Harvard student told to move due to legal firearms, after roommates search her room

I'll try again.

In Boston, the general practice is for all residents to sign the lease and, if students, provided a notarized parental guarantee. Each occupant, and guarantor, is liable on a joint an several basis which means the landlord can collect the full amount from any party.
However, moving out also doesn't release the roomies from their contractual obligation. Each of them is also on the hook for the entire amount of the lease, whether they live there or not.

With employment, it is immediate and cheap for the company - your fired, leave the building now, we will mail your check.

Actually, if you are fired, they are obligated to produce your final paycheck upon demand.

Again, this varies by state. In Texas, someone who is fired only has to be paid the full amount due on their next regular pay cycle. In New Hampshire, it's cash on the spot, with a minimum of two hours for the "termination session".

However, moving out also doesn't release the roomies from their contractual obligation. Each of them is also on the hook for the entire amount of the lease, whether they live there or not.
Correct, but I'd bet that moving out at the request of the landlord or his agent would relieve that tenant of any obligation - despite the landlord's assertion that it would take the other roommates covering the rent to effect such a release.

Can you please explain what a "Heritage American" is, and how genetics determine politics?

"Heritage American" isn't a genetic concept, it refers to someone whose lineage can be traced back to multiple generations of Americans, usually to a time before the welfare state. Supposedly someone who is likely to have a history of American family values (free speech, self defense, rugged individualism, etc), and not likely someone whose parents/grandparents simply enjoyed the concept of free shit, and lack of lines for bread and toilet paper. Nothing to do with race, sorry.

The roommates need a lesson in MYOB, I hope she hires Langer and he does his snarky, arrogant act on their asses. I'd chip in to watch.

He did that to me one time on the NES Facebook page, man, what a dick. By that measure I'm sure he's an excellent lawyer. [wave][kiss]

As a constable who has done evictions, you are understating it.

Evictions in MA are a paradox, where it is seemingly more difficult to evict a defaulting tenant than a paying tenant. Often times government steps in for a defaulted tenant under the guise that they are a special needs case. Sometimes that's true. Other times, the tenant is just a scumbag. That is one of the reasons I tend to avoid the Section 8 program. You're practically dictated terms by the state and are largely no longer in control.

Monthly check is not the total rent , tenant pays their share and the utilities.

Yes I know, but in the times I took section 8 it was at least 3/4 of the total rent from the state, so if the tenant missed it was not a big hit. I believe it's generally the tenant pays 30% of their income, and the rest by the state, so the amount varies per tenant.

I had a few very nice ones and a few train wrecks.

Mixed bag. But if/when things go south they tended to forget the nice things I did for them...

My best tenant of all time was a section 8. Had them for 7 years and never an issue. I knew they were gaming the govt system not being married etc but nothing I could do about that. I will say the girlfriend made me almond cookies every month so maybe I was just hooked on those LOL

Depends on the lease. Scholastic tenants frequently have, "survivor" clauses so than when someone flunks out or leaves the school the remaining tenants are responsible for the rent.

All this talk of lawsuits, but for what?

She wasn't evicted or locked out. She was asked to leave and she did. She could have told them to pound sand and installed a deadbolt on her bedroom door, but she didn't, and I don't blame her.

Lots of tough talk about taking a stand, but I wouldn't feel very secure in an apartment where multiple other people were openly hostile and already attempted to narc me out to the police.

Room mates have plenty of advantage to screw someone over if they are so inclined. Who knows what these fruit loops would do next? Or if they all move out overnight and leave you holding the $6k/month bag. Sure, you could sue the whole lot for their unpayed share, but good luck collecting. No amount of restitution of the court would be preferable to just avoiding the problem in the first place, unless you have plenty of liquid cash laying around and are inclined to dedicate a lot of personal time to legal battles. I'm guessing Harvard grad students miss on both marks. Sucks for her, but moving on is probably the smart play.

I'm not holding my breath on the police investigating a case of roomie tresspassing. Room mate squabbles don't really get onto the radar of police discretion, I would guess.

If the other roommates suddenly left, she would be screwed.... No chance of making them pay because the lease clearly states any and all of them are equally liable for the 6k,and the landlord hates her and she is still there, so take a guess who he would pursue for the full amount.

Last edited:
If the other roommates suddenly left, she would be screwed.... No chance of making them pay because the lease clearly states any and all of them are equally liable for the 6k,and the landlord hates her and she is still there, so take a guess who he would pursue for the full amount.

Yeah, joint liability can be tough. From the landlord's perspective, the responsible room mate who stays behind and wants to honor the lease is going to be much easier to get money from than the deadbeats who disappear one night.

I know Boston is a hot rental market and people renting with total strangers is common, but roomies really have a lot of ability to screw each other over. I'm glad I've never had to enter a lease with a total stranger!

Depends on the lease. Scholastic tenants frequently have, "survivor" clauses so than when someone flunks out or leaves the school the remaining tenants are responsible for the rent.
"Survivor" clauses may be common understanding between tenants, but it is inconceivable that a landlord would write a lease that would reduce his rights below that provided in the standard Greater Boston Real Estate Board lease.

Leases are written by landlords to protect the landlords interests and minimize the rights of tenants to the extent permitted by law.

"Heritage American" isn't a genetic concept, it refers to someone whose lineage can be traced back to multiple generations of Americans, usually to a time before the welfare state. Supposedly someone who is likely to have a history of American family values (free speech, self defense, rugged individualism, etc), and not likely someone whose parents/grandparents simply enjoyed the concept of free shit, and lack of lines for bread and toilet paper. Nothing to do with race, sorry.

So that would apply to whites and blacks who came to this country as indentured servants in the early 1600's as well as Africans who were brought here as slaves beginning approximately 20 years later?

Doesn't work that way. If they all left and she was left alone in the house the worst thing she would have to deal with was heating a giant house throughout winter (unless H&HW are included in the rent, LL cannot shut that off during winter even during eviction process). At that point if one person didn't pay rent they would all be jointly and severally in violation of the lease and the LL could either try to work it out or begin eviction proceedings against all parties of the lease. Eviction proceedings are a MINIMUM of 6 - 9 months, collecting no rent. He cannot pursue her individually, he would have to pursue all parties including guarantors.

"Survivor" clauses may be common understanding between tenants, but it is inconceivable that a landlord would write a lease that would reduce his rights below that provided in the standard Greater Boston Real Estate Board lease.

Leases are written by landlords to protect the landlords interests and minimize the rights of tenants to the extent permitted by law.

Furthermore, rental agencies (who technically do not represent anyone in the transaction) are going to want to appease the person who owns the product they get to market and make money off of year after year.

Let's see .... you posted at 2:12PM

So …. it was VB.

You should know better.

The less people who listen to that twit, the sooner he'll be gone.

I inferred "VB", too.
I assumed it was Mustn't Hear Radio because
Steve and Grace were all over this for an hour on Friday afternoon, ~70 hours earlier.

NESers have a vested interest in the story,
and it's evolving.
But did VB raise a single point
that we hadn't hashed to death here the week before?

Back
Top Bottom