Help from Boston Globe: Illegal Licensing!

Well so far he's called people that have right info, lets hope he puts it down on paper. It sounds at least as if he's doing some decent homework.

I hope I'm wrong, but I just cannot in my wildest dreams imagine the editors at the Globe allowing anything but a hatchet job on lawful gun owners.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong, but I was in the business for many years. It is standard operating procedure for reporters not to be up front with people about their motive and intent in order to obtain information.

If I were a Globe editor this would be my thought process:

I'm at a cocktail party sucking up to Mumbles and he starts in again on illegal guns on the street and how we (The Globe) should lead a campaign against guns. We think that is a pretty good idea and Mumbles reminds us that there are several police chiefs in the area who have taken it upon themselves to make an end run around the obviously lax statutes that allow citizens to own guns.

This is getting to be a better story every minute.

At the next editorial meeting all the other editors agree that it is an important editorial campaign. We start making assignments. A reporter is selected to do the front story. One of the editors is selected to do a companion editorial that will run the same day as the story. (We can go ahead and write that because we know what our position is going to be).

The reporter is assigned to create a database of all the towns in MA where heroic chiefs are taking a stand against the insanity of lawful gun ownership. We pick this particular reporter because he is good at putting together databases. He is the one who created the priest abuse database earlier in the century. He is assigned to interview the chiefs and get some great quotes about how it is all for the children and how there is nothing wrong with violating an immoral law in order to saves lives, etc.

We also assign our graphics person to create a companion chart showing the low crime rates for "selected" towns where the heroic chiefs are ignoring the immoral law, thereby buttressing our argument that it is the only way of reducing crime and must, by state mandate (preferably Executive decree) be expanded to every community.

We then go to Beacon Hill and get supporting quotes from some of the usual suspects. We expect the Governor will want to weigh in on this as well. To humanize the piece we'll have another team of reporters go through the crime stats of every town that issues Class A LTCs and find at least one mother of a shooting victim we can interview and she will say that if only that police chief had had the courage to stand up and be counted, little Jesus would still be alive today. Maybe we could even suggest to her that she organize a rally on Beacon Hill to get the TV stations out.

Boy, this is really coming together nicely.

Oh yeah, I guess we should get a quote from a gun nut or two. We can throw that in at the end somewhere so they can't accuse of us of being biased. Try to get one of them to say something like "when they pry my cold dead fingers" or that type of thing. Shouldn't be too hard. For visuals let's get some really nice head shots of the heroic chiefs complete in uniform and then send a photog out to one of those gun nut clubs and grab a shot of biker-looking type with an automatic assault rifle. That should be good. Front page of course. Let's hold it for Sunday for the circulation impact.

Well, am I a hopeless media cynic or what??[wink]

PS This actually had paragraphs when I wrote it

Last edited by a moderator:
My only question is what is the relationship between Peter Dowd and Yankee Artifacts? (since YA is run out of the former Village Guns which is attached to Peter Dowd's place. I'll be very unhappy if I find out that I've been supporting Mr Dowd by buying at YA.)

Check the Worcester Area yellow pages under guns. They list Peter Dowd/Village Gun Shop in one ad.

I hate to say I told you so, but...
trap-seal.jpg

There is no good that can come from a Liberal Communist Rag digging into which specific town busts gun owners in the chops and which one gives an LTC-A without breaking a sweat. The lawful gun owners are going to get buggered here...

Again...hate to say it... News Shooter seems right on.

Thanks Jim, I was actually going to do it tonight. BTW..nobody here wants me to be wrong more than I want me to be wrong

Indeed. We'd all love to see the Globe do a full, fair and comprehensive story on the arbitrary and abusive licensing system we presently suffer under.

Few expect it to. And the expectations are based upon a well-remembered history of Globe hysteria and bias.

Globe

Indeed. We'd all love to see the Globe do a full, fair and comprehensive story on the arbitrary and abusive licensing system we presently suffer under.

Few expect it to. And the expectations are based upon a well-remembered history of Globe hysteria and bias.
Yup. Should be interesting.

My apologies if information about Fall River may have been previously posted in this thread (I haven't read the whole thing), but I was doing a little online research this morning and stumbled across the Fall River Police Firearms Licensing web page. Quoting from the linked page:

A Police Department that gladly wipes its ass with the second amendment said:
If this is the first time you are applying for a License to Carry Firearms

You must bring with you:

• Your driver's license for identification and proof of residency.
  • Application fee of $100.00, check or money order only, made payable to The City of Fall River.
  • You must complete a Massachusetts approved firearms-training course, and bring a copy of your training certificate. The Massachusetts hunter safety course is approved training.
  • A letter requesting a License to Carry Firearms. In this letter state the reasons why you are requesting a License to Carry Firearms.
  • Three letters of reference from sources other than relatives. Be sure to include the name, address and phone number of the person giving the reference.
  • Proof of membership at a Rod and Gun Club.

The Fall River Police Department issues Licenses to Carry Firearms with the following restrictions. Un-restricted licenses have additional requirements.

Target and Hunting
No additional requirements

Protection While Employed
You must submit a letter from your employer on official letterhead stating that it is a condition of your employment that you carry a firearm during the performance of your duties.

All-Lawful Purposes
You must clearly demonstrate a need for an all-lawful purposes license. This should be stated in your letter requesting a License to Carry Firearms. If the basis for the request is because of threats, then proper court documentation and/or police reports must be submitted. Deposit slips would be required for carrying large amounts of cash. Etc.

This crap really pisses me off. The implication is that you have the right, maybe, to protect yourself only after you have been overtly threatened. Or that you can defend yourself while in the employ of others, but not when you are on your own time.

Last edited:
Haverhill requires your submit a letter from your employer to obtain an LTC-A.

So does SPFLD, they will issue Class A but they're restricted to Target and Hunting unless you have a letter from your employer.[rolleyes]

They also require your social security # even though it says optional on the application.[thinking]

So does SPFLD, they will issue Class A but they're restricted to Target and Hunting unless you have a letter from your employer.[rolleyes]

They also require your social security # even though it says optional on the application.[thinking]

Anyone looking for a job as a consultant? [rofl] I'll put you on my Payroll. [wink]

Last edited:
My apologies if information about Fall River may have been previously posted in this thread (I haven't read the whole thing), but I was doing a little online research this morning and stumbled across the Fall River Police Firearms Licensing web page. Quoting from the linked page:

This crap really pisses me off. The implication is that you have the right, maybe, to protect yourself only after you have been overtly threatened. Or that you can defend yourself while in the employ of others, but not when you are on your own time.

The proof of membership in a gun club is one of the biggest bunches of BS on there (other than of course that you have to have already been murdered to be considered someone in need of A-ALP). My club cost $300 to join, and from what I can tell a lot of others are upwards of $200. What if you spent that money on your gun club membership and then had your license denied or neutered to the point it's barely worth having?

The only fight GOAL and all of us should be concentrating on in MA is making this shit bag state shall issue for ALP.

The proof of membership in a gun club is one of the biggest bunches of BS on there (other than of course that you have to have already been murdered to be considered someone in need of A-ALP). My club cost $300 to join, and from what I can tell a lot of others are upwards of $200. What if you spent that money on your gun club membership and then had your license denied or neutered to the point it's barely worth having?

The only fight GOAL and all of us should be concentrating on in MA is making this shit bag state shall issue for ALP.

I agree that we should be concentrating on making MA a SHALL ISSUE state but; (and not that I think you SHOULD HAVE TO) belonging to a Fish and Game Club - AKA - "Gun Club" can be more than all about getting a LTC.

Even if you sign up for a Membership and pay the fee's, they can (and most of the time are) more about the sport than obtaining a LTC.

I signed up for the membership even though it's not required by my city.

I agree that we should be concentrating on making MA a SHALL ISSUE state but; (and not that I think you SHOULD HAVE TO) belonging to a Fish and Game Club - AKA - "Gun Club" can be more than all about getting a LTC.

Even if you sign up for a Membership and pay the fee's, they can (and most of the time are) more about the sport than obtaining a LTC.

I signed up for the membership even though it's not required by my city.

I agree. I belong to a club not because it's required, but because i want to have a place to shoot.

Back
Top Bottom