• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How do you lock your home gun?

From page 2 of the NRA's interpretation of the ruling @ http://www.nraila.org/media/PDFs/HellerOpinion.pdf:

3. The handgun ban and the trigger-lock requirement (as applied to
self-defense) violate the Second Amendment. The District’s total ban
on handgun possession in the home amounts to a prohibition on an
entire class of “arms” that Americans overwhelmingly choose for the
lawful purpose of self-defense.

Similarly, the requirement that any lawful firearm in the
home be disassembled or bound by a trigger lock makes it impossible
for citizens to use arms for the core lawful purpose of self-defense and
is hence unconstitutional.

Last edited:
I keep mine on my hip. When I sleep it's next to the bed..
+1
Locks have no place on home defense firearms unless you have small children.[/QUOTE]
Mine knows what they are and what they can do. She does not touch them without our permission.

Other people's kids, I do not trust and lock everything that is not on my person.

They found a puncture wound so, lucky me -- he's under rabies quarantine. Plus, I think I can socialize this one. I've got 6 months to try.....

You're actually gonna hold him for a rabies quarantine? Wow, you are a good man! Those guys usually end up at the state lab, in two pieces. Good luck on the socialization. Hard to do, but always great when it works.

This was copied and pasted not written by me. so does this mean that in MA we dont have to have the trigger lock anymore? I keep mine in a safe anyway but I dont like the fact when I buy a gun they make me buy a trigger lock.

No, it does not. The decision invalided DC's law. It has not invalided the MA storage law. I suspect there may be a legal challenge filed against MA law, but it will take time and money for it to be decided.

No, it does not. The decision invalided DC's law. It has not invalided the MA storage law. I suspect there may be a legal challenge filed against MA law, but it will take time and money for it to be decided.

+1

Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley said her office was reviewing the decision but did not expect it to result in a “radical” change in the state’s gun laws.

“This decision is part of an on-going process . . . to balance public safety concerns and the need for sensible gun control with the legitimate right of law-abiding citizens to own firearms for hunting, sport or self-defense,” Coakley said. “Our office will work with state and local law enforcement to ensure that we strike that balance.

I'm not going to comment on what I think Martha might do.

For those of you who lock their home defense guns in safes do you have two safes with a gun in each in case the first safe fails to open?

For those of you who lock their home defense guns in safes do you have two safes with a gun in each in case the first safe fails to open?

1) In 15 years I've never had a problem opening one of my safes.

2) I've got 4 different safes in various parts of the house [rofl]

Well the good thing is when you need it, you'll be betting your life on it. [wink]

It's a matter of considering the odds. What is the probability that I will need to get my handgun in a hurry? Given where I live, it is quite low. Certainly not zero, but quite low. Let's call that probability X.

Now what is the probability that my safe will fail to open? Also quite low. Let's call that probability Y.

What is the probability that my safe will fail to open when Mongo is breaking down the door? X times Y. Which is vanishingly small.

I worry a lot more about getting in an accident on the Pike during my commute. YMMV.

Only you know what works for you. [wink]

Indeed. Since the Mrs and I don't have any children, I wouldn't have any problem leaving a handgun on the bedside table if it wasn't for our storage laws. But the law is there and I choose not to break it.

Keep your home protection gun in a safe or trigger locked up somewhere.

We can run a test one night. I will come in and be at your bedside before you wake up and un-secure your firearm. [grin]

I respectfully disagree Derek. Perhaps with some people with trigger locks or less accessible storage options maybe. With the quick-access safe, alarm system, layout of my house and past training and experience, I think I can get to my HD gun before the BG is at ground zero.

That being said, not all people/safes/HD setups/home layouts are the same. One thing that I feel that anyone should do that keeps a gun for self-defense is "go live" with it:

Load it with snap caps (and be SURE that's all that is in there), then store it as you normally would. Have a buddy wait in another room, with a stop watch, and then at random give you a signal to "GO!". This can be done by yelling or with some kind of sound device (Airhorn anyone? [smile]). You should be in bed, under the covers in whatever clothing you normally sleep in when you run this drill. In a way, it's kind of fun actually. You can clear the room, the whole house or just get to a ready position with cell phone in hand or whatever defensive posture you so choose.

Now I know that this does not simulate some of the key components of a home invasion (extreme duress, roused from a deep sleep, fear) but it certainly is a lot better than nothing and it will build a sort of "muscle/action memory" that would give you a better chance of defending yourself if it ever came to that.

Much in the same way that field exercises and combat training did not entirely simulate all of the aspects of actual armed combat, we did them anyway and were that much better prepared should the SHTF.

Hope this helps somebody [smile]

Yeah, there's no way I'd aim a real gun at a buddy (or anyone else other than a theoretical BG), no matter how many times I've ensured that it's cleared. Airsoft or a blue gun should work just as well in a training scenario.

While I haven't tried a drill like this, I have found that I'm a little slower to get to the safe & open it in the middle of the night. Slow enough that I'm starting to reconsider the wisdom of keeping it in a safe while sleeping.

Last edited:

Yes.

I have a small combination electronic lock handgun safe bolted to the dresser. I have found that under any sort of pressure in the dark, I tend to fumble the combo, and can't open the stupid thing until it resets. I really have to find something better. A purely mechanical combination lock would be a good start.

Yes.

I have a small combination electronic lock handgun safe bolted to the dresser. I have found that under any sort of pressure in the dark, I tend to fumble the combo, and can't open the stupid thing until it resets. I really have to find something better. A purely mechanical combination lock would be a good start.

Maybe add a small LED flashlight in the dresser so you can see the combo?

Back
Top Bottom