How many of you carry tactical knives while carrying your firearm?

I always have a knife with me but I'm squirreling away money for an Emerson Commander.

Commanders are great knives! I got lucky and was able to snag this..... One of only 7 Emerson made.....

3111e0cd.jpg

Unlike our crazy firearms laws, it's been my expeirience most cops have a pretty clear understanding on this one--if it opens soley by pushing a button on the handle and not touching the blade (and, of course, has a blade longer than 1.5") its a per se DW.

The issue I have seen in the past when it comes to per se dangerous weapons under 269/10(b) is other cops not distinguishing between "carrying" and "possession"--for example, seizing a double bladed knife they found in a residential search warrant.

All I can say is if you get pinched on a per se DW charge, likely kiss your LTC goodbye.

That, as well as an arrest based on a warrant...which may seem like it would never apply to you, unless you forgot to register your dog or notify your town clerk when it died...

I totally agree with you regarding the possession v. carrying issue. I have had dozens of clients who were charged under 269 10b because the items were found in their home.

I totally agree with you regarding the possession v. carrying issue. I have had dozens of clients who were charged under 269 10b because the items were found in their home.

I have had a few get charged on AO, or for just carrying a folding knife. Also some juveniles charged under city ordinance in Revere. It really does depend on the officer. My two goals for this year are a Firearms CLE and a knife law CLE for defense attorneys. The DA's certainly have no motivation to educate officers on the differences.

For a defensive knife, you need to practice opening it not using the wave. If you are backed against a wall, in a corner, or flat on your back, the wave isn't really going to work.

I would think (hope) most people here would avoid that situation to begin with. [grin] If not, chances are that you will be cut (hard blocks) and stabbed (when hard blocks fail)

I would think (hope) most people here would avoid that situation to begin with. [grin] If not, chances are that you will be cut (hard blocks) and stabbed (when hard blocks fail)

Your avatar is a double fisted hard block. Whomever got blocked, got it by getting fisted.

I carry a Kershaw OS Sweet or a Gerber Paraframe for general use. I'd use them for defense if I had to, but I didn't pick them up with that in mind. My preference is to keep the bad guys from ever getting that close to me! ;-}

The class was in New Hampshire this past February. I believe this was his first time teaching his full length seminar in New England. It was a blast, and well worth it. Mike is an amazing teacher. Here is the link to the MBC site. All the info you could want.... http://www.martialbladeconcepts.com/

Search youtube for "staysafemedia" to check out clips from his DVD's.

He doesn't really teach "offensive" use of a knife. It's using the knife as a defensive tool to stop the attacker's ability to harm you.

http://neshooters.com/
According to the site he will be back next year. I assume around the same time of the year. I was also told he is scheduled to be at the Summit next year.

GOAL also has a defensive folding knife course listed for June 20th. Has anyone taken this? I am considering signing up.
http://goal.org/training/folding_knife.html

I tried to find classes in tactical "lock in a sock" but was unable to locate one. [smile]

I would like to receive some edged fighting training from someone who really knows their shit. (mall ninjas need not apply).

Michael de Bethencourt has a good class. I learned quite a bit. I saw his name listed on the GOAL website. He has a Defensive Knife Class coming up on June 20th. The cost is $75.00 for GOAL members.
Best Regards.

http://neshooters.com/
According to the site he will be back next year. I assume around the same time of the year. I was also told he is scheduled to be at the Summit next year.

GOAL also has a defensive folding knife course listed for June 20th. Has anyone taken this? I am considering signing up.
http://goal.org/training/folding_knife.html

OOPS. I just saw your post. I did take a Defensive Knife course from Michael several years ago. It is quite informative and you get a chance to practice your knife handling skills up close and personal. I plan to take a refresher course from him , perhaps later this year.
If you decide to attend, it would be most considerate for you to shower and wear clean jeans. [smile]
When I say the training is up close and personal, I am being completely honest. If you take this course, you will not be dissappointed with the skills you learn.
Best regards.

Only viable "self defense" folder is the Spyderco civilian, And even then, gun before anything. I would never rely on a knife for self defense.

Sent from my iPhone in the secret lair of the Supreme ruler of the ozone layer, the Dark Lord Kramdar.

What about when a gun is a no-go, but a knife is still good-to-go? [dance]

Spyderco civilian, wtf IS that for? Looks like it was designed to cut weeds. [laugh]

You would really be far better off with a firearm, a baseball bat, baton, lock in a sock, belt with a large belt buckle, etc., before a knife. But to each his own.

Whaaaaaat? I don't even. I can swing a knife faster than a baseball bat and do more tissue damage quicker, as with a baton a lock in a sock, cat in the hat. blah blah blah.

I now the CS video's can be kind of stupid, but it illustrates the point (no pun intended) rather well.

Skip to 20 seconds and watch for a little bit. I want to see you do that with a "lock in a sock"

Also: I've never been in a knife fight. Come close once, but it didn't happen and I am very glad for that. Knife on knife, Id MUCH rather not, but if forced, knife vs fist is not much of a fight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to find classes in tactical "lock in a sock" but was unable to locate one. [smile]

I would like to receive some edged fighting training from someone who really knows their shit. (mall ninjas need not apply).

That sounds like a cool class. When, and where does he usually offer it? This is the first I have heard of these type of classes somewhat locally. Generally you have to fly somewhere for that type of training. Every martial system that I have ever studied had some elements of defending against a knife wielding attacker, but none focused on offensive use of a knife, which I feel is more critical to surviving a real street encounter than trying to defend yourself.

http://www.goal.org/training/schedule.html

Folding Knife with Michael de Bethencourt March 28
Members $75.00

Non-Members $115.00

5:30 - 9:30 PM

Folding Knife with Michael de Bethencourt June 20
Members $75.00

Non-Members $115.00

5:30 - 9:30 PM

been carrying the SOG-Flash II..... love it, been using the crap out of it at work ( cutting plastic film off pallets, card board, cutting nylon straps) and the blade is still pretty damn sharp, pretty damn light as well.

148982_10150948796469954_1464493581_n.jpg

Back in my days of secret Mall Ninja martial arts training, I got to go to a few decent knife seminars, and mess around with the Gunting style kinetic opening knives. I would love to get something like that again when I have some free cash, but they don't make them anymore:

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=25

I just thought it was a really cool concept.

Back
Top Bottom