Help from Boston Globe: Illegal Licensing!

My town requires 3 character letters from non family members and I had to write one of my own stating why I wanted and LTC.

What town is that?

Weymouth. Its right on the application. My buddy did it shortly after me and had to do the same thing. I don't get it because other towns that border me don't have to go thru half of what I do and they get their LTC A unrestricted w/o issues. This is all if you have a clean background check. I don't see how that is fair at all. The licensing officer in my town seemed pretty cool though based on our meeting.

I spoke to that reporter, and I tried to tell him about the huge issue of the police departments restricting the licenses so that the LTC-A was actuallly not a license to carry at all. I told him that that was a huge loophole because people had no legal recourse, since the license was not techincally "denied", and yet they now had
no legal right to carry concealed, and no appeal process because there was no denial of license.

But he somehow managed to omit that very critical issue while going into brain-deadening detail about other vastly less important licensing issues.

holy_thread_resurrection_batman.jpg

As I've stated in a few other posts, Waltham requires 3 letters of reference from non-family members (though a Captain told me "They don't even read the letters", so one from my sister-in-law from NH would be fine) - and they must be typed out and have the persons name, address, birthdate and phone number on them.
If applying for an unrestricted class A you must also submit a letter to the chief explaining your reasons for the request.

As I've stated in a few other posts, Waltham requires 3 letters of reference from non-family members (though a Captain told me "They don't even read the letters", so one from my sister-in-law from NH would be fine) - and they must be typed out and have the persons name, address, birthdate and phone number on them.
If applying for an unrestricted class A you must also submit a letter to the chief explaining your reasons for the request.

I'd pay for a lawyer's services before jumping through those flaming hoops. That's all a bunch of BS.

Weymouth only issues an unrestricted LTC is you have a letter from your employer stating that you need to carry on the job.

What town is that?

I had to do that in Worcester.

They had to be on business letterhead I believe for the references...I did write a glowing review on myself though.I put down all my military experience,I think that helped getting my class A,especially since just moving here from CA at the time.

Last edited:
Matt Carroll from the Boston Globe is reviewing all of the paperwork GOAL sent to the Attorney General's office. If your local police department requires that any of the following accompany your application for an LTC or FID, please call Matt at 781.826.1053 or email him at [email protected]

Examples of Illegal Licensing Activities:
Requiring written references
Requiring you belong to a gun club
Requiring a note from your doctor for reasons other than described in the statute.
Charging more than the $100 fee
Using an application other than the one required by law. This includes any additional waivers or releases.
Requiring additional training for renewals
If renewing your LTC in a new town it is not procedure to require a letter from the previous town's Police Chief stating there were no problems that might indicate you are an unsuitable person for the renewal.

Got this in an email, as I'm sure most of you did!

Since I alread provided this information to GOAL along time ago, there's probably no need to do it again to the Boston Globe Democrat since my information would probably be contained therein.

Back
Top Bottom