• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How do you lock your home gun?

Yeah, there's no way I'd aim a real gun at a buddy (or anyone else other than a theoretical BG), no matter how many times I've ensured that it's cleared. Airsoft or a blue gun should work just as well in a training scenario.

While I haven't tried a drill like this, I have found that I'm a little slower to get to the safe & open it in the middle of the night. Slow enough that I'm starting to reconsider the wisdom of keeping it in a safe while sleeping.

Whoah. I NEVER said anything about aiming the gun at ANYONE. The buddy was simply for the time keeping and to yell "go".

And pursuant to other people's issues with some of your posts M1911, here it is yet again:

If I want to use a real firearm safely to practice a drill, I'm going to do it. You telling me that I shouldn't is a direct insult to my intelligence and is NOT appreciated (or warranted for that matter). I would NEVER aim a firearm (loaded or otherwise) at anything I did not intend to shoot.

This is one of the cardinal rules, yes?

Nowhere in my post did I even infer that there was any kind of "roleplaying" on the buddy's part. To think that I need to be told that pointing a firearm at anyone other than a agressor is not a good idea is a foregone conclusion of the highest order. I'm not one to beef with people on this board, but this kind of Captain Obvious-I know better than you-Let me be quick to point out your mistakes-borderline pious crap is totally needless.

All I said was:
For such training, I strongly suggest that you do NOT use a real firearm. Use a dummy training gun.

Gosh, Fooped, did my post really deserve such a response? Isn't your response a bit over the top?

There are many different folks who read this board. Many (most?) of whom are not as well trained as you. What is obvious to you and me may not be so obvious to them.

And, btw, I have no idea what level of training you have. We've met once. I've never seen you on a firing line. Nor have you seen me on a firing line. So how am I to know what is clearly obvious to you and what is not?

Indeed. Since the Mrs and I don't have any children, I wouldn't have any problem leaving a handgun on the bedside table if it wasn't for our storage laws. But the law is there and I choose not to break it.

I dont have any children myself and when ever I leave my house I take my gun with me. So when I am home do I have to have my gun locked up? I always have it on even in the house. When I go to bed I put it in the safe could I keep it on my bedside table or would that be illegal?

Seriously .. people here know the MGL's about storage. If they choose to bend them then we don't need to "remind" them what the damn law is.

Well...first, I am not so sure that everyone knows the storage laws. We get some pretty incredulous posts from time to time on things that we think "everyone" knows. It is dangerous to assume.

Second, threads like these are somewhat dicey because if someone is not in total compliance with the Massachusetts storage law, then they are in effect incriminating themselves by stating that they are not in compliance with it. It matters not, that people are using a screen identity. If there were people in law enforcement who deemed this website as a "website of interest" (the police are finally catching on to that concept, although it has taken a very long time, the younger officers tend to be computer literate and regard the computer as a tool to be used, not a tool to be feared or ignored) then they would see that people are openly stating they violate the law, and this might bring about more interest. (Please don't go on a diatribe about how the police should be busy catching "real" criminals. In their collective eyes, anyone who knowlingly (or unknowingly) breaks the law is a criminal, and it is easier to go after people like us than the neighborhood gang-banger.)

Third, 1911 is merely trying to point out that some of the incriminating statements (that's what they are) made by people on this thread are exactly that and those practices are illegal. It is a good thing for someone to point that out. He is not trying to be preachy or self-righteous, he is merely applying a little CYA to our forum.

Now this is going to ruffle some feathers, I'm sure. We all know that the law sucks and is totally unrealistic...but why advertise the fact that you may not be in compliance? The internet is forever, and everything you ever write is going to be "out there" for a long, long, time.

Since I don't answer personal questions on internet forums (I might volunteer information but that is my choice), and I regard how I store my personal defense firearm a personal question, my answer is: none of your business and leave it at that.

With respect to all,

Mark L.

Last edited:
So when I am home do I have to have my gun locked up?
According to MGL Chapter 140 S131l, your gun must be locked up unless it is under your control. What constitutes being under your control is not defined in the statute, but instead has apparently been defined in case law. One of the attorneys on the board could answer that far better than I, since IANAL. If you are awake, in the same room as the gun and it is within arms reach, then I think you can argue that it is under your control. If you leave the room, then I suspect you would have a hard time arguing that it is under your control.

Clearly, if the gun is on your hip, then it is under your control. But setting it down and leaving the room is probably illegal under the current MA law.
When I go to bed I put it in the safe could I keep it on my bedside table or would that be illegal?

At least one attorney on the board has said that leaving it on your bedside table while you are sleeping is not in accordance with the law. You may want to consider purchasing a small fast-opening lock box like a Gun Vault: http://gunvault.com/

Last edited:
Clearly, if the gun is on your hip, then it is under your control. But setting it down and leaving the room is probably illegal under the current MA law.

At least one attorney on the board has said that leaving it on your bedside table while you are sleeping is not in accordance with the law. You may want to consider purchasing a small fast-opening lock box like a Gun Vault: http://gunvault.com/[/QUOTE]

If my gun is not on my hip it is in my safe. So I am MA compliant thank you guys for making this clear not only for myself but for all. I appreciate all of the knowledge on this forum. I just received my ALP class A in the first week of May.
Thank you

Last edited:
I keep mine on my hip. When I sleep it's next to the bed.

Locks have no place on home defense firearms unless you have small children.

+1 My gun lock for my home gun is my front door. I dont want to be screwing around with locks when some dirtbag is kicking down my door. Always within reach when I am at home. If I carry I have it and if I dont, it is locked in my house (read castle). Screw this anal lock crap thought up by ma**h*** legislators.

Another plug for the GunVault. I have purposefully opened mine at least once a day for 3 months to test function and reliability. It's opened every time. I can pop it open in and have my hand on a firearm in a little over one second. I do plan on getting a second one for the sake of redundancy.

I really like this product and actually can't see why you wouldn't use a system like it for storage of HD weapons. If the BG can get to me in under a second, then I wouldn't have time to reach for an unlocked gun on a night table anyway. I'm always in compliance with the law, and my 3 year old or anyone else for that matter can't get to the weapon.

It's a win/win. I think many of the doubters here would be surprised at how quickly you can access the GunVault with 10 minutes of practice. Even if the MA safe storage laws were not in effect I would still use them to store my HD guns.

It's just overkill and cynical on your part to think that people here don't know about the basic Massachusetts laws we were forced to memorize to be worthy to own guns.

It's cool man really
[wink]

abomb60, MANY of the people who read this forum have no clue what the laws are. That's why they come here. How many times have we seen people surprised to find out their "Lifetime" FID card no longer exists.

It's great that people like M1911 and others take the time to make sure newbies don't get in trouble.

Why act like such a know-it-all on other peoples affairs. It should be obvious to you that Gun laws, and especially Mass gun laws, are confusing and need to be constantly reviewed for changes that can effect you compliance with the law. Jeez! [rolleyes]

Personally, I keep my gun on me at all times, and when it's time to sleep, I attach a MA approved trigger lock, and promptly duct tape my gun to my genitals. That way I know where it is, and no one will be able to get it from me without severe resistance (tape glue attached to hair). I think this should cover me!

Adam, no offense, but I think you miss the intent of the law by just a hair! [smile]

For those of you who lock their home defense guns in safes do you have two safes with a gun in each in case the first safe fails to open?

Derek et al: The following is a partial post I recently wrote on the S&W forum when the subject of defense guns in the home was being discussed. This is a national Forum, so there are many different laws. This is how I explained how I keep my guns. [smile]

Posted 24 June 2008 06:31 PM Hide Post
As soon as I wake up in the morning I take my 442 out of the safe and put it in my pocket or on top of my night stand. As soon as I have pants on the 442 and Mika pocket holster goes in my pocket and stays there until I take my pants off at night.

Since I am in Mass, and by law am required to keep all guns locked when I sleep, I keep a digital handgun safe beside my bed, secured to the floor and wall with bolts and cable. In two or three seconds I can have a fully loaded Colt 45 with 10 round power mag of Hydra Shock, or a fully loaded Hi-Power. Extra mags for both guns are in the safe, along with my 442.

I also keep a quick open key in the handgun safe connected to a big rubber ball so I can find it easily in the dark. That key will open a long gun safe in the bedroom. In there is an AR Bushmaster .223 with 20 round mag installed, with extra loaded mags in a plastic bag rubber banded to the stock, and a couple of pump shotguns with bags of shells rubber banded to the barrel.

I have a dog, alarms, motion sensor light. In my bedroom is a cell phone and electronic ear muffs and Flashlight. (And a K-Bar, but that's for light work, big spiders and stuff for the wife. )

I've planted around my house with Beach Roses, very thick with lots of thorns, and my house backs up to a lake.

My baseball bat is by the front door as are my well used Nunchuckas and Bo.

OC spray is on my key chain, right beside the bed.

I thought I was in good shape until I read Gator Farmers post. I sure wish I didn't have to lock up my guns at night. Maybe the Heller case will help change that in Massachusetts.

Oh, like Gator Farmer, I have a reason for all that stuff. Several violent encounters with neighborhood thugs over the years have taught me this lesson. And I live in a pretty rural and safe area. Last time I called the police, the response time was 1 hour and 28 minutes. (Budget cuts have killed our public services)

Back to Derek at NES
I keep my combo locks one digit from open, unless I have a quick open key setting. If that is the case I have an extra set of keys attached to large rubber balls (or square nerf balls so I can tell them apart), just in case my quick open digital safe doesn't open. [smile] R_I_G_H_T_! [wink]

Last edited:
I've never seen you on a firing line. Nor have you seen me on a firing line. So how am I to know what is clearly obvious to you and what is not?

M1911, I'm still with you. FOOPED was noticed at the NES shoot in Mansfield to have.... how should I put this..... Somewhat RELAXED safety habits. Some of them included "sweeping" other shooters as he used his guns.

More than one person related this to me.

Sorry Fooped, nothing personal.

And for M1911, +1

Last edited:
abomb60, MANY of the people who read this forum have no clue what the laws are. That's why they come here. How many times have we seen people surprised to find out their "Lifetime" FID card no longer exists.

It's great that people like M1911 and others take the time to make sure newbies don't get in trouble.

Why act like such a know-it-all on other peoples affairs. It should be obvious to you that Gun laws, and especially Mass gun laws, are confusing and need to be constantly reviewed for changes that can effect you compliance with the law. Jeez! [rolleyes]

I realize now that not everyone paid attention during the mandated safety course where storage was taught and reviewed ad nauseam. You are correct in that the laws here are confusing and need to be beaten into the heads of many here.

And if you notice a few posts back I apologized to M1911 for being a tool to him so i'd appreciate you not trying to dig this back up.

Thanks.

- Adam

abomb60 I didn't mean to stir it up either. I just got back from vacation and had to catch up on an 11 page thread at the time.

Welcome to the forum Abomb.

Last edited:
Well...first, I am not so sure that everyone knows the storage laws. We get some pretty incredulous posts from time to time on things that we think "everyone" knows. It is dangerous to assume.

Second, threads like these are somewhat dicey because if someone is not in total compliance with the Massachusetts storage law, then they are in effect incriminating themselves by stating that they are not in compliance with it. It matters not, that people are using a screen identity. If there were people in law enforcement who deemed this website as a "website of interest" (the police are finally catching on to that concept, although it has taken a very long time, the younger officers tend to be computer literate and regard the computer as a tool to be used, not a tool to be feared or ignored) then they would see that people are openly stating they violate the law, and this might bring about more interest. (Please don't go on a diatribe about how the police should be busy catching "real" criminals. In their collective eyes, anyone who knowlingly (or unknowingly) breaks the law is a criminal, and it is easier to go after people like us than the neighborhood gang-banger.)

Third, 1911 is merely trying to point out that some of the incriminating statements (that's what they are) made by people on this thread are exactly that and those practices are illegal. It is a good thing for someone to point that out. He is not trying to be preachy or self-righteous, he is merely applying a little CYA to our forum.

Now this is going to ruffle some feathers, I'm sure. We all know that the law sucks and is totally unrealistic...but why advertise the fact that you may not be in compliance? The internet is forever, and everything you ever write is going to be "out there" for a long, long, time.

Since I don't answer personal questions on internet forums (I might volunteer information but that is my choice), and I regard how I store my personal defense firearm a personal question, my answer is: none of your business and leave it at that.

With respect to all,

Mark L.

AGREED!!! Take it from someone that is in technology. Everyone of you whom thinks that being on any message board offers you some anonymity think again. It would take anyone in law enforcement only minutes to collect information from NES and its service providers with a warrant. Your ip address is registered and nothing your say online is "anonymous"

Whatever your actual procedures are at home, do not post anything on an open forum detailing that you are breaking the law, no matter how you feel about that law.

M1911, I'm still with you. FOOPED was noticed at the NES shoot in Mansfield to have.... how should I put this..... Somewhat RELAXED safety habits. Some of them included "sweeping" other shooters as he used his guns.

More than one person related this to me.

Sorry Fooped, nothing personal.

And for M1911, +1

Really? While having these "relaxed" gun handling habits is not acceptable or excusable, I pride myself on being very aware of the four rules and doing my absolute best to follow them. Interesting that NO ONE mentioned anything to me regarding this matter, which I would deem to be very serious. I have been shooting for many years and take pride and concern in my surroundings and fellow shooters. This is the first I've heard of such concerns, and while I don't take issue to being called out on a supposed safety violation, I definitely take umbrage to not having it brought to my attention directly so for one, if this was occurring I could take the immediate steps to correct it and make my fellow shooters not feel uncomfortable in any way.

Are you sure you've got the right guy? I ask this in all seriousness as I'm hyper-aware of muzzle direction and sweeping, especially with a packed range where there are even more positions where the gun is not pointed in a safe direction.

You also say "Some of them..." What else did I do?

I'm scratching my head on this one for sure. Those who shot alongside me that day I imagine would attest to my handling my firearms in a safe and responsible manner.

Moreover, not to overshadow any safety issues, but what I had posted wasn't about range ettiquette but the drill and safe storage concepts being discussed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by depicts
M1911, I'm still with you. FOOPED was noticed at the NES shoot in Mansfield to have.... how should I put this..... Somewhat RELAXED safety habits. Some of them included "sweeping" other shooters as he used his guns."

More than one person related this to me.Really? While having these "relaxed" gun handling habits is not acceptable or excusable, I pride myself on being very aware of the four rules and doing my absolute best to follow them. Interesting that NO ONE mentioned anything to me regarding this matter, which I would deem to be very serious. I have been shooting for many years and take pride and concern in my surroundings and fellow shooters. This is the first I've heard of such concerns, and while I don't take issue to being called out on a supposed safety violation, I definitely take umbrage to not having it brought to my attention directly so for one, if this was occurring I could take the immediate steps to correct it and make my fellow shooters not feel uncomfortable in any way.

Are you sure you've got the right guy? I ask this in all seriousness as I'm hyper-aware of muzzle direction and sweeping, especially with a packed range where there are even more positions where the gun is not pointed in a safe direction.

You also say "Some of them..." What else did I do?

I'm scratching my head on this one for sure. Those who shot alongside me that day I would imagine attest to my handling my firearms in a safe and responsible manner.

Moreover, not to overshadow any safety issues, but what I had posted wasn't about range ettiquette but the drill and safe storage concepts being discussed.

Seconded. While I was not at the Mansfield shoot I would have to think that depicts has the wrong guy. I have never know Greg to have anything remotely resembing relaxed safety habits.

Fooped. one of the reasons I did post that was to give you a heads up.

I do know who I'm talking about.

Some people just stay away when they notice bad habits, and some people speak up and tell you up front. It came up in context of how you were grandstanding about "IF I want to use a live pistol for a drill I will..." sort of crap.

M1911 tried gracefully to tell you it might be a good idea to use a safer plan for your "Drill"

Not only did you disagree with him, you disparaged him for his good intentions. No good deed goes unpunished!!

IF you've been noticed by other unquestionable sources as being limited in strict self-safety habits, maybe you're not the "Invincible" person you think you are.

I'm ex military, and we probably have the worst handling characteristics of most shooters. Lots of us had guns around us all the time, day and night. Things like sweeping, leaning on your gun muzzle, and people pointing guns at you while everyone is cleaning their gear is very common.

I don't mean to put you down, rather, to lift your awareness. I'm sorry if I should have just sent you a private E mail the minute I heard this. You'd think, and probably still DO think, "who the hell is this guy with the wise remarks." Well, how would you have taken it if I sent such an e mail out of the blue? And who's business is it anyway? It became my business when you started giving advice to people how to train, when you spoke out to M1911 who was only trying to help you.

I'm dropping out of this conversation now. I had been catching up on hundreds of posts I missed while I was at the Smith & Wesson Collectors annual meeting. I guess I just spoke up this way trying to help. If you want to discuss this further, you can PM me or send me e-mail.

I do NOT think I'm invincible. I'll be sure to be even more careful in the future in regards to safe handling habits, since apparently I sweep other shooters with my firearms.

My awareness has been lifted, that's for sure.

Gun Vaults with those sweet finger things cost half my 'stimulus' check, which I still have not received! Wow! I use a safe for my handguns, and disassemble my rifles by removing the bolt/firing pin system.

My safe is really easy to use, and has both key access (which I disable when I am in the home) and a keypad. I suppose if I can dial 911 I can operate a keypad. At least I hope!

I wonder if a gun under the pillow your head rests upon is considered 'direct control'? Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom