• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Has a decocker ever failed for you and fired a live round?

I was at a range in the parking lot chatting with a couple of guys. Then crackBANG! Someone launched a 9mm down the parking lot and over our heads. The owner of the 9 apologized and said his decocker failed. He was unable to replicate the accident. Was it an ND or did the decocker really fail? But since then I double check that the muzzle is in a safe direction before I hit the lever.

I was at a range in the parking lot chatting with a couple of guys. Then crackBANG! Someone launched a 9mm down the parking lot and over our heads. The owner of the 9 apologized and said his decocker failed. He was unable to replicate the accident. Was it an ND or did the decocker really fail? But since then I double check that the muzzle is in a safe direction before I hit the lever.

I seriously doubt that the decocker failed, and even if it did, he clearly didn’t have it pointed in a safe direction.

lorena-bobbitt-235414-1-402.jpg

“What, I could have just flipped a lever on a Sig?”

I don't mind decocking my striker-fired pistols but it is a little strange not seeing a hammer, like on my Sig. Actually had a kid working at a local gun shop tell me striker pistols don't have a decocker as he was literally standing over a Walther P99. Perfect timing. I should've bet him

I haven’t handled a CZ with a decocker. Both of mine have safeties.

They're not that popular, but my CZ Phantom has one... (basically its a polymer framed SP01...).

CZ has this new Omega line that's easily user-convertible.... decock if you want it, or conventional safety w/ DA/SA... which is sort of a big deal for them because previously you couldn't convert systems.

-Mike

They're not that popular, but my CZ Phantom has one... (basically its a polymer framed SP01...).

CZ has this new Omega line that's easily user-convertible.... decock if you want it, or conventional safety w/ DA/SA... which is sort of a big deal for them because previously you couldn't convert systems.

-Mike

My CZ P01 Omega came with a safety lever in the box, but I left it in decocker config.

Bull that was an ND plain and simple. This week a guy on a cz board claimed that his SP01 tactical discharged when he decocked it. Then another member posted an old post of the same guy showing how he used a Beretta holster that kind of fit but exposed his trigger.

Besides the Lorena Bobbit joke- I do want to add that I have never heard of a problem with a de-cocker and like them on my Sigs. One of my best friends was a career SS guy and had a P229 for most of his career. He and his buddies never had problems with the P229's.

Yeah, I imagine decockers suffer heavily from the "the gun just went off!" myth. People who ND either don't even realize they yanked or snagged the trigger, or they don't want to admit it.

There are some older guns out there where the decockers aren't considered safe anymore. The C&R CZ-52 is considered unsafe. Something about the design makes it so if a part fails, the decocker results in hammer striking the firing pin. This isn't just myth, it's reproducible. There's a pencil test. Put a pencil down the barrel and decock. The firing pin will push the pencil if it moves forward. But thats a specific design flaw that shouldn't apply to decockers in general if they properly designed to be a fail safe, as opposed to fail unsafe.

IMNSHO, if your pistol has a decocking lever, use it. If it doesn’t , take extra care. Whether your pistol does or does not have a decocking lever, keep your gun pointed in a safe direction while decocking.
This.

I've used the decocker on my P226 many, many, times and never had an issue. I make to keep it in as safe a direction as possible when using it, though, as there isn't any reason not to.

Not once. When we moved from Berettas to Sigs it made me nervous because it was more "pushbutton" and you don't see the firing pin being blocked. Scariest of all was the P2000 man the decocker looks like an aftermarket tin piece of junk! But no, to date, no decocker discharges. Safe direction is always a plus, though.

My Glock decocker has never failed. The only time it's ever fired a live round is when there is one in the chamber.

Yeah, I imagine decockers suffer heavily from the "the gun just went off!" myth. People who ND either don't even realize they yanked or snagged the trigger, or they don't want to admit it.

There are some older guns out there where the decockers aren't considered safe anymore. The C&R CZ-52 is considered unsafe. Something about the design makes it so if a part fails, the decocker results in hammer striking the firing pin. This isn't just myth, it's reproducible. There's a pencil test. Put a pencil down the barrel and decock. The firing pin will push the pencil if it moves forward. But thats a specific design flaw that shouldn't apply to decockers in general if they properly designed to be a fail safe, as opposed to fail unsafe.

IIRC a lot of the really old milsurpy CZ guns are just not safe to carry a round in the pipe regardless. Some guy on Sigforum posted a story about a dude that had an ND in a church involving a CZ52, he sat down and it "went off" because the safety failed somehow. Then we actually had a member on the forum that had a CZ-82 that fell out of his bathrobe pocket and shot him in his calf or something when it hit the tile floor in his bathroom. Guy said he had to go to the hospital but thankfully because it was only a 32 it didn't do a shitload of damage to his calf.

-Mike

My decoker on my 92FS broke a couple years ago. No impact to the gun safety. It actually let me carry the gun with the hammer cocked back while the "safety" was on. Since the firing pin is rotated, it has zero chance of going off.

Eventually I had it fixed

Back
Top Bottom