• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Head Scratcher of an Article on "Gun Running" into MA on TFB

Thirwell1216

NES Member
I still am trying to understand what this article is all about. In fact it makes a totally legal transaction look like a poor man's james bond novel. I really don't understand why this kid just didn't buy a 10/22 in MA. Nothing illegal about them here. No discussion of post-ban hi-cap mags. He takes a train to Plaistow to get a 10/22 then boards the commuter rail and takes pics of it....

Crossing The Border – The Logistics Of Running Guns with TFB

Crossing The Border - The Logistics Of Running Guns with TFB

9-So-far-so-good.jpg

I'm calling bullshit.

A) Its a known fact on this forum that most of the gun stores on the border (like say Nashua and south) will sell to Mass residents. Especially guns like 10/22s. He claims every store told him to FOAD but the more realistic percentage would be like 80% "come on down!" versus 20% FOAD.
B) He's a dumbass because he ignored being able to go on the commuter rail into RI and buy a gun in RI. A RI store would've either shipped the gun to his FFL in VA or let him pick it up in seven days. If he's a college student, he should've waited to return to VA to buy the gun.
C) He's a dumbass again for getting "a Master's in Criminology" when he could be in Mass getting a law degree that would actually allow him to be a prosecutor, ya know, a lawyer, rather than... what? DEA? ATF? Border Patrol?

What is this shop, we need to verify the veracity of this story:

5-redacted.jpg

Mom’s smuggling story was better:

Some time in 1958, she decided to buy her fiancé the gun he always wanted, but couldn’t afford; a Winchester 94. She hopped on the train in Westchester and took it to NYC. Took the subway to lower Manhattan and walked into the sporting goods store. Plunked down $67.98 and walked out with a brand new rifle. Took the subway to the train station and took the train to Westchester, all with the boxed gun on her lap.

Nobody called SWAT

I still am trying to understand what this article is all about. In fact it makes a totally legal transaction look like a poor man's james bond novel. I really don't understand why this kid just didn't buy a 10/22 in MA. Nothing illegal about them here. No discussion of post-ban hi-cap mags. He takes a train to Plaistow to get a 10/22 then boards the commuter rail and takes pics of it....

Because it's pretty obvious he's a "foreigner" visiting MA w/no LTC/FID and doesn't understand MA bullshit laws, and somehow or another has convinced himself that what he did was legal... well most of it was, until he went back into MA with it....

-Mike

Because it's pretty obvious he's a "foreigner" visiting MA w/no LTC/FID and doesn't understand MA bullshit laws, and somehow or another has convinced himself that what he did was legal... well most of it was, until he went back into MA with it....

-Mike

A Master's is a two-year degree on average. Either be a Mass resident for two years or just wait to go home to buy all the guns you want. I was a college student in NH - I became a NH resident so I could vote properly in the 2016 election, buy guns in NH without an issue, and get a resident carry permit. With a FID, he wouldn't have to do any of this and would've been fine. Or just go with a LTC - ya know, do some research, move to a green town, get the LTC, buy whatever's legal to own in Mass.

I guess kids today can't resist a "good" story. This may haunt him later in his professional life. Facial recognition software is only improving by the day.

11-hands-off-my-raifu.jpg

A) Its a known fact on this forum that most of the gun stores on the border (like say Nashua and south) will sell to Mass residents. Especially guns like 10/22s. He claims every store told him to FOAD but the more realistic percentage would be like 80% "come on down!" versus 20% FOAD.

If you "talk too much" about being from MA, like this kid probably did, that 80% probably plummets to about 20%. People that ask too many "MA questions" send up
warning flags.

C) He's a dumbass again for getting "a Master's in Criminology" when he could be in Mass getting a law degree that would actually allow him to be a prosecutor, ya know, a lawyer, rather than... what? DEA? ATF? Border Patrol?

Judging from his lack of understanding of the laws maybe it's because he somehow innately knew that he's too dumb to get a law degree.

What is this shop, we need to verify the veracity of this story:

I know exactly what it is, but what's the point of bothering them about it? "Some kid with a VA DL came in and bought a 10/22. He passed the background check" Not exactly some kind of earth shattering thing. All of the drama was invented by this kid in his story.

A Master's is a two-year degree on average. Either be a Mass resident for two years or just wait to go home to buy all the guns you want. I was a college student in NH - I became a NH resident so I could vote properly in the 2016 election, buy guns in NH without an issue, and get a resident carry permit. With a FID, he wouldn't have to do any of this and would've been fine. Or just go with a LTC - ya know, do some research, move to a green town, get the LTC, buy whatever's legal to own in Mass.

I (and most of us here) know that, but it's pretty obvious the author is not a very deep thinker.

-Mike

Mom’s smuggling story was better:

Some time in 1958, she decided to buy her fiancé the gun he always wanted, but couldn’t afford; a Winchester 94. She hopped on the train in Westchester and took it to NYC. Took the subway to lower Manhattan and walked into the sporting goods store. Plunked down $67.98 and walked out with a brand new rifle. Took the subway to the train station and took the train to Westchester, all with the boxed gun on her lap.

Nobody called SWAT

did she buy it at Bannermans?
That place must have been something to see back in the day.
Bannerman's Castle: The ultimate Army-Navy store

I guess kids today can't resist a "good" story. This may haunt him later in his professional life.

Depends on how fast it stays up when someone inevitably tells him he's copping to several MA felonies, unless he has a nonres LTC or something... (doubtful)

-Mike

It doesn't matter if it's BS or not. The general public see it as a news story and will believe everything that's said in it. Firearm owners/collectors will never get a fair say with all the backing that the anti gun media gets. They can spew whatever they want at any time they want. I would love to see some nasty things happen to these propaganda pushers. We deserve a break once in a while instead of always losing something.

It doesn't matter if it's BS or not. The general public see it as a news story and will believe everything that's said in it. Firearm owners/collectors will never get a fair say with all the backing that the anti gun media gets. They can spew whatever they want at any time they want. I would love to see some nasty things happen to these propaganda pushers. We deserve a break once in a while instead of always losing something.

TFB is one of us. TFBTV does a lot of videos. This is like The Truth About Guns or InRange or Forgotten Weapons or Hickok45 coming up to Mass and doing an expose of how to violate Mass storage laws (disclaimer: I do not agree with Mass's gun laws).

TFB TV

What is TFBTV? -

I hear you on TFB...James is hysterical and I love their content. But, the optics stink when the uninformed start looking at this is as evidence of a "loophole." .....don't feed the beast. They are always hungry for meat.

So it was with a heavy heart that I redacted these wonderful men’s information so that the Wicked Witch of the Northeast can’t send them a threatening letter.

what is this guy, some sort of idiot? (EDIT: NVM, he admits to it in the 4th paragraph. [thinking])
Anybody with The Google can figure out the name of the store in about 5 minutes since he was dumb enough to post a picture of it....even in he "redacted" it in MS Paint.
Not that this particular shop would GAF, but if you're "protecting" something you sure as f*** dont take a picture of it.

the train selfie was the icing on the cake..

Last edited:
Depends on how fast it stays up when someone inevitably tells him he's copping to several MA felonies, unless he has a nonres LTC or something... (doubtful)

-Mike

Curious, where in MGL does it say that a non-res LTC would be needed for something like a 10-22? And for that matter, does MA issue non-res FIDs?

The closest I can find is a post from years ago here: Non-residents: Legal info on bringing guns into Mass. for competition or hunting

But the exceptions from needing a non-res LTC seem to only apply in the contexts of hunting, competitions, or transporting through the state. This guy seems to live here as a non-resident, so I'm 99% sure MGL prevents him from possessing the 10-22 here unless he gets a non-res LTC.

my take of the article, (it was somewhat all over the place), was that he has a non-resident LTC, but this does not allow him to purchase any guns in Mass? it was the last comment in the page that kind of clicked??????

-it was as follows from article:

"If anyone tells you “non-resident permits are way better than resident permits in Massachusetts” they are either lying or have a car. Additionally, there are a lot of FFLs within a hop skip and a jump of the New Hampshire state border that are scared stiff of Massachusetts."

thoughts?

I think this an attempt to tell a “cool” story ... but one he shouldn’t be telling anyone and it’s written in that cheap “gonzo” style used on the truth about guns that makes the stories too retarded to read anyways.

-Mike

Probably has a non-res. From the article:
If anyone tells you “non-resident permits are way better than resident permits in Massachusetts” they are either lying or have a car. Additionally, there are a lot of FFLs within a hop skip and a jump of the New Hampshire state border that are scared stiff of Massachusetts.

He posted that he has a non-res and is claiming he doesn't have to file a FA-10. I get the feeling he is going to get a costly lesson in Massprudience over this ill advised peacocking.

Near the start of the article:

I have a non-resident license in Massachusetts.

I believe they added that later.

The first version of the story, which I read earlier today, had no indication that he had any kind of license, just that he was a non-resident. I read very carefully looking for that. It's possible I missed it, but I think they modified the article.

Now I'm off to throat-punch myself. Woodsy said so.

Probably has a non-res. From the article:

Maybe. You would think he would have harped on that in the beginning- if he actually had one- EG, the pain in the ass factor of getting that license, and the built in stupidity that getting it didn't entitle him to buy any guns here, etc. Maybe talking about simons rock briefly. I didn't see one word about any of that in the article.

ETA: I guess he does, as Picton just stated. Like him, I know it literally was not there when I first read the article. Regardless I think he does a disservice to the people reading to not discuss how obnoxious that license is to obtain.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom