How to bug out

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does that mean? Why would I ask a question I already knew the answer too. Unless you pack absolutely useless items that would make me question your ability to put together a survival kit.[wink]

It was a pun - a rather punny one too [wink]

I've prepped a lot at home, and I have a secondary location for a SHTF scenario... what I lack is good plans on how to get there.

What happens if the SHTF and I'm at work? Or my wife is out with the kids?

Any good resources or thoughts on creating plans and back up plans for getting to your bug in/out location?

Late model Ferrari.... full speed to Vegas.[wink]

So I am a defeatist? Negative rep points left anonymously?

I was simply adding to conversation that carrying a rifle in a state like MA might be a bad idea. Everyone on this thread gives the doom and gloom suggestions, and they don't workout in every situation. Sorry if I like to stay on the law abiding side of life, and have many reasons to do so.

My reply to this thread was countered with courtesy and I took that answer and slightly modified my stance on the matter to fit my situation. That is the whole point of these threads, friendly suggestions and counter points to evolve your current ideas on the topic.

I did not go on to say anything to give the idea that I am laying down and taking defeat.

Ed

Just about finished putting together a get home bag for my wife.
Coupled with the company provided emergency kit with water, food bars, hand sanitiser, personal wipes, flashlight, emergency blanket, personal first aid kit, and whistle. And a change of clothes this should help her get down 20 stories and find a way home from Boston. All will be packed in waterproof bags and then into a backpack.

DSC_1922.jpg

Knob creek

i would add some type of rain gear, water proof jacket and pants along with an insualting layer (old fleece or sweater). warm hat. add some comfortable walking boots. think how she leaves the house and what she is wearing. will she should be able to survive a day outdoors.
think snow this time of year.
what is the hammer and prybar for?

I can think of many times I had to put together a fast shelter in the woods to get out of weather and to rest and IF I had a hammer oh IM pretty sure it would of went ALOT faster with the nails I had to beat into trees to make my tarp more sturdy against blowing wind and snow. (I had nails left in my quad from putting together a blind) The prybar well Im not so sure except maybe prying open food crates or other supply crates, it never hurts to OVER-PREPARE unless you cant carry it then you would leave it and it does np good anyhow...

just my 2cents

hand axe

instead of the prybar and hammer, how about a handaxe (hatchet), some have a nail puller built in. with the hand axe you then also have a weapon and another usefull tool for fire making, shelter building etc

Hammer - makeshift weapon if she's disarmed by work policies.

Prybar - way to open elevator doors if power goes out while she's in the elevator trying to get out of work? Many tall buildings do not have a door that will open into the lobby from the stairwell - they force you to go outside, and so people are actively discouraged from using the stairs during the day.

Knob creek

i would add some type of rain gear, water proof jacket and pants along with an insualting layer (old fleece or sweater). warm hat. add some comfortable walking boots. think how she leaves the house and what she is wearing. will she should be able to survive a day outdoors.
think snow this time of year.

As Dwarven1 said, Prybar is to open doors, elevator etc. Hammer to break window or put some muscle behind the pry bar. Got the clothes at work no rain pants though. I'll work on that with the boots.

Forget that guys, In that situation, I am taking a bike from one of those liberal hippie mail carriers I see all the time at South Station.

Not nice. I thought the whole idea was to be prepared and to keep the thieves away. Not to become a thief.

Hopefully you were only joking.

Not nice. I thought the whole idea was to be prepared and to keep the thieves away. Not to become a thief.
Unfortunately, some folks seem to think that a SHTF situation is license to join the "colander on the face" crowd, take what they want, and generally act as if they're the only people in the world who count - the hell with anyone else, they're taking what they need.

They're the reason that the rest of us are stocking up on ammunition. [thinking]

Last edited:
Nope! I have a monthly commuter rail Charlie Card pass! [rofl]

I once sat on a T commuter train for 4 hours because some clown had supposedly called in a bomb threat ('93ish).

Did they tell us why the train was stopped? Nope.

Did they back the train up the station so we could find other ways home? Nope.

Did they threaten us with arrest if anyone tried to leave the train? Yes.

Did they charge us the fare, despite sitting at their mercy for hours? You betcha.

Should a real and sudden emergency happen, don't plan on using the train to get out of town unless you hijack the engine.

Well, here is my problem... what happens if the SHTF when I'm at work, 45 miles from home? What happens if the world melts down when I'm on business in NYC?

I guess I'll deal with being at work, because that is the most likely scenario.

My office is in downtown Boston. Leaving during rush hour on a normal day is a disaster because traffic is bad. What happens in a SHTF situation? Roads would be clogged/impassable, public transit would likely be a mess too. How do I get out? Should I keep a bike in the office? Given that I'm close to South Station, do I RUN to the train and try to get any outbound train away from the city? Do I hold up in my office until cover of dark and hike out of the city?

I would seriously consider finding an off site locker or small storage container to stock with supplies. You could put a nice back pack together with a hand gun, flares etc. I would also get walkie talkies with as long a range as possible and batteries for everyone. Some claim to have a 25 mile range. You get me in voice contact and I will come for you.

If you could afford it, or get a couple of people you trust to go in on it, I'd get a unit in the closest 24hr storage facility. Mountain bike, Shotgun, pistol and just start heading in my direction. You could bike 45 miles in about 4 hours. If you get lucky you might just "Find" a motorcyle/dirtbike/quad and get there lickitysplit.

I know it sucks but I have to admit I take a mental inventory of what other people have around me. I don't need a boat because Bob has one and he doesn't have any guns. I mean, we are talking survival here. If the water is rising and the boat is full, my Sig will make enough room on the boat for us.

I know it sucks but I have to admit I take a mental inventory of what other people have around me. I don't need a boat because Bob has one and he doesn't have any guns. I mean, we are talking survival here. If the water is rising and the boat is full, my Sig will make enough room on the boat for us.
Another one I don't turn my back on. [rolleyes]

Why don't you talk to Bob AHEAD of time and say "Hey, Bob, I don't have a boat - if TSHTF, can we come to an agreement that gets me in your boat?"

Or do just want to survive with no foresight, and more importantly, no honor at all?

Last edited:

the second you pull your weapon to muscle your way around in a post apocalyptic world is probably the last time youll ever do something like that.

do you think youll be the big man on the block with your sig? [rofl]

You may want to enroll in a CQB course or 2, that way you can one man commando your way through your neighbor's houses room to room while your at it. [rolleyes]

[laugh2] Too bad you get sea-sick.
I bet you can't handle yourself on a boat in ideal conditions.
(with or without your sig)[laugh]

Hint: The "I'll shoot/threaten innocent people and steal their s**t" approach to SHTF isn't exactly smiled upon by the community here..... [laugh]

-Mike

If you get lucky you might just "Find" a motorcyle/dirtbike/quad and get there lickitysplit.

Fencer: Voted: "Most Likely To Be Killed Instantly If Shit Hits The Fan" by his entire high-school class...The person "finding" my quad, or my stuff might want to reconsider...Not everyone is a pushover in times of crisis... [wink]

Hint: The "I'll shoot/threaten innocent people and steal their s**t" approach to SHTF isn't exactly smiled upon by the community here..... [laugh]

-Mike

Perhaps a team-up with Jhblaze? [rofl2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom