I am going to Bass Pro Shop Today

I know a lot of you went to BPS last night, apparently there was some "good" stuff there. My question is "what should I make a point of checking out, I have about 2 hours from around 12:30.
I am looking for ammo deals, I want to scope out gun safes, but, if there is a good deal on a "good gun" then maybe I will jump on that also.
Thanks
Sean

I have not seen the official NES review of the new store but Im sure the members that visited yesterday will chime in. Have a great time it looks like a very cool store.

I stopped in tonight to check it out, and it was as impressive as expected. I've been to several others, and they never fail to WOW you with the set-up.

Nice to see C-Pher behind the counter - very busy night.

Only disappointments? Went in looking for reasonably priced ammo, some used guns to check out, and some reloading supplies. Struck out on all three. I get the impression, though, that if enough customers voice their "concerns" they will make changes to adapt.

I did pick up a nifty hat/t-shirt special for $14.95!

SwatMedic, I believe I was BS'ing with you while waiting for the counter help to process/learn to process my handgun purchase. Nice meeting you.

As for the store I found most of the prices on Handguns slightly high, for example the S&W M&P pistols they had were nearly $100 over 4 Seasons advertised price. Other then that I was wowed by the size of the place and the selection of supplies and accessories they had. All in all I think I will more then likely shop mostly at my local FFL for my regular purchases and only go to BP to browse occasionally picking stuff up only if something grabs my attention while there.

I was there last night, and while they had a good ammo selection, prices were not anything to get excited about. Same with the guns and other shooting stuff.

I'm only 3 miles away, so I'll keep an eye out for sales, but otherwise probably won't buy much from the firearms area there.

On the other hand, if you fish, the fishing department is huge! I could see myself buying some line, lures and other small items if I needed them in a hurry. Now, if Cabella's would show up, there would be a bit more competition and probably better pricing.

I was there last night, and while they had a good ammo selection, prices were not anything to get excited about. Same with the guns and other shooting stuff.

I'm only 3 miles away, so I'll keep an eye out for sales, but otherwise probably won't buy much from the firearms area there.

On the other hand, if you fish, the fishing department is huge! I could see myself buying some line, lures and other small items if I needed them in a hurry. Now, if Cabella's would show up, there would be a bit more competition and probably better pricing.

Cabellas coming to Plainville. Being built now next to Lowes at Rte 1 and 152. That's the word, anyway.

SwatMedic, I believe I was BS'ing with you while waiting for the counter help to process/learn to process my handgun purchase. Nice meeting you.

As for the store I found most of the prices on Handguns slightly high, for example the S&W M&P pistols they had were nearly $100 over 4 Seasons advertised price. Other then that I was wowed by the size of the place and the selection of supplies and accessories they had. All in all I think I will more then likely shop mostly at my local FFL for my regular purchases and only go to BP to browse occasionally picking stuff up only if something grabs my attention while there.

That was me, nice to meet you. I assume they finally figured out how to process your purchase.

As for the store, it is huge, you could easily spend a few hours there, but I left empty handed. I was hoping they would have ammo suitable for practice, but they have mostly hunting type ammo. I may look closer at their gun safes,

I heard John Dennis on WEEI talking about the place. He said the place was like a theme park. Heading there this weekend.

C-pher said they had primers and powder. I asked a clerk who asked another clerk and was told "no, not yet". This was yesterday during a "quiet period" in the store.

C-pher still claims that they have them in back.

No idea what the real story is??!!

C-pher stated they have them in back, and they're not available for sale yet (they don't have all the product in yet, so they're holding off on putting them on the floor). I'm sure he'll post when they do put them out on the shelves for purchasing.

OK, let's try to bring this back on a positive note with a question?

- While talking with a customer who commented on the lack of "black rifles", I have the following questions (one is his).

- Does BP intend to sell the SA M1A?
- Does BP intend on selling OC? Do they sell it in any of their other stores?
- Or do they sell Bear Repellent (basically OC) and one must look in another area of Hunting supplies?

The above are "future" questions for one of the BP employees, not restricted to "is it in stock right now".

Thanks.

OK, let's try to bring this back on a positive note with a question?

- While talking with a customer who commented on the lack of "black rifles", I have the following questions (one is his).

- Does BP intend to sell the SA M1A?
- Does BP intend on selling OC? Do they sell it in any of their other stores?
- Or do they sell Bear Repellent (basically OC) and one must look in another area of Hunting supplies?

The above are "future" questions for one of the BP employees, not restricted to "is it in stock right now".

Thanks.

I have no idea about the SA M1A, but if we do I will be the first in line to buy one. That is a good question that I can check on. I will also ask if is something we can special order, if it is not regularly stocked.

I am guessing (ONLY A GUESS AT THIS POINT) that there will be OC, I have seen it come in (smaller personal protection cans, not the big bear repellant cans) and it is in the stock room. I am just not sure what is happening with it yet.

Prices might be on the high side. But I will bet bottom dollar that you will not find better customer service anywhere around. That's what we get drilled into our heads.

IF we're not, we can lose our job. We're told that if we can order it, we will get it for you.

That's what I like from places I do business with. Searching for rock bottom prices isn't near as important as great service IMO. Sounds like a good place... I'll have to make a trip some day.

C-pher, please take the chip off your shoulder. Your last response was the most productive . . .

If I ask someone in an aisle and they go to someone at the counter and get "no", I take their word for it just like I would in any retail store. I don't have (nor want) a "search warrant" to go searching for the stuff in the back room. [wink]

Someone else (who seems to sound like he "knows", perhaps he also works there?), stated above that "they have them but they aren't for sale yet". OK, that response sounded logical to me.

Every one of us is an individual as to "how we shop". I am a "rifle shot shopper" . . . in a store, I walk direct to a department, search for the item I am interested in, if I don't find it I may ask one person then I'm out the door. If items are not priced, I will not usually ask, just move on (old adage "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" [smile] ). Others may search and search, ask a dozen people, ask for a special order, etc. Just not my style of shopping.

The UMC bulk packs (250 rds, 9mm/.40/.45) weren't priced and I broke my usual rule (figuring 1st day, they missed pricing them so I'll cut them a break) and asked a clerk for the prices. It took ~10 minutes (madhouse Wed evening) to get the prices (no hand scanners around and had to wait for the one register to be free to get pricing). I waited patiently, the clerk apologized and I told him not to sweat it . . . I understood the "newbie pains" of the system and do expect that things will smooth out over the next few months.

BTW: On price matching . . . I don't expect any store to price match when the two stores sell different brands or different package sizes. Take the UMC 9mm just for example. UMC 9mm 250 rd pack at BP was $44.xx (equivalent $8.8x/box). Dick's semi-regular sale is $6.98/box in quantity 10 or more. [I usually buy in 500 or 1K quantities so multiple boxes of any size is not an issue to me.] Personally I'm not going to try to convince anyone in any store to match that sort of deal, I just politely say "thank you" and move on . . . buying elsewhere.

This is just me and others may do other things to try to match or make a deal. I'm a potential customer . . . am I like the other potential customers? I have no idea.

C-pher, you've been nuts long before I ever met you. [wink] [smile]

Sorry can't help you there. [wink]

OK, it's not that I don't believe you. OK, I accept that others made a mistake. We can move on here.

Read my Email to you and Jamie (and another on the way).

Let's let the whole BP issue die, OK.

OK, I've been following this whole thing, and while I may or may not be a huge customer, I'm still going to find time to go down there at some point and browse. I'm not a "rifle shot" shopper unless I'm in a screaming hurry (like over lunchtime, say). I go in and BROWSE... and C-pher, I'm sorry that I didn't get there Wednesday night - my foot was bothering me a bit and it occurred to me that even if BassPro has those little electric scooters that I've been using lately while my ankle is healing, it was going to be a madhouse on opening night.

But I will be down there... if only to browse. Hey, you never know what you'll find...

Ross, call ahead!!

I didn't see any electric scooters or wheelchairs, but they may have something if you call and ask the Customer Service folks before venturing near there. Forget about HP parking, the place is so crowded that I would seriously doubt you'll find any open HP spots anywhere near that store. Figure on a couple hundred yards as the nearest you'll get to the store unless you are "off hours" when the place is quiet. Another good question to ask Customer Service.

Aisles (I'll suffer C-pher's wrath again): The major aisles are wide, but lots of area between clothes racks (I'm a "diagonal shopper", taking the straightest line thru racks to get where I'm going) are much too close together in a lot of places . . . no shopping cart or wheel chair/scooter would get thru those areas. Aisles around hunting/gun stuff are wide and wouldn't be a problem. If you want to check out the fishing stuff (downstairs) there are some camouflaged elevators (the place has a "rust-ic look" [wink] ). Ask someone to point them out as they may not be obvious on first glance.

I went down there this afternoon around lunch time, the store was pretty crowded, but mostly with people staring at the pond like they had never seen fish before.

The gun section had a nice selection, the people were friendly
I spent a little time looking at .22s and some Sigs, spoke to the Sig rep for a little while.

Len, I don't have a handicap sticker anyway (doc didn't think to give me one and I didn't think to ask (D'oh!)), so I'd be limping it anyway.

I have to admit, I've got a whole new appreciation for those things after using one at Disney and Universal Studios last month. [grin]

Anyone happen to notice the sign at the entrance door?

It's been discussed before. It is for people bringing in guns to be worked on or traded, etc.

Has no legal effect anyway. You can ignore it. CCW means "concealed" so nobody knows anyway. [wink]

Ann and I had Friday off so we made the trip to BPS. Employees were all friendly and knowledgeable but some of the prices were beyond high. We bought a few things including a trail camera for our backyard in Maine. When I opened the package I noticed it was missing a few things that were suppose to be included with it. I'll be calling them this week on that and we'll see how good their customer service is.

Back
Top Bottom