How do you react when you get robbed?

I would guess you'd have an equal chance of the fabric stopping the hammer from going back. Unless this was a roomy coat pocket, like in one of those "barn coats", or something.

Hammerless. ;)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I'm not saying you would purposely push the slide back, but if you were shooting a gun with a slide, and it was in your pocket, and if you were to possibly just possibly thrust the gun in a forward motion while inside your pocket, the tensile strength of the fabric that your pocket is constructed of could be strong enough to stop the momentum of your thrust, and possibly move the slide enough to take it out of battery. But I'm just guessing .

I don't think so and this is why. My hand is much bigger than the slide of my PM9. If you can fit your hand in the pocket and grip the gun, there is pretty much enough room for the slide to travel.

If you point a gun at me I'm not about to wait for you to try and rob me. At that point it's about the lethal threat, and not about the robbery.

You are going to have to be mighty fast to draw when somebody has a gun pointed at you at close distance. But then by all accounts that you have posted, you are indeed a remarkable individual...or so you say.

To say that you would rather be shot is also an interesting comment. I have nothing on my person worth dying for or can't replace. Your bravado is absolutely astounding.

Last edited:
Regular robbery, give 'em whatever they want.

But this "lie on the ground face down" shit? That feels an awful lot like awaiting execution. And what are the chances my IWB at 4:00 doesn't get seen in that position?

Ugh. Try to jump/run to cover and draw? Action beats reaction, so you just might have a chance.

I don't know. I'm usually the last guy to say draw, but I don't like the idea of making it easy to shoot me in the back by lying down on the street.

While I have never been in that situation, science would dictate that the victim has the advantage. Action is faster than reaction. With practice, you could side-step, draw and fire before the BG has time to turn, reaquire you and decide to shoot.

Or you could do this:

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend just got robbed last week and he was asking me about the firearm permit and carry weapons info. At the beginning i was glad, not that he got robbed, he realized guns are not evil. After listen to him for what happened. I was not positive a ccw will help in this case. So...a big guy pointed a pistol at him and ordered him to lay on the ground (face down). Then he was asked to throw all the valuable stuff back to the robber while the criminal was behind him. The robber hit him in the head and left him unconscious for a few seconds while he's running away.

I don't see a slim chance he could draw a weapon and have you imagined anything like this in your practice and how will you react?
Where did this happen?

I don't think so and this is why. My hand is much bigger than the slide of my PM9. If you can fit your hand in the pocket and grip the gun, there is pretty much enough room for the slide to travel.
So you're not much of a thruster apparently hahaha

Yeah...if someone really has the drop on you add already has a gun pointed at your face before you can even think about drawing then I don't know. Making a furtive movement and trying to get your gun is probably going to get you killed. I'd bet a lot of petty thief losers like in the op are bluffing and don't have the balls to pull the trigger but it's not a wager I'd want to take in that moment.

Never mind if they actually have ammo for the gun or even the correct ammo, but as said not a bet you want to lose.

He lives in NH.

- - - Updated - - -

He lives in NH.
Odd there are no news reports about an armed robbery like this, don't you think?

Here's how it went down.

[video=youtube_share;bZj4sEHt-K4]http://youtu.be/bZj4sEHt-K4[/video]

Last edited:

I will pretty much promise you that it's a one shot gun. As soon as it goes off...the slide will bind with all the material in your jacket pocket.

I would suggest getting a jacket from goodwill and heading to the range for a practice run.

I had a friend that moved to NYC and I informed him to get a cheap wallet and throw $10 in ones in it as a decoy to his regular money clip he always carried. He went as far as to throw in some of those fake credit cards you get in the mail saying YOUR NAME HERE and a couple used gift cards. I told him if he is confronted by someone and has 2 diferent directions to be able to go... toss the wallet one way and run the other way. He was mugged at knife point and did as I said. Most muggers are after cash and most people give it up easily. Most muggers aren't expecting resistance.

Yeah...if someone really has the drop on you add already has a gun pointed at your face before you can even think about drawing then I don't know. Making a furtive movement and trying to get your gun is probably going to get you killed. I'd bet a lot of petty thief losers like in the op are bluffing and don't have the balls to pull the trigger but it's not a wager I'd want to take in that moment.

Correct. If the thief feels threatened they can panic and pull the trigger as a reaction. This tends to be more so why the thief shoots. So unless your cornered you have a good chance at getting away if you run. Thief's want your valuables not your life. For the most part if a thief is going to shoot you for running away he was probably going to shoot you anyways.

I second that situational awareness is key. But sometimes things go to shit rather quickly.

OP reminded me of this article, a good read for all. May contain graphic pictures at the end. I believe it was posted here or at ARFCOM.

http://gunsafetyblog.com/2013/12/04/ccw-shooting-recap/

Was over at ARFCOM. I reposted it a few months back. The main thing I got out of that story was external safeties work against you in high stress situations (grip safety, etc)

- - - Updated - - -

While I have never been in that situation, science would dictate that the victim has the advantage. Action is faster than reaction. With practice, you could side-step, draw and fire before the BG has time to turn, reaquire you and decide to shoot.

Or you could do this:

I love me some USP 45 goodness.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is a great story the OP's friend told him.....

smiley-throwing-bomb.gif

Just saying, another follow-up would help this thread along.

I will pretty much promise you that it's a one shot gun. As soon as it goes off...the slide will bind with all the material in your jacket pocket.

I would suggest getting a jacket from goodwill and heading to the range for a practice run.

I will let you know tomorrow. I have an old Carhart that "shrunk"

I will let you know tomorrow. I have an old Carhart that "shrunk"

Pics or it didn't happ.

Wear gloves BTW... Could have just been my bad luck, or the inherent angle you can end up gripping. I got a decent slide bite. Pocket too small for gun, and wasn't a good experiment.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom