Have you ever had your car searched by the Police

Have YOU ever had your vehicle searched by the Police

• Yes

Votes: 99 30.7%
  • No

Votes: 223 69.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, once, when crossing into Canada by the Canadian Customs Police. The 2 officers were wearing blue body armor including shoulder armor and crotch armor (a la "Super Troopers"). They were armed with batons, mace, cuffs, and side arms. No helmets though. [rolleyes]

Skip to 1:48 for crotch armor:

They asked me to step out of the vehicle and proceeded to search everywhere accessible (passenger compartment, glove box, under seats, and the trunk and under the spare tire). They did not remove seats or flooring or look under the vehicle.

They were sorely disappointed that they did not find anything and let me go. It took about 10 minutes.

Super Troopers was on this morning around 230, couldn't sleep and the movie is funny as hell!

Last edited by a moderator:
My legal studies teacher in high school once dedicated a full class on how important it was to keep our beer locked in the trunk. And he instructed us to use the following statement regarding vehicle searches:

"Sir, I respectfully refuse your request to search my vehicle. However, if you believe you have the legal authority to do so without a warrant, I will not interfere."

He told us that once the coppers heard that they'd move on to a softer target. Never got a chance to test it out though.

You mean you for some reason consented to a field sobriety test.

In some states (like NH) refusing that is grounds for an automatic breathalyzer test and if you refuse that an automatic license suspension regardless of whether you have a drop of alcohol in your system or not.

Yes it is bullshit. But that is the way it is and there are too many statists in the house and senate to ever repeal it.

And if you are under 21 refusing a field sobriety test might also be grounds for automatic license suspension.

I've not been searched but I have been asked to do a FST. I was 18 or 19 at the time and was coming back to the dorm from an engagement party (I didn't drink as I was driving, though my passenger who was 21 had been drinking). Like I said in NH refusal to do a FST is bad news especially for those under 21. I was let go because the cop said I was honest and told to slow down (20 over on 93 in Concord at 3am and it would have been 30 over since the limit changed to 55 but I dropped 10mph since the limit changed).

DING! DING! DING!. No more calls please, we have a winner.

Asked to step out, subjected to a field sobriety test, and visual inspection or the interior of the vehicle without opening any compartments. Lesson learned: when taking an exit off the highway, make sure it's an exit and you're not just following a state trooper down a police access ramp. I was sober, FYI.

The only time for me was at Fort Meade back in 1972. We were four GI's coming back on base at 3:00 am.

We were all tripping on acid....high as a kite, and no alcohol[smile]

This young MP pulled us over, and we started laughing at him....he got pissed and made us all get out of the car.

He searched all of our pockets...then searched the car and found a roach in the ashtray. Dumb ass thought he won the lottery as he got on the radio and
called the duty NCO.

The MP Duty NCO showed up...took the roach from him and promptly ate it! He then looked at the rookie and told him he was a piece of shit for harassing
Vietnam Vets.

A few weeks later, that same rookie MP pulled someone else over and found a small bag of white powder. Like a stupid cop from a TV show, licked his finger
and stuck it in the powder and tasted it, and said it "tasted like drugs." It turned out to be Acid......and he ended up in the psyche ward at the hospital in a few hours.

We figured he got at least fifty doses on his fingertip

Last we heard, he got a Medical Discharge.......what a dumbass![rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

Edit to add: Yes, this is a true story...I was there both times![smile]

Last edited:
once by the popo and quite a few times for work. While working for a compnay that had a LOT of federal and state business I would be at secure facilities at least 1x a week. The bases were hit or miss, some times they would search, sometimes I'd have to drive into a "x-ray" box, sometimes they waved me through. The nuke plant was the toughest and when they were building souza baranowski the searched really well too

before then, back in '91 I was living in Philly and ran a stop sign, and right over a curb and into a parking lot where 2 cop cars were. I had a few drinks in me and they were arresting me for OUI when they search the car and the 2 guys I was with. 1 guy had a small bag of weed, and he got locked up. I had my pistol under the drivers seat, they INSTANTLY forgot they were arresting me for OUI and shifted to a VUFA arrest (I think it's called VUFA- violation of uniform firearm act?). I had my CCW application turned into the police the week before and my lawyer got me a deal to plead "no contest" and in return I'd get 1 year "ARD"- which translated to stay out of trouble for a year and it would be expunged from my record. I stayed out of trouble and it was gone. I'm sure if someone dug deep enough it would turn up, but in 20+ years of record checks it's never shown. I've been questioned on applications for my LTC/CCW because it doesn't show up but I list it on any applications because I don't want to get caught lying. Jobs have done background checks, and for 2 jobs I had clearances, non had ever mentioned that arrest.

Searched so many times under 21 I was about to the point of just putting a Search Me sticker on the back window. 3 of those times I had beer on me and was honest with the police and told them it was in the trunk they were about to search. They respected my honesty and let me go every time. One cop even said the night is still young to find someone else to get me some more beer.

NY is notorious for DUI check points out in the middle of absolutely nowhere. I was driving in the middle of East BumF and a few cars flashed me and I could see a bunch of red flashing lights in the distance. I thought there was a fire or accident, yeah not so much. I forgot NYSP has red flashing lights and it was a DUI stop [banghead]. He asked if I was drinking, I said no, he said pull it in! I had a few beers in me and ended up blowing under the limit for a minor. One buddy had an open beer in the back seat so they searched the car. Before he searched I told him where all the booze was, he respected my honesty and let us go, but again we lost the beer.

One time by Vermont Fish and Game during deer season. He just wanted to check the rifles in the back window to make sure they weren't loaded. Had a few run-ins with Vermont Fish and Game and was always a pleasant experience.

I was staying in a Hilton in Tampa, FL a few years ago and had the cops banging on the door at 3am. They said they were searching for a stolen IPhone that the find my phone app pinpointed to here. I say....wow! That phone can tell you which hotel room it's in?!?! They asked to search my room so I let them. I know....shouldn't have without a warrant...but I had nothing to hide, my wife and I didn't have an IPhone, and wanted to go back to sleep. They pawed around for a minute and realized how stupid they actually look. They apologized and went on their way. They said at least we will have a good story to tell about our vacation. I laughed because it was nice hotel and that was the last thing I was expecting to happen at a Hilton.

In some states (like NH) refusing that is grounds for an automatic breathalyzer test and if you refuse that an automatic license suspension regardless of whether you have a drop of alcohol in your system or not.

Yes it is bullshit. But that is the way it is and there are too many statists in the house and senate to ever repeal it.

And if you are under 21 refusing a field sobriety test might also be grounds for automatic license suspension.

Just a heads up for MA folks. This is NOT the case in MA. Compliance with a FST is 100% not mandatory. Its considered to be a 5A issue with respect to self incrimination.

However, you must take a chemical sobriety test if requested. You still have the 5A on your side as far as criminal proceedings are concerned. But if you refuse s CST, the RMV can administratively revoke your DL.

So, my statement on the side of the road is:

I don't mean any offense, but I'm going to decline your invitation for a FST.
If he tells me refusing a sobriety test will result in a revoked license I tell him that he is confusing a FST with a Chemical sobriety test
If you feel you have RAS for a CST I am not refusing a CST.

Don

p.s. There is case law in MA where someone tried to get the FST results thrown out (they provided justification for a CST) because the officer did not tell the person that they did not have to take the FST. The person lost. So in MA the FST is optional, but the police don't have to tell you that.

One time coming back from a weekend in Montreal with a friend, I was stopped at the border when re-entering the US. The reason for the stop is that she had a NH drivers license and I had a MA drivers license. That was it. We were in her van and I honestly can't imagine that the search took more than 15 seconds since it was utterly empty inside. I was brought into an interrogation room where 2 customs agents grilled me about what was I doing in Canada, why is the other person from a different state, etc. Meanwhile 6 giant looking guards stood outside watching me I guess waiting for the arrest and strip search or something. I was pretty scared since I had no idea of what was going on. They asked for a second form of ID, and all I had was a BJ's wholesale club card that had my picture on it, and then it was over you're free to go, welcome to the USA. I still don't understand what the problem was to be honest. I had no weapons, nothing that could be counted as contraband. Heck I didn't even have a pack of canadian chewing gum.

The crazy part is, about 10 miles into the no mans land of northern Vermont, the van broke down, so we called for a tow truck to take us to White River Junction. About half way back, the tow truck broken down which required yet another tow truck for the tow truck. I left Montreal early in the morning, and didn't end up getting back until 3AM the next day. When I made it back to a park and ride in White River Junction, someone had hit my pickup truck pretty hard and the bed was all bent in. I haven't been back to Canada since then. It's not worth the aggravation.

I was heading up to camp in NH with 2 buddies and got stopped by a Hooksett cop for a 'marked lane violation' pulling into a McDonalds for road munchies. (underaged) He searched the truck and decided it was more profitable for him to confiscate the 5 cases and write the ticket, which I gladly paid. There was a package store a few doors down, we bought 5 more cases, and were on our way.

One time coming back from a weekend in Montreal with a friend, I was stopped at the border when re-entering the US. The reason for the stop is that she had a NH drivers license and I had a MA drivers license. That was it. We were in her van and I honestly can't imagine that the search took more than 15 seconds since it was utterly empty inside. I was brought into an interrogation room where 2 customs agents grilled me about what was I doing in Canada, why is the other person from a different state, etc. Meanwhile 6 giant looking guards stood outside watching me I guess waiting for the arrest and strip search or something. I was pretty scared since I had no idea of what was going on. They asked for a second form of ID, and all I had was a BJ's wholesale club card that had my picture on it, and then it was over you're free to go, welcome to the USA. I still don't understand what the problem was to be honest. I had no weapons, nothing that could be counted as contraband. Heck I didn't even have a pack of canadian chewing gum.

The crazy part is, about 10 miles into the no mans land of northern Vermont, the van broke down, so we called for a tow truck to take us to White River Junction. About half way back, the tow truck broken down which required yet another tow truck for the tow truck. I left Montreal early in the morning, and didn't end up getting back until 3AM the next day. When I made it back to a park and ride in White River Junction, someone had hit my pickup truck pretty hard and the bed was all bent in. I haven't been back to Canada since then. It's not worth the aggravation.

My attitude is always to be compliant and respectful when entering a foreign country. God only knows what their laws are. Also, they don't have to let me in.

But I'm much more assertive when coming INTO the US. The CBT agents work for US. I had an agent get aggressive with me about a backup tape in my luggage. I told him I was done talking with him until he changed his attitude. (I was coming back from a business trip to Milan where I was helping to close a site. The backup tape was a duplicate of some clinical data). He threatened to take the tape ad wanted to know what was on it. I told him none of his business and he could destroy it if he wanted, and that it was encrypted, so not to bother trying to read it.

I was let out of the conference room after about 20 minutes. Reason number 27 why I'm on more than one "list".

Last edited:

Oh, that happens to me half the time I've made trips to Canada. For some reason, the crossing at Campobello Island is where they always go full retard... I have to get out, wait in a waiting room, they search car, and they make calls back to the US to see if I'm really supposed to be there. I'm not sure what they are so worried about... its not as if I'm going to go swimming from the island to the mainland in the freezing cold Maine waters.

First time I was searched I was just a dumb 19 year old kid. I was stopped by the Taunton Police, they confiscated the 30 pack of Budweiser in my back seat and laughed at me. The Pats had a playoff game the next day and shared the news that it would come in handy. This was before the package stores were open on Sundays.

Second time I was around 30 or so and was pulled over because "It's 2 a.m. you're in Whittensville and your license says Somerset." "Can you tell me exactly what you're doing out here right now?" To which my reply was if I haven't done anything wrong and you're not writing me a ticket, I'd rather not say. He then proceeded to call in back up. At that point I informed him I was carrying a Glock and handed him my LTC. He still ransacked my car, and found nothing except a bottle cap. Definitely an anti-gunner. Oh well, I learned after that to stay away from the girls in Whittensville on the online dating sites.

If the street name is just a letter (A St. - B St. - etc) that is a sure sign to stay away. :)

Been pulled over maybe half a dozen times in my life. Searches never came up.

Once when I was 23 by a statie at around three in the morning. A**hole [STRIKE=dumped]dumped[/STRIKE] randomly placed the entire contents of my trunk onto the side of Rt.3N about a quarter mile past exit three, then just left when he was done. A few have asked since and told them no chance I was ever allowing that again.

My IROC (yeayea it was 1990).Was searched by Popo for no reason. I was hanging at a Buds house and my car was in his driveway, cops just came up to me and said let me see your license and started to rummage through my console

Never searched but I have run into the examples of total morons they hire for the US/CA border.

I used to travel to CA a lot. I decided to get my Nexus/Global Entry card which requires an interview at a boarder crossing. Went to the one in Champlain NY. Did the interview with both US and CA boarder police. Funny thing the CA one having an empty holster. She told me they don't let each other cross the boarder armed. heh.

After the interviews they told me I needed to go across the boarder to the CA custom house because they did not have a retinal scanner on the US side. Great. I did not fill out my paperwork at work for international travel and now I would have to fill out twice as much (security clearance).

Over I go. I am there 10 minutes. I was never more than 200 feet from the boarder. I drive back. The US side does a shift change. The fresh new (dumb) guy starts in.

"How long have you been in Canada"
"10 minutes"
dumb look
"Did you buy anything"
"No, I never went past the customs house right there" pointing
"How long..."
"Did you buy..."
Over and over. He could not believe the answers. I was at the booth longer than I was in Canada.

They don't hire them for their brains.

to inventory contents, because the drivers for the tow company have been known to steal things
A LONG time ago (25 years+) I remember a tow truck driver bragging to me about the stuff he had "found' in cars and kept. From that point on, I never trusted him as I knew he was a common thief.

I was around 18 driving in town with a friends cousin.We were around the Kemore Sq. area when some guys in another car started some trouble with us,before you know it my friends cousin has my AR15 that I had in the back seat in a case pointed out the window at the guys.Well I got the hell out of there yelling at the idiot for pulling the gun out.Just when I thought we were clear, on comes the blue lights out of the car we go the guys identify my friends cousins as the one with the gun.I told the cops that he was not from the city and got scared,and pulled the gun before I could stop him.So of to jail he goes, and so does my gun.I could not help notice that as they were loading him in the paddy wagon someone had taken a shit in the wagon, and it was still there.So he ends up getting 2 years probation,and a year latter I get a letter from Boston PD to come pick up my gun at the station near the southEnd. To this day I still have that letter.

Never searched but I have run into the examples of total morons they hire for the US/CA border.

Some of them do seem to have intelligence issues. I recall the very first time I drove across to Canada over by Niagara, mid 90's sometime. He kept asking in different ways if I was "leaving anything" behind in Canada, such as "photos". He asked in a number of different ways, mostly about leaving photos behind. To this day I'm still unsure what that was about. Did he think I was hand delivering naked pics of myself across the border or something? (Trust me, no one would want them!)

Nope, If I was asked to consent to a search, the answer would be "Sir, I don't not consent to any searches or seizures of my person or property, I am invoking my 5th and 4th amendment rights".

Last edited:
Just a heads up for MA folks. This is NOT the case in MA. Compliance with a FST is 100% not mandatory. Its considered to be a 5A issue with respect to self incrimination.

However, you must take a chemical sobriety test if requested. You still have the 5A on your side as far as criminal proceedings are concerned. But if you refuse s CST, the RMV can administratively revoke your DL.

So, my statement on the side of the road is:

I don't mean any offense, but I'm going to decline your invitation for a FST.
If he tells me refusing a sobriety test will result in a revoked license I tell him that he is confusing a FST with a Chemical sobriety test
If you feel you have RAS for a CST I am not refusing a CST.

Don

p.s. There is case law in MA where someone tried to get the FST results thrown out (they provided justification for a CST) because the officer did not tell the person that they did not have to take the FST. The person lost. So in MA the FST is optional, but the police don't have to tell you that.

Had a DUI lawyer that came to class in college tell us that you could refuse a FST, but they would likely arrest you and take you to the station for the mandatory breathalizer. He said take that one so you dont lose your license for 6 months, then call a lawyer. Said any lawyer worth the $ could argue the arrest was without merit because they had no concrete proof you were drunk, so they had no probable cause to arrest you. Fruit of the poison tree etc. Not sure how well it would hold up, but he did give an interesting lecture.

It generally holds up.

They need reasonable articulable suspicion (RAS) to do a CST. The source for that RAS is usually a field sobriety test. Refuse the FST, and they are usually left with the haggard old "I smelled alcohol". Especially if its a sobriety road block. In that case you just happened upon it. So there is even less RAS. If he pulls you over because he observed you cross a double yellow, then its not so easy.

Don

p.s. I used to make sport of "educating" cops at checkpoints. It was fun for a while. It was very useful however because I no longer get any butterflies in my stomach when dealing with LEOs. The ballsiest thing I did was make a legal 3 point turn about 100 ft from a checkpoint and drive away. A cop chased after me and pulled me over. He asked me why I turned around. I asked him if it was illegal to turn around. . . you know how the story goes. Now I have children and don't have any time for that kind of sport. This was all of course done with a BAC of 0.00%

Coming from Canada when I was a long haired band member we were stopped at the border and asked a few questions and let go while the minivan with a family of 5 was beimg dismantled. We were not profiled but they were. This was 1986.

Back
Top Bottom