• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harvard student told to move due to legal firearms, after roommates search her room

$6k/month for an apartment in Boston? 72 thousand dollars a year???? I'm out in the sticks of Western MA, Boston people: is this even remotely possible unless you are living in a palace with servants?
There was a reference to 6 other roommates in the article.

$6k/month for an apartment in Boston? 72 thousand dollars a year???? I'm out in the sticks of Western MA, Boston people: is this even remotely possible unless you are living in a palace with servants?
It's either a really high-end place (probably in Seaport) or she had a bunch of roommates.

There was a reference to 6 other roommates in the article.

Ah OK, I missed that thanks. I don't get how she would be responsible for all the $6k rent unless she was the only one on the lease, and then how would they kick her out? If she was the leaseholder & the roommates moved out, I would think with that high demand she could get new more open minded ones easily.

I can't even wrap my head around the situation, its a different world out here, I hunt squirrels with 22lr off my back deck

Ah OK, I missed that thanks. I don't get how she would be responsible for all the $6k rent unless she was the only one on the lease, and then how would they kick her out?
I'll try again.

In Boston, the general practice is for all residents to sign the lease and, if students, provided a notarized parental guarantee. Each occupant, and guarantor, is liable on a joint an several basis which means the landlord can collect the full amount from any party. Sometimes as roommates change, you may end up in a situation where only some are on the lease. In multiple roommate situations, where the size of the apartment makes it obvious it is not one person, the landlord, via the agent the renter pays, will not generally accept only one name on the lease. Plus, there is the matter of the agent seeing the multiple roomies when showing the unit. Remember, the agents are professionals who represent the financial interest of the landlord and know the tricks.

Under joint and several, the renter's liability is NOT limited to her share.

Be VERY aware of this when guaranteeing your kid's lease, and pay attention to the other parents - if they are all out of state, or in-state attorneys, guess who the landlord willl go after first :mad:

Of course, declaring someone owes $$, and even getting a court order, is a far cry from actually collecting.

Last edited:
I was a rental agent in Somerville/ Cambridge for 8+ years, we own a rental property there and I know all the laws as well as the tricks. I’ve rented Dave Lewis’ apartments. Dude is a MAJOR blowhard. Unless things have changed he uses a standard GBREB lease agreement with standard clauses, including jointly and severally. He also has an addendum, and from what I remember there was never any mention of prohibiting guns. I’ve written thousands of leases, and never once have I seen anyone write anything regarding tenants and firearms.

IMO she should fight this. As Rob has stated the tenants are all jointly and severally responsible, most likely the parents are too. If that’s the case that puts 12 people on the lease, all on the hook for the $6K rent. Being afraid of a roommate that owns a firearm is not a valid legal reason to break a lease.

I may be wrong, and I didn't read all the posts here, but the roommates going into her room unauthorized may be breaking and entering.
I think there was a court case. Not sure if it was MA NH or CA. Had tenants in all 3. MA by far the worst.
NH they are out for under $1K in under 2 months.

I hope this is resolved in a manner that makes her happy and that gives the moonbat roomies what they deserve.

Ever notice how girls with guns tend to be hotter than average?

0-2.jpg

She's a real cutie, as are the NES ladies, WAGs, and daughters. Perhaps this was rooted in jealousy and the GUNZ!!! were just icing? I'll bet that her roommates looked more like this than like her:

resize

Last edited:
Public housing authorities are routinely sued for "no firearms" lease clauses and lose. Preventing the practice of a civil right within a person's "home" even if the home is someone else's property is going to be a hard fight in court for a landlord to defend short of the "cuz guuuunz" doctrine. I could see this eventually worming its way up to SCotUS.

Unfortunately is the landlords rules when You rent. Sucks but that’s how it works in the rental world.
If it's not explicitly written into the lease, it's not enforceable.

Sue the roommates, sue the landlord.

She has a reasonable expectation of privacy in her room. There is so much fail here. I hope she lawyers up and sues. BTW the twitter comments are incredibly ignorant.
^^^^^^
THIS!

wow, Harvard and $6k/month rent. Hopefully dad has enough money to make a point.
Of course. Every college area is like that. Supply and demand. College students are happy to pay $1K a piece to live in a 3br flat. This, of course, keeps families with children out too and that keep school enrollment numbers down.
[San Fran has the lowest number of kids per household of any city because it is too expensive for families with kids.]

Unfortunately, yes. The national real estate market has split and the desirable coastal cities have shot into space. About the cheapest rental you can find in Cambridge is $850.00/month and that's for a 150 square foot bedroom with shared bath and kitchen. A nice apartment in a good location easily gets $1,500/month per bedroom, particularly if there's more than one shared bathroom available.

It's no way to live but when you're young it's not so bad I guess, unless you have crazy roommates.

Of course. Every college area is like that. Supply and demand. College students are happy to pay $1K a piece to live in a 3br flat.
When I was in college, my share of my first apartment was $25 per month. I decided to move into a better area and find a place with a roof that did not leak and paid $37.50 per month. I was able to pay for rent and food on my 10 hour $4.50/hour part time job.

Unfortunately, yes. The national real estate market has split and the desirable coastal cities have shot into space. About the cheapest rental you can find in Cambridge is $850.00/month and that's for a 150 square foot bedroom with shared bath and kitchen. A nice apartment in a good location easily gets $1,500/month per bedroom, particularly if there's more than one shared bathroom available.

It's no way to live but when you're young it's not so bad I guess, unless you have crazy roommates.
My job requires me to spend up to two months at a time in Shanghai. Company has a long term lease for one room in a 4 BR flat. 4 other people in the apartment because an unwed couple lives in one room. Total drag for duration. My den at home in NC is >2X bigger than this tiny room I am stuck in.
My younger Chinese colleagues with MSEE's can barley afford rent for a single room in an apartment. A huge percentage of units are rented this way. So it is not limited to US cities.

I hope this is resolved in a manner that makes her happy and that gives the moonbat roomies what they deserve.

Ever notice how girls with guns tend to be hotter than average?

0-2.jpg

She's a real cutie, as are the NES ladies, WAGs, and daughters. Perhaps this was rooted in jealousy and the GUNZ!!! were just icing? I'll bet that her roommates looked more this this than like her:

resize
Imagine how'd the flatmates would freak out if came out of her room in full hunting cammo.

If it's not explicitly written into the lease, it's not enforceable.

^^^^^^
THIS!

Correct if it’s not written in there, it would appear there’s no legal standing to evict her. However this is Harvard and Massachusetts so I fully expect there to be an argument made that the “Comfort and Felling of Safety of her roommates trumps he right to carry a firearm “. I do hope she is able to sue her roommates and Harvard to pay for new housing and for the damage to the girls reputation they have embarked on.

With 6 roommates it’s $1000 a month/each. What is surprising about this?

Was the gun stored in a properly locked container while she was away? If she observed proper safe storage laws, all the roommates should have found was a locked box (or a gun with a trigger lock, I suppose...)

Yeah, they and the landlord are a**h***s, but this was avoidable if she'd either locked it up, or taken it with her.

Victim-blame much?

When I was in college, my share of my first apartment was $25 per month. I decided to move into a better area and find a place with a roof that did not leak and paid $37.50 per month. I was able to pay for rent and food on my 10 hour $4.50/hour part time job.
====> Gee, you must be old! And overpaid for the time. [smile] Mine was $375/mo, and I was only making $5/hr!

Yeah, unfortunately only Fox. You'll notice no Commie News Networks, American B*stard Commies or National B*stard Commies are running this.

Hey, she's a fellow gun owner. We let our own have a little more respect than your average teacher behaving badly.

This. I'd argue there is a reasonable chance that she someday might read this forum or may even come across this thread.

If the landlord and roommates want to play hardball, she should:
- Stop paying the rent immediately.
- Put a keyed lock on her bedroom door.
- Live rent-free until a court evicts her.
- If roommates/landlord lock her out, call the police to be let back in immediately.

I am not a lawyer so the above is probably terrible advice and shouldn't be followed :)

Can she charge the roomroomates for tresspass?
Im not sure what it takes to evict a healthy single white women in in this state.
I can tell you its hard as hell to get a protected class woman with child who was not even supposed to be living there out.
Short story
My dad rented to my brothers single friend as single tenant only as per rental agreement. Few months in girl is over on weekends , year later shes there all the time. My dad documents the best he can and installs out side camera and starts logging whos coming and going. Dad says ok shes LIVING here I want more rent. Tenant hems and haws where moving out in 3 months. 6 months later shes with child.
My dad proceeded with eviction at the 3 month point.
Basically tenant was ordered to vacate. Which he did but the girl stayed and said . "You cant get rid of me im having a kid soon" my dad did everything he could legally and it took 2 years to finally get her out.
Soon after we got the tenants from hell in all but one unit.
My dad sold all the property over this. Only property kept was single bedroom cottage down in middleboro. Old lady was great. Paid up front for several years at a time with a little deal with my dad that if there is more 3 months rent in the account to donate the balance to the local womens shelter.
When she died my dad gave the house to my mom who sold it.

You're obviously not a landlord in MA. Tenants have all the rights here.

Thats incorrect in many ways as indeed I was a landlord for over 20 years in Mass. In addition if you put something in the lease agreement and it is agreed to by the tenant, you can evict. Now can they try and play games, sure, but if you know the system well that lasts about a month. Can they wreck the place before they depart? Yes and in those cases they ended up in court paying for it. Best tenants I had were section 8 and newly arrived immigrants, had very few issues and some great food and homemade booze from them. As I said before when they sign the agreement, thats it. Ive evicted for drug use, abuse of the property, non payment, etc. and it worked out ok through the court system.

In this case the tenant is not evicted "yet" and because I dont know what her rental agreement looks like I can only assume. From the letter her Landlord sent , it appears there was no clause banning firearms in the rental until (good for her), however she was given the OK by the local LEO that indeed she was obeying the bizarre storage laws we have and was in compliance with the local laws on her possessing the firearm. She is set to go through her interview with the CLEO this month (lets just hope he does not get politically influenced to deny her).

So yes tenants have rights, but lets not play it like they are the supreme beings of all rental land, they are not.

Back
Top Bottom