How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Hampden

2/1/2013 Dropped of application
2/12/2013 Pd called to schedule interview
2/16/2013 interview
3/11/2013 LTC issued
3/21/2013 Pd called to pick up LTC-A

I was expecting 90 days from the interview, so I was happy with the 4.5 weeks.

Newburyport, Ma

3/20/13-Called for Appointment 8am
3/20/13-Interviewed, Fingerprinted,
Application submitted 6pm
4/17/13-Called FRB. Still awaiting local
PD approval

Super easy process, and excellent to deal with.

I had a Fid from another town so I was already in the system.

I Will keep everyone updated.

Last edited:
Haverhill, MA:

02/07/2013 - PD LTC Appointment
03/11/2013 - PD Approved in MIRCS (LO states No Restrictions)
03/18/2013 - Pending FRB Approval
03/25/2013 - Pending FRB Approval

This wait is killing me! I checked beginning of last week and it was still with FRB pending Review/Approval, the individual who I spoke with said 2 weeks from 03/18.

The website states the following:

"As of March 18, 2013 the FRB is currently approving and printing licenses that were submitted for review by police departments between March 4th and March11th."

Does that even hold any weight? The rep said they receive about 3,000 applications a week.

Haverhill, MA:

02/07/2013 - PD LTC Appointment
03/11/2013 - PD Approved in MIRCS (LO states No Restrictions)
03/18/2013 - Pending FRB Approval
03/25/2013 - Pending FRB Approval

This wait is killing me! I checked beginning of last week and it was still with FRB pending Review/Approval, the individual who I spoke with said 2 weeks from 03/18.

The website states the following:

"As of March 18, 2013 the FRB is currently approving and printing licenses that were submitted for review by police departments between March 4th and March11th."

Does that even hold any weight? The rep said they receive about 3,000 applications a week.

The approval they are waiting for is most likely the local PD, who are probably still waiting on the State Police AFIS check. There are two places that they 'approve' the app: the local PD, and then the FRB. Do you know which approval they are waiting for? If it's local PD, you probably still have a little ways to go. If it's only being reviewed at FRB, you are much closer. You should call and clarify to see which one it is to get a better idea.

The State Police check seems to be what holds up most peoples apps. They are taking months in some cases to get the checks back, while others get them quickly.

The approval they are waiting for is most likely the local PD, who are probably still waiting on the State Police AFIS check. There are two places that they 'approve' the app: the local PD, and then the FRB. Do you know which approval they are waiting for? If it's local PD, you probably still have a little ways to go. If it's only being reviewed at FRB, you are much closer. You should call and clarify to see which one it is to get a better idea.

The State Police check seems to be what holds up most peoples apps. They are taking months in some cases to get the checks back, while others get them quickly.

No, the PD LO approved in MIRCS 03/11/2013 with no restrictions. I was under the impression its now in the FRB hands of reviewing/approving/printing...

No, the PD LO approved in MIRCS 03/11/2013 with no restrictions. I was under the impression its now in the FRB hands of reviewing/approving/printing...

It very well could be just waiting on printing. I just know there has been some confusion as to who 'approved' the app, since it technically happens on two levels. A lot of people call FRB and are told it is 'pending review'. This could mean at local PD still, or it could mean PD approved app and the FRB is now reviewing it.

Mine was approved on 3/15 at FRB, and was told on 3/22 it was all approved in being printed that day, so about a week after. Your license will probably be out the door in the next day or two I would think.

Please be advised that MSP is now a choke point. They are just now processing fingerprint cards that were submitted by the PDs in JANUARY!!!! [shocked]

So currently at least some PDs are not the longest delay issue. [thinking]

Please be advised that MSP is now a choke point. They are just now processing fingerprint cards that were submitted by the PDs in JANUARY!!!! [shocked]

Yeah, see this is where I don't understand the process. I no doubt believe this to a degree, as my app was submitted in December, and was just last week approved by the local PD. However, there are plenty of people in this forum who submitted new/renewal apps in Jan. and Feb. and already have their licenses. Seems like it's almost luck of the draw for the MSP check, since some have waited months while others have had quick turnarounds.

Anyone know why this is?

They must be backed up. The same town im in my dad went 2 yrs ago to get a new ltc a and it showed up in 2 1/2 weeks to his house. Im at almost 8 weeks and was in the system already and Im still pending background checks.

So even though the PD approved now FRB has to wait on MSP again for fingerprint cards?

I just found out my town collects applications for 2 weeks before sending them out. this could be part of the delay we are seeing.

Here is an update

Town of Hanson

01/26/13 Application, Prints and Picture
02/22/13 Called FRB, still pending
03/01/13 Called FRB, still pending
03/15/13 Called FRB, Approved and waiting on license to print
03/22/13 Called FRB, liscense printed and mailed out to Hanson PD on 3/20

Now waiting on call from Hanson PD or liscense to show up in the mail.

Southbridge

2/27/13 Stopped in to schedule appt with LO.
3/01/13 Interview
3/25/13 Received call from LO to come in. DENIED.
3/26/13 Appt for FID. :(

I knew it was going to happen anyway when I joined here and found out a guilty OUI conviction after 1994 would screw me over for the rest of my life.
Not sure where to go from here. I know what my options are, but not sure if I want to re-mortgage the house just to fix this... If I even could while Patrick is still in office.
FYI: The LO submits monthly batches of apps here.

Check out what FLRB can do for you. You might be eligible and it cost $100 but no attorney required.

Good luck.

Southbridge

2/27/13 Stopped in to schedule appt with LO.
3/01/13 Interview
3/25/13 Received call from LO to come in. DENIED.
3/26/13 Appt for FID. :(

I knew it was going to happen anyway when I joined here and found out a guilty OUI conviction after 1994 would screw me over for the rest of my life.
Not sure where to go from here. I know what my options are, but not sure if I want to re-mortgage the house just to fix this... If I even could while Patrick is still in office.
FYI: The LO submits monthly batches of apps here.

-------------

The dumb thing on AFIS (fingerprint check) is that those of us in the system require someone to manually go to file cabinets and find our print card, then scan it in for the AFIS check to be done. Mis-filed cards, dirty glass on scanners (from oil on hands of clerks using them), etc. just complicate matters and result in delays.

If prints were done electronically, stored as an image that could be Emailed, etc. it would improve the quality and speed of the system dramatically.

January 9 to March 26 (check-in call on March 21), picked up March 27.

1 day less than 11 weeks for Attleboro (76 days). LTC-A unrestricted :) Picked up card and PIN letter from the police station the next day.

Last edited:
Here is an update

Town of Hanson

01/26/13 Application, Prints and Picture
02/22/13 Called FRB, still pending
03/01/13 Called FRB, still pending
03/15/13 Called FRB, Approved and waiting on license to print
03/22/13 Called FRB, liscense printed and mailed out to Hanson PD on 3/20

Now waiting on call from Hanson PD or liscense to show up in the mail.

Final Update:

3/28 Called Hanson PD. Liscense ready to be picked up. Picked up on my lunch break. Class A no restrictions

Applied 1/16/2013
3/28/2013 Called PD was told it was in and ready to pick up, going to go get it tomorrow.
Class A restricted Newton

Newbury, applied: 12/14/12
photo,prints etc: 12/18/12
approved at FRB: 3/13/13
LTC-A no restrictions in hand 3/28/13
103 days or 14 and change weeks. Officer who handles licenses is professional and pleasant.

Leverett,MA
I had hunter/firearms safety cert from VT in 1998
Interview March 5th, photo, prints, etc
LTC-A no restrictions, Approved by chief (Gentleman and a scholar)
$100 Check cashed a week later
Application was recorded to have been submitted to FRB March 19th.
Am I in the clear?

pending updates

Concord, MA - 87 days, unrestricted ltc-a

Wife and I,

applied, interviewed 1/02/13 told to expect a 3-4 month wait

received our LTC-A's, unrestricted 03/29/13

Paperwork and MIRCS online application filed at local PD on 1/9/13.
LTC expired 2/14/13
Interview with licensing officer 2/28/13. ALP denied again, got OK to renew for "Employment & Target".
(I live in a RED town)
New LTC in hand on 3/28/13
BTW, the licensing officer told me the state was running about 16 business days to process backlog of LTC's, which works out almost exactly to the timeframe I actually waited.
If any PD tells you the state is several months behind, they're full of crap and just jerking you around.

Back
Top Bottom