How many of you carry tactical knives while carrying your firearm?

banned

Banned
How many of you carry tactical folding knives?

Why do you carry them?

Spring assist or not? Why or Why not?

Suggestions?

Well, I have no idea what makes a knife tactical, but I carry one every day. Depending on what I'm doing, it's either a Benchmade auto I've had for about 18 years, or one of two Kershaw Leeks (spring assist). While they certainly are available for a 'tactical' job, mostly they're just a knife. Auto, assist or thumb open; because having to let go of what you're holding to cut so you can open your knife and pick it back up to cut it sucks. If I thought I'd have to defend myself with a knife, I'd carry a pistol.

http://www.crkt.com/

These guys make amazing yet affordable knives. I have a M-21, which is pretty big, but I still carry it almost every day. I carry it mostly as a tool, but if I need it for defending myself, its more than capable. Mine isn't spring loaded simply because the opening is extremely smooth, and typically assisted opening is over kill and unnecessary.

I always have a knife, whether I have a gun or not. Usually my Strider SMF, but at work or if I'm out and about (and might get wanded on my way in), I carry a cold steel ti-lite that if I lose it, I won't cry.

Both are designed to cut flesh. I guess that makes them tactical?

- - - Updated - - -

I always have a knife, whether I have a gun or not. Usually my Strider SMF, but at work or if I'm out and about (and might get wanded on my way in), I carry a cold steel ti-lite that if I lose it, I won't cry.

Both are designed to cut flesh. I guess that makes them tactical?

Is there a downside to spring assist?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I have no idea what makes a knife tactical, but I carry one every day. Depending on what I'm doing, it's either a Benchmade auto I've had for about 18 years, or one of two Kershaw Leeks (spring assist). While they certainly are available for a 'tactical' job, mostly they're just a knife. Auto, assist or thumb open; because having to let go of what you're holding to cut so you can open your knife and pick it back up to cut it sucks. If I thought I'd have to defend myself with a knife, I'd carry a pistol.

How do you legally carry an auto?

Depends. If I'm pocket carrying, then no. Any other way, they its a toss-up, depending on the gun and what else Ive got with me. I prefer a zytel Cold Steel Ti-lite, but the quillons on it will scratch anything on the same pocket (my phone bears a few battle scars). I also have a Kershaw Volt II that I picked up for $20 when I need something that can pass as "just a pocket knife". Its assisted, but they can both be opened equally fast. The CS doesn't get used, and it hails from a time before I was old enough for a LTC. The Kershaw does double duty, I try to avoid using it to cut things, but sometimes the assist comes in handy when my hands are full.

Not a huge fan of the 8Cr13MoV steel in the Kershaw, it has the tendency to develop light rust spots if I don't occasionally apply a coat of car wax.

Anything I carry has to be tip-up and back. I hate knives that carry tip down.

I suppose it could confuse a LEO that doesn't know the difference?

Case in point, a guy I know went and got himself arrested.( I had nothing to do with it, but was around after the fact, so I was frisked as well) I had a non-assisted knife with a "flipper" (CRKT M16-01K) and the two officers spend a good 5 minutes trying to decide among themselves if it was a "Switchblade"; I could hear them going back and fourth with one another. They decided it wasn't, and gave it back.

The major issue with SA is the number of moving parts. The less moving parts, IMO, the better.

IIRC the only extra park in many of them is a "torsion bar" that engages the blade. I cant find a large picture version of the Kershaw design (http://www.kershawknives.com/knifetech.php?feature_id=1&brand=kershaw)

The CRKT version is basically a bent "bar" of what looks like thick wire. I cant for the life of me find the picture I saw, but I know at least with the Hissatsu assisted folder, you can disable the assist with an allen wrench.

Last edited:
I will second the CRKT knives. They seem to be pretty agressive in developing a wide variety of knives to suit many different people/likes/needs. My current favorite is the M16-10Z. I try to practise every day opening and closing it one-handed to be able to manipoulate it when I need to.

http://www.crkt.com/M16-10-EDC-GlassFilledNylonHandle-AutoLAWKS-Combo-Edge?&search_id=18552

The only drawback I see (other than my fumble prone fingers) is that most "tactical" knives seem to have enough rough edges/projections/etc in order to be easily and securely grasped under less-than-deal conditions. When I wear jeans or 5.11s, it's not a problem. But if I am wearing a suit or slacks (any dressy clothing with relatively thin or smooth fabric) that these knives seem to catch the fabric too easily. A knife which is smooth enough to not catch might be less than secure in your hand in an emergency situation. YMMV.

I will second the CRKT knives. They seem to be pretty agressive in developing a wide variety of knives to suit many different people/likes/needs. My current favorite is the M16-10Z. I try to practise every day opening and closing it one-handed to be able to manipoulate it when I need to.

http://www.crkt.com/M16-10-EDC-GlassFilledNylonHandle-AutoLAWKS-Combo-Edge?&search_id=18552

The only drawback I see (other than my fumble prone fingers) is that most "tactical" knives seem to have enough rough edges/projections/etc in order to be easily and securely grasped under less-than-deal conditions. When I wear jeans or 5.11s, it's not a problem. But if I am wearing a suit or slacks (any dressy clothing with relatively thin or smooth fabric) that these knives seem to catch the fabric too easily. A knife which is smooth enough to not catch might be less than secure in your hand in an emergency situation. YMMV.

+1 for CRKT Same knife, reg blade half serrated

Spyderco manix II w/ spyderedge and ziptie mod. Nothing I own has ever deployed from pocket to open faster.

Sent from my iPhone in the secret lair of the Supreme ruler of the ozone layer, the Dark Lord Kramdar.

I always have a knife, whether I have a gun or not.

Same here.
I've been carrying a first model aluminum handled, half serrated, pre-safety lock, CRKT M16-13 for about 10 years, which I use for daily cutting tasks.
It has been the very best daily carry knife I've ever owned, and I own a lot of knives.
The lock has been starting to slip under heavy usage lately so I decided to upgrade to the newer titanium version of the same knife.
I'm not disappointed with the performance of it, I got a lot of use out if it, so much so that I simply wore it out.

Only if it opens by accident while in your pocket.

I wouldn't call them tactical,but I usually carry a Kershaw Drone. I'll grab my larger Blur if I think I'll actually be utilizing it (for non-tactical purposes).

I carry a Kershaw Clash every single day . Much like my gun, I consider it like car keys or a wallet - I barely realize it's there, but know when it isn't...I think Kershaw still builds dollar-for-dollar, some of the best knives out there. I like my Clash because it has a launcher tab on the back of the blade which makes it quick to employ and works even if something goes wrong with the spring. It's shave your face sharp and holds an edge. Not bad for $30.00...

Why do you carry them?

For tactically opening cardboard boxes and tactically cutting tactical zip-ties.

I haven't had a spring assist for a while now, but found it very convenient when I did. I often work from a sit harness and a easy one-handed open is imperative.

Currently using one of these for work:

shapeimage_6.png

and a Buck Knight for walking around.

Kershaw Leek here... I don't consider it tactical and could never imagine pulling it in a fight. Just a knife to cut stuff.

Funny how we are largely devided into two clans. Kershaw vs CRKT

Last edited:
Crkt or SOG folder when I'm not wearing my suit. When at work I carry a boker subcom. Great little knife! Small but extremely sharp and well made.

After reading this thread I was curious about the various knives and looked up a few of them. I like the assisted-opening versions - so these aren't in the same category as an automatic knife? Seem very fast and convenient.

I carry one. It's the GOAL/NES Buck they sold a year or two ago. Why do I carry it? Remember the woman that died because her scarf got caught in the escalator at Downtown Crossing? No one had a knife, all they could do is watch helplessly while she strangled to death.

That's why I carry a folding knife.

I carry a Spyderco Delica all the time. I need it to cut stuff. I don't really think of it as tactical, but it would suffice in a pinch. I've carried it for over ten years and never had a problem. Sharp, easy to open, reliable.

During my normal work hours I usually just have my Leatherman Micra on me, so I'm not sure if that qualifies as "tactical", though I'm sure it's not tacticool. When I can dress more casually it's usually a Benchmade Griptillian. I also have a Kershaw Oso Sweet that is ok, but I just don't like the feel of the grip as much.

As others have indicated, I'm not really sure what makes a knife or the carrying of one tactical, but I always have something on me whether I'm carrying or not.

After reading this thread I was curious about the various knives and looked up a few of them. I like the assisted-opening versions - so these aren't in the same category as an automatic knife? Seem very fast and convenient.

Federal definition:

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/15C29.txt

15 U.S.C. §§ 1241–1245

-STATUTE-
As used in this chapter -
(a) The term "interstate commerce" means commerce between any
State, Territory, possession of the United States, or the District
of Columbia, and any place outside thereof.
(b) The term "switchblade knife" means any knife having a blade
which opens automatically -
(1) by hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the
handle of the knife
, or
(2) by operation of inertia, gravity, or both.

Mass Definition:

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section10

Ch.269 Sec.10(b)

(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches

Basically, a switchblade has to have some button lever etc that allowed the blade to be opened solely by spring power. An Assisted opener requires manipulation of the blade (or an extension thereof) and generally, must be manually opened about 30 degrees before the spring takes over. Legally, that makes them NOT a switchblade[grin]

Back
Top Bottom