• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hints for Gunshop Owners

Could be, came from "Mike" at the Ware Gun Shop. One of the reasons I plan on avoiding that place.

Not having been there, I will withhold further comment. Except to note that it's the sort of drivel one would expect to hear at a certain location on Rte. 9 East in Shrewsbury............. [wink]

Not having been there, I will withhold further comment. Except to note that it's the sort of drivel one would expect to hear at a certain location on Rte. 9 East in Shrewsbury............. [wink]

I guess everyone has their chance to give bad advice. I recently overheard
a customer and an employee at a (the?) most highly regarded shop around
commiserating about the fact that it was illegal to carry a pistol with more than
10 rounds in it in Boston. Huh?

a customer and an employee at a (the?) most highly regarded shop around commiserating about the fact that it was illegal to carry a pistol with more than

Must be why they all carry LeMats in Beantown... [rolleyes]

commiserating about the fact that it was illegal to carry a pistol with more than

I believe that Boston residents are not allowed to carry large cap mags in their firearms. I seem to remember that from somewhere, but I can't remember. That's a local ordinance from what I understand. It does not, I believe, apply to MA residents that live outside of the PR of Boston.

FYI

commiserating about the fact that it was illegal to carry a pistol with more than 10 rounds in it in Boston. Huh?

That is a misinterpretation of the Boston Assault Weapons ban, which actually does not apply to handguns.

If I'm not mistaken (Scriv?), by law they have to show you how to break it down and reassemble it.

I have never heard that before. Do you know what chapter and section that is written under? I would be curious to know for future reference.

Thanks

Shepherd, I know its on the form that they make you sign and initial about 30 times:) It specifically says that you have been shown how to break it down. This form also asks if you have been convicted of felonys, admitted to the funny farm, do drugs, buying this for yourself, place of birth and so on..you get the point! Hope this helps as I know its not a MGL reference.
JMJ

Shepherd/JmasterJ,

I think this is one of the AG's rules . . . otherwise it's an "unfair consumer practice" (MGL Ch. 93A) to sell a handgun. . . according to the AG.

--------

To others:

The text of the Boston ban is both referenced here on NES (Gun Laws sub-forum) and probably posted (the actual text). Do some searching and you might be able to answer the mag question. I've done all I could to totally ignore the Boston Bans, and purposely know nothing further about them!

How about, "Be nice to the newbies!" I would think that a new shooter would be a very desirable customer for a gun shop; we're going to spend a lot of money to get going, we're very open to input and suggestions (i.e. sales) and we're easy to shape into a regular customer. I've spend nearly $2k in my first month as an LTC holder, but so far I get better customer service at Borders bookstore than I've gotten at the gun shops in the area (metrowest Boston). I'll admit that, as a new shooter, I don't know jack - which is all the more opportunity to educate me (to dwarven1's point).
I've wanted a 1911 since I was a kid - I plan on buying my first before the first week in March, as a birthday present to myself before. I don't care how far away from my house it is - if a shop can do a good job selling me my first 1911, it's going to have my business for a long, long time.

How about, "Be nice to the newbies!" I would think that a new shooter would be a very desirable customer for a gun shop; we're going to spend a lot of money to get going, we're very open to input and suggestions (i.e. sales) and we're easy to shape into a regular customer. I've spend nearly $2k in my first month as an LTC holder, but so far I get better customer service at Borders bookstore than I've gotten at the gun shops in the area (metrowest Boston). I'll admit that, as a new shooter, I don't know jack - which is all the more opportunity to educate me (to dwarven1's point).
I've wanted a 1911 since I was a kid - I plan on buying my first before the first week in March, as a birthday present to myself before. I don't care how far away from my house it is - if a shop can do a good job selling me my first 1911, it's going to have my business for a long, long time.

Have you been to Four Seasons in Woburn? They are located at 76 Winn Street. Great shop, informed staff, and quite friendly. Visit them on the web at www.fsguns.com.

I've spend nearly $2k in my first month as an LTC holder, but so far I get better customer service at Borders bookstore than I've gotten at the gun shops in the area (metrowest Boston). I'll admit that, as a new shooter, I don't know jack - which is all the more opportunity to educate me (to dwarven1's point).

Have you tried Northeast Trading? I was just there and Ted has a LARGE selection of 1911s at present - including a couple in .38 Super.

And he's much nicer than I am... [wink]

Last edited:
Gun shops go on pilgrimages?[rolleyes]

No, man, you got it backwards. Gun shops are inanimate. They cannot go anywhere, so, since the mountain cannot go to Mohammad, we Mohommads go to the mountain. (smile)

To show our devotion, some of us go on pilgrimages weekly!

Allow me, gentlemen.

Kendall-op, I think what you mean is that Four Seasons is the Mecca for gun owners in Massachussetts. Gun shops do not go on pilgrimmage; gun owners do.

Was that so hard, guys?

Lawyers. [rolleyes]

OK, now that you have the middle school question out of the way, can you explain the details of whether a permanent resident (that is, not a US citizen), can ever qualify for an LTC in MA?

For extra credit, can you explain, in detail, whether it is legal for someone without an FID card or LTC to possess black powder and caps? [wink]

Last edited:
OK, now that you have the middle school question out of the way, can you explain the details of whether a permanent resident (that is, not a US citizen), can ever qualify for an LTC in MA?

For extra credit, can you explain, in detail, whether it is legal for someone without an FID card or LTC to possess black powder and caps? [wink]

The answer to the first part is yes. Resident licenses can only be issued to US citizens (Ch. 140 §131(d)(v)); however, a permanent resident who lives in another state can get a non-resident LTC (Ch. 140 §131F). Therefore, all our resident alien need to do to get an LTC is to move to another state.

It would seem that Ch. 140 §129C(p) would exempt black powder and precussion caps, but since there may well be a "gotcha" hiding in some other section, I'll pass on the one.

Ken

Last edited:

You'd have to ask my lawyer. Darius Arbabi of Framingham, MA. Ask him about it. [smile]

Last edited:
1. Don't complain when a customer uses a credit card, you are the one that bought the scanner and pays a monthly fee to accept them.

2. Have change for when a customer pays with cash.

I ran into both of these problems at the same gunshop. [rolleyes]

You just

1. Don't complain when a customer uses a credit card, you are the one that bought the scanner and pays a monthly fee to accept them.

2. Have change for when a customer pays with cash.

I ran into both of these problems at the same gunshop. [rolleyes]

Nailed my hot button
that's why I don't deal with "certain" popular gun stores. It's a complete ripoff.
These guys sign a contract with the credit card companies so THEY can have the convenience of attracting credit card customers...then they charge the customers a surcharge in order to screw them. Well..SCREW THEM.
They can hide it and obfuscate all they want, but it's a scam and I don't care how "popular" these places are, they don't get my $ on paper or plastic

FYI
STATES THAT PROHIBIT CREDIT CARD SURCHARGES
The following states prohibit merchants from adding surcharges to credit card transactions

California
Colorado
Connecticut
Florida
Kansas
Maine
Massachusetts
New York
Oklahoma
Texas.

FYI
STATES THAT PROHIBIT CREDIT CARD SURCHARGES
The following states prohibit merchants from adding surcharges to credit card transactions

California
Colorado
Connecticut
Florida
Kansas
Maine
Massachusetts
New York
Oklahoma
Texas.

I know there's a certain gun shop that gives "discounts" for non-credit card transactions. I wonder how that fits in?

I know there's a certain gun shop that gives "discounts" for non-credit card transactions. I wonder how that fits in?

Yeh, I know who you mean. They even advertise the cash or check discount on their web page.[laugh]

Discounts for cash or checks is perfectly legal.

Surcharges for credit cards violates the Ts&Cs of the credit card companies. I am not sure of any state law about it however.

I have reported companies in the past that attached a surcharge for credit cards and action was taken against some of these companies.

Discounts for cash or checks is perfectly legal.
Len,
Same difference to me.
I know it's just a word game, but if their willing to sell something at a price, and then charge more for a CC than it looks the same to me.
Gary

Gary,

I AGREE with you 100%, the net result is the same. That's why any rule/law is dumb. To me, as long as they disclose UP FRONT what they are doing and are willing to take a check with ID, they are giving me a choice.

I remember (as a teenager) going into a camera store in RI that had a big sign "5% discount for cash". I bought some stuff and used cash instead of credit card to save the 5%! I use cc now almost exclusively, but if it will cost me more and they will take a check, I'm always prepared to pay that way (unless I want "transaction protection" by paying by credit card - e.g. buying from eBay, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom