How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Mine is going much the same way.
Interview Feb 8th
Check cashed within a week
Polite weekly inquiries to the FRB show the application still resides with the town.
The town officer said to expect delays, but they would be because of the state. I'm therefore a little irked that it's still with the town 2 months later, but I figure it's better to vent here than on the phone.
What can I do?

Marlborough
Yeah, thats the last thing I want to do is call the station and start complaining. Ive got one of my buddies whos close family friends with the cop I had to deal with to apply for my license so he is going to TRY and find out whats going on.

Have you called the FRB to check on your status?

I just called the FRB this morning, and was finally told that it had been approved. Finally not the same "still in draft" at the local PD. She said it will be another two weeks for printing and mailing the card. I hope it will be 2 weeks, and not 2 months!

Methuen

Jan. 25 - submitted application
Jan. 30 - LO called to schedule interview
Feb. 4 - Interviewed, photographed, finger printed
Mar. 1 - Fee check cashed
Apr. 2 - Called CJIS, still being reviewed by local PD. Left message for LO seeking update.

I think during the interview the LO mentioned 8-10 weeks, and and I just started week9 (I think) but assuming the LO approves me in MIRCS today, how long does the FRB review take? Is it a cursory glance or do they go back over my application and the PD's review with a fine tooth comb?

Oh well, at 9 weeks I can't really complain...yet.

UPDATE: LO just called me back and said LTC-A was approved with no restrictions. Now just need to wait for the FRB to do their thing.

Woburn

Jan. 29 - Interview, Prints, Photo, Written test & Application submit
Feb. 6 - Check cashed
Mar. 19 - Called FRB received approval
Apr. 4 - LTC A Hunting & Target Restrictions

9 weeks 2 days.

Methuen, MA

Mass Firearms Class 1/12/13
Dropped off application to PD 1/22/13
Interview and prints 1/28/13
Check cashed 1/31/13
Date of issue 3/27/13
Picked up today 4/4/13
LTC A- Restrictions None

Methuen PD made the process very easy.

UPDATE: LO just called me back and said LTC-A was approved with no restrictions. Now just need to wait for the FRB to do their thing.

What does the FRB have to do? Again, I was under the impression that they did most of the process? Still trying to figure out how this all works.

Anyone know if the process takes longer if you were new to the state? I am a federal LEO and have lived in a few states, None like this !! I need a licence to buy ammo or buy a new gun and carry one evrey day for work. Nuts !!Not that I think it should be easier for me than any law abiding citizen.

Anyone know if the process takes longer if you were new to the state? I am a federal LEO and have lived in a few states, None like this !! I need a licence to buy ammo or buy a new gun and carry one evrey day for work. Nuts !!Not that I think it should be easier for me than any law abiding citizen.

Welcome to MA, land of the 10 round mags :)

Well my wife and both went to the PD at the same time. She went first, interview which was just answering the questions on the form as LO entered it into the computer. Then finger printing. I went next and all was done in less than an hour. I got my LTC two weeks before she did. The only difference being she was born out of state. Not sure if its relevant but thats how it worked for us.

What does the FRB have to do? Again, I was under the impression that they did most of the process? Still trying to figure out how this all works.

From my understanding they essentially double check the local PD's work but it's your city/town PD that does all the leg work. they just make sure all t's are crossed, etc., then print/mail the license.

Last edited:
First time for LTC
Call for appointment 12/28/12
Finger prints at PD 2/6/13
Call FRB last night and was approved 4/4/13
Waiting to be printed and mailed out......

Nice lady on the phone says around 2 Weeks.

Hoping.....

Update for Westford in case you missed it. LO is on maternity leave. New person doing it is scheduling appointments. (never needed one before, just walked in). I called yesterday for my son and myself and we took the first available (next week,Wednesday). It's likely to get to be longer wait times for appointments and processing.

For the guy that got his LTC today !!

Sounds like a nice time to do some gun shoping !! have fun be safe !!

GUNS FOR GOOD GUYS !!!!

Last edited:
Wilmington, MA

Mass Firearms Class 10/12/10 - This is NOT a typo - I took the class over two years ago and the Local PD accepted it - They used the standard MA application form.
Dropped off application to PD 12/10/12
Interview and prints 1/17/13
Check cashed - Unknown - Paid with Bank Check
Date of issue 3/27/13
Picked up today 4/5/13
LTC A - Restrictions None

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom