How do you lock your home gun?

Personally, I keep my gun on me at all times, and when it's time to sleep, I attach a MA approved trigger lock, and promptly duct tape my gun to my genitals. That way I know where it is, and no one will be able to get it from me without severe resistance (tape glue attached to hair). I think this should cover me!

TMI

And the visuals you paint do not make for a pretty picture! [shocked]

But you better ask Scriv if he thinks that your method meets the intent of the law? [rofl]

Long guns in safe, most pistols in safe, except that day's carry gun(s). At night, one pistol sleeps in bed (old habit, not for everyone, I realize).

Personally, I keep my gun on me at all times, and when it's time to sleep, I attach a MA approved trigger lock, and promptly duct tape my gun to my genitals. That way I know where it is, and no one will be able to get it from me without severe resistance (tape glue attached to hair). I think this should cover me!

[laugh2]

I thought I'd never conceive of a scenario where I'd want to use a trigger lock, but you've just come up with one. God help the poor bugger who chooses the duct tape method without the trigger lock and goes for a midnight scratch!

EC1..your signature states that you are an instructor. Do you think that leaving the firearm next to your bed while you are sleeping satisfies the "being in control" requirement. Is this what you are recommending when you teach?

That law is bullshit and you know it.

Keep your home protection gun in a safe or trigger locked up somewhere.

We can run a test one night. I will come in and be at your bedside before you wake up and un-secure your firearm. [grin]

And what happens if for any weird reason the lock refuses to open for you? Are you going to holler at the criminal "HEY, I couldn't help but notice you were pretty good at opening locks! Would you mind seeing if you could help me open this safe? I heard you coming in and I was going to arm myself and possibly kill you, but this darn safe won't open for the life of me! Thanks!" [rolleyes]

Two fast safes.

Also, my place is so cluttered that the guy will be cursing and swearing long before he can make it to my bedroom.

I use a V-line. Got little kids...needs to be locked up. Mechanical lock that I can open in two seconds in the dark. No batteries to maintain or die.

I guess if a capable ex-marine gets in my house and next to my bed without me waking up I am F-d. But, I am light sleeper (kids will do that to you) and my only staircase is so squeaky it is impossible to ascend them quietly. Nice cheap building perk.

He's a thought. If, perchance, you live alone and keep your defensive weapon "available" on the table, bedside, on top of tv etc. How is anyone ever going to know unless you employ it ? Shoud that happen, you, my friend, now have more pressing issues.

But in all seriousness- It's 10 minutes later; the BG is dead on the floor, and the cops are introducing themselves in their typical "gregarious" manner. Eventually they'll ask where was your gun was. At that point, will you say "wide open, loaded, sans trigger lock on the table or are you gonna say, right on the table with a secured trigger lock that I keep 1 digit away from open?

In the end the dead guy on your floor will be the popular topic of conversation I believe.
Eh, I could be wrong. Hopefully, I'll never know.

Bottom line, any entity which values your life so little that it would put the letter of the law above your life, deserves no respect whatsoever! The foundation of respect in honesty. If you merit no respect, your get no honesty...nuff said.

Last edited:
Especially seeing how your house is protected 24/7 by those viscous attack kittens of yours! [smile]

This is my weapon, this is my gun...this one's for shooting, this one's for fun. As long as you got that straight - sounds like a good plan, Adam!![laugh]

That law is bullshit and you know it.

Derek....absolutely the law is bullshit. But it is still the law. My comment has to do with people who are responsible for teaching others or those who are in a position of authority. One should be teaching the correct laws..whether you agree with them or not.

Derek....absolutely the law is bullshit. But it is still the law. My comment has to do with people who are responsible for teaching others or those who are in a position of authority. One should be teaching the correct laws..whether you agree with them or not.

+1

This entire state is bullshit.

Tell me about it. I was shooting with some folks from NH tonight in NH. They couldn't believe our laws. The weren't convinced that their 17 round G34 mags were so much more dangerous than my 10 rounders. [rolleyes] That and the fact that even if they were going to a match in MA... they would be felons for bringing in their dangerous hicap mags.... yeah... they were ribbing me good. Oh... and one of them had their HK P30... that I can't get here in MA. Sucks.

Yes of course inform the students of the MA laws. Also let them know that the law will also make them dead if there is a home invasion. [wink]

How many of you that keep your guns trigger locked or stored in a safe have redundancy?

Last edited:
One of the attorneys on this site has said that when you are asleep a gun on the side table next to you is NOT under your control. I accept his legal opinion on this matter. YMMV.

right. so you and I are actually in agreement. I personally dont think you could make the argument that it is under your control while you are asleep, now we have something to back it up

Especially seeing how your house is protected 24/7 by those viscous attack kittens of yours! [smile]

Yeah those attack kittens are really mean :) I think if anyone breaks in i'm just going to run down the street and have you protect me [smile]

I'd also like to apologize to M1911 for getting a bit out of hand back there. You were just stating the law and I shouldn't have jumped all over you like that. My bad man.

I have a 9 pound feral cat I trapped last week in the basement healing from being neutered. God help anyone that breaks in and comes face to face with him. I was wearing welder's gloves and moving him into a carrier to clean his cage and had to check the glove to see if he punctured it. It hurt that bad through the glove.

The Supreme Court’s ruling

This was copied and pasted not written by me. so does this mean that in MA we dont have to have the trigger lock anymore? I keep mine in a safe anyway but I dont like the fact when I buy a gun they make me buy a trigger lock.

The Supreme Court’s ruling that Americans have a right to own guns for self-defense and hunting was the opening shot in what will be a long legal and legislative battle over exactly how strictly cities and states can regulate firearms, advocates and elected officials said Thursday. It also struck down Washington’s requirement that firearms be equipped with trigger locks or kept disassembled, but it left intact the licensing of guns, and it upheld longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons or the mentally ill.

Back
Top Bottom