How to bug out

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least he's teaming up with a class act... Maybe when TSHTF BC will actually get a Ferrari...

All right, all right, everybody calm down. I am obviously new here and just put my foot in my mouth. My sincerest apologies.

Seriously, I am not just some a'hole that would go out theiving and looting but what do you do if your family is threatened? I do own a boat, a couple quads.
and a couple of snowmobiles. And I take preparedness very seriously even though my neighbors think I am a bit over the top. On more than one occasion I have had a house full of yuppie, anti, neighbors during a blizzard because when the town lost power I was the only house with a wood stove. But we are not talking about a three day power outage here.

Now I know that some of the folks here think of themselves as modern Samauri that would rather fall on their sword before they act dishonorably, but frankly I think some of you may be FOS.

Would you really watch your three kids die? Starve drown or freeze to death? That is not survival it is stoic stupidity.

I am not trying to be a prick here but what do you do? Start handing out the Koolaid and tuck everyone into their beds?

I am honestly seeking advice and guidance. I will continue to prepare. I have been trained and continue to do so regularly, but what if that is not enough?

Be prepared enough for your self, and family. If you feel you may need a boat, get one. Your going to stick a gun in the wrong face and then wind up with a family with out you once some one calls your bluff and puts you in your place.

Now I know that some of the folks here think of themselves as modern Samauri that would rather fall on their sword before they act dishonorably, but frankly I think some of you may be FOS.

There's a world of difference between the above and 'I don't need a boat 'cause my neighbor's got one and I can take his.'

One's exigency and the other's thuggery.

Fencer: Voted: "Most Likely To Be Killed Instantly If Shit Hits The Fan" by his entire high-school class...The person "finding" my quad, or my stuff might want to reconsider...Not everyone is a pushover in times of crisis... [wink]

Somehow I don't think a crisis is actually needed to not be a pushover.... (^_^)

Fencer,

Welcome to the Forums and NES

Your foot entered your mouth because you came out and said that you could "find" another mode of transportation along your route home if you had a mountain bike, then implied that "to find" implies taking by force at gun point.

There's a huge difference between turning to stealing to save your family from starvation and implying that you would steal a better mode of transportation if you had one available.

Would I steal to feed my family if it was the only way to feed them? I might, it's hard to say what one would do without being in that position. Would I do it at gun point? Most likely not, that's just too far outside my personal values and I would certainly explore every other avenue possible before resorting to theft.

Is theft part of my SHTF survival plan? Definately not.

I think the biggest issue that people had with your statement was that you catalogued what the people around you have in the anticipation of aquiring it by force in the event of an emergency, which grates against the nature of many of the people here who believe in self-reliance, preparedness and defense of self, family and property.

A better plan (that I think more here would be agreeable to) would be to catalog what your neighbors have so that you can get them together and tell them what they have that the community will need. In an emergency, the majory of people will follow the instructions of someone who stands-up, takes charge and presents themselves as knowing what they're doing. Know who you can count on, what they can do and form a plan on how best to use that for the good of the community. You've already shown you're willing to do it, plan to do just that.

waterworld21.jpg

i'm still trying to figure out what you need a boat for.

i might have to rethink my load out if i have to carry a boat, too. i'm not sure which chest rig will work best in this scenario. i'll already be carrying a rifle, shotgun, primary side arm, back up side arm, machete, primary folding knife, back up folding knife, MOPP 4, fishing gear, baby wipes, Slap Chop, Sham Wow, and Snuggies.

my wife will be carrying my extra ammo. maybe she can carry my boat?

[rofl][laugh2]

And don't forget the Woodsman's Pal.

Last edited:

i might have to rethink my load out if i have to carry a boat, too. i'm not sure which chest rig will work best in this scenario. i'll already be carrying a rifle, shotgun, primary side arm, back up side arm, machete, primary folding knife, back up folding knife, MOPP 4, fishing gear, baby wipes, Slap Chop, Sham Wow, and Snuggies.

What about the extra trauma plates (ones that stop .338 lap) and duct tape? Can't forget that! [laugh]

-Mike

I know it sucks but I have to admit I take a mental inventory of what other people have around me. I don't need a boat because Bob has one and he doesn't have any guns. I mean, we are talking survival here. If the water is rising and the boat is full, my Sig will make enough room on the boat for us.

That's the spirit!

I do the same thing with the women in my neighborhood. I've got a chart of which houses have guns and hot women. If it's gun? no check and hot woman? check, then that's my first stop when the SHTF!

The only real problem is, how do you really know the S has HTF? Sure, if there are already zombies or nukes have been used, yup, it's a go. But what about a prolonged ice storm power outage?

When is it okay to go down the street, kill the gun-less husband and kidnap the hot wife to be your sex slave in the basement?? Seriously! Do you know how FOOLISH you'd look if you waited, say 2 weeks, determined the S has HTF, killed the dude, tied up the wife in the basement, plugged the CD player into the generator, put on some nice romantic rape music and WHHHHHRRRRRRRRUPPPPPPPTTTTTT!!! LIGHTS AND POWER BACK ON!!!!!

What do you say then??? Oops! My bad??

Seriously, I am not just some a'hole that would go out theiving and looting but what do you do if your family is threatened? I do own a boat, a couple quads.
and a couple of snowmobiles. And I take preparedness very seriously even though my neighbors think I am a bit over the top. On more than one occasion I have had a house full of yuppie, anti, neighbors during a blizzard because when the town lost power I was the only house with a wood stove. But we are not talking about a three day power outage here.

Would you really watch your three kids die? Starve drown or freeze to death? That is not survival it is stoic stupidity.

I am not trying to be a prick here but what do you do? Start handing out the Koolaid and tuck everyone into their beds?

I am honestly seeking advice and guidance. I will continue to prepare. I have been trained and continue to do so regularly, but what if that is not enough?

If it's not enough? THEN, and ONLY THEN, do you explore other alternatives. Frankly, though putting your hat in your hand and saying "Bob, the water is rising and my family is in danger; can you take them in" may sit poorly with you, if that's what you have to do, then you do it.

My problem is that you indicated that you were ready to turn predator - waay before you've gotten the point of needing to. If you take preparedness so seriously, and you've sheltered your neighbors already, then why, for Mad Max's sake, haven't you said to your neighbors "Hey, look guys, we see that power isn't really reliable here; why don't you let me help you pick out heaters / generators so that if this happens again, you're prepared." For that matter, why not gently point out that "gee... back during the ice storm, no one could get to the store for a couple of weeks - why don't we all do a group buy of some staples so we won't get hungry if that happens again?"

TSHTF is NOT only "colander on the face" EOTWAKI stuff, it's an ice storm that takes out power to your house for a week. It's a blizzard that closes roads for a week. It's a chlorine tanker truck overturning two blocks away and leading you to have to evac your house on two minutes warning (if that much) with what you can take with you until the damned thing is emptied.

So prepare.

As for acting honorably... I have to believe that I would try everything I could to avoid acting like some two-bit thug, even in the face of the world ending. I still have to account for my actions AFTERwards.

When is it okay to go down the street, kill the gun-less husband and kidnap the hot wife to be your sex slave in the basement?? Seriously! Do you know how FOOLISH you'd look if you waited, say 2 weeks, determined the S has HTF, killed the dude, tied up the wife in the basement, plugged the CD player into the generator, put on some nice romantic rape music and WHHHHHRRRRRRRRUPPPPPPPTTTTTT!!! LIGHTS AND POWER BACK ON!!!!!

What do you say then??? Oops! My bad??
What do you say then? Why, you say "For my next impersonation... Jesse Owens!!"

You're a sick bastard, John, but you do make me laugh. [smile]

You won't be laughing when you need to ford the might Ashuelot on your way west.

And I buy all by vests/molle gear from CDT. I personally like the one with integrated inflatable raft.

I appreciate all of the advice and even the sarcasm. Humor is good.

I hereby promise not to shoot anybody if the SHTF unless I really really have to. I have the hottest wife in the neighborhood so I won't be tying anyones wife up in the basement but maybe I'll get lucky and a hotty will move in.

I also think I misunderstood the forum. I thought we were talking about survival. You guys aren't really talking about end of the world, life or death stuff. You just trying to figure out what to do if the power goes out and your cappaccino machine doesn't work and you can't blow dry your hair.
I am new here so i did not realize that survival meant jumping in the car and heading to the Super8 motel. Boy am I relieved. All these years I have been worrying about what to do if the bombs fall and all I need to do is get together with my neighbors and politely figure out how we are going to divide my supplies so they have a fighting chance.

I always thought survival meant just that. Not "what to do if you don't have cable for a week" Ofcourse I wouldn't shoot people for no reason. Obviously deadly force would only be used as a last resort in a life or death situation, but what are you planning for?

I was mislead by the forum title that says "When you have to take matters into your own hands" It should say " Survival Forum: What to do if the pizza guy takes 45 minutes to arrive". You could starve after all.

Everyone can survive a blizzard that lasts a week or a power outage that last a week with just shelter and blankets. You might get cold and hungry but you will live. If a chlorine tanker overturns all you need are your car keys and a credit card.

When the Koreans nuke the East Coast or the terrorists unleash Bio weapons and no help is coming,that is survival.

the second you pull your weapon to muscle your way around in a post apocalyptic world is probably the last time youll ever do something like that.

do you think youll be the big man on the block with your sig? [rofl]

+1

I predict a short life for fencer when the SHTF.

Like Dench said, you are not the only one in the world willing to kill.

I hereby promise not to shoot anybody if the SHTF unless I really really have to. I have the hottest wife in the neighborhood so I won't be tying anyones wife up in the basement but maybe I'll get lucky and a hotty will move in.

I also think I misunderstood the forum. I thought we were talking about survival. You guys aren't really talking about end of the world, life or death stuff. You just trying to figure out what to do if the power goes out and your cappaccino machine doesn't work and you can't blow dry your hair.
I am new here so i did not realize that survival meant jumping in the car and heading to the Super8 motel. Boy am I relieved. All these years I have been worrying about what to do if the bombs fall and all I need to do is get together with my neighbors and politely figure out how we are going to divide my supplies so they have a fighting chance.

I always thought survival meant just that. Not "what to do if you don't have cable for a week" Ofcourse I wouldn't shoot people for no reason. Obviously deadly force would only be used as a last resort in a life or death situation, but what are you planning for?

I was mislead by the forum title that says "When you have to take matters into your own hands" It should say " Survival Forum: What to do if the pizza guy takes 45 minutes to arrive". You could starve after all.

Everyone can survive a blizzard that lasts a week or a power outage that last a week with just shelter and blankets. You might get cold and hungry but you will live. If a chlorine tanker overturns all you need are your car keys and a credit card.

When the Koreans nuke the East Coast or the terrorists unleash Bio weapons and no help is coming,that is survival.

First, thanks for this post. I appreciate it, I really do. You've made your intent perfectly clear as to what your survival plans are - so if we ever really ARE in a EOTW situation and I see you I'll be sure to shoot first.

Ok, but you've got to get some better SHTF survival scenarios if you want to play here!

The Koreans can't even send a conventional warhead as far as their OWN coast, let alone nuke ours.

And, if the terrorists hit us with bio-weapons, stealing your neighbors boat, well.... that just seems, what's the word? unproductive? [wink]

i'll be easy to spot

i don't have a boat

if you see me, i've already given you a flu shot

your a retard

cobra-commander.jpg

There were several similar documentaries a year or so ago. The gist was, "we" all disappear and what happens next, without us.

It was an eye opener to think about what we would need to deal with on a local level if "nobody" went to work tomorrow, because shtf.

Those chlorine tankers splitting open and gassing neighborhoods. Nuke plants overheating and perhaps spilling radiation, etc.

"Life After People" I think was one of them.

Say a quake knocks us for a loop. Who WILL go tend the power plants, etc.?

sigh.gif

Let me try this one last time and remove the sugar coating... and use small words to you so you understand.

If you think that you're the baddest MF'er in the world, you're dead wrong, and your family will be dead along with you if you get that dumb in your PAW.

There. Only four polysyllabic words and an abbreviation (PAW = Post Apocalyptic World). If you come off all big and bad after TSHTF, you will rapidly learn that you will have made yourself target number one for those who are bigger and badder than you are. Ever hear of "karma"? What goes around, comes around? There's ALWAYS someone tougher than you are... usually the ones who AREN'T bragging on internet forums.

Do you REALLY expect that ALL the police, military and civilian gun owners will mystically and magically VANISH when your bombs drop? Boy, have I got news for you. We'll still be here, trying to survive just like you are, and if we hear about a rogue moron like you, stealing his way across the landscape, don't you think that we'd band together and do a citizen's arrest? Or just cap your ass and hand the corpse over to whatever authorities are left? What do you think "civilization" is, anyway - something imposed by others? No, it's hardworking folks like on this forum trying to impose order on their world for their OWN protection.

Boy, you've been reading too much "Patriot Fiction" by Tired Old Man if you think you're gonna have it all your way after TSHTF.

I'm done here.

Last edited:

Seriously?.. do you have a Ferrarri & attended B.C. ...[rofl]

Last edited:
Sweet....Just be sure to toss Fencer the keys when he approaches on my quad...I don't want to see you get hurt my friend....

That boat is not mine. Fencer, I don't even have a boat.......[laugh]

But I chose that pic because my dad did have a 1979 Bertram 38 powered by a pair of Cummins turbo triple nickels. Only diff between it and the pic is a full tuna tower.

Just curious, what is the recommendation for a bug out bag? Also what should I keep in my lifted Jeep Cherokee and Dodge Ram 3500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom