cheap through their sporting center? man now i need one i'm all fired up about them pun intended

that's exactly when i bought mine... $774 BEFORE the $100 rebate - which I am still waiting for BTW.

But, they can be found used between $600 to $800 depending on the model. I've seen DK or performance editions going for $700(ish) at Four Seasons...

But I went with a new one at my time of purchase to save $100 bucks - plus I knew I would keep the gun..... LOL

This question was asked - again - just LAST week.

As you would have seen, had you bothered to actually look....

As with that poster, you do not state any particular desires or uses for the gun, making any recommendation difficult, if not pointless.

I suggest you go to a range and try some of the guns available and review your options in light of your uses and budget.

Not sure what to get? Buy used; little, if any, loss when you sell.

Want investment-grade? A Performance Center S&W or an SVI.

Whatever, try actually researching the issue instead of posting redundant threads about it.

This question was asked - again - just LAST week.

As you would have seen, had you bothered to actually look....

As with that poster, you do not state any particular desires or uses for the gun, making any recommendation difficult, if not pointless.

I suggest you go to a range and try some of the guns available and review your options in light of your uses and budget.

Not sure what to get? Buy used; little, if any, loss when you sell.

Want investment-grade? A Performance Center S&W or an SVI.

Whatever, try actually researching the issue instead of posting redundant threads about it.

****crickets**** [laugh][rofl]

that search feature is an aquired skill.... j/k

Back
Top Bottom