• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I Need A 1911

have to agree with Scrivener.... When I knew that I wanted to upgrade to 1911, I did LOTS of reading and testing from the guys that have various brands - S&W, Para, Colt, etc. Finally decided on S&W and got a great purchase from a member here (Thank you...) - Model 108284

Very happy with results and performance....

SW1911002.jpg

scrivener.

so sorry to have bothered you... if you don't wanna read my thread please don't

i know there is a search function, and i know i could have specified what i wanted it for but either way if i wanted a target gun or wanted a personal protection gun... wouldn't you still tell me who the better company was?

and i'm pretty sure that i stated i wanted something to practice with at the range right? and specified my feeling on a new gun vs used due to availability

what are the forums for if not to post questions? even though it's been posted before do you only expect each question to be asked once and anyone who wants to know it has to hope they get the right combo of words for the search function to spit out what they're looking for?

i have spoken with gun store owners
i have spoken with custom 1911 builders
i have spoken with many people who shoot a lot of gun and have had a bunch of different 1911s
i have read on the 1911 forums and other gun forums
i have read around on here
and researched the different options available from different companies.

and this thread was part of the research. but who knew asking a question on a forum for a specific group of hobbies/interests would be a bad thing?

but i guess you knew all of that already[smile]

not trying to be a jerk. but how did you know i didn't already do a search?

p.s. thanks to the rest of you. i appreciate the help.

Last edited:
scrivener.

so sorry to have bothered you... if you don't wanna read my thread please don't

i know there is a search function, and i know i could have specified what i wanted it for but either way if i wanted a target gun or wanted a personal protection gun... wouldn't you still tell me who the better company was?

and i'm pretty sure that i stated i wanted something to practice with at the range right? and specified my feeling on a new gun vs used due to availability

what are the forums for if not to post questions? even though it's been posted before do you only expect each question to be asked once and anyone who wants to know it has to hope they get the right combo of words for the search function to spit out what they're looking for?

i have spoken with gun store owners
i have spoken with custom 1911 builders
i have spoken with many people who shoot a lot of gun and have had a bunch of different 1911s
i have read on the 1911 forums and other gun forums
i have read around on here
and researched the different options available from different companies.

and this thread was part of the research. but who knew asking a question on a forum for a specific group of hobbies/interests would be a bad thing?

but i guess you knew all of that already[smile]

not trying to be a jerk. but how did you know i didn't already do a search?

p.s. thanks to the rest of you. i appreciate the help.

The SW1911 is a great gun but you still need to find a used colt government.

Thats how I feel anyway. My favorite all around gun to shoot, and to use for protection is the SW1911. The colt nostalgia is nice though and you can find one but you're going to pay a lot of cash for a used gun so it probably isn't the best choice to get into 1911's with.

The problems I have with the smith are:

Mine had fixed sights and is going back to the factory again so that hopefully this time they put the right size front sight on.

They don't file the front sights to be flush with the slide and it is ugly.

I like the 70's GI solid short triggers better than the 3 hole.

The external extractor looks funny.

Not everyone always shoots freestyle or strong hand, knowing how to work a gun weak hand is a valuable skill. The benefit of adjustable sights is know that your gun is zeroed exactly for you load and your eyes, not what the factory thinks is best. nothing is better than having a gun hit exactly where you aim it

Yeah, I do plenty of weak hand shooting. My primary carry and competition gun does have an ambi safety, but I pretty much never use the one on the right side. Weak hand IDPA stages start at low ready safety off, or are transfers from strong hand. In a defensive situation where I have to shoot weak hand, either my gun is already out and safety off, or I have to draw across my body and the slight extra speed penalty of a left only safety is a drop in the bucket. I can see plusses and minuses to an ambi safety, and certainly wouldn't fault someone for wanting them; I just don't think it's a requirement unless you're a lefty.

Good point on the adjustable sights if you shoot different loads. I currently only shoot factory ammo in one weight per caliber, so they're all pretty close. If I shot both full power 45 and 165pf, I'd see a use for the adjustable sights. I think it's personal preference on a range gun. On fighting gun, fixed sights all the way.

my 2.5c more

go with a SW 1911. the customer service is the best i can find.

they are also local, you can (if you like) drive there.

you can talk to a gunsmith. ssit doesn't get any better.

secondly, it doesn't sound like you want anything special, Smith offers
a variety of models, find one that meets your needs.

If in the future you find you need more, sell the one you have
and get what you need.

Be like the rest of us, NUTS....

JimB

And pander to the slothful and lazy? Thing again - or, for the first time....

How would you know - you obviously never even tried. [rolleyes]

Proof? Here it is:

1. Here's the post you would have found - had you made even a minimal effort to look:

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37540

2. This thread has a Firearms section - for (redundant) questions like yours.

Again, as you'd have found if you'd looked. [slap]

Oh - use punctuation, including capital letters. You are not e.e. cummings.

And pander to the slothful and lazy? Thing again - or, for the first time....

How would you know - you obviously never even tried. [rolleyes]

Proof? Here it is:

1. Here's the post you would have found - had you made even a minimal effort to look:

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37540

2. This thread has a Firearms section - for (redundant) questions like yours.

Again, as you'd have found if you'd looked. [slap]

Oh - use punctuation, including capital letters. You are not e.e. cummings.

Hey, I know! Maybe you can start a thread called "Anal-retentive Forum Usage" and list out all of the specific detailed actions that everyone is supposed to take. I'm sure we would all find it very helpful. [smile]

Hey, I know! Maybe you can start a thread called "Anal-retentive Forum Usage" and list out all of the specific detailed actions that everyone is supposed to take. I'm sure we would all find it very helpful. [smile]

Or, you could simply look in the FIREARMS section, amazingly enough.

Assuming you are under some disability which precludes use the SEARCH function. [rolleyes]

Sometimes I think we should ease up on eachother a bit. I don't know Scriv or Michael personally, but I like them both from what they've had to say here and the fact that they value their freedom and their RTKBA. Theres plenty of folks around, especially in this state, that don't like us. We don't need us to not like us.

Last edited:
Sometimes I think we should ease up on eachother a bit. I don't know Scriv or Michael personally, but I like them both from what they've had to say here and the fact that they value their freedom and their RTKBA. Theres plenty of folks around, especially in this state, that don't like us. We don't need us to not like us.

I don't know either of them, but the fact that they're posting here makes me automatically like them. I hope my joking around and sarcasm is taken in the spirit intended.

man you really have a stick up your ass don't you?

you're talking about my bad punctuation, what about your spelling/punctuation errors? what about yours? "thing again"?
oh wait that's right we're on a shooting forum not the north east grammatical forums. i think you're lost

and again i'll say that i have used the search function. i actually used it to find some of your threads

you would think someone as knowledgable and so skilled in the "art of the search function" wouldn't need it to find a a "solid 22 bolt action" without having to post the question... can't you just search for these answers?

i'm all done with this thread. again i appreciate everyone's help except the lack of help from you. someone who aparently is very unhappy with how his life turned out and thinks he needs to play moderator on an online forum to feel important

when if infact he actually cared about the forum and its proper use he would help out newcomers to the forum instead of discouraging them from the use of it.

i guess its time to search for the contact for the person(s) who runs the forums... gee if i could only figure it out.

maybe there's a forum somewhere that focuses on the proper use of forums

now thats the type of place i could really take a verbal beating from a whole bunch of members for just showing interest in something.

but how do i find it?[thinking]

Last edited:
all i wanted was some opinions on my own thread. i know i can search but why not post it again.

i'm a pretty active member of a custom knife forum and when i see for the
20th time this year

"what's the best grinder to buy?" thread

i can put my two cents in no problem, and if its a

"forged vs. stock removal" thread

and i don't care to read about another mis informed new guy for one reason or another, or at the time don't have interest in posting some thread to read or some links to useful info and books to buy, or just plain ol helping him because, obviously he asked a question for a reason, he wants an answer. then i just won't read it if i'm sick of the threads

Oh no. Smaug has awoken.

Oh crap, thats a Lord Of The Rings reference...... Not only is my secret out that I am a geek, but I just hijacked the thread.

Ummm.. 1911 is good.

I bet you could take a RingWraith out with one of those.

Oh crap... I did it again.....

So... anyone want my opinion on Paras? [smile]

Actually, I know that was a joke and all but have you shot one? I'm a bit curious as to what you think.

I held a double stack para 1911 look alike in my hand but didn't shoot it. To me it sort of felt more like a Desert Eagle. I've dry fired the double action one, or what they call the LDA. I didnt really like that either, but I don't own any double action guns outside of revolvers.

I have the para warthog.

pretty nice little gun. very wide grip for a small gun. i think i would go single stack for a carry gun neck time.

but fit and finish seems nice to me. and for a short gun it seems to shoot pretty damn good. well to the best of my abilities. my buddy joe has one too and he really likes it.

Let M. Spangler post whatever he wants. Whats the big deal? I dont know why these posts always get off topic about spelling ect. Stay on topic or do not post.

Now to stay on topic I own a 1911PD and got the CT Laser Grips put on when i ordered it. I love it. I have yet to have a FTF or jam and i have put about 800+ rounds thru it. I have only shot a SW and a Kimber so i dont know how fair my judgement is. I live in the North Shore and if you ever want to shoot mine for a test just PM me on here and i will take you.

Richie

all i wanted was some opinions on my own thread. i know i can search but why not post it again.

i'm a pretty active member of a custom knife forum and when i see for the
20th time this year

"what's the best grinder to buy?" thread

i can put my two cents in no problem, and if its a

"forged vs. stock removal" thread

and i don't care to read about another mis informed new guy for one reason or another, or at the time don't have interest in posting some thread to read or some links to useful info and books to buy, or just plain ol helping him because, obviously he asked a question for a reason, he wants an answer. then i just won't read it if i'm sick of the threads

Don't sweat him Mike. Its not worth your breath...

Hit the ignore button and never look back like lots here have done. Loud hobbits eventually are just yelling at themselves, which is much more satisfying for ones who thrive on thread derailment and spewing negativity in otherwise good threads.

You should come to IG's hammerin on July 19th, btw. Also, membership up so we can shoot together at some of the members shoots!

Last edited:
Actually, I know that was a joke and all but have you shot one? I'm a bit curious as to what you think.

It was an inside joke. [smile]

I would gladly share with you my opinion of Para but unfortunately the character limit on this system will not allow me to express nor post to the satisfaction of my deep seeded hatred.

I like the Smith's a lot, I think they make great carry guns if you're into carrying 1911's. I will say that you should definately get the adjustable sights if you are just going to shoot paper or whatever other inanimate objects with it. The Novak sights are great for CCW but not so great for bullseye stuff. I am actually thinking about buying the Novak sight for mine that is the same shape as the fixed sight but is adjustable for elevation.

But, like I said, that gun gets used for personal defense because it is 100% reliable with winchester sxt hollowpoints and is really accurate as well.

It was an inside joke. [smile]

I would gladly share with you my opinion of Para but unfortunately the character limit on this system will not allow me to express nor post to the satisfaction of my deep seeded hatred.

That bad then huh? Wow I'm glad I didnt buy one.

Just to chime in my $0.02-

I bought an Auto Ordnance 1911 government model with the plastic grips (http://autoordnance.com/ao_1911pkz_f.html) I actually preferred the plastic to the real wood.

Anyway, I got one with two things in mind:

1) I wanted a replica WWII 1911. This thing just has a great feel and finish to it. Very GI.
2) I knew AOs had shitty reputations.

This was to be a fun .45 shooter. I think it cost me around $500.

Sure enough, it had some problems- feeding and sights, mostly. I returned it twice to the factory and they graciously fixed certain things. They polished the feed ramp, which solved the feeding, and the sights got better, but I finally just manually adjusted them, and it now shoots pretty well.

Point is, if you're going for a "baby" gun to love, I'd go with some of the higher end models mentioned. If you're going for a fun slug thrower, I'd look at the AO. Now, if Sprinfield made their GI available in MA (http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=6) I'd probably get it, and swap out those lame ass "US" hand grips. But, as they don't, the AO is far and away your best option for that old school heavy look. Or a very expensive C&R :)

Man, you love those Liberian fighters don'tcha? What's the arrow pointing to? Does he have his pinkie out like a proper gentleman? [laugh]

The arrow is pointing to the mag spring and base plate, which have blown out of his mag, rendering it - and, thus, the gun - useless.

Back
Top Bottom