Have you ever had your car searched by the Police

Have YOU ever had your vehicle searched by the Police

• Yes

Votes: 99 30.7%
  • No

Votes: 223 69.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yea, kind of what I always have assumed, Always figured he was coked out or whatever and was looking for something to help with the comedown. Mainly because of how twitchy and unsafe he was. The encounter was like something out of super troopers but I'm 99% sure he was alone so there was no one for him to share the joke with.

I know a guy who got searched once when entering Los Alamos. A Coleman Lantern can trigger radiation detectors, because the mantles are treated with Thorium.

Ive also read about a guy that was pulled over because some cops radiation detector went off when he drove by, he had had one of those medical tests where they give you something radioactive to make things show up.

Ever read "the radioactive boyscout"? He used a huge pile of those and some chemical reactions to concentrate the thorium into something strong enough (he thought) to create a nuclear reactor. If I am not mistaken, his parents garden shed (where he did it all) is the only private residence to ever be declared a supperfund site...

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

He also used the isotope from smoke detectors he got from the manufacturers (Broken, said they were for some science class or something) and uranium ore he got from someplace and built an experimental fast breeder reactor. He got worried when he could detect the radiation several houses away. Feds had to clean the place up. He ended up becoming a reactor tech in the Navy when he got older.

He also got arrested later for stealing smoke detectors, probably to try again. [laugh]

http://www.dangerouslaboratories.org/radscout.html

Last edited:
Ive also read about a guy that was pulled over because some cops radiation detector went off when he drove by, he had had one of those medical tests where they give you something radioactive to make things show up.
That's why SOP is for medical personnel to issue the testee a card explaining why they glow.

Some of you might think I am idiot, but at least twice I was asked by officers if I minded if they searched my car.

Both times I told them "No Sir, help yourself."...and both times the said thank you and sent me on my way without a search.

The reason why I wouldn't give consent even though there is literally 0% chance of finding anything wrong, is that from what I understand: If I tell a cop go ahead and search and he yanks my laptop bag out of the car and throws it to the ground, then I am on the hook for replacing my laptop. On the other hand, if I say no to a search and he does it anyways, I have grounds to sue since he destroyed my laptop by dropping it on the ground in an illegal search. If I am doing nothing wrong and am not a suspect in anything, then I see no reason why I should be the one "on the hook" for saying go ahead as a way to "prove" my innocence. He can call drug sniffing dogs or whatever, but it still won't change my position.

I've never consented to having my vehicle searched, but it has been searched once by a MA State Trooper when I was 17. I was driving home on rt. 495 in my dad's truck with my friend in the passenger seat when the cop pulled up behind us and flashed his lights. He ripped me out of the truck, gun in one hand, my arm in the other and threw me over to the side of the highway, then ordered my friend out of the truck. He made the two of us do pushups on the side of the highway, and told us that if either of us looked at him we'd be arrested. He took my wallet and my friend's ID and continued screaming at us for several minutes, before ordering us to lie face down on the side of the highway and not move. He proceeded to search the truck, without asking permission, then just got in his car and left without saying another word to us, leaving my wallet and my friend's ID on the driver's seat in the truck. After a few minutes we got back in the truck and continued on our way.

To this day, I have no clue why the cop pulled me over that day or acted like a complete piece of shit. I asked a friend who was on the MSP about it and he looked into it but no one reported pulling a vehicle matching the description of the truck over, no BOLOs or any other reason he could find that someone would have done something like this. So with no way to ID him, my only option was to just let it go.

ETA: My friend on the MSP did say that I should never consent to police searching my vehicle. No cop ever asks to search your vehicle looking for a reason to let you go. The only time a cop will ever ask to search your vehicle is if he's looking for a reason to put the cuffs on you.

Last edited:
The reason why I wouldn't give consent even though there is literally 0% chance of finding anything wrong, is that from what I understand: If I tell a cop go ahead and search and he yanks my laptop bag out of the car and throws it to the ground, then I am on the hook for replacing my laptop. On the other hand, if I say no to a search and he does it anyways, I have grounds to sue since he destroyed my laptop by dropping it on the ground in an illegal search. If I am doing nothing wrong and am not a suspect in anything, then I see no reason why I should be the one "on the hook" for saying go ahead as a way to "prove" my innocence. He can call drug sniffing dogs or whatever, but it still won't change my position.

Ultimately I don't think in that regard it matters, you're gonna get screwed by the PD either way.

Not consenting is important because the fact that they're even asking means they don't really have a good reason to search, because if they did they could just demand to search the vehicle.

-Mike

Ultimately I don't think in that regard it matters, you're gonna get screwed by the PD either way.

Not consenting is important because the fact that they're even asking means they don't really have a good reason to search, because if they did they could just demand to search the vehicle.

-Mike

My biggest fear is that since they know I have an LTC and even if I am not carrying, just the fact that they know that could make them want to do a fishing expedition on my car looking for a "storage violation" or something along those lines. That's what scares me, an anti-gun big scary cop who wants to rip my car apart, cuff me in his cruiser only to end up finding nothing and I'm left on the side of the road with thousands of dollars in damages to a 140k sports car. The worst part is in this state, our supreme court would justify any action by a cop if they have even the slightest hint that a citizen may be armed, legal or not.

Back
Top Bottom