Harvard student told to move due to legal firearms, after roommates search her room

I had to forgive like 5k in back rent and pay my Tenant space to leave and not even try to get them to pay for damages.

This is exactly the reason teachers do those school shooter nursery rhymes and hand out hockey pucks in class. It's to raise a generation of helpless weak children who are so afraid and hateful of guns and gun owners that they'll be willing to denounce their friends, family, and neighbors, Soviet style.

This can all go south for her if these scags pull a “she threatened me with her gun, officer” routine. As much as I’d like to see her go legally after her roommates, this could be more trouble than it’s worth. They’ve already judged her as a deplorable and I don’t think a judge within 10 miles of Boston will rule in her favor.

wow, Harvard and $6k/month rent. Hopefully dad has enough money to make a point.
Should have used some of that to put a lock on the door... I can’t imagine trusting a bunch of Harvard room mates to not be nosy entitled jerks. Of course then they would bitch to the landlord about the lock and say they feared the worst!!! Can’t fight the mentally ill, and they sound it.

Sit on your ass and "squat" for as long as makes your former roomies / landlord miserable, hun.

*edit*
Also practice pooping in weird places. Because why not. Vents, cupboards, crawlspaces, etc.

The article didn't address this. However, Capt. Donovan of the Somerville Police Dept. inspected her firearm(s) and said that everything was legal.
Story still needs a credible source.

Would have been interesting if the roommates had instead found a locked box with a weight in it and assumed it contained a firearm.

Really? I have managed many commercial rental properties in Concord and Littleton (the FFL headquarters) for many years. When there is an issue, the landlord gets it up the ass. But I'm a big boy and can take it. Jack.

I didn’t say I agreed with it. If I rent a house or multi fam it can be spelled out in there “No firearms on property” that’s all it takes and that’s a fact. As for a business it’s the same. I have a companies I work for and some you can’t even have it in your car on their land. So that’s that

My first thought is she should go to the district court and file applications against each roommate that entered her room and charge them with B&E. Merely opening the closed bedroom door is considered "breaking".

I don't think it works that way with roommates on the same lease. It is a good reason to have your door locked regardless.

Really? I have managed many commercial rental properties in Concord and Littleton (the FFL headquarters) for many years. When there is an issue, the landlord gets it up the ass. But I'm a big boy and can take it. Jack.
Lemme guess .... you've never had any trouble with one of your FFL tenants but have with others.
I didn’t say I agreed with it. If I rent a house or multi fam it can be spelled out in there “No firearms on property” that’s all it takes and that’s a fact. As for a business it’s the same. I have a companies I work for and some you can’t even have it in your car on their land. So that’s that
Employment and residential laws are quite different. For example, a landlord cannot get away with evicting someone for posting criticism of the landlord of social media, but an employer can fire someone for badmouthing the company.

It also varies by state. In some states, possession of a firearm in your car on company property is protected.

Plus, the enforcement mechanisms are different. With employment, it is immediate and cheap for the company - your fired, leave the building now, we will mail your check. With landlords in MA, it's the start of a nightmare if the tenant drags it out to the point where you are using force (eviction being served) rather than persuasion, and it can take the better part of a year.

-------------------------------------------

I wonder if she got a regular LTC based on her MA address or a temporary non-resident LTC.

Last edited:
If they found it, was it in a Ma compliant locked container that they couldn't tell what was in it?
And it depends what's stated in the lease.

A trigger lock or cable lock through the action satisfy MA's safe storage law. Either of which would leave it easily identifiable.

Section 131L. (a) It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user. For purposes of this section, such weapon shall not be deemed stored or kept if carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user.

If she puts up a GOFUNDME for legal defense, in.

Going rate in Southie is $1,000 to $1,200 per bedroom so that is some mighty rent.

Where is that and can I get one?

IMG_1833-v2-786x900.jpg

Lemme guess .... you've never had any trouble with one of your FFL tenants but have with others.

Employment and residential laws are quite different. For example, a landlord cannot get away with evicting someone for posting criticism of the landlord of social media, but an employer can fire someone for badmouthing the company.

It also varies by state. In some states, possession of a firearm in your car on company property is protected.

Plus, the enforcement mechanisms are different. With employment, it is immediate and cheap for the company - your fired, leave the building now, we will mail your check. With landlords in MA, it's the start of a nightmare if the tenant drags it out to the point where you are using force (eviction being served) rather than persuasion, and it can take the better part of a year.

-------------------------------------------

I wonder if she got a regular LTC based on her MA address or a temporary non-resident LTC.

Actually, if you are fired, they are obligated to produce your final paycheck upon demand.

Unfortunately is the landlords rules when You rent. Sucks but that’s how it works in the rental world.

This is my concern. My landlords and my wife and I have a great relationship. We’ve been here 13 years without a rent increase and no lease signed since year 2. We’re free to come and go as we please. It’s symbiotic, in that they’re older and I do household chores to help ensure our rent stays the same. Gutter cleaning, shoveling, maintenance and upkeep of the apartment.

My concern is, now that I am a recent gun owner(they know I was applying an LTC) if they decide they don’t like me owning guns, can they just tell me to leave? Legally am I at their mercy? It’s an inlaw apartment on top of everything. So we share mailing address and they deliver my abnormally heavy TSUSA boxes along with everything else.

You do not understand how Boston leases are generally written.

Each party agrees to "Joint and Several" liability. This means the landlord is free to go after any of the signatories for the full amount, with no obligation to even attempt to collect from other parties. There is also an almost universal requirement of a parental guarantee unless the student demonstrates income/assets sufficient to pay the lease in full (not just her share in a roommate situation).

Agency terms in Boston are "tenant pays fee", so almost all landlord use them. Professional agents are VERY good at writing leases that do not grant the tenant any rights or remedies not encoded in MGL and non-waivable.

Big difference. There is explicit legal protection for those who do not sexually identify in the traditional manner. Not so for gun owners.

Damn,had no idea.

Used to do that as well, usually nobody is happy to see you, but evictions were the worst. Also had my own run in with evicting a tenant, took over 6 months to get them out.

when I bought my home at a foreclosure auction it also took me 6 months in court to legally get the squatters out who lived here. sucked majorly

This is my concern. My landlords and my wife and I have a great relationship. We’ve been here 13 years without a rent increase and no lease signed since year 2. We’re free to come and go as we please. It’s symbiotic, in that they’re older and I do household chores to help ensure our rent stays the same. Gutter cleaning, shoveling, maintenance and upkeep of the apartment.

My concern is, now that I am a recent gun owner(they know I was applying an LTC) if they decide they don’t like me owning guns, can they just tell me to leave? Legally am I at their mercy? It’s an inlaw apartment on top of everything. So we share mailing address and they deliver my abnormally heavy TSUSA boxes along with everything else.

They would have to present you with a new lease that states no firearms. If a landlord just says I don’t want them on a whim, it would be months if not longer to get that through court. Just tell him you have it locked in a Martha Safe that is water right fireproof and requires a combination finger print and face recognition

I communicated briefly with her Dad on FaceBook. Offered her a place to store her guns on a short term basis if needed. And offered to take her shooting up here if she's interested. he was very appreciative.

Turns out my son lives in Somerville. He has roommates, and he has guns. They don't know. He keeps it on the low down. But they also know he's National Guard and that might buy him some shade.

Most of my past roommates had no idea I had guns, not even when I openly carried in the apartment or hauled rifle cases and ammo boxes to the car. One finally started to suspect it and asked if I had guns - I went back to my room and came back with a shotgun, which he was too afraid to even hold [laugh] He tried to complain that he was uncomfortable with guns in the house because his mother would freak out if she found out (yes, he actually said that; no, we weren't renting from her) but he was quickly told to STFU by me and our other roommate who'd just gotten out of the army.

Anyhow, what's most infuriating about this story is the behavior of the roommates and the landlord. The roommates SEARCHED HER ROOM and then RATTED HER OUT to the landlord, who, in turn, RATTED HER OUT to the cops. Also, the landlord's threat that she'd be responsible for the rent if her roommates moved out is basically empty - good luck with that in MA; this state very much protects tenants over landlords. She'd basically be able to not pay at all for several months and then move out and never look back and he wouldn't do a damn thing about it.

$6k/month for an apartment in Boston? 72 thousand dollars a year???? I'm out in the sticks of Western MA, Boston people: is this even remotely possible unless you are living in a palace with servants?

Last edited:
Was the gun stored in a properly locked container while she was away? If she observed proper safe storage laws, all the roommates should have found was a locked box (or a gun with a trigger lock, I suppose...)

Yeah, they and the landlord are a**h***s, but this was avoidable if she'd either locked it up, or taken it with her.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom