• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How do you lock your home gun?

In talking with some friends on this issue, I got about six different answers, so it occurred to me to ask it here. For the pistol that you would keep handy in your home for home defense, do you keep a trigger lock on it all the time? (Let's assume this is a home without children.) If you left your home, say to go out for an evening where you don't want to carry, do you leave it unlocked in your home where a potential thief could get his hands on it and end up causing trouble for you?Or do you stop and get it back in the safe with the others? In Florida I find people very loose about leaving them around the house in drawers etc, and in their car. I keep them locked all the time except at night, but sometimes can get to be a pain.

Get a quick access safe. They're great and make it convenient to lock up the bedside gun when you leave. I have the GunVault and I love it. It'll hold 2 hand guns without the shelf even in it. Highly recommended for the bedroom needing quick access storage

trigger lock on the mossberg to satisfy the necessary and sensible law. However I feel as though this is something that we have a real chance of getting changed per a favorable heller decision

When I am at home my sidearm is in a holster, unlocked, loaded (1 in chamber double action mode) often in the living room on top of the TV which means that it is on the far side of me from the door. When I go to sleep it I move it to my bedside table. When I leave the house I take it with me. If I can't I leave it trigger locked in a quick access safe (Trigger locked just to make life harder for someone who breaks into my house and rips the safe from it's mount and steals it).

Now, I have no children, there are no children (neighbors kids) allowed in my house and I don't often have guests. If I have guests of any type I usually lock my sidearm in the safe sans trigger lock, loaded, 1 in the chamber.

When I am at home my sidearm is in a holster, unlocked, loaded (1 in chamber double action mode) often in the living room on top of the TV which means that it is on the far side of me from the door.

FYI, if you leave your living room while the gun is on the TV, you are likely in violation of MGL Chapter 140 Section 131l

FYI, if you leave your living room while the gun is on the TV, you are likely in violation of MGL Chapter 140 Section 131l

Yes, I know. I should have had my net filter/reminder on which would have helped me to remember that:

"whenever I leave the living room I dutifully put the holster back on my belt thus securing the weapon on my person in accordance with the regulations governing the proper storage of a firearm in the state of MA."

[grin] silly me. I was mistaken about my own behavior, must be getting old.

So which gun vault is everyone getting? The standard mini, the two tier standard or the deluxe which reads your prints? I have wondered how those hold up over time. (The fingerprint reader)
It is interesting to see (with the exception of the forums) how many people are really not aware of how Mass law reads on this issue. Someone should probably post an abbreviated and easy to read version at some point.[grin]

So which gun vault is everyone getting? The standard mini, the two tier standard or the deluxe which reads your prints? I have wondered how those hold up over time. (The fingerprint reader)
It is interesting to see (with the exception of the forums) how many people are really not aware of how Mass law reads on this issue. Someone should probably post an abbreviated and easy to read version at some point.[grin]

Check this thread out

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36657&highlight=fingerprint+safe

Last edited:
I leave my gun (the only one I own, everything else fell overboard) unloaded with a trigger lock in my safe, with the ammo in another safe and the mags in yet another. I know that if a criminal broke in, they'd understand the MGL's and would give me a chance to arm myself.

There are a ton of threads about the fingerprint technology safes. If you search you'll find them.

I leave my gun (the only one I own, everything else fell overboard) unloaded with a trigger lock in my safe, with the ammo in another safe and the mags in yet another. I know that if a criminal broke in, they'd understand the MGL's and would give me a chance to arm myself.

I'm not trying to tell people what to do or to judge them in any way. Nor am I trying to defend the law. I'm just trying to make sure that folks understand the storage law so that they don't accidentally violate it.

I'm not trying to tell people what to do or to judge them in any way. Nor am I trying to defend the law. I'm just trying to make sure that folks understand the storage law so that they don't accidentally violate it.

For the record. I got that from your post. I'm generally the first person to feel "unduly inconvenienced" by the Gendarme, but in this case your comments came across as instructive rather than obtrusive.

You guys have guns? [shocked]

Quick access handgun safe in the bedroom. I can stumble my way over to it in the dark and open it within a few seconds. If that's not fast enough, then I'm probably screwed either way. Only downside (and I believe this is the norm): when the batteries die, you need the key to open it up and replace them.

I'd been trying to find a way to legally store my shotgun (my preferred home at-home protection device) in such a way as to make it at least as easily accessible as the safe, but no luck. I did buy one of these for the closet, but while it's functional and solid, I just don't trust myself with a key lock, because (a) I tend to leave my keys downstairs, and (b) I doubt I could operate a lock as fast as a quick safe. I ended up giving up on the shotgun, which is now relegated to shooting at clays.

Safe

When I had no children, I had a double barrel under the bed with shells handy, (that was pre-98). I have two children at home, so for a long time now the guns have been locked up unloaded in the Browning safe downstairs. Totally useless in the event of a home invasion.

Kids are older now and they know about guns and safety enough to know not to touch a safe near my bed. I've been considering a bedside quick access safe for a while now to put the Glocks in......that's probably what I'm getting.

Om my bed stand all night. and if I get up to go to the bathroom, My girlfriends LTC takes over for a minute.

that all assumes that you can make a convincing argument that a gun is still under your control when you are asleep. I would say you cannot argue that successfully, but you never truly know until you have to try and make it...

Back
Top Bottom